daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #2161
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
There used to be a ferry connection between Lærdal and Gudvangen before the opening of the Lærdal tunnel, but as of now that service is mainly for tourists. (I'm not sure if they take cars at all.)

(EDIT: according to http://discoversognefjord.com/information/ they do. However I don't think the capacity is enough to handle all the E16 traffic, but maybe it helps a little anyway.)

The shortest and surely cheapest bypass between Oslo and Bergen is road 7 through Hardangervidda anyway.
Yes, I once took the ferry from Kaupanger to Gudvangen. It takes 2h30 or so. They do take cars, but not many.

Now, the Hardanger bridge will have a good start, then
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #2162
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordikNerd View Post

The southernmost Swedish/norwegian border has many unguarded entries, so shady people can easily choose other nearby roads to Norway.

This is one option without border Control which I passed through in 1999.
There is still border controll even when there is no customs office - all crossings, even farm roads have camera surveillance. Mobile patrols are usually found further north as all 3 border crossings south of Halden need to use Fv22 to access the rest of Norway. I have also encountered control on the border itself, but this is rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
Last week I crossed the Svinesund bridge on the E6 into Norway. Immediately after the border, the motorway was closed and all traffic was diverted onto the first exit for customs control. The queues were quite long, but as I got closer to the actual check I could see that the officers were only stopping Polish/Bulgarian/Romanian registered cars. Norwegian, Swedish, Dutch and German registered cars were waved right through.

Is this standard procedure for Norwegian customs officers or something special going on this particular day? How often are there actual checks at the Svinesund-crossing? The day I was there certainly didn't paint a very nice picture with certain nationalities being targeted at the border.
They do random checks aswell as act upon tips. I am very rarely checked with my Halden-plate, but more frequently when i had Bergen plates. Also the local bus Strömstad - Halden is often checked. From Norway to Sweden is a different story - chance of being checked is practicly zero.
Old August 8th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #2163
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
From Norway to Sweden is a different story - chance of being checked is practicly zero.
What a surprise... Nobody is smuggling cheap things from Norway to Sweden...

lanolama liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #2164
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grauthue View Post
For the rest of rv. 22 I agree with you that it is a secondary road with no particular reason to prioritize it above the main national road network.
Since I started this with a previous rant: I never suggested prioritizing rv 22 above the main network, I was only stating the obvious, really - several fairly busy regional roads (particularly around Oslo) are in dire need of improvement.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #2165
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Except when selecting the red zone, the only time I have been stopped when traveling by car across the border was when I was going into Sweden, but that was way back in the 70s when I was a kid.

Foreign trucks might get some extra attention this winter, btw. For a long time they have been required to have snow chains available. Now they finally also need to have winter tires on, in addition to an auto pass chip for the Norwegian toll roads. That continental truck drivers still are allowed to drive on slippery, winding, and narrow Norwegian winter roads without basic slippery road training is however completely reckless, IMHO.
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #2166
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
I can't really agree here. Within a radius of 100-200 km from Oslo, the quality has really improved over the last decades, but outside this region very little has happened on the main routes. Although a few kms here and there have been reconstructed since the 1970s, the average road quality has at the same deteriorated due to insufficient maintenance. In addition, the traffic has increased by a factor of 2.35 since 1980 (probably more on the transit routes), and the speed limits have been lowered.
Of course the main roads are being improved and prioritized. But just as obvious is the fact that the rate of progress is way below acceptable and we still lack a national strategy which could speed things up to an acceptable level. Maintenance is obviously even more of an issue.

Quote:
Before that happens, it does not make sense to greatly improve what I consider secondary roads like Rv 22 and the short cut to Skien you mention. Indeed, that secondary roads often are brought up to the same level as national main roads have been one of the major flaws with Norwegian (lack of) infrastructure strategy, IMO.
I agree with the lack of strategy and it's rather silly that regional and rural roads with an AADT in the hundreds sometimes are as good as or even better than the trunk roads. However, this is rarely if ever the case in the Oslo area, roads with a several-thousand AADT are sometimes too narrow for a yellow central line and most of the rest are old-fashioned, twisty and outright dangerous. That's before mentioning the state of disrepair these roads are in - the fv 33 was closed earlier this year. Not the busiest road, of course, but still more than 300 lorries a day...

Note, I also think the E6, E18, E39 Kristiansand-Bergen and a few other major arteries are (far) more important, but the Sognefjord bridge, for instance..? No effing way.

(The two roads mentioned were just examples I'd just driven, btw.)
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #2167
MattiG

Quote:
Except when selecting the red zone, the only time I have been stopped when traveling by car across the border was when I was going into Sweden, but that was way back in the 70s
I have been stopped a few times at the Finnish-Norwegian border in Kilpisjärvi at E8. That station is operated by Finland. The latest case dates back to 1991 in the direction to Finland. The officer asked their standard question: Where are you coming from. He looked rather odd when I replied: Berlin. But that was true.
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:24 AM   #2168
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:

Question:
1) How many vehicles use this tunnel? (any numbers or data?)
2) Will this tunnel be subject to the safety improvement requirements being suggested by the European Union on or before year 2020?
3) Does the EU Directive also apply to roads or tunnels that only have like 3 cars a day or less?

With that said, it will cost minimum of 1 Billion Euros for 200 tunnels to comply with the directive.

It is expensive..........but hey Norway is rich and has lots of money.

And the money will be used for a good cause anyway (i.e. improvement of road infrastructure safety). Nothing to worry about

If that 1 Billion would go to corrupt politicians, then that's when you should be worried.

But in this case, it's for the greater good.

Win-win situation

Last edited by Blackraven; August 9th, 2013 at 12:34 AM.
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #2169
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Except when selecting the red zone, the only time I have been stopped when traveling by car across the border was when I was going into Sweden, but that was way back in the 70s when I was a kid.
I was stopped when driving with my friends on road 73 in Hattfjelldal in 2005. They searched our car for booze and cigarettes (but failed).

Interestingly the actual customs office is located 40 km from the border in Sweden – the same office also serves (far more important) E12 going to Mo i Rana. So "yes we have and we are looking for the red lane" wouldn't have been an excuse at this point.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #2170
54°26′S 3°24′E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Question:
2) Will this tunnel be subject to the safety improvement requirements being suggested by the European Union on or before year 2020?
1) About 2000 AADT, but probably significantly higher during summer
2) See discussion above. Norway has with some adjustments accepted the tunnel directive, so improvements will be made.

In Norway, tunnels are actually safer than other roads statistically, both numbers being low on a global scale. However, if we had a major disaster that could of course change the statistics significantly.
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #2171
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Question:
It had a AADT of 1967 in 2011.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #2172
OulaL

The Gudvangen tunnel wasn't a part of the E16 in the first place, but the road 50. 50 connected Gudvangen and Hol. I'm not sure how much the AADT was in those days, but it's reasonable to assume it was much less than today.

The end point of 50 was on E16 in Gudvangen; E16 on the other hand used the ferry between Gudvangen and Lærdal, until the Lærdal tunnel was completed. Nowadays 50 ends at the western end of the Lærdal tunnel.
Old August 9th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #2173
OulaL

Update: The Gudvangen tunnel may be closed for a month at worst. The ferries at roads 7 and 13 have extra departures. Still, drivers are advised to prepare for waiting especially on weekends.

http://www.vegvesen.no/Om+Statens+ve...Vis?key=506632
Old August 10th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #2174
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

E16 between Rv 4 and E6 west of Gardermoen Airport will become toll free on October 1, 2013.

According to Norwegian Wikipedia, this toll road was supposed to levy tolls until 2018. What is the reason for the early decomissioning of the tolls? Was the toll part paid off before schedule?

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; August 10th, 2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo E16 > E6
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #2175
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
E16 between Rv 4 and E16 west of Gardermoen Airport will become toll free on October 1, 2013.

According to Norwegian Wikipedia, this toll road was supposed to levy tolls until 2018. What is the reason for the early decomissioning of the tolls? Was the toll part paid off before schedule?
Probably higher traffic-volumes than expected i guess. E18 in northern Vestfold, and Rv 4 at Raufoss will also be toll-free soon, both earlier then expected.
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #2176
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
Probably higher traffic-volumes than expected i guess. E18 in northern Vestfold, and Rv 4 at Raufoss will also be toll-free soon, both earlier then expected.
Quite many Norwegian toll-financed road projects have collected money much faster than expected, and the toll booths have been closed several years before planned. Fatima 2 years, Trekantsambandet 3 years and Bjørøy 5 years, for instance. Folgefonn tunnel is expected to be paid down 2 years in advance and Eiksundsambandet eight years.
Old August 11th, 2013, 02:06 AM   #2177
54°26′S 3°24′E

Lower than expected interest rates gives many toll projects a helping hand as well.

ChrisZwolle liked this post
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #2178
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

The Hardanger Bridge opened to traffic this afternoon. It is the third longest suspension bridge in Europe and the 10th longest in the world.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #2179
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Hardanger Bridge opened to traffic this afternoon. It is the third longest suspension bridge in Europe and the 10th longest in the world.

So Bergen has a road connection again, after the Gudvangen tunnel fire...

The bridge toll is 150 NOK = 19 EUR. Unlike the ferry fare, this is independent of the number of passengers.
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #2180
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
The bridge toll is 150 NOK = 19 EUR. Unlike the ferry fare, this is independent of the number of passengers.
I remeber I paid like 100 NOK two years ago for the ferry, so that is quite some money they want to have.

The good point is that the bridge will be free of charge once upon a time.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway