daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2014, 07:26 AM   #2721
MattiG

Likes (Received): 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I was just comparing the situation with that of Northern Quebec and Labrador.
Not much in common with Labrador and Scandinavia. Look at the map. Even if the northern Scandinavia is sparsely populated, it is far from being deserted. The wheels must keep running all year long.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #2722
Rob73

Likes (Received): 177

I'm was very surprised by the amount of road works along the E6, from the new part north of Lillehammer and the extensive works after Hammar. What I was also wondering is are the double track railway lines being laid beside the E6 being made for easy conversion to HSR, or is it just an opportunistic upgrade due to the extensive road building?
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #2723
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
Another urban-highway project is scheduled to open tomorrow. This time in Kristiansand. 2,5km of four-lane expressway, including a 1,3km double-bore tunnel will ease the traffic from E39 to the city`s larges district Vågsbygd.
¨

A couple of photos from fvn.no:

Quote:
Is there some publicly stated policy on criteria for ferry replacement?
Yes, and now a ferry eliminating project will receive funds equivalent to running the ferry for 30 years - previously 15 years, including a proposal for lower interest rates for road loans we might see more currently unfeasible project see the light of day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
What I was also wondering is are the double track railway lines being laid beside the E6 being made for easy conversion to HSR, or is it just an opportunistic upgrade due to the extensive road building?
Railroad will have a top speed of 200km/h. The whole section to Hamar is due to have twin tracks withinn 10 years to allow for twice as many trains and travelling time 1 of hour to Oslo.

---

Some photos of Rv7 in Buskerud opening tomorrow (bygg.no):

SRC_100, Filand liked this post
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #2724
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The new Rv. 7 shortcut will solidify that route as the shortest and fastest route from Oslo to Bergen, at least in the summer.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #2725
Ingenioren

Absolutly, and even winter (appart from stormy days.) Nice to see Vegvesenet have chosen not to put lamps on the whole road as they usually do!
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:19 PM   #2726
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

I thought the Laerdal and Gudvanga tunnels had been built for the purpose of making E16 the major Bergen-Oslo link.

Wouldn't it be better to invest in one of these two links, building 1+2 and 2+2 sections, instead of building scattered and expensive 1+1 tunnels on both?
Old June 26th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #2727
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This road was originally planned to open on 7 June, but was postponed. I drove there on 9 June so I couldn't use the new road unfortunately. Old Rv. 7 was already renumbered to Fv. 280 at Sokna.

The old road wasn't that bad though. It is curvy like any other Norwegian road, but it was wide enough for two lanes and it allowed a fairly decent driving speed. It was mainly the extra kilometers (time) that was the incentive to build this new shortcut.
Old June 26th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #2728
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
I thought the Laerdal and Gudvanga tunnels had been built for the purpose of making E16 the major Bergen-Oslo link.

Wouldn't it be better to invest in one of these two links, building 1+2 and 2+2 sections, instead of building scattered and expensive 1+1 tunnels on both?
Maybe, but you also have to consider that the vast majority of traffic on these roads is not going all the way from the Oslo area to the west coast (or vice versa). It's mostly local/regional traffic. Few people drive Oslo-Bergen. They take planes.
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #2729
Ingenioren

Quote:

In reality E16 (Filefjell) has never been the major road between those cities, and probably never will be.
Old June 27th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #2730
MattiG

Likes (Received): 617

Quote:

That approach would be easy if it were a question about the road between Bergen and Oslo only. However, each of the three current main corridors has a significant regional importance, too. Dropping two of three would be a political mission impossible.

Last edited by MattiG; June 27th, 2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Grammar
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #2731
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
In reality E16 (Filefjell) has never been the major road between those cities, and probably never will be.
There are only 3 towns with a population of over 1,000 people on a 440 kilometer stretch of E16 between Bergen and Hønefoss...

* Dale 1.174
* Vossevangen 5.993
* Fagernes 1.762
Old June 27th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #2732
Filand
<3ne W<3rld

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There are only 3 towns with a population of over 1,000 people on a 440 kilometer stretch of E16 between Bergen and Hønefoss...

* Dale 1.174
* Vossevangen 5.993
* Fagernes 1.762
A lot of cabins tho.
Filand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #2733
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some places probably have more cabins than permanent inhabitants.
Old June 27th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #2734
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rv. 7 Hønefoss - Gol

A 20 minute video that shows most of the Rv. 7 from Hønefoss to Gol. I skipped the less interesting parts through heavily forested areas. It also shows the route around Lake Krøderen that is bypassed as of today.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Hansadyret liked this post
Old June 27th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #2735
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Something I noticed in your videos is that Norwegian signaling is quite lax in terms of allowing (dotted central line) overtake on 1+1 roads, even in some rather curvy sectors where prudence might have yielded making them no-overtake zones.
Old June 27th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #2736
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Whatever the road markings, passing is unlawful when unsafe, and this depends on situation. Hence, normally passing of a car is illegal when the dashed line is used, typically before curves and hill tops, rather than the dotted line. Passing of slower vehicles (e.g. tractors) or bikes might still be permissable.
Old June 27th, 2014, 06:35 PM   #2737
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The new access into Trondheim from the east was inaugurated today by the prime minister and the minister of transportation. It includes the 2.5 km Strindheim Tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post
Some pictures:

This new rv 706 stretch is a great improvement, although I do not use car for work, and live in a different part of the city, I have already driven there several times already. This tunnel is a bit out of the ordinary in Norway, as the tunnel passes through a significant length of quick clay at the city side. Another aspect that is special is the three stacked intersection at the eastern end (two roundabouts and the through lanes). The through lanes and one of the roundabouts are both below ground level. Not sure if I seen such a design anywhere else.

Ukraine liked this post
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #2738
Ukraine

Likes (Received): 505

This is really amazing! Love the design and uniqueality of the project! Thumbs up for Norway
Old June 27th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #2739
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rv. 7 Brimnes

View from the former ferry terminal at Brimnes. Note the Hardanger Bridge on the left, the pylons are over 200 meters tall.

Hardangerfjord from Brimnes by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old June 28th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #2740
:jax:

Likes (Received): 540

Quote:
When was E6 completed (as in: paved, geometric profile up to acceptable 1+1 standards) all the way north? Was Rv 17 (with its many ferry connections) finished up first?

E6 used to be riddled with these signs some decades back. I wonder when the last disappeared.

In fact I haven't seen one in years. There used to be a good number to Å in Lofoten, but that was in the serpentine days 10-12 years ago. How many are now left, except for non-tourist/scenic roads?
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway