daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #261
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Me neither, and i don't have winter tyres too. There is almost no winter in NL, so i don't need them that much.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #262
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1113 View Post
You can't drive in Scandinava without snow tires during the winter. Most have stubs as well, and many in the north use chains too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
What about spikes?
What's the difference?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #263
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Gabon?
lol, i ment D!

D = Germany?
De = Denmark?

Right? or was it the other way around...

Quote:
What about spikes?
Yes thats the most common here, though you have to pay an extra tax for driving it in cities due to enviromental issues. Spikes creates a lot of dangerous pollution of driving on clear asphalt. And since they salt the roads in the cities and highways the polution can get bad.

On the countryside we also keep chains in the cars during winter, but we usually don't use them on the cars unless we're all stuck in the snow.

Mountain-passes is been cleared nowadays. They only manage to hold a few of the biggest roads open during winter, so many have to be cleared. They start clearing these roads in early April usually, and most are clear till end of may, with exeptions of the smaller roads which isn't open till mid June. Across Haukelifjell (a Oslo-Bergen rout) they reported some 15m snow on the road, while they have 7m snow on the road across Valdres!

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; May 16th, 2008 at 04:37 PM.
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #264
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ŝróndeimr View Post
lol, i ment D!

D = Germany?
De = Denmark?

Right? or was it the other way around...
D is Germany, yes, but Denmark is DK. DE is nothing, I think, it's just the 2-letter code of Germany (like in Internet). In any case, G is Gabon.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #265
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Quote:
D is Germany, yes, but Denmark is DK. DE is nothing, I think, it's just the 2-letter code of Germany (like in Internet). In any case, G is Gabon.
Ah ok, guess i mixed them up! D and NL is what we see alot of around here!
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #266
Incursion

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
I've got 4-season tyres under my car. They probably will not be good enough during a scandinavian winter, but during summer it will satisfie, won't it? Haven't got snow chains either btw...
4-season tires are worthless on ice and packed snow. They're actually getting banned in Quebec - too much accidents (ok, bad driving is also a factor...). and they're not that great on really wet sommer roads either: higher chances of aquaplaning. If you're only planning to visit Norway for a few weeks in sommer time, they'll sure do. But if you're thinking of moving there: buy a good set of winter tires! Although winters are getting warmer and warmer in the south of the country, you'll still get icy road conditions.

But don't drive up to Oslo tomorrow: you'll get stuck in traffic as it's National Day! Gratulere med dagen Norge!!!
Incursion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #267
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
What's the difference?
Don't think there is one.

Winter tires are not allowed in Sweden during the summer months.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #268
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Unless they're spike-less!
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #269
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Quote:
Winter tires are not allowed in Sweden during the summer months.
Same here, Norway is even more strict on that matter, "winter-tire season" end some 3 weeks before Sweden as far as i know (late march). Its ****ed up, since all roads here was packed with snow and ice to late-april!
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #270
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

How many inches of snow do you guys get? We get an average of about 40 in the Midwest. That's quite a lot, but not many people get snow tires.

One year I drove a RWD Cadillac CTS in college in upstate New York (80+ inches) with all season tires, and that was like suicide. My car used to slide from the top of hills to the bottom.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #271
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
The most long distance license plates I've seen driving around Stockholm are Turkey (a truck though) and Portugal.
Yesterday I met one truck with Macedonian plates and one with Portugese plates at E6 between Ċs and Oslo. Never seen that before in Norway.
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #272
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
How many inches of snow do you guys get? We get an average of about 40 in the Midwest. That's quite a lot, but not many people get snow tires.

One year I drove a RWD Cadillac CTS in college in upstate New York (80+ inches) with all season tires, and that was like suicide. My car used to slide from the top of hills to the bottom.
About the same here (if 40 inches is about 1m of snow?). But then, isn't the roads very flat in the midwest? Here i've never really seen a true flat road!

You can easilly be driving with summer tires on snow and ice as long as you don't go uphill or downhill.
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #273
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Hey! Lovely pictures to those people who have posted them. Those really really dark grey pictures (in a group of 4) on page 6 or 7, what time of day were they taken, given it was middle of winter?

I have been to Norway and remember going to Bergen, Voss and Oslo, and a really nice little village called Ulvik. The longest tunnel I have been in is an 8km tunnel b/w Voss and Ulvik.

What is the annual death toll on Norway's roads? Do they count road deaths? How has changed over last 30 years?

In Melbourne, Australia, the death toll was about 1100 in 1971; in the last 10-15 years we get less than 400 every year.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #274
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

I thought someone mentioned about 250 a year. Not bad for such a big country with not the most easiest roads to travel on.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #275
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by essendon bombers View Post
Those really really dark grey pictures (in a group of 4) on page 6 or 7, what time of day were they taken, given it was middle of winter?

What is the annual death toll on Norway's roads? Do they count road deaths? How has changed over last 30 years?
The pics were taken in the middel of the day during autumn. Its would be much lighter if the clouds and rain/sleet weren't there.

Jeroen669 is right, about 250. And the development is the same as in Austrailia, back in the late 70s some 900 died yearly as far as i know.
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #276
Pavlov's Dog

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
You can't drive in Scandinava without snow tires during the winter. Most have stubs as well, and many in the north use chains too.
As far as I know they're called studs not stubs or spikes and the tires are called studded tires.
Pavlov's Dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #277
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
As far as I know they're called studs not stubs or spikes and the tires are called studded tires.
They are call studs because that's what they are
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ŝróndeimr View Post
The pics were taken in the middel of the day during autumn. Its would be much lighter if the clouds and rain/sleet weren't there.

Jeroen669 is right, about 250. And the development is the same as in Austrailia, back in the late 70s some 900 died yearly as far as i know.
Recent and historic statistics can be found here. Note that the English legend is wrong, as they have mixed up "killed" and injured. Although we lag behind our Nordic neighbours, I believe Norway is one of the safest countries in the world to drive in, due to strictly enforced and very low speed limits, a low number of drunk drivers, and it is also takes a bit more effort to get a driver license than in some countries (for instance US). Withouth doubt, however, the number of fatal accidents could have been drastically reduced with more divided highways. The summer months are btw more deadly than the winter months.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #278
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
due to strictly enforced and very low speed limits, a low number of drunk drivers, and it is also takes a bit more effort to get a driver license than in some countries (for instance US).
I think that the first thing doesn't influence those statistics too much. Too low limits can have the opposite effect.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #279
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Speeding doesn't kill, reckless driving does.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #280
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Speeding doesn't kill, reckless driving does.
True, but very often, these two are closely linked. That is not to say that doing 90-100 in an 80-zone in itself is reckless (I do it all the time), but - generally speaking - higher speeds equals more and more serious crashes, particularly on undivided highways.

In terms of accident statistics: It is worth noting that more people die on the road in the summer months than in the winter (even if one considers traffic volumes). Also, by far the most important safety feature was the introduction of seat belt laws, it cut road fatalities by 1/3 more or less over night. In the early 70s, we were hitting 600 dead annualy, now we're down to around 250. 2008, however, has started badly.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway