daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #2021
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10026

I didn't know about that one either. Are there other private sub-sea tunnels in the world (there probably are, but I don't know any )?
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #2022
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

There is another chain of tunnels and bridges planned in the Ålesund region. The Nordøyvegen will connect a couple of islands off the coast, north of Ålesund. It will contain three sub-sea tunnels, the longest is 5.6 km, the shortest 3.4 km.

This is just north of three other sub-sea tunnels west of Ålesund. The Ålesund region will have a very high tunnel kilometer count per capita.

The project will be built between 2013-2018 (though 2014-2019 appears more likely).

http://www.vegvesen.no/Fylkesveg/fv659nordoyvegen
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #2023
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

E39 Nordfjordeid-Folkestad

The E39 was moved to a new ferry free(*) route over Hornindal in September 2012 when Kvivsvegen was opened to the traffic. I am now somewhat confused about the status of the old route Nordfjordeid-Folkestad over Stigedalen, because the maps show the E39 being the number of both the old and the new road.

(*)One ferry less.

Are there plans to downgrade the old E39 to a regional road? If yes, what happens to the Volda-Folkestad ferry connection? Will it be downgraded, too?
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #2024
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I reckon the new route is more of an advantage for east-west traffic, following RV15 from Volda to Otta towards the hinterland, than for E39 traffic. The new E39 route is 28 kilometers longer compared to the old route, I doubt if it saves much time compared to the ferry.
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #2025
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I reckon the new route is more of an advantage for east-west traffic, following RV15 from Volda to Otta towards the hinterland, than for E39 traffic. The new E39 route is 28 kilometers longer compared to the old route, I doubt if it saves much time compared to the ferry.
The ferry operates twice an hour and takes 12 minutes to cross, so including the waiting time it takes 12-42 minutes.

As the new route is toll free (at least it isn't mentioned on autopass.no) it of course saves some money. The ferry fare is 71 kr for car & driver and 28 kr for passenger (€9.43 and €3.72 respectively).
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #2026
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
The ferry operates twice an hour and takes 12 minutes to cross, so including the waiting time it takes 12-42 minutes.
The Volda-Folkestad ferry operates in 30 minute intervals, with a few exceptions, between 06 and 20 hours only.
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #2027
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Volda-Folkestad is now a regional route and is officially not part of E39, hence there has been a reduction in traffic of 30 % according to this article. According to the same article, Kvivsvegen is however not yet signposted as E39 awaiting some further improvement through Volda, which in this part of the country means another tunnel

The old E39 at the south side of the fjord, Stigedalsvegen, is steep and winding. In Norway you cannot only look at the distances in order to say something meaningful about which route is the fastest (as a certain Dutch GPS tend to do ). Having said that, I certainly agree that the new E39 (Kvivsvegen) was a typical Norwegian case where the local politicians (wanting better connections to Stryn and Oslo) won over the overall regional goal of providing better north-south connection along the coast. An outer route would certainly have been more meaningful in that respect.
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #2028
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
An interesting feature I found near Hammerfest in the far north of Norway; a private 2.3 kilometer sub-sea road tunnel. De Melkøysund Tunnel connects the island of Kvaløya (where Hammerfest is located) with the tiny island of Melkøya, where a large LNG plant was built. The tunnel is only accessible for employees.
Never heard of it, unfortunately (since I have been in Hammerfest in 2011 and that would be great to examine). I cannot find tunnel entrances on the maps of images, can anyone point them out?
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #2029
ChrisZwolle
Road user

http://goo.gl/maps/QfjnN This is the Hammerfest tunnel portal.
Old May 12th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #2030
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
This is the other one: Google Maps.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #2031
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
Volda-Folkestad is now a regional route and is officially not part of E39, hence there has been a reduction in traffic of 30 % according to this article. According to the same article, Kvivsvegen is however not yet signposted as E39 awaiting some further improvement through Volda, which in this part of the country means another tunnel
Now I am even more confused. The old route has been downgraded, but the new one is not yet signposted as E39 at the Volda end? How is the current signposting of the southbound traffic in Volda? Still advising to take the ferry like in this Google Map image dating back to year 2010?

Old May 12th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2032
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Thanks, I didn't even know it was visible on Streetview as well.
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #2033
54°26′S 3°24′E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Now I am even more confused. The old route has been downgraded, but the new one is not yet signposted as E39 at the Volda end? How is the current signposting of the southbound traffic in Volda? Still advising to take the ferry like in this Google Map image dating back to year 2010
Ok, I've been doing some more research into the issue. Probably because the locals wanted to ensure that a tunnel would be dug past a cliff prone to rock fall, the old E39 Volda - Folkestad - Stigedalen is actually still officially E39. At the same time, the newly built section, "Kvivsvegen", is E39 as well. Since the road from Volda to Kvivsvegen is yet not E39, it is not signposted as E39. Until recently, at least, the sign shown by MattiG plus the sign displayed below showed the way out of Volda in the direction of Kvivsvegen, ie as route 651, not E39:

The arrangement is described in detail here: http://www.sfj.no/sff/k2pub.nsf/view...E/12068460.PDF

Apparently, this has lead to a lot of local controversy. Hence, from now, until the new tunnel opens, Kvivsvegen will be signposted as E39 with a dashed frame from Volda in addition to 651. Dashed frame around route numbers indicates that the indicated way leads to the given route, but that the indicated way is not part of the numbered route itself. More on this spin of events can be found here:
http://www.fjordingen.no/nyhende/article7091017.ece.

All of this is, however, temporary noise, as the new tunnel replacing the "dangerous" section will be completed in November, after which Volda - Folkestad - Stigedalen will be down classified. http://www.vegvesen.no/Vegprosjekter/hjartaberget

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; May 13th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #2034
54°26′S 3°24′E

Quote:
There is another chain of tunnels and bridges planned in the Ålesund region. The Nordøyvegen will connect a couple of islands off the coast, north of Ålesund. It will contain three sub-sea tunnels, the longest is 5.6 km, the shortest 3.4 km.

This is just north of three other sub-sea tunnels west of Ålesund. The Ålesund region will have a very high tunnel kilometer count per capita.

The project will be built between 2013-2018 (though 2014-2019 appears more likely).

http://www.vegvesen.no/Fylkesveg/fv659nordoyvegen
The cost is roughly 1MNOK (in the area of 125 k€) per person connected to the mainland.......
Old May 13th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #2035
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post

The arrangement is described in detail here: http://www.sfj.no/sff/k2pub.nsf/view...E/12068460.PDF
Thanks, that clarifies a lot (even if an official document written in Nynorsk is not an easy piece of cake to me). The current arrangement is a temporary one until November. Then, a part of the Fv651 will be upgraded to E39, and a part of the E39 will be downgraded to Fv651.
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #2036
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Nordøyvegen will not start construction untill 2015 the earliest. Finances of the project is being re-negotiated at the moment.
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #2037
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rv4 Nittedal

A video about the alternatives to upgrade Rv4 in Nittedal, not far from Oslo.

How common is the Norwegian spoken in this video? I've never been to Norway, but I could understand quite a bit of it (it helps that I know a lot of road-related terminology).

Old May 14th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #2038
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
A video about the alternatives to upgrade Rv4 in Nittedal, not far from Oslo.

How common is the Norwegian spoken in this video? I've never been to Norway, but I could understand quite a bit of it (it helps that I know a lot of road-related terminology).
As more than 20 % of Norway's population (practically, the world's Norwegian-speaking population) live in Oslo or Akershus, one could say that the language spoken in the area is quite common. Though I don't know the language well enough to tell where the speaker is from.

I must admit that for one having never visited the country, you've got quite an impressive knowledge.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #2039
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

It's about 50 %, I would guess. Although the people of Statens Vegvesen speeks incredibly slow and pronounced.

New Rv4 without motorway-standard seems like a waste of money.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #2040
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E39 Rogfast / Boknafjord Tunnel

New English-language video of the planned 25.5 kilometer Boknafjord Tunnel.

Tags
norway