daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 1st, 2017, 09:17 PM   #16561
ufonut
Atlantyda
 
ufonut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,015
Likes (Received): 1732

Very cool video by DSzumaher

Czech/Polish border via Cieszyn to Bielsko Biala on S52 expressway.

__________________
Global Trekker

Luki_SL, kdpy, SRC_100, MAG, gr_kanev and 6 others liked this post
ufonut no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2017, 10:53 PM   #16562
Kemo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Segiet
Posts: 10,717
Likes (Received): 18742

A design & build contract was signed for the missing part of S11 Kępno bypass (the part south of S8), completion date summer 2020: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/51.2847/18.0002
________________________________

S5 near Żmigród, opening soon:





















(photos from project website)
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 11:00 PM   #16563
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,569
Likes (Received): 19357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
(photos from project website)
Won't these photos go offline once the project is completed and the project website is ceased?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 11:04 PM   #16564
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,569
Likes (Received): 19357

Warszawa - Minsk

I was reading some news about the upgrade of Belarusian M6 from Minsk to Grodno. They say the Polish part of the project is lacking.

Which led me to compare routes between Warsaw and Minsk on Google Maps, and to my surprise it turns out that the route via Białystok / Grodno has the exact same distance as the traditional route via Brest (both are 554 km between city centers).

I never thought of the route Warsaw - Białystok - Grodno - Minsk as a major international connection, but given the fact that S8 is nearing completion and Belarusian M6 being built as a motorway, that would make that route quite interesting for international traffic, isn't it? It could upgrade the status of the planned S19 north of Białystok as a major international route instead of 'just a road to Grodno'.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 11:18 PM   #16565
Kemo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Segiet
Posts: 10,717
Likes (Received): 18742

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Won't these photos go offline once the project is completed and the project website is ceased?

They will, but the websites stay online for several years. Like this one from A1 that opened 3.5 years ago: http://www.a1-czerniewice-brzezie.pl/

___________

S3 in Gorzów Wielkopolski, opening soon (this month)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmieciu View Post
Teraz, co nieco z góry, część pierwsza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I never thought of the route Warsaw - Białystok - Grodno - Minsk as a major international connection, but given the fact that S8 is nearing completion and Belarusian M6 being built as a motorway, that would make that route quite interesting for international traffic, isn't it? It could upgrade the status of the planned S19 north of Białystok as a major international route instead of 'just a road to Grodno'.
It won't even serve as "a road to Grodno" unless they change the ridiculous concept of "Great Bypass of Knyszyn Forest" (blue on the map):
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 11:28 PM   #16566
Richard_P
Registered User
 
Richard_P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sesame Street
Posts: 4,787
Likes (Received): 2571

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Which led me to compare routes between Warsaw and Minsk on Google Maps, and to my surprise it turns out that the route via Białystok / Grodno has the exact same distance as the traditional route via Brest (both are 554 km between city centers).
This is due to aberration between flat map and glob which is a sphere. You can notice that when measuring distance from Warszawa to Minsk the line is slightly leaning towards Białystok.


Due to that both routes are a detour and despite southern would look shorter on map while in reality it would be the northern one
__________________

MichiH liked this post
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 11:47 PM   #16567
Kemo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Segiet
Posts: 10,717
Likes (Received): 18742

S3 Legnica - Lubin. Completion date June 2018
Source: http://foto.lca.pl/foto,1506921345,foto.html

S3/A4 interchange


Going north


Old bypass of Legnica meets the new S3


Junction Legnica West (DK94)






Junction Legnica North




One of several ecoducts






Another one




And one more


Junction Lubin South and the city to the right
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 11:43 PM   #16568
Kpc21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Łódź
Posts: 18,329
Likes (Received): 6751

Ferry boats in Świnoujście (and the planned tunnel to replace them):

__________________
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 10:47 AM   #16569
Chris80678
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: York
Posts: 803
Likes (Received): 167

The last stretch of Nysa bypass (DK41) opens to traffic today at 14.00pm, thus completing the entire bypass
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 12:05 PM   #16570
Kemo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Segiet
Posts: 10,717
Likes (Received): 18742


Length: 9.1 km
2+1 lanes (not on the whole length, though)
Two roundabouts (at the beginning of the bypass and at the intersection with DW407), aside from these two points the road is grade-separated. There is a two-level interchange with DK46.
10 bridges, the longest one has 383 m (over Nysa Kłodzka river)
Construction took 30 months.

Map: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/50.4712/17.3692
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 02:41 PM   #16571
Kemo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Segiet
Posts: 10,717
Likes (Received): 18742

Some photos from the project website









DW407


(bridge over a planned waterway)




Nysa Kłodzka






Overpassing DW406


Interchange with DK46
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #16572
Kemo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Segiet
Posts: 10,717
Likes (Received): 18742

Driving video from "Wiślanka". It is a "gierkówka"-type highway (2x2 but with at-grade intersections) constructed in the '70s and '80s connecting the Silesian Metropolis with mountain resorts Ustroń and Wisła.
Notice the concrete pavement in Żory - it is now 10 years old.

Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 11:45 PM   #16573
db84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Trójmiasto
Posts: 3,777
Likes (Received): 2241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
Shame. I thought 2+1 formula is a temporary solution before making full 2x2. Would it hurt that much to build a 4 meter longer viaduct so it could accomodate the fourth lane below?

Besides, the above form of 2+1 is bullsh*t. A car breaks down on that single lane and there is no way to skip it, because there is a fence. In the real 2+1 concept the middle lane is, in a way, shared.
__________________

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
db84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:02 AM   #16574
Kpc21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Łódź
Posts: 18,329
Likes (Received): 6751

It would be OK, but there should be wide enough emergency shoulders. Then a broken car is not a problem.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 03:48 PM   #16575
Kemo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Segiet
Posts: 10,717
Likes (Received): 18742

Quote:
Originally Posted by db84 View Post
Shame. I thought 2+1 formula is a temporary solution before making full 2x2. Would it hurt that much to build a 4 meter longer viaduct so it could accomodate the fourth lane below?
The bypass was needed because the AADT was almost 17k in the city centre.
But AADT drops to about ~6.5k on the rest of DK41, so there's no real need to plan a 2x2 road.
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #16576
Kemo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Segiet
Posts: 10,717
Likes (Received): 18742

S3 in Gorzów opened today, half year behind schedule.

Doubled bridge on Warta:
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 03:25 PM   #16577
Chris80678
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: York
Posts: 803
Likes (Received): 167

When will second carriageway of S3 between Sulechów and Nowa Sól open to traffic? This stretch includes Zielona Góra bypass
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #16578
Egor-2017
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Minsk
Posts: 1
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I was reading some news about the upgrade of Belarusian M6 from Minsk to Grodno. They say the Polish part of the project is lacking.

Which led me to compare routes between Warsaw and Minsk on Google Maps, and to my surprise it turns out that the route via Białystok / Grodno has the exact same distance as the traditional route via Brest (both are 554 km between city centers).

I never thought of the route Warsaw - Białystok - Grodno - Minsk as a major international connection, but given the fact that S8 is nearing completion and Belarusian M6 being built as a motorway, that would make that route quite interesting for international traffic, isn't it? It could upgrade the status of the planned S19 north of Białystok as a major international route instead of 'just a road to Grodno'.
Belarusian M6 is being upgraded, but not as motorway, it will be just 2+2 road with advanced speed limits (up to 120), but not even experssway - the same like other recently built roads M4 and M5.
The shortest way between Warsaw and Minsk is S8 - Bobrowniki / Berestowica border cross - P99 - M1. But the shortest does not mean the fastest. Border can be the most important limited factor when planning the route.
Egor-2017 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 08:51 PM   #16579
Kanadzie
Registered User
 
Kanadzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,371
Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
It would be OK, but there should be wide enough emergency shoulders. Then a broken car is not a problem.
True but it doesn't really have - in above pic there is guardrail for the viaduct supports so close to the lane... if you have small accident there with the cars sideways nothing can pass anymore.
__________________
100 coups de fouet, si vous n'ętes pas morts de rire !
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #16580
Eulanthe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,228
Likes (Received): 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
another proof that the whole "motorway/expressway" thing makes no sense and should be changed.
For me, the most logical thing to do would be to make motorways tolled and expressways toll-free for cars. It would be absolutely clear then, and technical standards wouldn't have anything to do with it - except perhaps requiring a minimum standard of road (current S-standard) before tolls can be introduced.

I'd also suggest that expressways should also have blue signs rather than green ones.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium