daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #16641
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

I have to say, I don't like those signs. Signing nothing between Wrocław and Hradec Králové makes zero sense, especially as heavy traffic heading towards Hradec Králové is obliged to use DK8 anyway.

It's also going to be completely confusing as the S5 will run into the A8, where Kudowa and Lubawka are signed.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2017, 03:58 AM   #16642
masages21

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Still much better than "Zheshuv" seen on some signs in Ukraine... Who from non-Polish, non-Russian and non-Ukrainian speakers will understand which city it is?
I am Polish and it took me a moment to understand what you meant. If I were driving, I doubt, I would understand it.

Kanadzie liked this post
masages21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 05:30 AM   #16643
db84

Likes (Received): 2244

"Zheshuv" requires both: a knowledge of proper Polish pronunciation and a knowledge of English spelling curiosities. It is totally incomprehensible to anyone without both of them, so many Poles or other Slavs will not understand it anyway.

I believe that cities' names should always be written on signs as they are written in their original language. A person travelling to a foreign city must know its original name anyway.

Last edited by db84; November 7th, 2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typo
db84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #16644
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19160

Quote:
Originally Posted by db84 View Post
I believe that cities' names should always be written on signs as they are written in their original language. A person travelling to a foreign city must know it's original name anyway.
Absolutely. The same applies to good maps. They should show original names/spellings. That way if you use map on the ground you know what to look for on signs, what to ask for etc.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 11:44 AM   #16645
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Yeah, it was funny to see on polish GM e.g. SOLNOGRÓD instead of SALZBURG or GRADEC instead of GRAZ
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #16646
masages21

Likes (Received): 51

true, even GDDKIA uses the name of Lviv not Lwow so that everyone understands
masages21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #16647
db84

Quote:
Originally Posted by masages21 View Post
true, even GDDKIA uses the name of Lviv not Lwow so that everyone understands
That is actually against what I wrote. Since Ukrainian is the primary langauge of Lwów, it should be spelled as Львів.

If the Drogowskaz typeface has no Cyrylic characters, then the gov't should hire an artist to design Cyrylic characters for Drogowskaz.
Old November 7th, 2017, 12:30 PM   #16648
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18762

Using just "Lviv" is debatable. It should be Львів / Lviv or Львів / Lwów

Quote:
Originally Posted by db84 View Post
If the Drogowskaz typeface has no Cyrylic characters, then the gov't should hire an artist to design Cyrylic characters for Drogowskaz.
This is not an issue:
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #16649
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Still much better than "Zheshuv" seen on some signs in Ukraine... Who from non-Polish, non-Russian and non-Ukrainian speakers will understand which city it is?
Is there a photo of such a sign? That would be interesting. By the way, the name 'Zheshuv' is phonetically for 'Rzeszów', from Polish via Ukrainian to English.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kpc21 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 03:45 PM   #16650
chauffeur
Karyna Królów

Likes (Received): 10264

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRC_100 View Post

Yeah, it was funny to see on polish GM e.g. SOLNOGRÓD instead of SALZBURG or GRADEC instead of GRAZ
In Polish it would be Grodziec.

MajKeR_ liked this post
chauffeur está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #16651
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What does the 'f' mean?

Old November 7th, 2017, 07:03 PM   #16652
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17445

It`s a "design section" of expressway S5. Every new constructed section of road (expressway, motorway) get another letter next to road number begining from a (b, c, d.., etc.).
These letters are usually shown on kilometer posts.
Old November 7th, 2017, 07:23 PM   #16653
toonczyk
autostradożerca

I'm not sure if that's the case here, but often the different designation comes from the fact that until all sections of the road have all permits finalized (so the final route is chosen), there could be inconsistencies in distance label on kilometer posts, because distance to point 0 is unknown at the moment of building. That's one of the reasons they use different road number designations for different sections.

Tomczyna liked this post
toonczyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 08:51 PM   #16654
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18762

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Is there a photo of such a sign? That would be interesting. By the way, the name 'Zheshuv' is phonetically for 'Rzeszów', from Polish via Ukrainian to English.
https://www.google.com.ua/maps/@49.8...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:
What does the 'f' mean?
As explained above.
On route 7 we may soon run out of letters. For example, this section is numbered "7r": https://www.google.pl/maps/@52.1188881,20.8804336,15z
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #16655
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interestingly, the Ukrainian exonym for Rzeszów is not Же́шув (Zheshuv), but Ряшів (Ryashiv). But that wouldn't be any clearer to foreigners I'm afraid.
Old November 7th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #16656
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6773

They should just use the Polish (and, at the same time, international) name instead of the Russian one written phonetically in English...

Few people of those who actually need it (because they understand no Cyrylic) will understand it.

Ryashiv would be maybe a little bit better, because it begins, at least, with R, same as Rzeszów.

A Polish person seeing Zheshuv maybe will try to read it loud and then it will come to his mind... "But this is pronounced like Rzeszów, they must mean Rzeszów!". If only this person will understand some English. But a foreigner, not understanding Polish and not understanding Cyrylic... I doubt.
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #16657
Richard_P

Likes (Received): 2582

Quote:
Interestingly, the Ukrainian exonym for Rzeszów is not Же́шув (Zheshuv), but Ряшів (Ryashiv). But that wouldn't be any clearer to foreigners I'm afraid.
There is only one mistake - that during transliteration is wrongly used English version not any kind of Slavic version. The same implies to Russia and all due to fact that English version is needed for programming and other reasons thus it is wrongly implied in other places. In reality Же́шув translated using Polish version would be Żeszuw which is also bad but more understandable while using more common Slavic version it would be Žešuv which is also bad but more understandable than English Zheshuv.
Richard_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #16658
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I'm pretty certain that the average foreigner not aware of Polish pronunciation has no idea how names like Rzeszów or Łódź are pronounced. They are unlikely to link Zheshuv to Rzeszów.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie liked this post
Old November 7th, 2017, 10:05 PM   #16659
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6773

Exactly. So spelling such names phonetically on signs is really a bad idea.

Although sometimes you have no choice, like spelling the originally Cyrylic names in a country using Latin alphabet. Then the default transcription used in the language of the given country may differ from the English one, for example.

The spelling of the the Cyrylic names (in Latin alphabet) in the route planner system of the Polish railways is often a very weird combination of the Polish, German and English transcription. But anyway in this direction it's usually simpler and the differences, like whether "w" or "v" is used, or whether "ts", "tz" or "c" (for the same sound) are understandable for most people. The Cyrylic script has less redundancy and e.g. Polish "ż" and "rz" will be reflected in Cyrylic in the same way, same with Polish "u" and "ó" or "l" and "ł" (although in this last case, it will usually be indicated in such a way that for "l", the Cyrylic letter will have the soft sign added after it, for "ł" not).

Last edited by Kpc21; November 7th, 2017 at 10:11 PM.
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 11:01 PM   #16660
db84

Quote:
What does the 'f' mean?
These side poles are supposed to carry a number which means a distance from the start point of the road. For instance 123 4 would mean 123-th kilometer and 4-th hectometer from the beginning of the road. This way you can call emergency services giving your exact position, like A1, 123, 4.

Because roads like S5, S7 and other are still not completed, then we can not know exact position of segment somewhere in the middle, because the preceeding, yet not built, segments may be redesigned and the actual length would change. So a segment S5f would start its own numbering from 0 0. Therefore, when calling the emergency services, you are supposed to say S5f and the number on the pole.

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road