daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #21
le lyonnais du 81

Likes (Received): 0

Frankfurt is a great city!!
le lyonnais du 81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #22
LuckyLuke

Best Frankfurt thread ever... you're amazing!!!
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM   #23
cello1974
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

This is my favourite pic. Nice tiny skyline, well planned. A pity that Frankfurt has lost all of it's dynamics. So it can no longercompete with Mosscow, London, Paris, Madrid or Istanbul in future,... Once I liked my hometown...

cello1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:25 AM   #24
Dhakaiya
Proud son of Bengal

Likes (Received): 1842

Germany is one of the richest countries in the world, I lived for a year in Hamburg & I found Germans to be very, very friendly and hospitable. A country like Germany deserves more skylines like Frankfurt, the govt. should take steps to make wonderful skylines for cities like Hamburg, Cologne, Essen and Berlin.

DHAKA- The Emerging City of the World.

The Land of opportunities!
Dhakaiya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:29 AM   #25
cello1974
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakaiya View Post
Germany is one of the richest countries in the world, I lived for a year in Hamburg & I found Germans to be very, very friendly and hospitable. A country like Germany deserves more skylines like Frankfurt, the govt. should take steps to make wonderful skylines for cities like Hamburg, Cologne, Essen and Berlin.
A bitlate to develop new skylines! There would have to be more growth, demographic and economic. But we don't have either or. To be honest: I don't want to see skyscrapers rising next to Kölner Dom or in the middle of Hamburg! For Berlin or Essen it would be ok. But WHO should build skyscrapers? They are not needed, since Germany'sdevelopment is decentralized...
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:33 AM   #26
Dhakaiya
Proud son of Bengal

With the EU countries growing in number, immigrants will flow into wealthy countries like Germany. Maybe not now, but I think Germany will need them in the future.

Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:40 AM   #27
cello1974
BANNED

Quote:
With the EU countries growing in number, immigrants will flow into wealthy countries like Germany. Maybe not now, but I think Germany will need them in the future.
Last year, Germany's population shrunk 300,000 people...
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:53 AM   #28
Dhakaiya
Proud son of Bengal

What!! I guess then the foreign workers don't settle in Germany, they just earn some money and head back home.....

Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:02 AM   #29
cello1974
BANNED

Quote:
What!! I guess then the foreign workers don't settle in Germany, they just earn some money and head back home.....
Many of them... And about 150,000 Germans leave the country every year to look for better opportunities abroad.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:16 AM   #30
Dhakaiya
Proud son of Bengal

Germany MUST target more immigrants. Look at USA- the country of immigrants, the immigrants have a big contribution to its growth and they love U.S.A as well, if Germany can get more immigrants it will greatly benefit the country.

Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM   #31
cello1974
BANNED

And what will the immigrants do in Germany? We have more than 4 mn unemployed. Many of them immigrants... What do you think why many of them leave the country again?
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:00 PM   #32
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cello1974 View Post
Many of them... And about 150,000 Germans leave the country every year to look for better opportunities abroad.
The same number also returns every year.
Germany loses about 30.000 a year though.

Great pics btw.
GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:09 PM   #33
cello1974
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
The same number also returns every year.
Germany loses about 30.000 a year though.

Great pics btw.
"Growth" Rates for Germany 2004 to 2020:
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:17 PM   #34
cello1974
BANNED

??
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:29 PM   #35
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 770

^ It's all a complicated situation. The economy will improve in Germany and then it will need more skilled workers, and more importantly, more flexible workers. Many will come from immigration.

Immigrants can bring more work into a country, but not always. It depends on the balance of the economy and the type of immigrants.

As for more skyscrapers in Germany, I can't see this becoming a norm outside of Frankfurt. Berlin may build a cluster not far from Alexanderplatz, but not for a long time coming. It is a pity, as there are many German cities that have very little history in the central core due to the destruction from WWII. It would have been perfect to rebuild in the style of Frankfurt but sadly much of the reconstruction is more conservative postwar lowrises.

It is true that Germany is very decentralized, but so is the US. And we all know that that still hasn't stopped even small US cities from having a decent skyline. I think though it is more that German cities are more decentralized. Business offices are often spread more throughout the metropolitan area's than just clustering in the central core or subcores.

Still, you never know. Offenbach, a city next to Frankfurt is also developing a bit of a skyscraper cluster. It's small now, but just goes to show that Frankfurt may not be the only one in the future.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:40 PM   #36
Golden Age

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by cello1974 View Post
A pity that Frankfurt has lost all of it's dynamics. So it can no longercompete with Mosscow, London, Paris, Madrid or Istanbul in future,... Once I liked my hometown...
Frankfurt may be losing ground to London, but so is New York. The other cities you mentioned Frankfurt can compete with any day in terms of downtown development and overall economic vitality. With the Parktower, Operntower and Germany's biggest downtown shopping development FrankfurtHochVier under construction one can hardly say things are calm. Plus, the new European Central Bank building should be quite an architectual gem once it is built.
Golden Age no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:11 PM   #37
cello1974
BANNED

OOPS, I wrote Moscow with ss! But it has not the dynamics other cities have. Unfortunately.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:23 PM   #38
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Age View Post
Frankfurt may be losing ground to London, but so is New York. The other cities you mentioned Frankfurt can compete with any day in terms of downtown development and overall economic vitality. With the Parktower, Operntower and Germany's biggest downtown shopping development FrankfurtHochVier under construction one can hardly say things are calm. Plus, the new European Central Bank building should be quite an architectual gem once it is built.
I still disagree that Frankfurt can hold itself up to many of those other cities Cello1974 mentioned. Certainly Paris has far more on offer than Frankfurt. Shopping, sightseeing, historical and grand architecture, parks, gardens, museums, galleries, restaurants. In fact nearly everything. I would also suggest Madrid would top Frankfurt in what I listed as well. Istanbul and Moscow would still be ahead in many ways, although Istanbul would loose out to Frankfurt in public transport and central city shopping (but far better in suburban shopping).

Shopping in Frankfurt is quite lacking for a city of it’s size. It doesn’t even have a proper music (CD) store (only small sections in department stores). The new FrankfurtHochVier will improve this hopefully, but at the rate that building is going up I’ll probably be retired before it’s finished. And although shopping hours have improved dramatically over the last few years here, the city still lacks anything 24/7 (most supermarkets outside Germany that I know of are open 24hours during the week) and on Sunday the city is a total ghost town except with the odd German walking around window shopping or trying to find the scarce and rare café actually open (and with space), or tourists who unfortunately ended up here for a weekend city break to find everything shut.

I personally can’t think of one thing that Frankfurt has over Paris or Madrid with the exception of less people (if that is considered a good thing) and of cause it's skyline.

It’s a great city though when compared to say Buffalo.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:46 PM   #39
Golden Age

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
I still disagree that Frankfurt can hold itself up to many of those other cities Cello1974 mentioned. Certainly Paris has far more on offer than Frankfurt. Shopping, sightseeing, historical and grand architecture, parks, gardens, museums, galleries, restaurants.
I thought we were talking about construction of skyskrapers and economic growth. I made no mention of culture, sightseeing, etc.

Paris in my view is the most pictureque/livable city on this planet, period (although Venice and SanFran have a nicer setting).

Quote:
I would also suggest Madrid would top Frankfurt in what I listed as well. Istanbul and Moscow would still be ahead in many ways, although Istanbul would loose out to Frankfurt in public transport and central city shopping (but far better in suburban shopping).
I don't disagree. I even think Berlin and Munich have more to offer than Frankfurt in those respects. However, Frankfurt can hold its own against Milan, Hamburg or Amsterdam. Istanbul, Moscow and Madrid are in their own league.

Quote:
Shopping in Frankfurt is quite lacking for a city of it’s size. It doesn’t even have a proper music (CD) store (only small sections in department stores).
Frankfurt used to have HMV and Virgin, but those stores closed in all of Germany. That must be due to the MP3 Revolution?? Otherwise I agree to lack of shopping diversity, but I have to say that the MainTaunusZentrum is pretty sweet and how many cities have a Kleinmarkthalle with such great food offerings? FFHV will be done sooner than you think

Quote:
the city still lacks anything 24/7 (most supermarkets outside Germany that I know of are open 24hours during the week) and on Sunday the city is a total ghost town except with the odd German walking around window shopping or trying to find the scarce and rare café actually open (and with space),
Supermarkets are now open from 9 to 10 pm from Mo to Sat. Nightlife is pretty nice, go to Berger Str, Hanauer or the beach clubs, I assure you, you'll like it. I find everything here that cities twice its size might have (Cologne, Munich). Pay a visit also to the new KingKa Lounge across from Alte Oper, prepare to be impressed. Culturally, there are enough great museums/theatres/exhibitions/fairs to keep one occupied for months.

Quote:
I personally can’t think of one thing that Frankfurt has over Paris or Madrid with the exception of less people (if that is considered a good thing) and of cause it's skyline.
I can, Appelwoi and Goethe. But to be serious, the city is of course small in comparison in every respect. Apart from the qualities that I listed above, Frankfurt's got the Rheingau, Taunus (the highest GDP per capita in Germany) and nice nearby towns of Bad Homburg, Wiesbaden, Mainz and Heidelberg. Also, the summer street fests (one taking place nearly every week) are da bomb. Try doing a street fest involving alcohol in the States or in Britain, it cannot be done.

Quote:
It’s a great city though when compared to say Buffalo.
Have been to Buffalo and find this comparison to be insulting to Frankfurt. Have had many visitors from the States/Latin America/Asia over and they LOVED Mainhattan without exception, comparing it to Boston or Brooklyn (nice mix of new & old). I personally can't think of any city I'd rather live in Germany (other than perhaps Munich). Where else can one work in a skyscraper and take the bike home into a neighborhood that is only 5 minutes away, yet completely safe, quiet and near a gorgeous park. One would have to be a millionaire in London or Paris to afford such a lifestyle, which I am not.

Last edited by Golden Age; March 2nd, 2007 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Wording
Golden Age no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:05 PM   #40
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
I thought we were talking about construction of skyskrapers and economic growth. I made no mention of culture, sightseeing, etc.
Sorry, my fault then. I thought we were talking about the city as a whole. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Paris in my view is the most pictureque/livable city on this planet, period (although Venice and SanFran have a nicer setting).
I agree. Paris is an amazing city. As far as man made beauty is concerned, few cities could ever excel what wonders Paris has achieved.

Quote:
I don't disagree. I even think Berlin and Munich have more to offer than Frankfurt in those respects. However, Frankfurt can hold its own against Milan, Hamburg or Amsterdam. Istanbul, Moscow and Madrid are in their own league.
If we are talking about the issues I mentioned, I still think Amsterdam leads over Frankfurt there. I can’t say for Milan or Hamburg as it’s been too long since I was last there.

Quote:
Frankfurt used to have HMV and Virgin, but those stores closed in all of Germany. That must be due to the MP3 Revolution?? Otherwise I agree to lack of shopping diversity, but I have to say that the MainTaunusZentrum is pretty sweet and how many cities have a Kleinmarkthalle with such great food offerings? FFHV will be done sooner than you think
The loss of HMV and Virgin have nothing to do with MP3’s. Those British companies are strong still in the UK and compete very well with downloading MP3’s. I travel to London several times a year and it’s almost tradition now to walk into the endless number of giant music stores for the incredible specials and sales they have. In fact, they are doing so well still that new stores and companies are opening. Fopp is a recent newbie to the London CD store scene and their flagstore has to be one of the coolest music stores on the planet. Other cities around Europe and the world also have thriving music stores.

Actually, I find the MainTaunusZentrum quite dated and old fashioned. Of the malls in Rhein Main, I prefer NordWestZentrum. However, it is still quite average. Look at the beautiful malls thread and you will see some breathtaking ones around Europe.

I also love the Kleinmarkthalle, but this is very common in all European cities, and many other cities have larger and more grander ones.

No, I’m not going to knock shopping in Frankfurt too much. I have seen worse cities, but it is very “average” compared to the standard out there.

Quote:
Supermarkets are now open from 9 to 10 pm from Mo to Sat. Nightlife is pretty nice, go to Berger Str, Hanauer or the beach clubs, I assure you, you'll like it. I find everything here that cities twice its size might have (Cologne, Munich). Pay a visit also to the new KingKa Lounge across from Alte Oper, prepare to be impressed. Culturally, there are enough great museums/theatres/exhibitions/fairs to keep one occupied for months.
I agree about the nightlife in Frankfurt. It is certainly holding it’s own for a city this size. Supermarkets though should be 24hours, at least during the week days. This is the norm in many other parts of the world.

Sorry, but I disagree about Museums. There are plenty of small museums here, but nothing grand or special. Sorry, I visit museums in every city I travel to and Frankfurt wouldn’t even rate in the top 30 from what I have seen.

Quote:
I can, Appelwoi and Goethe. But to be serious, the city is of course small in comparison in every respect. Apart from the qualities that I listed above, Frankfurt's got the Rheingau, Taunus (the highest GDP per capita in Germany) and nice nearby towns of Bad Homburg, Wiesbaden, Mainz and Heidelberg. Also, the summer street fests (one taking place nearly every week) are da bomb. Try doing a street fest involving alcohol in the States or in Britain, it cannot be done.
You are 100% right on the great street festivals here, and the wonderful metropolitan area. I cannot agree more, fantastic atmosphere at the street festivals, relaxed, great drinks and some of them are massive.

Quote:
Have been to Buffalo and find this comparison to be insulting to Frankfurt. Have had many visitors from the States/Latin America/Asia over and they LOVED Mainhattan without exception, comparing it to Boston or Brooklyn (nice mix of new & old). I personally can't think of any city I'd rather live in Germany (other than perhaps Munich). Where else can one work in a skyscraper and take the bike home into a neighborhood that is only 5 minutes away, yet completely safe, quiet and near a gorgeous park. One would have to be a millionaire in London or Paris to afford such a lifestyle, which I am not.
The cost of living in Frankfurt is exceptionally good for a European city of this size. You are correct, in London you would have to live much further out for the same money. This is one reason I am hesitant to move to London – in my opinion a much more fascinating and interesting city, but one where I would have to live in the suburbs. But of cause, one of the reasons is because Frankfurt is so much smaller and less attractive to move to than London. London is much more expensive because so many wealthy business people move there and bring the inner city prices up, coupled with it’s much larger population that would like to live central.

Yes, that is an advantage to this city.

Tags
frankfurt, frankfurt photos