daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:41 PM   #41
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cello1974 View Post
"Growth" Rates for Germany 2004 to 2020:

These are the growth rates here.
As you might know our population is shrinking due to the demographic trend and not because we have about 30,000 people who are emigrating.
The same happnes in Japan btw.
Its a sign of the modern age even though there are exceptions.
GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:45 PM   #42
GNU
Gnuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
(most supermarkets outside Germany that I know of are open 24hours during the week)
I wonder where you have been shopping.
Most supermarkets are closed off during the nighttime.
That applies to cities like London aswell.

Secondly: The customers are setting the trends.
Its as simple as that.
Different cultures, different habbits.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM   #43
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4260

Quote:
I still disagree that Frankfurt can hold itself up to many of those other cities Cello1974 mentioned. Certainly Paris has far more on offer than Frankfurt. Shopping, sightseeing, historical and grand architecture, parks, gardens, museums, galleries, restaurants. In fact nearly everything. I would also suggest Madrid would top Frankfurt in what I listed as well. Istanbul and Moscow would still be ahead in many ways, although Istanbul would loose out to Frankfurt in public transport and central city shopping (but far better in suburban shopping).

Shopping in Frankfurt is quite lacking for a city of it’s size. It doesn’t even have a proper music (CD) store (only small sections in department stores). The new FrankfurtHochVier will improve this hopefully, but at the rate that building is going up I’ll probably be retired before it’s finished. And although shopping hours have improved dramatically over the last few years here, the city still lacks anything 24/7 (most supermarkets outside Germany that I know of are open 24hours during the week) and on Sunday the city is a total ghost town except with the odd German walking around window shopping or trying to find the scarce and rare café actually open (and with space), or tourists who unfortunately ended up here for a weekend city break to find everything shut.

Common, you are from Australia. You should know that shopping hours in Australia are even worse than in Germany. Most malls close at 5:30pm in the afternoon. Bigger supermarkets are closed on sundays and close around 5 on a saturday. First I thought its only in Townsville like that because its a small city but the same you get in Brisbane. Compared to Australia, german shopping hours arew damm good.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:03 PM   #44
GNU
Gnuru

Quote:
Shopping in Frankfurt is quite lacking for a city of it’s size. It doesn’t even have a proper music (CD) store (only small sections in department stores).
Oh for Christs sake Justme.
Weve been through this too often.
If you want to buy CDs then why not try a "Saturn" or "MediaMarkt"?????
They have huge CD departments that do not lack behind Virgin etc..
Also try out WOM.

In fact thats the problem I had in London.
Youll have a hard time looking for something that resembles a Media Markt for example.
Theres PC world, but all of its stores that Ive been to in London are much smaller than your average Media Markt.
MediaMarkt and Saturn belong to the 3rd biggest department store chane, namely "Metro".

Mediamarkt:

Saturn:

Both are well represented in Frankfurt as in every german city.
Youll find them in the city center or in the outskirts.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:07 PM   #45
goschio
proud Kuffar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Age View Post
Frankfurt may be losing ground to London, but so is New York. The other cities you mentioned Frankfurt can compete with any day in terms of downtown development and overall economic vitality. With the Parktower, Operntower and Germany's biggest downtown shopping development FrankfurtHochVier under construction one can hardly say things are calm. Plus, the new European Central Bank building should be quite an architectual gem once it is built.
You are damm right. Frankfurt is doing quite well at the moment compared with the 80s and 70s. Only the 90s were a bit more busy. Frankfurt is just entering a new skyscraper boom phase. Several new projects might start this and next year. Just think about the Kaiserkaree (130m, should start 2007), Fraspa (190m), and the Europaviertel.

And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #46
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker View Post
I wonder where you have been shopping.
Most supermarkets are closed off during the nighttime.
That applies to cities like London aswell.

Secondly: The customers are setting the trends.
Its as simple as that.
Different cultures, different habbits.
I have to admit, the number of 24hour full sized supermarkets have dropped. Many have reduced their hours to midnight. But there are still plenty. In London, and even in the smaller towns surrounding London, the major supermarkets can be open 24 hours during the week. In central London, the smaller supermarkets can be open 24hours/7 days. All supermarkets are open Sunday.

click on the links to see their opening times mate,
Slough

Reading

Watford

And the above are not major cities. London itself...
Trafalgar Square

etc etc

Last edited by Justme; March 4th, 2007 at 12:53 PM.
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #47
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
Common, you are from Australia. You should know that shopping hours in Australia are even worse than in Germany. Most malls close at 5:30pm in the afternoon. Bigger supermarkets are closed on sundays and close around 5 on a saturday. First I thought its only in Townsville like that because its a small city but the same you get in Brisbane. Compared to Australia, german shopping hours arew damm good.
That's true in that many shops close at 5:30 in the smaller cities and the suburbs, besides of cause the late night, Thursday or Friday, but in Sydney the major supermarkets are 24 hours or to midnight and most shops are open 7 days.

Queensland certainly needs a bit of help in their shopping hours, but I'd rather have Sydney shopping hours over Germany's any day. In Sydney, I would guess every Supermarket is open 7 days and all malls. If you have bad shopping hours in Townsville, that's because you choose to live in a small remote town. But I agree there, similar sized small towns in Germany could have better shopping hours than similar sized small towns in parts of Australia. But Sydney shopping hours betters any German city regardless of how big. Sunday is easily the best shopping day of the week.

Evidently, Queensland may have worse shopping hours than Germany. I will concede this. Remember, you and Checker strike back at me whenever I criticize anything about Germany, but it's not attacks be me onto Germany. If I see something better here I am the first to point it out.

Last edited by Justme; March 4th, 2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #48
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Oh for Christs sake Justme.
Weve been through this too often.
If you want to buy CDs then why not try a "Saturn" or "MediaMarkt"?????
They have huge CD departments that do not lack behind Virgin etc..
Also try out WOM.

In fact thats the problem I had in London.
Youll have a hard time looking for something that resembles a Media Markt for example.
Theres PC world, but all of its stores that Ive been to in London are much smaller than your average Media Markt.
MediaMarkt and Saturn belong to the 3rd biggest department store chane, namely "Metro".
Sorry, the selection in MediaMarkt and Saturn for CD's is tiny compared to a dedicated CD store. There is no comparison.

Face it, and I'm not putting Frankfurt down here, just telling the truth. There are no decent sized CD stores in Frankfurt. Defending that won't help it get better.

You are incorrect. The large media stores in the UK are the likes of Dixens and Currey's. In the suburbs, these stores are just as big as the large mediamarkts or Saturns, though I agree you din't find them in central London in any large size (but then again, Saturn in central Frankfurt is small as well, and mediamarkt is only in the suburbs or metro area) But for central London, try going to Tottencourt road in London. Nearly every store is an electronic store. They are not very big stores in size, but compete against each other and sell far more range all up than any Mediamarkt or Saturn, which despite their size, have quite a limited range of goods. They also don't compete very well as they are a single store without any nearby competition. Oh, the Currey's and Dixens in the UK also suffer from the true lack of range as the Mediamarkt and Saturn in Germany does, which is why I would shop at Tottencourt Road for electronics any day.

Last edited by Justme; March 4th, 2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #49
GNU
Gnuru

Quote:
Sorry, the selection in MediaMarkt and Saturn for CD's is tiny compared to a dedicated CD store. There is no comparison.
Give me a break here.
The only stores that offer slightly more than a Media Markt when it comes to CDs are two Virgin Megastores.
One is on Tottenham Court Road/ Oxford street and the other is in Piccadilly Circus.
It should be noted that the latter has been sold by Virgin as they are not making enough revenue anymore with CD selling.
Apart from that youll have atleast the same offerings in a Mediamarkt/ Saturn than in a regular big sized Virgin.
And Im talking about the big megastores here of which there arent many when compared to Mediamarkts and Saturns.
Youll have MediaMarkts in every village in Germany whereas youll have trouble finding a Virgin Megastore in smaller british towns.

Quote:
Face it, and I'm not putting Frankfurt down here, just telling the truth. There are no decent sized CD stores in Frankfurt. Defending that won't help it get better.
For christs sake Justme.
Go to a MediaMarkt and youll have a huge selection of CDs.
Im sure that germans buy more CDs than any other nation in Europe by a long shot. Not even to mention Australia.
Where do you think they go?
Theyll go to Saturn or a Media Markt.

Quote:
You are incorrect. The large media stores in the UK are the likes of Dixens and Currey's. In the suburbs, these stores are just as big as the large mediamarkts or Saturns,
Those two shops are not represented in central London unlike MediaMarkt or Saturn of which there are plenty in the center and in the outskirts.
And Saturn and MediaMarkt belong to "Metro" which is the 2nd biggest retailer chain in Europe and the 3rd biggest in the world.
How many Dixens and Curreys are there in the UK?
To be honest Ive never heard of Curreys.
I guess that they are not advertising on TV?

Quote:
though I agree you din't find them in central London in any large size (but then again, Saturn in central Frankfurt is small as well, and mediamarkt is only in the suburbs or metro area)
I dont believe you that there isnt a big Saturn in Frankfurt.
Theres one in my small hometown and its big.
Frankfurt will surely have something bigger.

Quote:
But for central London, try going to Tottencourt road in London. Nearly every store is an electronic store.
Yep, Tottenham Court Road is the main option.
Trouble here is that most stores are tiny independant family stores.
They are mostly heavily overprized.
Theres a PC World outlet in the upper Tottenham Court Road aswell but its also quite small and the service was bad the last time when I went with my girlfriend there.

Quote:
They are not very big stores in size, but compete against each other and sell far more range all up than any Mediamarkt or Saturn, which despite their size, have quite a limited range of goods.
I hope you are joking Justme.
I know every single store in Tottenham Court Road and when you are now seriously telling me that those tiny family stores sell more than a MediaMarkt super store outlet than we dont even need to discuss this whole topic....
And what is this talk about limited range of goods????
I would never buy my PC at MediaMarkt but I would sure as hell buy it there before buying it in one of those shops in Tottenham Court Road.
I once went there with a friend and we tried to buy a decent LCD monitor.
Now guess what happened. We were looking for an Iiyama model that youd get in any Saturn.
But you couldnt find it in the whole street.
Weve been to every single store.
She then bought a different model and when it turmed out that it wasnt working properly she tried to bring it back but they wouldnt accept it.
To make it short: The range is very limited indeed if you intend to buy PC hardware in Tottanham Court Road.

Quote:
They also don't compete very well as they are a single store without any nearby competition.
Sure that must be the reason why MediaMarkt and Saturn are export hits, having stores in many countries whereas Dixens and Curreys are only known in Britain. You might think that they would open a store in Germany if they are so good?
But the truth is that the market here is so competitive that even Wall Mart had to drop out again.
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #50
GNU
Gnuru

Quote:
I have to admit, the number of 24hour full sized supermarkets have dropped. Many have reduced their hours to midnight. But there are still plenty. In London, and even in the smaller towns surrounding London, the major supermarkets can be open 24 hours during the week. In central London, the smaller supermarkets can be open 24hours/7 days. All supermarkets are open Sunday.

shops are open on Sunday which is better than in Germany but they are closing off at around 5pm if I remember correctly.
Most Supermarkets apart from a tiny minority are not 24h btw.
Theyll close off in the evening like in Germany.
Of cause there are plenty of off-license shops which are open 24h which is good to have and also much better than in germany.
but they are not supermarkets in that sense of cause.
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #51
Golden Age

Likes (Received): 150

Before this turns into a thread of which city has the best CD stores and BTW I think Frankfurt does not have any good ones (except for ZweiTausendEins across from Cafe Wacker), let me get back to you on some of your other thoughts.

Quote:
Sorry, my fault then. I thought we were talking about the city as a whole. Sorry about that.
Even for touristic appeal as a city Frankfurt is doing quite well and this is not my subjective opinion. Go into any bookstore in the world and look at the Michelin or Fodor's guidebooks on Germany. Frankfurt always gets a higher touristic ranking than cities such as Duesseldorf, Stuttgart, Leipzig or Bremen easily. Sure, it will never be as appealing to tourists as Munich, Heidelberg or Dresden, but nobody expects that of a banking city anyways. All I'm saying is that for a financial hub this city is doing quite well touristically (and this is w/o factoring in that the airport is nearby and that important fairs take place every week). The groups of Chinese and American tourists surely aren't getting any less.

Quote:
If we are talking about the issues I mentioned, I still think Amsterdam leads over Frankfurt there. I can’t say for Milan or Hamburg as it’s been too long since I was last there.
Ok, Amsterdam has better museums, nightlife and such, but the international flair of both cities is comparable. Milan and Hamburg, however, are not overtowering Frankfurt in these aspects.

Quote:
Actually, I find the MainTaunusZentrum quite dated and old fashioned.
Disagree, the MTZ rocks. The Breuninger, Ansons or the upscale movie center Kinopolis give the shopping there a very exclusive feeling. Plus, Ikea is opening a new store outside of Frankfurt a week from now (now the third in the region, again showing the purchasing power of the MainTaunusKreis), which will be another nice addition to the awesome Mann Mobilia that already exists nearby. For quality shopping Wiesbaden also has a lot of nice options. The best shopping in Germany can be done in Berlin & Hamburg, make no mistake, but for its size Frankfurt is doing just fine.

Quote:
Supermarkets though should be 24hours, at least during the week days.
I fully agree, I love the Sainsbury or Tesco stores in England. It makes shopping lots more convenient. The Anglosaxons have always been a bit more open-minded in those things. The Aral Stores in Germany, which are open quite late, however, are getting better and better as well.

Quote:
Sorry, but I disagree about Museums. There are plenty of small museums here, but nothing grand or special. Sorry, I visit museums in every city I travel to and Frankfurt wouldn’t even rate in the top 30 from what I have seen.
Disagree. Judging by neutral sources, for example the International Herald Tribune with its weekly worldwide art exhibition calendar or the influential Vanity Fair with its one-week preview of German cultural events, Frankfurt almost ALWAYS gets mentioned. The Op-Art exhibtion in the Schirn or the top-notch Garden exhibition in the Staedel are only two examples of those mentions. On a whole, surely cultural cities such as Munich, Dresden or Barcelona are loaded with museums/theatres etc, BUT for cities of Frankfurt's size, I would say it's a worldwide frontrunner in high-quality cultural events.

Quote:
London – in my opinion a much more fascinating and interesting city, but one where I would have to live in the suburbs.
No doubt, but comparing Frankfurt to London, NYC, Paris, Tokyo or even Madrid is of course like comparing apples with oranges. Berlin is the only city in Germany that can compare as it is the only city with more than 3 million people. Again, for cities the size of Frankfurt (Boston, Stuttgart, Milan, Geneve), it can match up with/outshine them anyday. The cost of living advantange is something all big German cities are still benefiting from immensely (especially Berlin). Living expenses in major cities of the US, Switzerland, Canada, Japan, Scandinavia or the UK are MUCH higher.
Golden Age no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #52
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 918

back to the pictures: there are some of the best shots of frankfurt I've ever seen.

what are thoses poles in the background? they must be very tall ..

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9...05forum6om.jpg
HD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #53
Golden Age

Quote:
Give me a break here.
The only stores that offer slightly more than a Media Markt
To come to Justme's defense, the CD stores in Frankfurt (WOM, Saturn, MediaMarkt) are crap compared to Virgin or HMV. The presentation of CDs is lame, the lighting reminds me of a Lagerhalle, the equipment for listening to CDs is old, the service is unfriendly and independent music/films are either outrageously expensive/not in stock/wrongly labeled. Let's be honest here, Frankfurt is great, but it's not the end of the world to have to admit that it isn't perfect.
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #54
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Give me a break here.
The only stores that offer slightly more than a Media Markt when it comes to CDs are two Virgin Megastores.
One is on Tottenham Court Road/ Oxford street and the other is in Piccadilly Circus.
It should be noted that the latter has been sold by Virgin as they are not making enough revenue anymore with CD selling.
Apart from that youll have atleast the same offerings in a Mediamarkt/ Saturn than in a regular big sized Virgin.
And Im talking about the big megastores here of which there arent many when compared to Mediamarkts and Saturns.
Youll have MediaMarkts in every village in Germany whereas youll have trouble finding a Virgin Megastore in smaller british towns.
I'm sorry, you are so far off the mark here. The two big CD stores in central London (and there are so many large CD stores in central London) are as large as a typical suburban Saturn or Mediamarkt in their own right, yet their specialty is music and video rather than just a tiny section. Their selection is enormously vast compared to the offerings of WOM or Saturn, and their prices are so much better.

One of my closest friends in Frankfurt works in WOM which has the largest selection in Frankfurt and he agrees with me on this discussion as well.

I'm a musichead, and music is a deep passion of mine. When I come back from London, my suitcase is loaded with CD's that are either not available in Frankfurt or far cheaper. The specials you find in these big stores can be astonishing. Actually, my favourite store there is the very cool Fopp Flagship store. I wish we had that here.

Quote:
For christs sake Justme.
Go to a MediaMarkt and youll have a huge selection of CDs.
Im sure that germans buy more CDs than any other nation in Europe by a long shot. Not even to mention Australia.
Where do you think they go?
Theyll go to Saturn or a Media Markt.
I have no idea on the numbers of CD's purchased in Germany compared to anywhere else and I don't care what other people buy. I do know however, that there are no dedicated CD stores in this city and the selection is far behind what I can find elsewhere.

However, I do love the great store "No.2" in Sachsenhäüsen. It's a terrific little 2nd hand CD and record store, with great service and good prices.

Quote:
Those two shops are not represented in central London unlike MediaMarkt or Saturn of which there are plenty in the center and in the outskirts.
Please forgive me. Where is Mediamarkt in central Frankfurt? The Saturn store in central Frankfurt is quite small. You have to go to the suburbs for both to be decent size, much like Dixons and Curreys in London.

Quote:
I dont believe you that there isnt a big Saturn in Frankfurt.
Theres one in my small hometown and its big.
Frankfurt will surely have something bigger.
Hang on a second here. You are debating me on shopping in Frankfurt, and you don't even know the shops in Frankfurt.

Please.... I am not rubbishing Germany here. I love this country, afterall, I do live here still.

I am just making an observation about the shopping here which is one aspect where I think this city lacks. It does succeed in many other ways, like an excellent public transport infrastructure for it's size.

Why debate me just for the skake of it?

Quote:
Yep, Tottenham Court Road is the main option.
Trouble here is that most stores are tiny independant family stores.
They are mostly heavily overprized.
Theres a PC World outlet in the upper Tottenham Court Road aswell but its also quite small and the service was bad the last time when I went with my girlfriend there.
You are supposed to bargin there. All the shops are next to each other and compete. You walk into one, ask them to drop the price etc. I've made some great bargins doing that on Tottenham Court Road.

Quote:
I hope you are joking Justme.
I know every single store in Tottenham Court Road and when you are now seriously telling me that those tiny family stores sell more than a MediaMarkt super store outlet than we dont even need to discuss this whole topic....
And what is this talk about limited range of goods????
I would never buy my PC at MediaMarkt but I would sure as hell buy it there before buying it in one of those shops in Tottenham Court Road.
I once went there with a friend and we tried to buy a decent LCD monitor.
Now guess what happened. We were looking for an Iiyama model that youd get in any Saturn.
But you couldnt find it in the whole street.
Weve been to every single store.
She then bought a different model and when it turmed out that it wasnt working properly she tried to bring it back but they wouldnt accept it.
To make it short: The range is very limited indeed if you intend to buy PC hardware in Tottanham Court Road.
I can tell you similar stories from Saturn mate. It's not a dream store. It's just a normal place.

And I can also tell a story of sitting in a pub in central London on a Sunday night talking about the PS2 with a friend when he decided on the spot to go out and buy one. Try buying a PS2 on a Sunday at 10:45PM in central Frankfurt.

Quote:
Sure that must be the reason why MediaMarkt and Saturn are export hits, having stores in many countries whereas Dixens and Curreys are only known in Britain. You might think that they would open a store in Germany if they are so good?
But the truth is that the market here is so competitive that even Wall Mart had to drop out again.
I'm sorry, but the Fact that a company branches out into other countries does not mean that they are any better than anything else. McDonalds can be found everywhere in the world, but would you say they make the best hamburgers on the planet?

Let’s be honest here. You are debating shopping in Frankfurt, yet I don’t think you know the shops all that well here. I also think you are confusing the difference between inner city shopping and suburban shopping. I also believe that you may know central London shopping but have very limited knowledge of it’s suburban shopping which you are comparing directly with what you know about Frankfurt.

All that aside, it is simply amazing that you could honestly be debating that Frankfurt equals London as a shopping city. London, being so much larger than Frankfurt is one fact that the central shopping is far bigger – there is simply no debate.

I think you are arguing here for the sake of the argument.
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #55
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
shops are open on Sunday which is better than in Germany but they are closing off at around 5pm if I remember correctly.
Most Supermarkets apart from a tiny minority are not 24h btw.
Theyll close off in the evening like in Germany.
Of cause there are plenty of off-license shops which are open 24h which is good to have and also much better than in germany.
but they are not supermarkets in that sense of cause.

I agree that the later weekday opening times are better in Germany. This is true.

Although the UK stores do tend to close between 5:30 and 6:00 on most weekdays in the suburbs, with the exception of a late night which is either Friday or Saturday, In the central city around Oxford Street they do stay open later depending on the store (as you can see by this link:Selfridges or

I do have to correct myself on the 24 supermarkets. When I lived in London, this was common place, even in the surrounding towns. And this was the case until just a couple of years ago. I guessed they realized you didn't need every major supermarket to be open 24hours and so now only tha main ones are in each area. But they are full sized supermarkets, not just the smaller ones. I provided links in case you wanted to check that up.
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #56
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
To come to Justme's defense, the CD stores in Frankfurt (WOM, Saturn, MediaMarkt) are crap compared to Virgin or HMV. The presentation of CDs is lame, the lighting reminds me of a Lagerhalle, the equipment for listening to CDs is old, the service is unfriendly and independent music/films are either outrageously expensive/not in stock/wrongly labeled. Let's be honest here, Frankfurt is great, but it's not the end of the world to have to admit that it isn't perfect.
Yes, there are many wonderful things about Frankfurt as well. Much like I mentioned the cost of living and being able to easily be within walking distance of the central city. The transport infrastructure is also very good, and it is quite a safe city for it's size.

The nightlife is excellent, as are the resturant choices. And the festivals mentioned could never be found in any English speaking country to the same level, size and relaxed atmosphere.

I think my main gripe for Frankfurt does come down to it's shopping. Ok, I'm not personally impressed by the museums here, but I can always visit grander ones in Berlin, Paris, London or Rome. But I do miss Sunday shopping and giant 7 day supermarkets. I can't help that. I gre up around Sunday shopping. I hate to go to the supermarket after work, and Saturday's I am always busy on other stuff. Sunday was always my traditional shopping day.

I also wish the major supermarkets had the excellent home delivery service that the big ones in the UK do. Where they deliver the goods on the day and hour that you choose (not just say it will come sometime... whenever, if they actually offer that)

So yes, I do complain about the shopping in Frankfurt, but it's a fair complaint. I also praise many other aspects of this city and certainly Germany.
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #57
goschio
proud Kuffar

I dont think Sunday shopping will come within the next 10 years. Germany is just too conservative for that.

But I hope that the shops use the liberal opeing times during the week and some supermarkets will open 24 hours. And a lot of 7-eleven style shops might pop up to serve the night people. The gas stations are just too damm expensive.

Old March 5th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #58
Golden Age

Quote:
Yes, there are many wonderful things about Frankfurt as well. Much like I mentioned the cost of living and being able to easily be within walking distance of the central city. The transport infrastructure is also very good, and it is quite a safe city for it's size.
Your shopping criticism is also my main grievance with Frankfurt. Again, I'm the first to admit that Ffm is far from perfect and wouldn't want to stoop to the level of "converting" people to Frankfurt fans (as the attractiveness of a city is undoubtedly a matter of taste). NONETHELESS, it is nice knowing that so many neutral reviews in international guidebooks and newspapers (as those mentioned in my posts) give a big thumbs up to Frankfurt's cultural, touristic and lifestyle side.
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #59
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
I dont think Sunday shopping will come within the next 10 years. Germany is just too conservative for that.

But I hope that the shops use the liberal opeing times during the week and some supermarkets will open 24 hours. And a lot of 7-eleven style shops might pop up to serve the night people. The gas stations are just too damm expensive.
It is an odd thing isn't it. For some reason, anything seems to be able to operate on Sundays except Shops. Cafe's, Bars, Restaurants, TV, Internet, factory's, etc etc. But as soon as a shop wants to open, the unions say it is unfair on the workers ??? Odd since all other workers can work Sundays.

The supermarkets have reached opening times that outside of Sundays is pretty good for me. 10pm is not bad. It would be nice 24hours, but I don't really need that.

I also look forward to the new shopping mall opening in the city. It should be quite spectacular and really improve things.
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #60
GNU
Gnuru

Quote:

Pretty strange.
To make one thing clear: Ive been to Frankfurt only once in my life and that was for 1 day more or less.
I dont know the city.
I find it bizarre however that the Saturns and MediaMarkts in Frankfurt are supposed to be crap when in my hoemtown theyre just fine.
The CD selection isnt smaller than in a Virgin Megastore apart from the one at Tottenham Court Road/ Oxford street and the one at Piccadilly Circus which now has been sold off anyways.
Considering WOM:
Yes nowadays it sucks.
A few years ago the WOM in my city was huge, but in 2002 they minimized it to 1/4 of its former size.
That comes with falling CD sales.
Its just normal.
And this trend isnt restricted to Germany.

Tags
frankfurt, frankfurt photos