daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #2121
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

E18 in Østfold has a 100km/h speed limit with 20m wide profile (1.5m wide shoulders), worth mentioning is that it had 90km/h upon opening in 2005.

About Rv22, i think it's to small a project - we will have a nice new expressway with bottlenecks in both ends, it should reach from Rv120 to Fv170.

Last edited by Ingenioren; July 16th, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #2122
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

- If you want to go to Oslo from Stockholm there are ferrys? I think is more short in ferry that by road.

-Is all the road motorway from Oslo to Stockholm?
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #2123
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
- If you want to go to Oslo from Stockholm there are ferrys? I think is more short in ferry that by road.

-Is all the road motorway from Oslo to Stockholm?
No, there are no ferries.

And no, there is not a continuous motorway, nor are there any plans to build one, as far as I know.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #2124
Ingenioren

A ferry from Oslo to Stockholm around the southern tip of Sweden?
Old July 16th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #2125
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
A ferry from Oslo to Stockholm around the southern tip of Sweden?
Or through Mälaren? I'm not really sure what javimix meant...

I should correct myself: there will be a continuous motorway between Oslo and Stockholm in the near future. You'll just have to make a u-turn in Helsingborg.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #2126
N.J.
In God We Trust

Likes (Received): 3

Norway uses yellow center line like the US... I like it

SturmBeobachter liked this post
N.J. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #2127
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Seems like he's mixing up Oslo with Helsinki (or New York).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #2128
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10026

Some more historic pictures from Norwegian roads. These were taken in 1953 and many of the roads have yet to get asphalt.

image hosted on flickr

17Röldahl by YlvaS, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

61HjortronplockVenabygd by YlvaS, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

47 Luster by YlvaS, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

39Gudvangen by YlvaS, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

40Norge by YlvaS, on Flickr

Tokegjelet - a road that was crudely cut into the mountainside. This stretch was by-passed with tunnels in the '60s. Today: https://maps.google.no/maps?q=Tokagj...aland&t=h&z=17
image hosted on flickr

31 Tokagjelet by YlvaS, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

30Norge by YlvaS, on Flickr

Note the extremely cool bus with a central tailfin. It have come all the way from London!
image hosted on flickr

26Norge by YlvaS, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

27Norge by YlvaS, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

29Norge by YlvaS, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

24BroFykse by YlvaS, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

18Låtefors by YlvaS, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

67Lillehammer by YlvaS, on Flickr

Suburbanist, keokiracer liked this post
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #2129
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post

Note the extremely cool bus with a central tailfin. It have come all the way from London!
image hosted on flickr

26Norge by YlvaS, on Flickr
I found some more information about this bus and the Buick next to it. The page it refers to seems to be gone though

Quote:
1949 COMMER AVENGER I

The company "Motorways Ltd." started in London in 1920 and operated tours all over Europe, and even to North Africa. Their company slogan was "See Europe from an Armchair". They stopped operating around 1929, and then a new company was started called "Motorways (1930) Ltd". Although the new company had new directors, the coaches and office was the same. This coach would be from the new company.

The body is made by Thomas Harrington, of Hove, Sussex. They had a tail sticking out of the back called a "fin", which was used for air conditioning. (Dorsal fin option). This style was started in the 1930s and continued right into the 1950s, but the registration number of this coach - KGW 810 - dates this one to 1949. It is one of four that Motorways bought in that year.
More info at:
www.thcoachwork.dsl.pipex.com/

The Buick is a 1953 Estate Wagon, last year Buick used real wood. The licence plate is a french temporary plate, the "C" says 1953, and the "F" says an entry/exit port at Le Havre.
Source: http://www.stationwagonforums.com/fo...ad.php?t=12444
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #2130
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

As usual, when I've got some extra time in the summer, I often take a drive or two. This summer, it's only been in Norway - Berlin didn't happen - but that can be fun, too, even if one doesn't cross any mountains. But perhaps the most interesting thing when it comes to driving around southern Norway is the roads you come across. The point is simple: If you do the main routes - E6, E18 etc - you'll see that the quality is improving, slowly but surely. And I'm in no doubt this development will continue, no matter who wins this autumn's election - and the next... We will get longer motorway sections: if the parties' 2013-17 programs are to be trusted, a (current parliament) massive majority favour project financing outside budgetary restrictions and the opposition, who are likely to win, want new PPP projects. All well and good (or at least better...).

Still, there are other concerns. The quality of even busy regional roads is questionable at best and towns and cities have a seriously underdeveloped road and public transport system. Of course, with the improvement of the trunk roads and railway lines, the latter will be somewhat improved. However, it's not enough, and even proposed regional transport system projects aren't enough. All the connections are still missing. I'll give a couple of obvious examples from this summer's road trips:

My first example is the fv 32 and the Skien/Porsgrunn area (I'm sorry that I didn't bring my camera and that my internet capabilities are somewhat questionable when it comes to showing stuff on maps - help, please!). Skien/Porsgrunn are twin cities about 150 kms to the southwest of Oslo along the E18. About two thirds of the E18 is a motorway, a further 30 kms is U/C and the rest is 2-lane expressway which will be dualled in the not too distant future. Skien/Porsgrunn has a population of close to 100 000 and is an important industrial area. The point of the fv 32 is that it chops more than 30 kms off a trip from Oslo to Skien (we're talking the southern 90 kms of the E18, btw) and about 20 kms if you're going to Porsgrunn as the E18 runs along the coast through a more populated area. The road ought to be reasonably good, then? Not so. It's a quite narrow and partly extremely twisty road which hasn't been improved notably since it was paved some 40-50 years ago. Driving he 60 kms of rv 32 took the same time as 90+ kms of E18 plus urban roads through Skien and Porsgrunn - even with 20 kms of road works on the E18...

The rv 22 - a national road - between Lillestrøm and Sarpsborg (yes, I know (Fredrikstad-)-Sarpsborg-Rakkestad is really the rv 111...) is a similar story, particularly if you consider the importance. This road is about 20 kms shorter Sarpsborg-Lillestrøm E6 interchange than going along the E6, but you would be borderline insane to choose it if time is essential. It's also an important local and regional link, thus the road is quite busy. The best parts are ok 2-lane road, but they see an AADT touching 10000. The rest varies considerably, even given a 5000+ AADT there are really twisty sections of narrow 2-lane road.

So what's my point? Well, these are just a few examples of Norwegian "bread-and-butter" roads in dire straits and it's really difficult to see this change, no matter who's in office. I truly believe that the most important thing is to improve our key trunk roads and I really, really think that's more important than building massive, visible, prestige-and vote-generating bridges and tunnels, but we shouldn't dilude ourselves: we will have to suffer mediocre and poor roads even when (if?) the main routes become quality. Thus, it's important to maintain all roads in a country like ours and we should perhaps try to figure out simpler and cheaper ways of improving the regional and local network.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #2131
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

I really like this visual. It will look pretty similar to the strech of E4 along Vättern in Sweden which is nice. The road is part of the
E6 Gardermoen-Biri project.

Statens vegvesen - Fellesprosjekt med Jernbaneverket E6 Dovrebanen 3D Animasjon Minnesund-Espa by Vegvesenet

rsrikanth05 liked this post
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 12:59 PM   #2132
Ingenioren

Fresh aerials of the Rv706 in Trondheim:
West-end Møllenberg tunnel:

Strindheim local intersection:

Widening works on the current road further east:

Untill E6 intersection:

E6 also being widened to 4 trough lanes:

http://www.vegvesen.no/Om+Statens+ve...Vis?key=505953

Galro, Northridge liked this post
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:18 PM   #2133
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Strindheim local intersection:

]
What's the point with having a hole down to the road underneath? Won't this simply make it a lot nosier on the top?
Old August 5th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #2134
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Fire in the Gudvanga tunnel

There has been a serious truck fire today in the 11.4 km Gudvanga tunnel on the E16, the main road between Bergen and Oslo. 75 people are hospitalized, but luckily nobody life threatening, it seems. Images can be found here: http://www.dagbladet.no/2013/08/05/n...fikk/28538083/
Old August 5th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #2135
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
The point is simple: If you do the main routes - E6, E18 etc - you'll see that the quality is improving, slowly but surely.
I can't really agree here. Within a radius of 100-200 km from Oslo, the quality has really improved over the last decades, but outside this region very little has happened on the main routes. Although a few kms here and there have been reconstructed since the 1970s, the average road quality has at the same deteriorated due to insufficient maintenance. In addition, the traffic has increased by a factor of 2.35 since 1980 (probably more on the transit routes), and the speed limits have been lowered. As a result, the travel times between the major cities have probably increased. With the currently prevailing rate of development, I will become very old and grey before Norwegian roads are brought up to an acceptable level.

Before that happens, it does not make sense to greatly improve what I consider secondary roads like Rv 22 and the short cut to Skien you mention. Indeed, that secondary roads often are brought up to the same level as national main roads have been one of the major flaws with Norwegian (lack of) infrastructure strategy, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
What's the point with having a hole down to the road underneath? Won't this simply make it a lot nosier on the top?
In this case I guess the relevant question is why they did not make a roof. I assume the answer is that they wanted some daylight in, although the trees they planted down there will counter this efffect.

Noise from this lower roundabout is probably not a big issue. There are not a lot residential buildings in the imminent surroundings, and most cars will have a low speed through the roundabout. Probably, the major part of the noise that still will escape from the lower level will go straight up and not to the sides.

In the lowermost level with the rv 706 through traffic, the speed, and hence noise, will be higher, but "the hole" does not go that far down.

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; August 5th, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #2136
Grauthue

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
Before that happens, it does not make sense to greatly improve what I consider secondary roads like Rv 22 and the short cut to Skien you mention. Indeed, that secondary roads often are brought up to the same level as national main roads have been one of the major flaws with Norwegian (lack of) infrastructure strategy, IMO.
Rv. 22 has well over 20.000 AADT, which is more than 10 times what you have on big parts of the national main road network.

(It is also financed mainly by local funds. If I remember correctly the State contributes about 13%).

Just saying.

EDIT: Sorry, I see now that I quoted you out of context (hadn't read whay you were replying to). I was referring to the stretch between Lillestrøm and Fetsund which is part of Oslopakke 3. For the rest of rv. 22 I agree with you that it is a secondary road with no particular reason to prioritize it above the main national road network.
Grauthue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #2137
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Customs procedures on the E6

Last week I crossed the Svinesund bridge on the E6 into Norway. Immediately after the border, the motorway was closed and all traffic was diverted onto the first exit for customs control. The queues were quite long, but as I got closer to the actual check I could see that the officers were only stopping Polish/Bulgarian/Romanian registered cars. Norwegian, Swedish, Dutch and German registered cars were waved right through.

Is this standard procedure for Norwegian customs officers or something special going on this particular day? How often are there actual checks at the Svinesund-crossing? The day I was there certainly didn't paint a very nice picture with certain nationalities being targeted at the border.

katia72, timeandspace liked this post
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #2138
dexter26
BANNED

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
Last week I crossed the Svinesund bridge on the E6 into Norway. Immediately after the border, the motorway was closed and all traffic was diverted onto the first exit for customs control. The queues were quite long, but as I got closer to the actual check I could see that the officers were only stopping Polish/Bulgarian/Romanian registered cars. Norwegian, Swedish, Dutch and German registered cars were waved right through.

Is this standard procedure for Norwegian customs officers or something special going on this particular day? How often are there actual checks at the Svinesund-crossing? The day I was there certainly didn't paint a very nice picture with certain nationalities being targeted at the border.
Glad to hear this. Do you have any idea how much Romanian "tourists" have cost us+been a nuisance the last few years? Sorry, but
dexter26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #2139
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Yes, unfortunately there are large amounts of criminals from Romania who ruin it for the legit and fair Romanians.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

SturmBeobachter liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #2140
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter26 View Post
Romanian "tourists"
i.e. Gypsies.
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags