daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #2081
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

It's only possible to do this trip in one day since the 1970s. Travel times improved from the 1980s onwards with the opening of many tunnels. The current travel time is circa 7.5 hours, depending on the exact route taken.

The ruter mellom Oslo og Bergen is a contentious discussion in Norway There are numerous options to travel between both cities. Most consider the Hardangervidda Route to be the fastest during the summer and the E16 the fastest during winter.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #2082
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Thank you for your very quick answer.

7.5 hours... is not bad considering orography and also that road is not a motorway so I think that is a good time.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #2083
ChrisZwolle
Road user

These are some of the options.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

javimix19 liked this post
Old June 12th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #2084
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

It could be 4 h on a motorway or 2 h with a high speed train, but of course the amount of tunnels needed would be huge and the costs very high.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #2085
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E39 Boknafjord Tunnel

Statens Vegvesen has decided to reduce the planned grade in the Boknafjord Tunnel from 7 to 5% to create a safer tunnel. The uphill grade would have been circa 12 kilometers long in either direction.

This means the tunnel will be 1 kilometer longer (for a total length of 26.5 kilometers) and about 400 million NOK more expensive. Because they have to make a new "reguleringsplan", the tunnel will open to traffic slightly later, in 2023.
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #2086
Hansadyret

Likes (Received): 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Sweet. I wonder how this will affect the distribution of Oslo-Bergen traffic at Hardangervidda and Filefjell, when both routes have become ferry free.

Filefjell is still more wintersafe, but 20 km longer. How much is the toll at Hardanger Bridge?
More people will take Hardangervidda in the summer months. One way crossing of the bridge will cost 150 NOK i've read some place. From 2014 allso rv.7 Sokna-Ørgenvika opens wich will make the road 20km shorter as well.
Hansadyret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #2087
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Rv52 Hemsedal is quicker than Fv7 Hardangervidda both during summer and winter, the road is straiter, have less caravans and avoids the ferry/bridge costs.
Old June 29th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #2088
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Very satisfying clip from roadwork explosions. Trøndelag, Norway.

Þróndeimr liked this post
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #2089
Agent 006

Likes (Received): 182

New E6-motorway between Trondheim and Stjørdal (Ranheim – Værnes) will only be designed for a speed of 90 km/h. A 100 km/h speed is apparently too costly, even though a cost-benefit analysis shows this option to be just as benefit as the 90 km/h alternative. A 100 km/h designed motorway could potentially have a speed limit of 120 km/h, while a 90 km/h road only have a speed potential of about 90-100 km/h I guess.

Quote:
Vegdirektoratet godkjenner søknaden om å benytte geometri fra dimensjoneringsklasse H5 og redusert tverrprofil på 21,5 m fra dimensjoneringsklasse H9. Dette blir da gjeldende standard for E6 Ranheim-Værnes. Med dette som grunnlag vil fartsgrense 90 km/t godkjennes. Fartsgrense 100 km/t er ikke aktuelt.

Many Norwegian road planners should obviously have lost their job! They lack the ability to be farsighted and progress-minded.

Last edited by Agent 006; July 4th, 2013 at 07:00 AM.
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #2090
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 006 View Post
Vegdirektoratet godkjenner søknaden om å benytte geometri fra dimensjoneringsklasse H5 og redusert tverrprofil på 21,5 m fra dimensjoneringsklasse H9. Dette blir da gjeldende standard for E6 Ranheim-Værnes. Med dette som grunnlag vil fartsgrense 90 km/t godkjennes. Fartsgrense 100 km/t er ikke aktuelt.
Do you have a link? Can't find it....
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #2091
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

I also found that a wee bit strange. I can't find any official public plans for such a project. In addition, Statens Vegvesen currently use S7 and S9 (at least according to this: http://www.vegvesen.no/Fag/Publikasjoner/Handboker) to define road standard requirements. It's certainly possible that someone may eventually suggest a reduced standard for this road - it might unfortunately even become reality - but at this moment in time, I find the claim questionable.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #2092
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post

I also found that a wee bit strange. I can't find any official public plans for such a project. In addition, Statens Vegvesen currently use S7 and S9 (at least according to this: http://www.vegvesen.no/Fag/Publikasjoner/Handboker) to define road standard requirements. It's certainly possible that someone may eventually suggest a reduced standard for this road - it might unfortunately even become reality - but at this moment in time, I find the claim questionable.

Maybe he's serving us inside information from Statens vegvesen, or their consultants? ;-)

The "Håndbok 017" is currently being revised, but I don't know when the updated version will be guiding. Roads that today are named S1, S2, S3 and on, will be named H1, H2, H3 and on. Some changes is for exampel on the S5/H5, that will be standard from AADT 6000-12000 (instead of 8000). The number of required passing sections is reduces from 3km per 10km of road, to at least 1km per 10km of road. Also, I think that passing lanes are not to be placed opposite of each other (2+2), but instead "the swedish way", with maximum 2+1.

Anyway, I thought they were planning from the earlier S7-S8, and not S9. 21,5 meter is wider than any S7/S8 road ever built, 0,5 meter narrower than minimum S9 demands. Traffic volumes indicates S9 tho....
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #2093
Agent 006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
Do you have a link? Can't find it....
Actually their starting to make a “reguleringsplan” for the stretch now.

I got the information from a document called Prinsippskisse for planlegging E6 Ranheim - Værnes. I can be found on the following address, if you click on the item "tilleggsdokumenter" on the site. Unfortunately you have to be registrated as an “oppdragssøker” to open it. So you must create a fictive account to get it. Alternatively I can send it over to you as a “vedlegg” if I got your
e-mail address.

http://www.doffin.no/search/show/sea...x?ID=JUL200432

The document shows “Vegdirektoratet” allows “Statens vegvesen Region midt” to create a new standard just for this stretch alone. They call it H7+, and have the geometry of the new H5-standard, and almost the width of the new H9-standard (21,5 vs. 23 meter).

Very strange I must say.

Last edited by Agent 006; July 5th, 2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old July 5th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #2094
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

I'm going to do a science fiction question I think, but I have to do it:

- Considering that Norway is the richest country in the world, why the government doesn't do a motorway between Bergen and Oslo? You have the money, perhaps is impossible considering the environment? I don't know and that's for I quest.

katia72 liked this post
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #2095
Groningen NL

Likes (Received): 157

Because there is not enough traffic to justify building a full motorway. If it was really needed it would've been built.

Last edited by Groningen NL; July 5th, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
Groningen NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #2096
ElviS77

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
- Considering that Norway is the richest country in the world, why the government doesn't do a motorway between Bergen and Oslo? You have the money, perhaps is impossible considering the environment? I don't know and that's for I quest.
Even if you combine all traffic crossing the mountains in southern Norway, the AADT doesn't exceed 5000, and much of that traffic isn't between Oslo and Bergen. Most people in Norway live along or not very far from the coast, particularly in the southeastern part of the country. We may eventually see a couple of quality 2-lane east-west links with motorway at each end, but that's it. An Oslo-Trondheim motorway isn't completely out of the question, though, but even that's stretching it in the most rural areas. We will however see a Oslo-Kristiansand motorway, and it's not particularly unlikely that it will continue to Stavanger and possibly Bergen. This is long-term, though.
Old July 5th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #2097
ElviS77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 006 View Post
The document shows “Vegdirektoratet” allows “Statens vegvesen Region midt” to create a new standard just for this stretch alone. They call it H7+, and have the geometry of the new H5-standard, and almost the width of the new H9-standard (21,5 vs. 23 meter).

Very strange I must say.
This is early days, the beginning of work with a "reguleringsplan". Without that, nothing's settled, and many "reguleringsplaner" are altered before the road becomes reality. BTW, the minimum standard for AADT 12-20000 and 100kph limit is 19 m, for 200000 plus it increases to 22 m. So why 21.5?
Old July 5th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #2098
ElviS77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
Anyway, I thought they were planning from the earlier S7-S8, and not S9. 21,5 meter is wider than any S7/S8 road ever built, 0,5 meter narrower than minimum S9 demands. Traffic volumes indicates S9 tho....
Precisely... The whole thing seems weird.
Old July 5th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #2099
Agent 006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
This is early days, the beginning of work with a "reguleringsplan". Without that, nothing's settled, and many "reguleringsplaner" are altered before the road becomes reality. BTW, the minimum standard for AADT 12-20000 and 100kph limit is 19 m, for 200000 plus it increases to 22 m. So why 21.5?
We could always hope for something better, but when road authorities at a national level have decided this solution, I clearly doubt any improvements will happen.

BTW, the H7+ profile will look like this: 2,25 + 3,5 + 3,5 + 0,5 + 2,0 + 0,5 + 3,5 + 3,5 + 2,25 = 21,5. The only thing separating this from the H9 profile is the width of the emergency lanes, which is 2,25 m instead of 3,0 m.

Last edited by Agent 006; July 5th, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old July 5th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #2100
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10060

I found a few historic pictures of Norwegian roads form the '60s

image hosted on flickr

O-47-38 Norge: Høyfjellsovergang, fotografert i juni by National Library of Norway, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

G-32-60 Norge: Fagernes, Valdres, ca 1965 by National Library of Norway, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

G-32-58 Norge: Fagernes, Valdres, ca 1965 by National Library of Norway, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Norge: Svinesund. Brua mellom Norge og Sverige. 65 m. fri høyde. 420 m. lang by National Library of Norway, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Norge: Gudvangen, Nærøyfjord. Sogn by National Library of Norway, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Norge: Parti fra vegen Røldal - Sauda. I bakgrunnen Røldal. by National Library of Norway, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Norge: Horten. Fergen Horten - Moss by National Library of Norway, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Norge: Parti fra helårsvegen over Haukelifjell, ved Svandalsflona by National Library of Norway, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Norge: Valle, Setesdal by National Library of Norway, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Norge: Måbødalen. Ruten Eidfjord - Fossli - Geilo by National Library of Norway, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Norge: Måbødalen. Ruten Eidfjord - Fossli - Geilo by National Library of Norway, on Flickr

That road was completely bypassed in 1986 with a series of spiral tunnels inside the mountain side. Here it is today: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=M%C3%...rd,+Norge&z=15

Tags
norway