daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2018, 04:37 PM   #16841
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19356

You could argue whether Praha needs to be signed so far in advance, even before Warszawa. Łódź and Wrocław are major cities that traffic will pass before they have to focus on Praha as the next major city.

While I applaud the usage of foreign cities on Polish signage, I think that it would be sufficient to start signing Praha no sooner than at Łódź. Especially because from Warszawa there are many other major cities to be signed, on S8 you can think of Łódź, Wrocław, Katowice and some closer regional cities.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Sponsor, SRC_100, rpc08 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:01 PM   #16842
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

I would agree but in this case there are no bigger cities on the way between Lodz and Wroclaw and then all the way to the border. None of them at least has 100K in population. Biggest, beside few satellite cities adjacent to Lodz are Piotrkow Trybunalski and Tomaszow Mazowiecki with less that 100K and then Sieradz and Zdunska Wola with less that 50k which for Poland is rather small city or town.
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:52 PM   #16843
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6751

Still, this road would be (indirectly) used to get to many other Polish cities.

But the policy of our roads authority is to indicate the cities on the given road (here: DK8/E67); those to which you must leave the current road and switch to another one are considered only an addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Wow, they mean business now that foreign cities can be signed.
But it's rather a random thing. Once they think about that and put a foreign city, another time they thoughtlessly put just the name of the village with the border crossing, and then we have names of villages with just a few houses (like e.g. Jędrzychowice or Olszyna - have a trip: https://goo.gl/maps/HvdLejryYDu - Olszyna, indicated on a motorway in Poland, is a little poor post-German village without even an asphalt road) indicated on motorways.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:04 PM   #16844
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18742

Such signage first appeared in 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
Czech and Lithuanian (and Polish) capitals on one sign

photo by los77
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:11 PM   #16845
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

I don't understand. How come Vilnius and Praha are on the same sign? Where is it?
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:16 PM   #16846
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17386

That`s Augustów bypass, I guess
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:38 PM   #16847
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Am I supposed to understand that the distance to Prague is calculated through 8 (which goes via Warsaw) but Warsaw itself through 61?
Old January 5th, 2018, 10:21 PM   #16848
Halfpipesaur
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Likes (Received): 315

Yes. Both 8 and 61 lead to Warsaw.

I would've put Warsaw between Białystok and Prague and Łomża instead of Warsaw as the direction for the 61 road. For some reason people who design these signs often make the least logical choices when it comes to directional cities.

OulaL liked this post
Halfpipesaur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 02:34 AM   #16849
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18742

Because the route of DK8 isn't logical at all.
From Białystok DK8 should keep going north-east to Grodno (BY).

But the most absurd thing is the fact that when you enter Warsaw from NE, suddenly all signs on S8 lead to Wrocław. Which is 300 km from Warsaw and there is an equally large city directly in between (Łódź). But finding Łódź signposted somewhere in Warsaw is nearly impossible.
Then you get to the old good Gierkówka (aka "Trasa Katowicka"). Everybody knows that this road connects Warsaw and Katowice - two biggest agglomerations in Poland. But of course, you won't find a single sign for Katowice. Only Wrocław and Wrocław.
And actually the faster and more convenient route from Warsaw to Wrocław leads via A2-A1-S8...
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 04:09 AM   #16850
db84

Likes (Received): 2241

About the discussion whether distance to Łódź is more important than distance to Praha.

Notice that this is a road with european E-something number. Because of that GDDKiA may feel obliged to make distance board more "worldly".

BTW. What about the famous Terespol? Have they replaced it with Minsk, Kiev or Moscow?
db84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 01:06 PM   #16851
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
But the most absurd thing is the fact that when you enter Warsaw from NE, suddenly all signs on S8 lead to Wrocław. Which is 300 km from Warsaw and there is an equally large city directly in between (Łódź). But finding Łódź signposted somewhere in Warsaw is nearly impossible.
I believe this is due to the fact that out of the three major roads in the general area (DK1, DK2 and DK8), two of them (DK2 and DK8) did not go through Łódź, but farther north and south respectively. This downgraded the importance of Łódź on the signage plans.

Nowadays A1, A2 and S8 meet at Łódź, which means this city has become an important focal point on the signage in Poland. It's right in the center of the country, three motorways meet there and it's also one of the largest cities in the country. I think Łódź should be prominently signed from all directions on A1, A2 and S8.

Things have surely changed for Łódź over the past 5 years.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kpc21, loloo, OulaL, geogregor liked this post
Old January 6th, 2018, 02:03 PM   #16852
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by db84 View Post
BTW. What about the famous Terespol? Have they replaced it with Minsk, Kiev or Moscow?
Terespol is not so small as Jędrzychowice or Olszyna. So signposting it has, at least, some sense...

And the law says that the name of the border crossing should be indicated on the signage. So Terespol will be also present unless they change it.

But it doesn't change the fact that indicating a city/town behind the border is also recommended (although not obligatory) in our legislation.

And that the names of the border towns/villages on the borders with Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Lithuania should not be indicated as there are no more border crossings (in the meaning of checkpoints) there.
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:16 PM   #16853
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

What's the law at pedestrian crossings in Poland? In the last days I was driving in some Polish cities - when I stopped for pedestrians sometimes the car behind me overtook me and almost run the pedestrians over. I was a bit shocked.

Or just no driving culture at all and I was right?
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 08:27 PM   #16854
Kpc21

It's illegal what he did.

The law is such that you are obliged to give way to the pedestrian which is already on the crossing and you are obliged to slow down (which very few drivers usually do) and be careful before the pedestrian crossing. On the other hand, for the pedestrian it's forbidden to enter in front of a directly approaching vehicle.

You don't have to give way to a pedestrian waiting before the crossing. Unless you are turning left or right at an intersection - then you have to give way to the pedestrians even if there is no pedestrian crossing.

It's, of course, forbidden to overtake before and on a pedestrian crossing as well as to drive next to the driver who stopped before a pedestrian crossing to give way to a pedestrian.

But many drivers don't follow this rule.

Many Polish drivers lack the driving culture. Interestingly, they often magically gain it after crossing the German border and lose it back while returning to Poland But it's anyway much better than the culture of drivers in many countries in Southern Europe, not to mention Middle East or Africa.

eeee. liked this post
Old January 7th, 2018, 10:30 PM   #16855
Janek0

Likes (Received): 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Unless you are turning left or right at an intersection - then you have to give way to the pedestrians even if there is no pedestrian crossing.
Unless? Didn't you want to write: If you are turning...

Janek0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 10:34 PM   #16856
Kpc21

This "unless" referred to what was before it

This "Jedź bezpiecznie" ("Drive safely") is a very good TV program, but unfortunately, it's broadcast on TV only on a local channel in the Kraków region.

Its host is the director of the driving licence examination center in Kraków.

gr_kanev liked this post
Old January 10th, 2018, 01:15 AM   #16857
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 169

A construction agreement was signed a couple of days ago for yet another section of the S7 Highway, this time between Kraków and Kielce. In February the whole section of the S7 between Kraków and Warsaw will be either under construction or in use.

The S7 will connect Zakopane (north of the city) witl Kraków-Kielce-Radom-Warsaw-Gdańsk.

The whole Highway should be in use by the end of 2021.

Link:
https://businessinsider.com.pl/wiado...wej-s7/bm62emf
J@nek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 11:03 AM   #16858
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The whole Highway should be in use by the end of 2021.
What about Płońsk - Warszawa? It's a dual carriageway but mostly not a droga ekspresowa.

Michał1 liked this post
Old January 10th, 2018, 11:37 AM   #16859
nemesis666

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
In February the whole section of the S7 between Kraków and Warsaw will be either under construction or in use.
You forgot about section "Szczepanowice - voivodeship border" (ca. 23 km) which is still on hold due to environmental issues.
nemesis666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 12:01 PM   #16860
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What about Płońsk - Warszawa? It's a dual carriageway but mostly not a droga ekspresowa.
Section Płońsk - Czosnów will be upgraded to S standard, I think construction will start late next year at the earliest, more likely 2020.

Czosnów - Warszawa (interchange with S8) will not be built in this EU funding cycle. Environmental assessment should be ready by the end of this month but we're still years away from construction start. I'd be pleasantly surprised if this section was finished by 2025.

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road