daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:54 PM   #2541
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
That is interesting. Do you have any details on how the road is going to be realigned?
Only in Norwegian, unfortunately:

http://www.vegvesen.no/Europaveg/haukeli

To sum up, the plans call for new tunnels and a completely new alignment avoiding the Røldal climbs. I won't bet on any construction in this decade, though.

Heico-M liked this post
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #2542
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
Only in Norwegian, unfortunately:
Bare fint, jeg skjønner Norsk og, takk skal du ha.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #2543
Hansadyret

Likes (Received): 622

Good news: Rv.7 Sokna-Ørgenvika will open june 6th. Will reduce travel time on rv.7 by about 20 mins

http://www.vegvesen.no/Riksveg/Sokna

Bad news: planning and building of new E16 Hønefoss-Sandvika still taking forever....

Last edited by Hansadyret; April 25th, 2014 at 12:25 AM.
Hansadyret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #2544
CSSR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

20 min???? 20 freaking mins?

Why do we need this waste of money that could be spent on Public transport...
CSSR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #2545
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

20 minutes is quite a significant travel time reduction.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #2546
JayCube

Likes (Received): 44

It depends thou how many cars will save this time thou...
JayCube no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #2547
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSSR View Post
20 min???? 20 freaking mins?

Why do we need this waste of money that could be spent on Public transport...
Please, tell us all about how spending the same money on public transport (what kind?) will improve this part of rv. 7. Don't forget that public transport (express buses) also will benefit from this realignment. AND the local communities who will have a better environment, no longer having a main road outside their doors. AND saved fuel and emissions due to better alignment of the road.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #2548
Mirror's Edge
Free the Nordic people!

Likes (Received): 2638

The guys avatar is enough of an answer.

devo, Heico-M, Filand liked this post
Mirror's Edge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:34 PM   #2549
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E39 Rogfast

Six consultancies want to design the Rogfast connection, a nearly 27 kilometer long twin-tube tunnel.

http://www.vegvesen.no/Om+Statens+ve...Vis?key=617498

It's notable how far apart the offers are, ranging from 85 million NOK to 349 million NOK!

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

devo liked this post
Old April 26th, 2014, 12:17 AM   #2550
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Underground roundabout

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Natomasken liked this post
Old April 26th, 2014, 12:38 AM   #2551
Hansadyret

Here is a similar one from the new Haugesund T-connection. This one is also 60 meters below sea level.

Old April 26th, 2014, 01:29 AM   #2552
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
The E134 is important for southern Hordaland as well as northern Rogaland, so it will be a priority.
Don't forget that it will become more important for Stavanger and Sørfylket when Rogfast is built. Some say that the drive between Stavanger and Oslo would be shortened by two hours if E134 is improved.
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #2553
Natomasken

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Underground roundabout
I found this on Google maps (possible because of the sign!) and see it connects to a new bridge, with another underground roundabout at the other end of the bridge. I drove along these roads (Rv7 and 13) going from Bergen to Oslo in 2004. At that time, there was a ferry crossing here. We had gone to Bergen from Oslo on E16. I'd figured an "E" road would be better, but IIRC, Rv7 was a better and more scenic road. But it seemed to be at a higher elevation so I guess it might have more weather problems in the winter, and maybe that's why the other road is the "E" route. I was happy to have gone over E16, though, to be able to drive through the Laerdal Tunnel. The tunnels in Norway are so impressive, especially considering what a small population and a big land mass Norway has. While I'm sure they're very practical for all-weather travel and preserving the environment, the downside is they deprive tourists from being able to see all the beautiful scenery!
Australia: ACT, NSW, VIC
Roadnerd over 40 years!

AlanHaydar, Hansadyret liked this post
Natomasken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #2554
Hansadyret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomasken View Post
We had gone to Bergen from Oslo on E16. I'd figured an "E" road would be better, but IIRC, Rv7 was a better and more scenic road. But it seemed to be at a higher elevation so I guess it might have more weather problems in the winter, and maybe that's why the other road is the "E" route.
You are right E16 is the safer in the winter and thats why it's the "E" road. As a tourist or in the summer months i would rather drive Rv. 7 Hardangervidda

The E16 road is also getting better and better as a lot of projects and contruction is going on.

Under contruction: E16 Smedalsosen–Borlaug

About to start contruction: E16 Varpe bru–Smedalsosen

Animation of the new E16 filefjell road from coming out of the 6km filefjell tunnel(construction starts this year, contract is signed). The road is being straightened and elevated so it's easier to keep the snow away.

Video about the ubgrading of E16 from statens vegvesen (in norwegian)

Last edited by Hansadyret; April 26th, 2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old April 26th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #2555
:jax:

Likes (Received): 538

An opinion piece in Norwegian in Dag og Tid.

Ferjefritt og frykteleg dyrt
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #2556
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

Quote:
I found this on Google maps (possible because of the sign!) and see it connects to a new bridge, with another underground roundabout at the other end of the bridge. I drove along these roads (Rv7 and 13) going from Bergen to Oslo in 2004. At that time, there was a ferry crossing here. We had gone to Bergen from Oslo on E16. I'd figured an "E" road would be better, but IIRC, Rv7 was a better and more scenic road. But it seemed to be at a higher elevation so I guess it might have more weather problems in the winter, and maybe that's why the other road is the "E" route. I was happy to have gone over E16, though, to be able to drive through the Laerdal Tunnel. The tunnels in Norway are so impressive, especially considering what a small population and a big land mass Norway has. While I'm sure they're very practical for all-weather travel and preserving the environment, the downside is they deprive tourists from being able to see all the beautiful scenery!
Well, yes the main roads would be less scenic, but for the most the old roads still are there, plus we're getting better at marking and preparing tourist roads with frequent stopping points around the country

Take a look at my Photo Mess!

Heico-M liked this post
IceCheese está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #2557
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
An opinion piece in Norwegian in Dag og Tid.

Ferjefritt og frykteleg dyrt
Nothing of real value in that. By using that way of calculating the profits of building infrastructure. One would never build any kind of infrastructure in Norway.
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #2558
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
I was happy to have gone over E16, though, to be able to drive through the Laerdal Tunnel. The tunnels in Norway are so impressive, especially considering what a small population and a big land mass Norway has. While I'm sure they're very practical for all-weather travel and preserving the environment, the downside is they deprive tourists from being able to see all the beautiful scenery!
Lærdal tunnel can be bypassed using a mountain road... if you really think the daylight-sections of E16 don't give enough of a scenery

Last edited by OulaL; April 27th, 2014 at 12:20 PM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #2559
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
The southern E134 across Haukeli will be realigned in the not too distant future, making it the shortest Oslo-Bergen link with a sensible routing through the mountains. However, since the main east-west road traffic is regional and not long-distance, it's virtually impossible to prioritize just one link. The E134 is important for southern Hordaland as well as northern Rogaland, so it will be a priority.
I think the attractiveness of the E134 as the route between Oslo and Bergen depends on how the crossing Hardangerfjorden will be arranged. The current route over Hardangerbrua and Voss adds 70+ km to the route via Jondal.

The fixed link would be expensive because the depth of the sea at Jondal is 500+ metres. Therefore, the tunnel most probably is out of question. The narrowest point of the fjord is about 1700 metres. No way to build pillars on the seabed but a suspension bridge similar to Hardangerbrua could be the option.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 04:43 AM   #2560
:jax:

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjello0 View Post
Nothing of real value in that. By using that way of calculating the profits of building infrastructure. One would never build any kind of infrastructure in Norway.
Not where few people are living in any case, it takes some financial acrobatics to make E39 north of Bergen profitable. That happens with other infrastructure projects as well, but at least there there are some people to benefit from it.

:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway