daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Greater L.A. Area > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties

Old July 19th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #61
Fern~Fern*
What's his face*

Likes (Received): 81

[QUOTE=unmentioned;14340701]The Downtown Specific Plan stresses preservation of the three very historic single-family neighborhoods that are currently downtown. I'm talking about the oceans of surface parking, the automotive establishments, and the derelict buildings that for some reason people don't want to see go.

^ Can you post some pix of these Historic Hoods for our viewing pleasure. So we can get an idea what you guys are talking about?

Sponsored Links

Old July 19th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #62
soup or man
Diamondz...

Likes (Received): 174

[QUOTE=Ferneynism;14340741]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unmentioned View Post
The Downtown Specific Plan stresses preservation of the three very historic single-family neighborhoods that are currently downtown. I'm talking about the oceans of surface parking, the automotive establishments, and the derelict buildings that for some reason people don't want to see go.

^ Can you post some pix of these Historic Hoods for our viewing pleasure. So we can get an idea what you guys are talking about?
I think the 2 main areas of historic homes are those under and around Mout Rubidoux and the Historic Wood Streets.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #63
unmentioned

Likes (Received): 123

if you want to get technical, from Chino Hills eastward to the San Bernardino Mountains, is all considered the IE, all cities in both counties.

The region should work as a whole to secure sound growth, both physically and economically... I think a strong Regional Plan is in order.
unmentioned no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #64
unmentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred View Post
I think the 2 main areas of historic homes are those under and around Mout Rubidoux and the Historic Wood Streets.
The Wood Streets are not included in the Downtown Specific Plan, but the Cedar Avenue/Almond Street/Redwood Avenue area at the foot of Rubidoux is, as well as one East of Market and North of 3rd.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #65
Fern~Fern*
What's his face*

Quote:
if you want to get technical, from Chino Hills eastward to the San Bernardino Mountains, is all considered the IE, all cities in both counties.

The region should work as a whole to secure sound growth, both physically and economically... I think a strong Regional Plan is in order.
So what's the strong regional plan that's in order and what benefits would it bring to the table?
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #66
soup or man
Diamondz...

Ok..found some pics.

Here is Colony Heights (homes under Mt. Rubidoux)

Old July 19th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #67
unmentioned

one that identifies issues as far as traffic, housing, jobs, and quality of life in the whole valley, and then tackles ways to remedy them. Also, one that creates a means to tie the whole region together, not as a bunch of individual cities vying for tax dollars but one that creates specialized hubs of activity. One that preserves open space and accomodates growth on a regionwide scale. One that provides for regional, not just municipal, transit. One that will utilize our three major airports to their full potential, and links them accordingly. One that makes a region of almost 5 million people the economic powerhouse it should be, and the destination and pleasant place to live and work it can be.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #68
unmentioned

people underestimate how beautiful this city can be.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #69
Fern~Fern*
What's his face*

Pretty cool looking homes, just like the one's in Angelino Heights.

So those homes are situated close proximity to Downtown Riverside.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #70
soup or man
Diamondz...

Hey unmentioned..how would you improve downtown Riverside?
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #71
Fern~Fern*
What's his face*

Quote:
people underestimate how beautiful this city can be.

Not many are aware of what Riverside has to offer. Since it's just another County you drive by to get to your next destination...

Unless they know someone who moved here and just loves the place to death.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #72
soup or man
Diamondz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferneynism View Post
Not many are aware of what Riverside has to offer. Since it's just another County you drive by to get to your next destination...

Unless they know someone who moved here and just loves the place to death.
Riverside is the only 'true' city in the IE. There is no reason to go to San Berdo. Place looks like the bad parts of Detroit. I do however like going out to the desert only because I know a guy who can get me free ATV rides on the side of a mountain that overlooks the famous windmills. But Riverside, while not being the first place I would ever move to, will suffice for now. And you can feel it in the air that change is coming.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #73
unmentioned

oh man... wow...

Mixed use, mixed use, mixed use.

There needs to be a strong retail core, but that can't be supported until there is a FULL-TIME residency in the densest areas - not just Colony Heights or Almond Street or Prospect Place - to patronize restaurants, bars, cafes, clubs not just at the lunch hour.

Offices with higher-end tenants to attract higher-paid workers who will live in swankier residential units. DT is mostly low income, which there is nothing wrong with, but we need a healthy mix to spur development. Not to be offensive, but poverty doesn't too often attract tenants for retail and offices.

Reconnect 9th Street.

Get the goddamn mall renovation underway.

Send ALL parking underground. Use every space possible; downtown needs to be crawling with people at all times so that businesses can actually have a clientele.

Widen sidewalks, replace sidewalks.

Convert historic buildings (like Rouse's Department Store and the Stalder) to residential lofts with retail below.

Visually and psychologically link Downtown and the Marketplace areas, in effect, expand Downtown to both sides of the freeway.

Lastly, create visual highlights - eg, a SKYLINE, or some really significant public art or landmarks - make it recognizable.

I'm sure I could think of much, much more.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #74
Fern~Fern*
What's his face*

I would have to agree about SB looking a bit on the ruff side these days. Although they do have a lot of companies moving in for some reason. Not sure how there fishing and/or tactics are but it's working miracles. Riverside to me focus more on Housing than companies. So now you have the needed residents, but 3 out 5 are commuting out to go to work. Which you want people to make the money to pay taxes and waste the money in the IE, not benefit another County while you reside in a another County. That is not benefiting Riverside at all.

Last edited by Fern~Fern*; July 19th, 2007 at 08:00 AM.
Fern~Fern* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #75
soup or man
Diamondz...

Quote:
I would have to agree about SB looking a bit on the ruff side. They do have a lot of companies moving in for some reason. Not sure how there fishing and/or tactics but it's working. Riverside to m focus more on Housing than companies. So now you have the needed residents but 3 out 5 are commuting out to go to work. That is not benefiting Riverside at all.
Which is exactly why Riverside needs to find a way to attract big business.

Riverside needs:

Better public transportation. When the last bus leaves at 9:20 pm, then you know something isn't right.

A Arts District. Riverside has a large art community. If a artist village was proposed and built, we would see a Riverside Renaissance. The lot behind The Grind would be perfect.

PARKING NEEDS TO GO UNDERGROUND!!!!

Turn Main Street into a Restraunt Row.

A 30 story office tower in the Justice Center.

A large, 8 story mixed use project on University and Lemon (?).

Get rid of that massive thrift store. The hell?

Level University Ave and create a 'Colorado Ave' of sorts. Line the entire street with mixed use projects with a 6 story minimum all the way to UCR. Clubs, cafe's, and any other fun thing.

And in the not too distant future, light rail.
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #76
unmentioned

we need the density, first though, before we seriously consider light rail. Light rail does little when it goes through predominantly single-family areas.

The L Corridor (Magnolia-Market-University) should be, and is, targeted for the kind of development you're talking about along University. A long, urban, vibrant, exciting corridor, 17 miles of a new, more urban Riverside. Once that is successfully established, I think light rail is a perfect complement to that corridor, but not before.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #77
redspork02
Seems itnever rainsnSoCal

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
I would have to agree about SB looking a bit on the ruff side these days. Although they do have a lot of companies moving in for some reason. Not sure how there fishing and/or tactics are but it's working miracles. Riverside to me focus more on Housing than companies. So now you have the needed residents, but 3 out 5 are commuting out to go to work. Which you want people to make the money to pay taxes and waste the money in the IE, not benefit another County while you reside in a another County. That is not benefiting Riverside at all.

True, Most of San Berdoo is bad, with a really high crime rate....
and the businesses are warehouses that are moving in to the old Norton Air Force Base ( San Bernardino Airport) Property.
But North San Bernardino Looks just like that Riverside area, with Beautiful landscapes and Homes, I should take pics, next time im out there....

LETS GO DODGERs!!!!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #78
unmentioned

That just goes to show, again, that the IE is seen as a backasswards dirtfield too judgementally.

The rest of Southern California really needs to update their vista and understand that yes, there's a lot here. Certainly not as much as the teeming coastal megalopolis, but still,

you can't continue to write off 4 million people. No matter how far out they are.
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #79
soup or man
Diamondz...

I blame the bros and bro hos as one of the reasons why people don't take the IE seriously.

:p
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #80
unmentioned

The beginnings of change.

Thought this was very interesting, and [hopefully] is reflective of a growing tendency for employers to relocate to where their employees actually live.

From the LA Times:

Wells Fargo takes huge lease inland
By Roger Vincent, Times Staff Writer
July 19, 2007

A regional headquarters of the home mortgage division of Wells Fargo & Co. is relocating in San Bernardino in what is believed to be the largest office lease ever in the Inland Empire, the developer announced Wednesday.

The deal, with an estimated value of about $80 million, underscores the attraction the region has for employers eager to take advantage of its expanding educated workforce and the resulting growth of the office market.

"The Inland Empire was traditionally known as an industrial market, but that's not the case anymore," said Paul Marshall, who heads Southern California operations for the building's developer, Opus West Corp. "It's become very well rounded."

Although housing sales in the Inland Empire have hit a lull, the area's growth pace is expected to lead Southern California in the decades ahead, said John Husing, a Redlands-based economist who studies the region. "The most recent group to start moving here en masse have been well-educated younger people who have in their minds a certain lifestyle that's impossible in Orange, Los Angeles and San Diego counties because of home prices."

For those people, $500,000 can buy what would be considered "executive" housing in coastal cities, Husing said, and they'll work for less pay than they would get in coastal counties if they can avoid long commutes.

Since about 2000, Husing said, "Companies that traditionally stayed in coastal counties and served this huge economy from there are finding it in their interest to be here."

Wells Fargo is moving about 1,600 employees into its new regional headquarters, a 285,000-square-foot building on the northeast corner of Tippecanoe Avenue and Hospitality Lane in San Bernardino. Wells Fargo will occupy about 90% of the building.

Office buildings in the cities of San Bernardino and Riverside have proven especially attractive to Fortune 500 companies, said real estate broker Ron Heim of Cushman & Wakefield.

"We are getting a lot more white-collar jobs and less blue-collar jobs," Heim said.

The Inland Empire's overall office vacancy is about 8.8%, down from 12.7% a year ago, according to Cushman & Wakefield research. Average monthly office rents are $2.04 a square foot, compared with $1.84 last year.

The market tightened even though almost 1 million square feet of new space was added in the last year. Heim said that office construction was starting to slow down a bit and that the number of new lease deals had declined slightly in recent months, but he expects the pace to pick up again next year.

Wells Fargo Home Mortgage came to the Inland Empire with acquisitions of two rivals there in the 1990s and decided to stay, said Cheryl Howard, senior vice president of corporate real estate. The move to the new building is consolidating the offices of those two former competitors.

Offices in coastal counties are "very expensive," she said, and the new offices in San Bernardino will enable the company to retain and recruit "a very diverse and educated workforce."

Opus West plans to erect another office building in Rancho Cucamonga, Marshall said. It also has one shopping center in Chino Hills under construction and another slated to get underway there in October.