daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #2281
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Well, they could consider a practice of having higher speed limits in the summer. Several Nordic & Baltic countries do this.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #2282
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
The roads dimensioned for 120km/h are the ones where minimum curvature has been used (700m radius on S8 and S9). Don't know if minimum curvature has been used on motorways like E18 in Vestfold, but I know that E6 in Østfold actually is sub-standard on the parts north of the Eidet-tunnel (r=450m), which only allows 100km/h according to the parameters used to calculate speeds throug curves by Vegdirektoratet. This is because the curvature on the short-lived two-three-lane section built with the 1990's ambitions was not straitened out when expanding to four lanes.
I know, but the construction of substandard sections may still happen even if the formal criteria are changed. Building to a lower standard in places, for whatever reason, isn't uncommon anywhere in the world. I do agree, though, that some of the dualling of single-carriageway roads was rushed and not done properly, for instance the E6 in Østfold you mention, and if such things can be avoided, it's a good thing. The suggestion of a (very minor) change to the criteria has little to do with that and everything to do with appeasing certain elements of the voters. A 130 km/h motorway limit is highly unlikely to happen in the forseeable future.

Quote:
Heard not long ago, that the E6 built over Romerike up to Jessheim in the 60's was dimensioned to allow 140km/h. The old tube on the Eidsvoll tunnel only holds the standard of 110.
And if it had been dimensioned for 120 or 130, it would not have looked much different between Frogner and Jessheim, for obvious reasons. I seriously doubt that the Hvam-Frogner part was dimensioned for 140... When it comes to tunnel sections in general, I don't see them ever getting a limit higher than 110 (possibly not even higher than 100, as this seems to be fairly normal around Europe). Realigning the old Eidsvoll tunnel tube to allow for 120 km/h would have cost millions more. Not money well spent, in my book.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #2283
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
There is a margin of safety of course, but here in Norway we have a winter that can show us many different driving conditions throughout the winter than most of continental Europe. I don't think this should be messed with for very little time won.
Come on, it is of course up to the driver to adapt their speed to the weather conditions.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #2284
Heico-M

Quote:
The roads dimensioned for 120km/h are the ones where minimum curvature has been used (700m radius on S8 and S9). Don't know if minimum curvature has been used on motorways like E18 in Vestfold, but I know that E6 in Østfold actually is sub-standard on the parts north of the Eidet-tunnel (r=450m), which only allows 100km/h according to the parameters used to calculate speeds throug curves by Vegdirektoratet.
Then limit only the curves to 100 km/h. There are traffic signs out there that can do this.
Old October 8th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #2285
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Meanwhile Trollstigen has 80 km speed limit and people are clever enough to brake in the corners...

Heico-M liked this post
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #2286
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10026

Not sure if it have been shown before, but here is a video of the new National route 22. I'm not sure I'm that positive about the roundabout in the middle of it.

http://www.rb.no/bil/article6906462.ece
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #2287
Ingenioren

Yeah its on page 113.
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2288
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

There are over 900 road tunnels in Norway with total length exceeding 750 km. This is impressive to a country of a 5 millions habitants. I'm going to put some photos of the longest tunnels in Norway.

All photos taken by Google. Credits to their owners.

1- Laerdal Tunnel. 2000, 24505m.

2- Gudvanga Tunnel. 1991,11428m.

3- Folgefonn Tunnel. 2001, 11150m.

4- Korgfjell Tunnel. 2005, 8530m.

5- Steigen Tunnel. 1991, 8079m.

6- Bomlafjord Tunnel. 2000, 7888m.

7- Eiksund Tunnel. 2008, 7765m.

8- Svartisen Tunnel. 1986, 7615m.

9- Hoyanger Tunnel. 1982, 7543m.

10- Vallavik Tunnel. 1985, 7510m.

javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #2289
Ingenioren

Would be interesting to see how many meter of tunnel per capita compared to other nations...
Old October 17th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #2290
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Would be interesting to see how many meter of tunnel per capita compared to other nations...
This reference http://www.geo365.no/bergindustri/norsketunneler/ tells us the total length of the tunnels being about 1000 kilometers. That divided by the population of 5 million gives the result of 20 centimeters per capita.

The English WikiPravda tells us that the total length of tunnels in Switzerland is 403 km (2011). This divided by 8 million delivers 5 centimeters per capita.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #2291
Groningen NL

Likes (Received): 157

The Laerdal Tunnel is a piece of art.

Hmm de vid is not showing, I guess I did something wrong. Any help?

Last edited by Groningen NL; October 19th, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
Groningen NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #2292
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groningen NL View Post
The Laerdal Tunnel is a piece of art.

Hmm de vid is not showing, I guess I did something wrong. Any help?
Youtube videos usually have 11 digits in the IDs. You've probably just missed a hyphen, or something

Take a look at my Photo Mess!

Groningen NL liked this post
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #2293
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
This reference http://www.geo365.no/bergindustri/norsketunneler/ tells us the total length of the tunnels being about 1000 kilometers. That divided by the population of 5 million gives the result of 20 centimeters per capita.

The English WikiPravda tells us that the total length of tunnels in Switzerland is 403 km (2011). This divided by 8 million delivers 5 centimeters per capita.
I wonder how that would change if railway tunnels were considered as well. There are as many if not more kilometres of those in Switzerland than road tunnels.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 06:02 AM   #2294
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

There are about 700 tunnels on the rail network in Norway as well. Don't know if it will change much, but national roads and trains usually drive in similar terrains.

Old October 19th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #2295
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Switzerland has quite a few very long railway tunnels, but even with the railway tunnels added, I doubt Switzerland is getting close to Norway in terms of tunnel length per capita. Norway also has more than 3000 km of hydropower tunnels,btw.
Old October 19th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #2296
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

I think there are too many tunnels in this country. There are lots of them even in less mountainous areas, which in many cases could be avoided if one wanted to. Tunnels are massively expensive to maintain, so you'd get better roads for the same amount of money with less tunnels. I suspect road planners have a tunnel fetish. Same with roundabouts.
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #2297
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I wonder how that would change if railway tunnels were considered as well. There are as many if not more kilometres of those in Switzerland than road tunnels.
Yes, roads are much more flexible to build in mountainous terrain than railroads. Roads can have much greater inclines and can have more curves while maintaining a decent speed. This results in longer and more railroad tunnels than road tunnels.

On the other hand, there are many instances of road tunnels being built that are not necessary from an engineering point of view, but by the desire to "put roads underground". This drives up construction cost (and tolls in Norway).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #2298
Heico-M

1) Norway does not have that many railways at all - especially compared to Switzerland.

2) The advantage of "putting roads underground" is that they become less dependent on weather conditions. In a country like Norway which has a lot of snow, rain and wind, this can make a difference.
Old October 20th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #2299
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
1) Norway does not have that many railways at all - especially compared to Switzerland.
Where does this come from? The total system length of Swiss railroads is just 25 % higher than Norway's. Our lines are few, but long.

Old October 20th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2300
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

There are 816 rail tunnels in Switzerland for a total length of 662 km, including those under construction. However I fear that this figures count double tube tunnels twice, so the correct length should be around 570 km.

I don't have time now to search road and water tunnels figures, however one should note that Switzerland is much smaller and the population (which is higher) is concentrated in the hilly Plateau, while in Norway the inhabitants are scattered in a wide area full of mountains, islands and thus tunnels.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway