daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Cityscapes and Skyline Photos

Cityscapes and Skyline Photos Photos and images from all around the world

Old June 27th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #81
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 1899

i already wrote a pm to a mod

BTW
last year 240.000 of those ugly houses have been already demolished

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 27th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #82
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 52

actually I wonder if isek can tell us where are those locations if he inssit those are instanbul. Tell us the districts isek! Come on!

And people photos...

If I post Neo-Nazi photos and tell everyone "this is Berlin", could it be true?
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #83
Istanbullu
Made in Turkey

Likes (Received): 137

More pics...

Istanbullu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #84
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 52

And also some information for neorion. Beyoğlu was build in 19th century as a modern city like how we are building Maslak and Levent as a trade and finicial center now. During the Sultan Mahmud 2 an agreement have been made with Paris muncipality and Beyoğlu area has been started to built.
Kuvvaci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #85
Isek

Likes (Received): 678

you always think in same scheme. somebody is not 100 % your opinion? -> guy sniffing glue -> guy comes from poorer country and is jealous -> guy is anarchist -> guy is fashist ect..

dude: i say that germany has no world city. i say that there are dirty subway stations in hamburg or berlin. i say that there are tons of extremists (nationalists, green-anarchists, muslim idealists ect.) in germany.

so, what i want to tell is that istanbul is NOT the sunny, welfare, liberal, secular that YOU promote by far!
If the American dream is about individuals moving up in the world – a headlong thrust to be part of the 1% – the German dream might have more to do with individuals changing it, ensuring that life isn’t too bad for the 99%.
Isek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #86
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

than open a topic about it
but do not "rape" my topic

Thanks

Old June 27th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #87
Isek

Likes (Received): 678

oki. sorry. then i better talk to a mod that he should move it away from this glitter thread.
If the American dream is about individuals moving up in the world – a headlong thrust to be part of the 1% – the German dream might have more to do with individuals changing it, ensuring that life isn’t too bad for the 99%.
Isek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #88
neorion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuvvaci View Post
And also some information for neorion. Beyoğlu was build in 19th century as a modern city like how we are building Maslak and Levent as a trade and finicial center now. During the Sultan Mahmud 2 an agreement have been made with Paris muncipality and Beyoğlu area has been started to built.
So did Istanbul's Greeks build and own many buildings in Beyoğlu? From where does the name Pera come from?
neorion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #89
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isek View Post
oki. sorry. then i better talk to a mod that he should move it away from this glitter thread.
Sorry that i only post "wow" pics

i mean look at this section
you can mainly only find "wow" pics in the treads

i know that Istanbul has bad areas
Thanks to major, the histirocial parts are renovated and works are going

Whats so bad in posting some good pics of Istanbul? Mainly you only see bad pics in the european media. Especially from Islamic countries.
I live in Germany and i have seen that so many times

When i signed up here there was a topic about Istanbuls skyline.
There was also a pic which showed the Levent sklyine at night (taken from Maslak. I can post it if you want. But its also a "wow" pic )

A german user do not believed it, because he thought that Istanbul was a city in a desert (nothing against a city in a desert ), in the middle of it the Haghia Sophia (this was built by greeks ) which was surrounded by 12 mil poor people in poor houses.

So, this thread maybe just only show the better parts while the media (not all!) shows the bad parts.

Old June 27th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #90
KoolKeatz
█████████

Likes (Received): 99

My turkish friends tell me the whole day how beautiful Istanbul is. My view of Istanbul couldnt be better.
KoolKeatz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #91
sun&sun
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neorion View Post
So did Istanbul's Greeks build and own many buildings in Beyoğlu? From where does the name Pera come from?

Beyoglu was called Pera in middle ages and this surely makes all Ottoman yalis and all 19th century buildings in Istanbul Greek. I also see many similarities between the architecture in Istanbul and Athens. Buildings in central Athens look very much like the ones in Istanbul poor areas, ghettos in suburbs. There is a connection, yes! Guys just imagine a Greek guy claiming in 150 years that the skyscrapers in Levent and Maslak are built by Greeks because the neighbourhood has a Greek name. It`s excatly the same thing
sun&sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #92
Ohno

Likes (Received): 23

There are always trolls bashing other countries. I suppose those crappy depleted place pics Isek showed could be found everywhere, but they don't present the theme of the city at all. Really, unless Isek took those pictures by himself, I would see there is no point to search around for this kind of crappy pictures in order to pull the Istanbul's image down.
Ohno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #93
Istanbullu
Made in Turkey

Quote:
names doesn't mean much... Many Australian cities have aboriginal names, does it make them aboriginal cities or western Australian cities?

While some Greek Ottomans owned some buildings in the city it was nothing significant compared to what Ottoman Turks owned and did in the city.

It's was an Ottoman Turkish city, do never forget this... Like it's being a Turkish city now...
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #94
Istanbullu
Made in Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohno View Post
There are always trolls bashing other countries. I suppose those crappy depleted place pics Isek showed could be found everywhere, but they don't present the theme of the city at all. Really, unless Isek took those pictures by himself, I would see there is no point to search around for this kind of crappy pictures in order to pull the Istanbul's image down.

They are just jealous people can't stand to Turks and Turkish cities...
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #95
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Old June 28th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #96
neorion
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istanbullu View Post
names doesn't mean much... Many Australian cities have aboriginal names, does it make them aboriginal cities or western Australian cities?
My point exactly. Australian places have Aboriginal names becasue it acknowledges them as the original, the indigenous people of the country, same as the Greeks of Istanbul. Names mean a lot...

Quote:
While some Greek Ottomans owned some buildings in the city it was nothing significant compared to what Ottoman Turks owned and did in the city.
Greek contributions to Istanbul's archiectural history is significant, arguably the most significant.

Quote:
It's was an Ottoman Turkish city, do never forget this... Like it's being a Turkish city now...
It was originally a Greek city and until well into the twentieth century the Greeks of Istanbul were significant. Do not forget this.

Anyway, my questions were directed at Kuvacci...

back to topic
neorion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #97
Rem

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
It was originally a Greek city and until well into the twentieth century the Greeks of Istanbul were significant. Do not forget this.

Yes,
The population of the Armenian and Greek minorities in Istanbul greatly declined beginning in the late 19th century. The city's Greek Orthodox community were exempted from the population exchange between Greece and Turkey of 1923. However, a series of special restrictions and taxes beginning in the 1930s (see, e.g., Varlık Vergisi), finally culminating in the Istanbul Pogrom of 1955, greatly increased emigration, and in 1964, all Greeks without Turkish citizenship residing in Turkey (around 100,000) were deported. Today, most of Turkey's remaining Greek and Armenian minorities live in or near Istanbul.
Rem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #98
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

I think some greeks are coming back or just buying sommerhouses or apartments in Istanbul

Old June 28th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #99
Istanbullu
Made in Turkey

Quote:
My point exactly. Australian places have Aboriginal names becasue it acknowledges them as the original, the indigenous people of the country, same as the Greeks of Istanbul. Names mean a lot...
No they don't.. See when you look at the Australian cities with the aboriginal names, only judging by the name you may think they are aboriginal cities, right? But as you know nothing can be so far from the truth.. Same goes for Istanbul, the name can have it's roots from Byzantine but the city is Turkish. So if you take names as criteria, you will be deceived.. Like in that Iskender situation..

Quote:
Greek contributions to Istanbul's archiectural history is significant, arguably the most significant.
They are no where near significant... A couple of churches and Greek schools doesn't even enough to put you in the list... The city is built by architecturally advanced Ottomans with the help of French and Italian influences...

Quote:
It was a Greek city 600 years ago.. and it did not look anything like Istanbul back then... Istanbul is a city built by Ottomans and being built by Turks of Turkish Republic...
Greeks were significant among the minorities... That's it...
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #100
emreprlk
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

you greeks. who are u?
what are u talking about?
first of u look at your shitty cities. they are all very bad archutacture. although u give allocation millions of euro since 1981. but u cant succesful to built nice cities.
istanbul belongs turks since 1453.
did u built dolmabahce, topkapı, yıldız palace or many buildings in taksim or maslak area. shut up and not jealous.
emreprlk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, europe, istanbul, urban life