daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #2521
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

E18 Porsgrunn - Larvik

Aerial photos of the E18 motorway between Porsgrunn and Larvik in southern Norway. It shows that despite the mountains not being high, the terrain remains challenging.

http://www.bygg.no/article/1189625

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Equario liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #2522
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

I think that's from the new railway, not E18.
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #2523
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think you are right. I missed the "Alle foto: Jarle Foss/Jernbaneverket." section.

Anyway, E18 will be constructed nearby, so it gives a good idea of the terrain.
Old March 30th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #2524
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafangr View Post
Yes, vegen and veien is the same word. Statens vegvesen is a name, and it is not correct to conjugate or change names in the Norwegian language. If someone writes Statens veivesen, it is grammatically wrong. They probably do it because they say vei in their dialect, and forget the correct spelling of the name.

Btw, veiene and vegane are vei/veg in plural, definite form.
Statens vegvesen changed from veivesen in 1944 i believe. Also, street is sometimes confusing: Gate, gata, gaten. Here in Kristiansand, a "bokmål" county, you'll even have 4 different spellings: Markensgade, Markensgate, Markensgata, Markensgaten. The first three are definitlely on streetsigns from different periods along the street, and off course, it all means the same thing.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 05:03 PM   #2525
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E16 Bergen - Voss

They have chosen the combined road/rail upgrade alternative for E16 between Arna (Bergen) and Voss.

68 kilometers of road will be upgraded, mostly underground, based on this map, I would guess approximately ¾ is in tunnels, which means 50 kilometers of new tunnels.

T = rail passengers per day (2050)
B = road vehicles per day (2050)

The idea is to build road and rail tunnels next to each other, so they can act as safety tubes. That way they don't have to build parallel safety tubes to conform to the EU tunnel directive.
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:19 PM   #2526
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

What's the problem with the current road? 10-12,000 vehicles per day 40 years from now is not all that much.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:29 PM   #2527
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You're thinking from a central European point of view. You have to consider this is one of the most important roads in Norway, and travel times are long between cities. Oslo - Bergen is only 475 kilometers, but it takes around 7.5 hours to drive it, more in adverse weather conditions.

I think Norway should introduce more passing lanes on major highways between the cities that carry more truck traffic than average. This allows for a faster and safer drive. Although traffic volumes are relatively low, it's annoying to get stuck behind a truck for prolonged periods of time. Passing is often not safe on winding roads.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

devo liked this post
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:31 PM   #2528
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

For one thing it's unreliable. Just last week it was closed 5 days due to a landslide and the only diversion "suitable" for trucks was the Fv7, a narrow and slow 50km detour:

Old April 1st, 2014, 09:36 PM   #2529
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Many Norwegian tunnels are for "rassikring" (avalanche protection).

http://www.vegvesen.no/Fag/Teknologi...d/Skredsikring
Old April 2nd, 2014, 12:58 AM   #2530
devo

Likes (Received): 41

If they do this E 16/railway project correctly, whenever a second road tunnel is needed, there will be space for it. But. E 16 is a ridiculous route from Bergen to Oslo. They should have spent the money from this project on a more direct route from Oslo, connecting to both Stavanger and Bergen. And obviously avoiding this avalanche-prone route.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:10 AM   #2531
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It seems to me that E16 - RV7 becomes the best route from Bergen to Oslo? Especially with the E16 upgrade, new Hardanger Bridge and that new alignment near Sokna. That leaves Hardangervidda as a problem.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:42 AM   #2532
Ingenioren

Pre Lærdal tunnel the Fv50 was best.Ever since it is Rv52.
Old April 10th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #2533
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Ryfylke Tunnel

Ryfylke Tunnel progress:

They appear to blast approximately 150 meters per month based on the previous progress graph (980 m and 250 m on 20 March 2014).
Old April 15th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #2534
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It seems to me that E16 - RV7 becomes the best route from Bergen to Oslo? Especially with the E16 upgrade, new Hardanger Bridge and that new alignment near Sokna. That leaves Hardangervidda as a problem.
There is a proposal to make a tunnel to bypass the highest section of Hardangervidda.

That solution would not be a silver bullet, because the endpoints of the tunnel would be at the altitude of 1000 metres.

The project to build a new stretch of E16 over Filefjell is about to start. There will be a new tunnel, with the ends at the level of 1000 metres, too. From the winter traffic point of view, the route over Filefjell might be the most attractive alternative, because the mountain ridge is there much narrower than in Hardangervidda and Haukeli. A good and cheap option is not available.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #2535
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Pre Lærdal tunnel the Fv50 was best.Ever since it is Rv52.
The Rv52 might be troublesome during the winter, I presume. It climbs up to 1100+ meters.

The Fv50 Hol-Aurland is one of my favourites, especially the descent to Vassbygdi.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #2536
Ingenioren

^Fv50 is very beautiful indeed - but not effective.

E39 trajectory trough Møre og Romsdal county has been chosen by the government, and surpricingly it went for a less direct and more expensive route south of Ålesund:

It includes:
-1.4 km span suspension bridge.
-A twin tube 15km subsea tunnel.
-4 km floating bridge.

Old April 16th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #2537
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

The crossing of the wide and deep Storfjorden is probably still quite a few years ahead. By then, let's hope that the E39 will be realigned further south as well. Having the "coastal Highway" going more or less straight east from the ocean shores of Hareid to the far inland community of Stryn is ridiculous.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 02:06 PM   #2538
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Hardanger Bridge

The Hardanger Bridge reached its highest traffic count so far at Easter, with 4,000 vehicles in a day.

Største utfartsdagen var 1. påskedag, med 4.014 passeringar. Dette er det høgste trafikktalet sidan opningsdagane på brua i august 2013. 2. påskedag var det 3.098 som passerte over Hardangerbrua. Fredag før palmehelga var trafikken oppe i knappe 3.000 køyretøy.

http://www.vegvesen.no/Om+Statens+ve...Vis?key=615986
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:28 PM   #2539
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The Rv52 might be troublesome during the winter, I presume. It climbs up to 1100+ meters.

The Fv50 Hol-Aurland is one of my favourites, especially the descent to Vassbygdi.
This is the predicament. The three alternate northern routes - fv 50, rv 7, rv 52 - have long and and fairly exposed mountain crossings which cannot easily be solved. E16 is better in that respect, but it's far longer. The southern E134 across Haukeli will be realigned in the not too distant future, making it the shortest Oslo-Bergen link with a sensible routing through the mountains. However, since the main east-west road traffic is regional and not long-distance, it's virtually impossible to prioritize just one link. The E134 is important for southern Hordaland as well as northern Rogaland, so it will be a priority.

To the north, however, the situation is different, both due to geography and local and regional politics. The E16 is being upgraded (slowly...), but eventually I believe the E16-rv52-rv7-E16 link will be chosen. It's sort of in the middle, geographically speaking, easier to upgrade than rv 7 and/or fv50 and considerably shorter than the current E16 routing. It would be my preferred solution as well, but given the state of local/regional politics in Norway and the influence they actually have over national issues, nothing's for certain. I do, however, believe that a northern and a southern (E134) route eventually will truly be prioritized, and that's the most important thing, the way I see things.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:48 PM   #2540
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
This is the predicament. The three alternate northern routes - fv 50, rv 7, rv 52 - have long and and fairly exposed mountain crossings which cannot easily be solved. E16 is better in that respect, but it's far longer. The southern E134 across Haukeli will be realigned in the not too distant future, making it the shortest Oslo-Bergen link with a sensible routing through the mountains. However, since the main east-west road traffic is regional and not long-distance, it's virtually impossible to prioritize just one link. The E134 is important for southern Hordaland as well as northern Rogaland, so it will be a priority.
That is interesting. Do you have any details on how the road is going to be realigned?
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway