daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #2041
kubam4a1

Likes (Received): 6

Is the Oslo daily such a traffic jam disaster as today at tomtom?
kubam4a1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #2042
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

No. Today was exceptional!
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #2043
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10024

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubam4a1 View Post
I don't know how it was today at Tomtom, but the city does have huge problems with traffic jams. It's probably due to a combination of outdated infrastructure and suburban sprawl.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #2044
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

What a hell Does anyone know what was going on?

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #2045
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

According to Aftenposten most people took an additional day off to have a 5-day weekend combined with constitution day.

Oslo has a fairly extensive network of express roads, but much of it is heavily substandard by today's motorway standards. Even though not all fast roads around Oslo have motorway status, they are used as if they are motorways.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #2046
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

I have a question regarding E39 between the end of the new tunnel and road project Eiganestunnelen and the planned Rogfast tunnel entrance near Randaberg. The current road is an ordinary 2-lane road with level crossings and some on/off ramps. Are there any plans for this stretch?

graphics: Statens Vegvesen.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #2047
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

I think E39 Smiene - Harestad is the project your'e looking for. That project will close the gap between Eiganestunnelen and Rogfast.
This is the alternative Statens Vegvesen has gone for.

metasmurf, devo liked this post
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #2048
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Have they ever used tunnel boring machines for road tunnels in Norway? All I see are shield tunnels dug with blasting.
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #2049
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
What a hell Does anyone know what was going on?
Today appears to be equally bad.
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #2050
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

edit

Last edited by keokiracer; May 16th, 2013 at 11:44 PM.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #2051
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Have they ever used tunnel boring machines for road tunnels in Norway? All I see are shield tunnels dug with blasting.
Tunnel boring machines were used on some road tunnels in the 70s/80s. They haven't been used in recent years though.
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #2052
Ingenioren

Usually there isn't more than 5 km jam entering Oslo from E18 Mosseveien, yesterday it was more like 15 km - and it was moving more slowly than usual (i passed Vinterbro after 9 am.)...
Old May 16th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #2053
kubam4a1

Honestly I didn't expect the situation in Oslo to be that bad, with the entire ring road ready (but only 4 lanes). And I assume that due to so-called enviromental reasons no chances for widening?

I think certain well - developed European countries should picture and follow Dutch,and to an extent Danish policies from recent years as far as the highways-around-the-capital development is concerned.
kubam4a1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 11:47 PM   #2054
Ingenioren

Some of it is being widened to 3 + 3.
Old May 17th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #2055
kubam4a1

Thanks for the info, have you got AADT data?
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #2056
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Some of it is being widened to 3 + 3.
The biggest issue is, of course, the lack of quality on- and off-ramps, the short distance between intersections and weaving problems. The eastern part of Ring 3 needs 3+3 lanes plus better intersections. 2+2 is sufficient on the western part, but ramps need to be extended and some exits need to be removed. Neither is happening, though, at least not in the short term.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #2057
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Vinge Tunnel

http://www.nrk.no/sognogfjordane/i-d...det-1.11029842

A new 4.8 kilometer tunnel opened in Sogn og Fjordane last Thursday. It's part of the Bremangersambandet project, which consists of 8.4 kilometers of new road (Fv 616) and shortens coastal traffic by 40 km or 45 minutes.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH, dexter26 liked this post
Old May 19th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #2058
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
I think certain well - developed European countries should picture and follow Dutch,and to an extent Danish policies from recent years as far as the highways-around-the-capital development is concerned.
It helps being flat and having extra high population density.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #2059
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Norwegian tunnels are always interesting. I didn't know this multiple tunnel in Tromso: https://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Troms%...vegia&t=m&z=16

And this portal looks like a parking: https://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Troms%...32.55,,0,10.86

An a sixt branch is planned!

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #2060
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

I tried to compile an overview of urban Norwegian road tunnels about 5 years ago. Some tunnels have been added since, but not in Tromsø, I believe:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
The Stockholm tunnels and the tunnel network of Praha look impressive.

To show to which degree tunnels have been an essential part of city planning in Norway lately, I have collected here a few maps/illustrations of urban tunnel systems in Norway that I am aware of. Like most of the Norwegian road system, most of the urban tunnel roads are not motorways. In most of the maps/illustrations tunnels are drawn with dashed lines. My "travel" starts in the north and continues around the coast line...

Tromsø (65 000)
Despite it's small size and isolated location, Tromsø has one of the most complete underground road systems of Norway:

Most of the network is two-way traffic roads with roundabout intersections, but the tunnel under the bay (Breivikatunnelen E8) is 2+2.

Trondheim (163 000)

Except Grilstadtunnelen, Trondheim's tunnel road system as shown above is still not completed. The western tunnels (two-way highways) will be completed in two years time, currently only one tunnel and the underground roundabout is open:

(Picture taken before opening). The construction of the new eastern road system, which will be 2+2 (and as far as I know, motorway) will start next year, and also include a new bridge across the river:

Bergen (246 000)

Highway 555 is motorway and E39 North/E16 is 2+2 with motorway characteristics, whereas I believe highway 540 is two-way.

Bergen also has a new 10 km 2+2 link, of which 8 km will be tunnels, in the south-west under construction ("Western ringroad") which will connect with the 555 and 549:

Stavanger (118 000)

The tunnels are two-lane/two-way roads I believe

Kristiansand (78 000)

The E18/E39 are 2+2 with motorway characteristics

Arendal (40 000)

Two-lane/two-way tunnels

Drammen (59 000)

Except E18, whose tunnel shortly will be motorway, the tunnels of Drammen are twoway/two lanes.
Indicated by name only on the map above is a quite unique tunnel of Drammen called "Spiralen" (the Spiral):

This tunnel spirals 163 m up and is 1650 m long. It's purpose? To give the Drammen population easy access to the ski areas on the hill above the city. I have no clue how they maneged to finance this little-trafficated tunnel back in 1961.

Sandvika (adm. center of Bærum, 108 000, suburb of Oslo)

E16 is 2+2, the other tunnels probably 2-lane/2-way

Oslo (553 000)

Tunnel system at the western end of Ring 3, 2+2 with motorway characteristics

Road system of central Oslo. The E18 tunnel is motorway (3+3), the others either 2+2 or two-way (except ramps of the E18 tunnel, of course).

Road system of eastern (central) Oslo. The highway 190 and the road (wrongly?) labeled E6 are 2+2 or 3+3 with motorway characteristics

As discussed above, the eastern and central tunnel systems will be connected once the harbor tunnel is finnished (As you can see, you don't have to drive for 6 km to get to the nearest exit!):

An overview of the highway systems of Oslo with current tunnels indicated can be found here.

In addition to the tunnels mentioned above, there are also many smaller tunnels and concrete covers where office buildings etc. are built, especially on the E18 going west out of Oslo.

Lillestrøm/Strømmen (45 000, north-east of Oslo)

Highway 159 is a motorway

Future developments
Regarding the Oslo-area at least, it seems like the development of putting the highways down into tunnels will accelerate further, it's strategy that has relatively broad support among all parties. In these days the new 40-50 billion NOK transport plan of Oslo is treated by the political system, and it looks like almost the whole length of E6 and E18 running through the city will be put under the surface, as well as several other roads. One part of this plan that has been discussed for a long time is the E18 from central Oslo west to beyond Sandvika, of more than 12 km:

Framnes (Close to Festningstunnelen) -Fornebu

Fornebu-Ramstadsletta

Ramstadsletta-Sandvika

PS
I have chosen not to include three cases where long subaqueous tunnels are entering some town centers, since the motivation behind building these tunnels was not to avoid urban area conflict but simply manage to cross a strait or fjord. The subaquous tunnels of Vardø (Europe's first), Kristiansund and Ålesund are in this class.
Alas some of my links from then seem to have died. Strange to see how the population figures appear so outdated already, Trondheim is 180 000 now I believe.

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; May 20th, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway