daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #2921
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Return journey Mo-i-Rana to England via Oslo

After delivery in Mo...

I am heading back to England taking the route through Norway:

I got my granddad with me. I picked him up in Sneek, Netherlands on the way up.

Service area at Dombass. Junction with E6 and E136.

Swedish border heading towards Gothenburg:

Autoputevi kao hobi, SRC_100 liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #2922
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Tofterøy Bridge

Check the video in this article, a dancing suspension bridge in Hordaland during ex-hurricane Bertha.

http://www.nrk.no/hordaland/her-dans...ret-1.11873672
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #2923
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Check the video in this article, a dancing suspension bridge in Hordaland during ex-hurricane Bertha.

Looks like old Tacoma Narrows
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:49 AM   #2924
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Apparently these resonances occur from time to time on this bridge with strong crosswinds. It has been around since the early 70s, so there must be some flexibility in the construction. Personally I would not walk on it, let alone drive on when it is in this mood, though....

riiga, webeagle12 liked this post
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #2925
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

This is how the suspension bridge decks are planned to behave: being flexbile to allow oscillations in the up-down direction, rigid crosswise and resistant to torsion. Perhaps the degree of the oscillation exceeds the planning targets.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #2926
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Looks like old Tacoma Narrows
Not exactly. The Tacoma Narrows old bridge collapsed because of the uncontrolled oscillation in the torsion. The Norwegian bridge moves up and down but no torsion is visible.

A suspension bridge is somewhat a similar structure to a wing of an aircraft. The deck must be as lightweight as possible to allow a long span. The construction is rather elastic to make it possible to deform without crashing. The key difference is that the wing is planned to create upforce, but the upforce might kill a bridge. That is why virtually all suspension brigdes are subject to aerodynamical tests in a wind tunnel during the planning phase.
Old August 12th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #2927
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Sognefjord Crossing

Norway’s plans for an innovative 4.1km submerged floating tunnel (SFT) have been given a boost by the positive conclusions of two risk reports by Ramboll.

According to estimates from Ramboll, the probability of a collision that will cause the bridge to collapse is so low that it will not happen for the next 10,000 years.
full report: http://www.theconstructionindex.co.u...loating-tunnel
Old August 12th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #2928
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

I still would not want to be driving inside this tunnel when the QE2 crashes into it
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #2929
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

If they fear a crash of big ships, it could be possible to close the tunnel when they pass. Waiting and travel times for road traffic would certainly still be far less than ferries. Or they could have someone looking after the floating tunnel 24/7, ready to close it in case of danger.

(I don't know how many big ships would apss over the tunnel...)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #2930
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

A tunnel of that dimension would certainly be looked after 24/7 wirh emergency teams standing ready at either end.

Don't be mistaken, there are many big cruisers in the Sognefjord during summer, let alone the ferryboats, not sure about freight ships?
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #2931
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are three options for a floating tunnel;

* a tunnel with pontoons at the water surface
* a tunnel with ballast tanks well below the surface
* a tunnel anchored to the sea bed like an oil rig

Only the first option has a possibility of ships striking it, the other two can only be struck with a submarine.
Old August 13th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #2932
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rv. 13 Hardanger Bridge

A video of the Hardanger Bridge, complete with two underground roundabouts.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Nexis, verreme, Jeroen669 liked this post
Old August 15th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #2933
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rv. 70 Oppdølstrand Tunnel

The Oppdølstrand Tunnel in Møre og Romsdal opened to traffic today. It is a 7.5 kilometer long tunnel that bypasses a rockslide-prone stretch of coastal riksvei 70. Construction took 4 years.

Old August 17th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #2934
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E16 Filefjell

Some photos of E16 at and east of Filefjell. The first couple of photos are pretty much at the summit, the last couple of photos are around Vangsmjøse Lake. It's a pretty lonely area, I only saw a few other cars.

E16 Filefjell-1 por Chriszwolle, en Flickr

E16 Filefjell-2 por Chriszwolle, en Flickr

E16 Filefjell-3 por Chriszwolle, en Flickr

E16 Filefjell-4 por Chriszwolle, en Flickr

E16 Filefjell-5 por Chriszwolle, en Flickr

E16 Filefjell-6 por Chriszwolle, en Flickr

E16 Filefjell-7 por Chriszwolle, en Flickr
Old August 19th, 2014, 02:00 AM   #2935
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

General questions to Norwegian residents, concerning travels to Nordkapp:

- How long would a trip by car from, say, Oslo, take to Hammerfest/Nordkapp? Including overnight rests, not "driving through".
Routes 1) Norway only, 2) via Sweden where advantageous
- What do you do if your car breaks down or you have some accident in an empty area up in the North?
- How long would it take by train (via Sweden I guess)?
- General recommendations for those planning to travel to Nordkapp?
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 03:56 AM   #2936
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
General questions to Norwegian residents, concerning travels to Nordkapp:

- How long would a trip by car from, say, Oslo, take to Hammerfest/Nordkapp? Including overnight rests, not "driving through".
Routes 1) Norway only, 2) via Sweden where advantageous
- What do you do if your car breaks down or you have some accident in an empty area up in the North?
- How long would it take by train (via Sweden I guess)?
- General recommendations for those planning to travel to Nordkapp?
Oslo - Nordkapp through Norway is 29 hours of driving non stop. Read you will need two overnight rests if driving 10 hours a day. However, I would advice three overnight rests. Driving around 7 hours a day.

Oslo - Nordkapp through Sweden and Finland is 25 hours. Needing two overnight stays driving around 8 hours a day.

I would suggest asking the insurance company of the car you're driving for a number to call in case of assistance. I guess you're renting a car at the airport. And hence it will be a Norwegian insurance company. All major insurance companies in Norway got deals with car assistance companies that operate all over the country. Most likely either Falck Redning (Falken) or Viking Redningstjeneste.

There are no trains north of Narvik (Norway) and Kolari (Finland). It's still a 12 hour drive from Narvik, and a 8 hour drive from Kolari to Nordkapp.
Train Oslo - Narvik will take you at least 26 hours. Couldn't find time tables for Oslo - Kolari. But Oslo - Happaranda is at least 23 hours. And then I would guess you at least have 4-5 hours left before you're in Kolari.

To be honest, If Nordkapp is your main goal for the trip, it would be much cheaper to buy a plane ticket from Oslo to Alta and rent a car there. Plane tickets to Alta tour-retour may be bought for less than 2000 NOK. Even a very efficient car would probably use 1000 NOK of fuel each way.

Corvinus liked this post
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #2937
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

There are regular flights to Honningsväg and HAmmerfest as well, aren't they?

A trip I'd like to do someday is to drive in 7 days the whole distnace, driving through some sectors of Rv7 and all the ferries till Bodo before heading north on E6. But that is a trip that requires some 15 days at least (considering I live in Netherlands).

Distances in Scandinavia can be easily overlooked.
Old August 19th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #2938
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjello0 View Post

There are no trains north of Narvik (Norway) and Kolari (Finland). It's still a 12 hour drive from Narvik, and a 8 hour drive from Kolari to Nordkapp.
Train Oslo - Narvik will take you at least 26 hours. Couldn't find time tables for Oslo - Kolari. But Oslo - Happaranda is at least 23 hours. And then I would guess you at least have 4-5 hours left before you're in Kolari.

To be honest, If Nordkapp is your main goal for the trip, it would be much cheaper to buy a plane ticket from Oslo to Alta and rent a car there. Plane tickets to Alta tour-retour may be bought for less than 2000 NOK. Even a very efficient car would probably use 1000 NOK of fuel each way.
I would not take the train Tornio-Kolari as an attractive option. The leg is for night trains Helsinki-Kolari, having the main focus on the winter season. In the summertime, there are three weekly departures. In addition, the timetables between Finland and Sweden are not coordinated at all. The distance Haparanda/Tornio-Kolari is 180 km only, thus not taking 4-5 hours.

But there is another option: A bus. The year-around route Oulu-Rovaniemi-Ivalo-Karasjok runs up to Nordkapp from early June to late August. Leaving Tornio at 0930 and changing the bus in Rovaniemi, the arrival time at Nordkapp is 2220 local time. The bus leaves back for Oulu at 0100. Thus, there are 2+ hours to visit the place and see the midnight sun.

In my opinion, Nordkapp is an overrated and expensive place full of stressed tourists. I suggest reserving more time to see various places in the north Norway, Finland and Sweden. Norway is worth two trips: one to the north, and another on to the south and west. Too much overhead from combining these two into one. Just take a flight to a decent airport (Alta, Ivalo, Rovaniemi) and rent a car there. It might be advisable to fly to Finland, as the car rental is more expensive in Norway.

Corvinus liked this post
Old August 19th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #2939
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Driving 10 hours per day in Norway is more demanding than in Sweden or down south. The roads are not straight, there few straight stretches longer than a few hundred meters, so you can't really set your mind to zero and just cruise on. The great scenery also wants to make you stop often, and these stops really kill your average daily distance.

I drove from near Voss to near Torsby in June. That is 550 kilometers. I stopped perhaps 7 or 8 times for photos, fuel and a short grocery stop in Fagernes. It took me 11.5 hours to cover that distance, which was all via E-road and most of it was not very rugged terrain once I got past Filefjell, where I could drive the speed limit most of the time. I was really beat after that drive, the only time I felt that way on my 4.700 km in 7 days.
Old August 19th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #2940
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Something that might be interesting driving north of Mo i Rana on E6 would be to observe the trees get shorter and shorter until there are only shrubs as the driver enters the zone were treeline < 100m

Tags
norway