daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #2641
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Also, E16 has two branches, if you're coming from Fagernes, E16 goes via Hønefoss and then to Gardermoen. However, if you're coming from Oslo, E16 is signed from the Sandvika interchange to Hønefoss, which is the old route.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #2642
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
/offtopic question: is ø the same character both in N and D, or are there minor differneces?
Exactly the same. Written Norwegian comes from Danish. One of the effect of being controlled by Denmark for 400 years.
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #2643
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjello0 View Post
Exactly the same. Written Norwegian comes from Danish. One of the effect of being controlled by Denmark for 400 years.
seconf off-topic question on this subject: is this the same as the diameter mathematical symbol when written on a Norwegian keyboard or not?
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #2644
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
By the way, what does -moen means? I've seen many places / locations ending in -moen.
"-moen", or "-mo" has two related meanings:
(1) Its a flat area, often near a river, that has brought masses and made a flat landscape between valley-sides. Often forests has grown here, or its just open landscape.
(2) The other meaning derives from the first one, and is places used for army exercise drills, and army bases from hundreds of years back. Examples of these names are Jørstadmoen in Lillehammer, Setermoen in Troms, Terningmoen in Elverum and Gardermoen, which is now Oslos main airport.
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #2645
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
By the way, what does -moen means? I've seen many places / locations ending in -moen.
According to wikipedia, a mo is a flat area, a field, etc. Usually a dry and sandy field. I rarely hear it being used besides as a family name or at the end of place names. It's more common in the east than in the west. The navy/air force recruitment camp KNM Harald Hårfagre is located at Madlamoen in Stavanger (west coast), but nobody around here ever uses the name Madlamoen. A lot of military camps are named -moen, which I guess is because they were placed at a dry, flat field.

Last edited by Stafangr; June 13th, 2014 at 02:37 PM.
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #2646
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Exactly the same. Written Norwegian comes from Danish.
Bokmål is derived (altought 'norwegianized') from Danish grammar. Nynorsk isn't, but still uses æøå.
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #2647
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
I noticed electric cars are quite popular in Norway, especially in the larger urban areas, such as Bergen and Oslo. You can recognize them with the license plate that starts with EL (elbil - electric car). I've seen more electric cars in 3 hours around Bergen than in a month in the Netherlands.
Tesla Model S is actually the second best selling car in Norway so far this year, just behind VW Golf. Another electric car, Nissan Leaf, has the number 3 spot.

This is of course due to the incentives that are in place (practically no taxes, (not even VAT), free tolls, free ferries, free public parking, allowed to drive in bus lanes).
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 03:21 AM   #2648
Bjørne

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post
Tesla Model S is actually the second best selling car in Norway so far this year, just behind VW Golf. Another electric car, Nissan Leaf, has the number 3 spot.
Actually... In March this year, 1493 Tesla Model S's were sold in Norway, out of about 3000 cars in total. That's more than 70 cars per day! VW Golf was in second place, with 624 cars.

The last (and only) time a car model was even close to that number was in 1986, when 1454 Ford Sierra's were sold in May that year.

Sources:
Dagbladet.no
TV2.no
Bjørne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 05:02 AM   #2649
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
seconf off-topic question on this subject: is this the same as the diameter mathematical symbol when written on a Norwegian keyboard or not?
No. That symbol should have a perfect circle in it, whereas letter ø has the letter o. Depending on the font you're using, "o" is usually not a circle (but a litter higher than it is wide).

To finish with this offtopic, diameter can also be shortened as d.
Old June 13th, 2014, 06:02 AM   #2650
Agent 006

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
The last part of E16 east of Kongsvinger is now also be brought up to standards. It's under construction to widen it by 1 m on either side, across 16 km between Masterud and Øyermoen. The rest is now widened to two lanes that can accommodate 80 km/h.

However, there is a railroad underpass just east of Kongsvinger that is too low for trucks (I think it was about 3 m clearance). A detour is posted for trucks.

Skinnarbøl (Kongsvinger) - Masterud will get 8,5 m standard, Masterud - Jammerdal already got this standard, while Jammerdal - Øyermoen (Border) will be 7,5 m wide. The last stretch could get a new road somewhere in the future though.
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #2651
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10026

Quote:
I noticed electric cars are quite popular in Norway, especially in the larger urban areas, such as Bergen and Oslo. You can recognize them with the license plate that starts with EL (elbil - electric car). I've seen more electric cars in 3 hours around Bergen than in a month in the Netherlands.
I believe electric cars currently have an market share of 13% here in Norway.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #2652
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
....However, if you're coming from Oslo, E16 is signed from the Sandvika interchange to Hønefoss, which is the old route.
Worth mentioning is the construction of a new four lane E16, mainly in tunnel under Sandvika. The new section will only be 3,5 km long, but is expected to cost as much as NOK 3,8 billions (EUR 381 millions), because of (among other things) though geology, existing infrastructure, and the fact that this is a heavily dense populated area. The project was sent out for contractors to give price a couple of days ago.

http://www.tu.no/vareveger/nyheter/2...-utlyst-pa-e16

The new section will include a 2,3 km long tunnel under central Sandvika, and the construction of a new network of local roads. The new tunnel is to be built so that the new E16 may connect directly into a new E18 in tunnel under Sandvika. Whether the new E18 will come anytime soon, is still to be seen.

The current E16 through Sandvika is one of the most heavily trafficated two lane roads in Norway, with a daily mean traffic of well over 30 000 vehicles.

Construction is expected to commence around New Year, and due to completion by december 2019. Speed limit will be 80km/h, and the new road will connect E18 with a four lane section of E16 opened in 2009.

ChrisZwolle liked this post
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #2653
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Many roads in Norway run alongside lakes of fjords. But these routes could be made much more interesting for tourists if they were to cut the trees blocking the view. Often there is just a small line of deciduous trees that are blocking the view. I understand if there is a small forest between the road and the lake/fjord, but often it's just one line of trees.

Another possible improvement are parking areas. Due to the curvy roads, you often don't spot scenic parking areas until the last possible moment. It would be better if they would sign such parking areas about 300 meters in advance so drivers can prepare to stop.
Old June 13th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #2654
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Many roads in Norway run alongside lakes of fjords. But these routes could be made much more interesting for tourists if they were to cut the trees blocking the view. Often there is just a small line of deciduous trees that are blocking the view. I understand if there is a small forest between the road and the lake/fjord, but often it's just one line of trees.
Signed!

But it may be for windshield reasons (?)

Quote:
Another possible improvement are parking areas. Due to the curvy roads, you often don't spot scenic parking areas until the last possible moment. It would be better if they would sign such parking areas about 300 meters in advance so drivers can prepare to stop.
That is also true, however, they have been working on it during the last years, check the National Tourist Roads (Nasjonale Turistveger) for instance.

What I find more troubling is that the old adventurous narrow roads are more and more disappearing due to widening. This is of course understandable from a native's point of view, but for a tourist, it is just a shame.

Could be I mentioned this before, couldn't it?
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #2655
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
What I find more troubling is that the old adventurous narrow roads are more and more disappearing due to widening. This is of course understandable from a native's point of view, but for a tourist, it is just a shame.
You will be more forced of the main roads and onto alternative back roads for example for Bergen - Voss there is the Bergsdalen route:

Heico-M liked this post
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #2656
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
Signed!

But it may be for windshield reasons (?)
The reason is simply that it costs to much and it's hard to do it in a safe way.
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #2657
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Oslo "bus lane" at rush hour...

Source: http://www.josy.no/index.php/blogg/i...atis-parkering
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 04:06 PM   #2658
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I found the Oslo road network to be woefully substandard for a large city. The "motorways" had a speed limit of just 70 km/h. Bergen was worse though, the 'motorway' E39 looks like a controlled-access residential street at times.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

devo liked this post
Old June 14th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #2659
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

There's no more room for cars in downtown Oslo, so that's perfectly fine by me. We could use a couple of new bypasses though.
70km/h as a speed limit within urban Oslo is due to health reasons. Oslo is one of the world's most polluted cities at winter, constantly breaking EU-rules for air quality. A lower speed limit aggregates lower levels of road dust. You're not likely to spend more than 20 minutes to pass the city eitherway.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #2660
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I doubt if it is safe to have 100 km/h on the Oslo 'motorways'. They are very curvy and don't seem to be designed for current traffic demand.

Are there plans for more bypasses? They need a lot of tunnels. I suppose the far, far majority of traffic on Ring 3 and E6 in Oslo has a destination or origin within the urban area.

Tags
norway