daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #2401
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Ryfast

Statens Vegvesen does an excellent job informing both domestic and international users of major projects.

This is an English-language video of the Ryfast project in Stavanger. This includes the world's longest submarine tunnel when completed in 2019.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

pai nosso, UmarPK liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #2402
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This includes the world's longest submarine tunnel when completed in 2019.
Guessing you mean under-sea road tunnel: 'under-sea', as the posh latin phrase 'submarine' suggests the mode of transport (eg a tunnel to let submarines into a secret underground base in some cliffs) and 'road' as the Channel Tunnel and Seikan Tunnel are rather long rail ones - I'd be surprised if anyone lets someone drive for 40km straight in a tunnel!
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #2403
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

The new government wants a 5 km long floating bridge across Bjørnafjorden between Bergen and Stavanger. Pricetag is supposed to be 19 billion NOK. Which will make it by far the most expensive road project in Norway.

– Regjeringa har bestemt seg for gigantbru

In short we get the red route instead of the proposed yellow route.
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #2404
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That is excellent. I was hoping they were going for innovative bridge solutions.
Old December 14th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #2405
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Also, Dalsfjord Bridge opens to traffic today. The forecasted AADT is 750 vehicles per day.

image hosted on flickr

Dalsfjordbrua by Njål_N, on Flickr
Old December 14th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #2406
Kjello0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That is excellent. I was hoping they were going for innovative bridge solutions.
Hopefully they use this opportunity and look 50-80 years into the future. And don't let this proposal get away.

Old December 14th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #2407
:jax:

Likes (Received): 538

19+ billion NOK (2.25 billion €) is a significant chunk of money, 3800 NOK/450€+ for every inhabitant in Norway. At least this project (unlike Sognefjorden) is between two major cities and can be expected to be in heavy use, for Norway, and a world first (floating bridge/submerged tunnel).

As there are many future crossings, especially in Asia, that might use such technology, a prototype in Norway could come handy.

Yes, this would be a natural opportunity for a rail link Bergen-Stavanger, but it is unlikely to be taken. It would add more billions to the price tag of the bridge, and this would be both the first floating road bridge and floating rail bridge, and I kind of doubt that a train could move at significant speed across a floating bridge (another first).
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #2408
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post, but there are plenty of floating bridges around, so that wouldn't be a first. In Norway, there's Nordhordland bridge:

Source: http://www.nordhordland.no

Here's a US example:

image hosted on flickr

Seattle's I-90 Floating Bridge by Michael @ NW Lens, on Flickr

:jax: liked this post
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #2409
Kjello0

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
Yes, this would be a natural opportunity for a rail link Bergen-Stavanger, but it is unlikely to be taken. It would add more billions to the price tag of the bridge, and this would be both the first floating road bridge and floating rail bridge, and I kind of doubt that a train could move at significant speed across a floating bridge (another first).
According to the company behind the video above, the extra cost of a railway bridge is about 10 %. That's for the bridge in itself though.

Also note that 19 billions is for the whole stretch Jektevik - Os. And not just the floating bridge,

My point is still this. Even tough it's highly unlikely with a raillink between Bergen and Stavanger the next 20 years. We should not go for solutions that rule out a such link in the future. The type of bridges we build should open up for a combined road and railway bridge. Even though the railway might be 50 years in the future.
Old December 15th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #2410
:jax:

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post, but there are plenty of floating bridges around, so that wouldn't be a first.
My bad, I wasn't thinking when I wrote that post. There are no submerged transport tunnels, but there would be non-permanent floating bridges at least as far back as WWII, and I have a vague recollection of temporary bridges made on top of ships back into ancient times. I wasn't aware of permanent floating bridges though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjello0 View Post
My point is still this. Even tough it's highly unlikely with a raillink between Bergen and Stavanger the next 20 years. We should not go for solutions that rule out a such link in the future. The type of bridges we build should open up for a combined road and railway bridge. Even though the railway might be 50 years in the future.
I agree with that. The planners would be amiss if they didn't include this as one of the alternatives to be evaluated, for the bridge and the link itself. This seems to be a brand new motorway parts of the distance, reserving space for rail in the middle should not be that expensive. Worst case the rail part of the bridge and motorway could be converted into more lanes when extra capacity would be needed and no rail link is forthcoming.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #2411
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Some photos of the E16-E39 intersection:

http://www.vegvesen.no/Europaveg/e39...kiv/562458.cms
Old December 18th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #2412
ChrisZwolle
Road user

When will the Oslofjord Tunnel become toll free? I believe it was originally planned for 2013.
Old December 18th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #2413
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10017

It was proposed earlier this year to extend the time with three new years. There have been some controversy surrounding that proposal so I don't know if it have been altered.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #2414
devo

Likes (Received): 41

And they might be building a paralell tunnel, perhaps saving up some money for that? I hope they build a motorway bridge instead, connecting E 18 and E 6. Regular traffic can use the tunnel.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #2415
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

It will be downplayed in 2028 according to current plans (2nd tube and widening of Akershus part), the current Rv23 was downpayed this august. Most likely there will also be widening to motorway standard on the remaining parts in Buskerud financed by it's own toll-points. If a bridge solution is chosen in this corridor, the current tunnel will be closed to save maintenance cost.

In other news, an upgraded intersection on E39 near Haugesund:

http://www.tu.no/vareveger/nyheter/2...sort-er-ferdig

Last edited by Ingenioren; December 19th, 2013 at 10:08 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2416
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E6 Alta

Kåfjord Bridge opens to traffic today. The planned toll collection is scrapped.

image hosted on flickr

2013_08_31_EOS60D_0016006 by Friðrik Hansen Guðmundsson, on Flickr

The adjoining Sáhkkobátni Tunnel also opens (1.208 m)

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Norge78 liked this post
Old December 20th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #2417
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E16 Vossevangen

The Vangs Tunnel opens to traffic today. It's the bypass of Vossevangen. The tunnel is 2469 m long and single tube. It has a T10.5 profile (diameter). Construction cost was 720 million NOK / € 85 million (including adjoining road infrastructure).

Norge78 liked this post
Old January 2nd, 2014, 08:25 AM   #2418
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Narrow bridge on E6 in Nord-Trøndelag. Only in Norway

Edit: Apparently a new bridge has been built to replace this one, which opened 19th of December. Read about it here

Zagor666 liked this post

Last edited by metasmurf; January 2nd, 2014 at 08:48 AM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:05 PM   #2419
ChrisZwolle
Road user

2013 traffic fatalities

2013 recorded a substantial increase in traffic fatalities in Norway. According to preliminary figures, 190 people were killed on Norwegian roads, up 45 from 2012. Especially the second half of 2013 recorded more fatalities. 40% of the fatalities did not wear a seat belt.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:36 PM   #2420
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

The Roads Administration have narrowed down three possible fixed crossings of the Oslo Fjord which will be evaluated in more detail (though 12 other alternatives have not been completely ruled out yet). The three contenders are (1) bridge from Rødtangen (Hurum) to south of Holmestrand (2) tunnel from south of Moss to south of Horten, or (3) bridge in the same location as (2).

I don't quite understand the first alternative, as it doesn't actually cross the Oslo Fjord.

http://www.moss-avis.no/nyheter/diss...g-ut-1.8221895

Last edited by suburbicide; January 2nd, 2014 at 11:41 PM.
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway