daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2014, 03:55 AM   #2901
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Not completely true. Denmark have different taxation which tends to favor different attributes. This means that some cars are cheaper in Norway and some cars are cheaper in Denmark. Generally speaking, luxurious, powerful and expensive cars are slightly cheaper in Denmark while more "ordinary" cars tends to be cheaper here in Norway. And we have of course the tax incentives for evs too which makes them especially much cheaper. The taxation on the usage and ownership of cars is general lower in Denmark.
The same goes for alcohol. Expensive wines can be cheaper at Vinmonopolet than in their country of origin, because they are mainly priced based on their level of alcohol.
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #2902
muster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
A lot of activity here now

Not by any means a very densily populated country, Norwegians live more densily than you might realize, as in practice, most of the population live along a rather narrow strip of land along the coast of southern Norway up to Trondheim. Nevertheless, I do not think the discussion is about preserving forest for its own sake, but optimize the quality of living as well as keeping the overall health of the planet reasonably in mind. Quality of living for many Norwegians according to dominating public mindset is to have access to some sort of nature, a vivid urban environment, and minimizing the time used for commuting. For a city of the size of Oslo and above, this is simply not compatible with endless suburbia. After having lived in large cities dominated by suburbs in both the US and Australia, I must say that I share this opinion. However, as Jax interesting post pointed out, there are many ways in which a city like Oslo can be developed. Personally I believe a comprimize must be done in Oslo at some point where some of the forest has to go, taking just a few km of the forest will free huge areas. In my opinion, this should be done in a highly regulated and controlled manner, and in order to minimize travel needs, I would prefer forest fingers into the city to urban fingers into the forest.

Actually, there is no need for any compromizes in Oslo, not in our lifetime at least. Ther is plenty of space within the already built up area to double the population. I'm thinking of areas along ringroad 3, Groruddalen, Ekeberg, fjordcity,Bærum, Asker, Nesodden, Lørenskog etc. Plenty of space
Old July 18th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #2903
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
It is supposedly a fairly rare phenomena, mainly in parts of Northern Europe and even smaller parts of Northern America. Pulmonic ingressive

I have an impression it is more common among women than men, especially younger women, but I have no data to back that up, I could be wrong.

Thanks Jax, did not realise its common to northern Europe, even if fairly rarely found.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:04 PM   #2904
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

E16 Lærdal

A video of E16 through the Lærdal Valley, it basically runs from near the Lærdal Tunnel to the Borlaug Tunnel.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #2905
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rv. 555 Bergen - Sotra

A couple of photos of Riksvei 555 from Bergen to Sotra.

1. The interchange in Bergen where E16/E39 and Rv. 555 meet.

RV555-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

2. Puddefjord Bridge, heading into the Damsgård Tunnel.

RV555-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

3. Søreide.

RV555-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

4. Whoops, got on the left lane for no reason. The right lane goes to Sotra too.

RV555-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

5. Some construction for a new road to Flesland.

RV555-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

6. Loddefjord

RV555-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

7. This time Sotra goes via left lane only.

RV555-12 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

8. Pretty overloaded stretch of road. On the way back there was a large backup.

RV555-14 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

9. The Sotra Bridge (1971)

RV555-17 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

10. End of the main express road.

RV555-18 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist, SRC_100 liked this post
Old July 25th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #2906
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

A lot of the signage could use an upgrade...

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #2907
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

Video of a planned second tube to the Oslofjordtunnel, now on hearing:

The tunnel will ensure a continued increase of traffic on the most dangerous route in the country. As one can tell, Statens Vegvesen put a lot of focus on safety measures in the above video. That doesn't help you much though, when you're stuck 134 meters under the Oslofjord, 3 km (uphill!) from the nearest exist, in an inferno due to some semi with overheating brakes.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!

SRC_100 liked this post
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #2908
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E16 Slomarka - Kongsvinger

A helicopter tour of the new four-lane E16 from Slomarka to Kongsvinger in eastern Norway. The last part near Kongsvinger is already paved and marked.

Old August 4th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #2909
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Contracts were signed today for a 3.250 meter long undersea tunnel, part of Bjarkøyforbindelsen in Troms County. The island of Bjarkøy has 450 inhabitants.

Old August 5th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #2910
Bjørne

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Contracts were signed today for a 3.250 meter long undersea tunnel, part of Bjarkøyforbindelsen in Troms County. The island of Bjarkøy has 450 inhabitants.

I'm so freakin tired of these ridiculous political decisions. The island has 450 inhabitants (which will most likely drop to 200 within a year), and the project will cost 829 million kroners. That's 2 (4) million per inhabitant. The locals probably don't even want the tunnel.

[All of these allegations are based on earlier island connection projects.]

:jax: liked this post
Bjørne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #2911
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjørne View Post
I'm so freakin tired of these ridiculous political decisions. The island has 450 inhabitants (which will most likely drop to 200 within a year), and the project will cost 829 million kroners. That's 2 (4) million per inhabitant. The locals probably don't even want the tunnel.

[All of these allegations are based on earlier island connection projects.]
Why are such rapid populational decline expected? Some industry closing down?
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #2912
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjørne View Post
The locals probably don't even want the tunnel.
There was a referendum in 2002 where 90% of the voters voted in favor of the project.

I'm not sure if it is tolled, I believe it's funded by the county.
Old August 5th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #2913
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Why are such rapid populational decline expected? Some industry closing down?
Not at all. It's simply speculation from Bjørne.

However, studies have showed that these projects rarely stops the population decline.

What beats me with this project is the fact that this is a project connecting Bjarkøy and Sandøy with Grytøy. While Grytøy still isn't connected with the main land. So to reach the main land, they still have to take a ferry from Grytøy. I would think it would have been better to build a connection between the main land and Grytøy first. That would benefit more people. And most likely lead to increased population. The same study shows that connections in vicinity of cities tends to give increased population. Grytøy is just outside Harstad. The third largest city in Northern Norway.
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #2914
Suburbanist
on the road

Small villages far away from larger places without a strong tourist trade or some special activity suffer from structural decline that no transportation link can address on itself.
Old August 5th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #2915
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Usually young adults move out for studies and then don't return if there is no employment they are looking for at that location. I agree a fixed link won't change that, but it does help to keep travel times reasonable and connections reliable - in all weather conditions. For some locations it makes the difference to being able to do a short trip into the nearest larger town or city what would have otherwise taken too much time to do frequently.

This case is not alone. There are many (dozens) of bridges and tunnels that link to islands with a population of under 1,000 people.
Old August 5th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #2916
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 265

The alternative to Bjarkøyforbindelsen would be a new ferry quay, with an estimated cost of 100-150 million NOK.

The connection was also precondition for Bjarkøy kommune to merge with Harstad, according to this article.
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #2917
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Small villages far away from larger places without a strong tourist trade or some special activity suffer from structural decline that no transportation link can address on itself.
Everyone knows this, but politicians are often reluctant to admit it publicly.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #2918
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Everyone knows this, but politicians are often reluctant to admit it publicly.
I think transportation projects to islands could be built. It is important to have access to different areas. But saying it will increase population or stop decline is often a misleading argument.

There are exceptions: if the new transportation link put a small struggling city/town within easy reach of a more dynamic center. So those projects around Bergen probably will help the communities there. The Øresünd bridge helped Malmo to turn around a lot (a bigger scale of the phenomenon). High-speed rail links in Spain have brought some vitality to once-withering places.

-------

Does anyone have current figures from traffic on E6 and Rv-17 over different sectors?
Old August 7th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #2919
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

A new tunnel on RV70 between Sunndalsøra and Oppdøl will open the 15:th of August. It's currently the most landslide exposed piece of road in mid-Norway. It will replace shorter existing tunnels on this strech.

Graphics: Statens Vegvesen

Suburbanist, dexter26 liked this post
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #2920
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Askøy Bridge

The Askøy Bridge is a fairly large suspension bridge (main span 850 meters) near Bergen. It connects the island of Askøy (24.000 inhabitants) with the rest of Bergen metropolitan area. It is the only fixed link to Askøy. The bridge carries about 18.000 vehicles per day. It opened in 1992 and is toll-free since 2006.

There is a small parking area on the south side of the bridge (southbound), but the view is obstructed by trees and stuff.

Askoy Bridge-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Askoy Bridge-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Askoy Bridge-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Askoy Bridge-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

devo, Filand, Hansadyret liked this post

Tags
norway