daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #2941
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Something that might be interesting driving north of Mo i Rana on E6 would be to observe the trees get shorter and shorter until there are only shrubs as the driver enters the zone were treeline < 100m
The E6 is about the least interesting road in Norway, except the Skibotn-Alta-Lakselv leg at the Arctic Ocean. I recommend stepping out of this boring backbone road as often as your schedule and itinerary allow.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #2942
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Lake Tyin

A short little detour along this gem; Lake Tyin on the south side of Jotunheimen National Park. It's just about 10 kilometers off E16, just past Filefjell, and well worth the detour.

Interesting how much snow there is once you reach the lake.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #2943
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A short little detour along this gem; Lake Tyin on the south side of Jotunheimen National Park. It's just about 10 kilometers off E16, just past Filefjell, and well worth the detour.

Interesting how much snow there is once you reach the lake.
I would recommend taking a longer detour: Continue rv53 to Fodnes. The descent to Øvre Årdal is dramatic. The private road from ØÅ over the mountains to Turtagrø on rv55 is worth taking, too.
Old August 20th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #2944
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Crazy traffic jam on Rv63 south of Andalsnes

Old August 20th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #2945
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
Apparently these resonances occur from time to time on this bridge with strong crosswinds. It has been around since the early 70s, so there must be some flexibility in the construction. Personally I would not walk on it, let alone drive on when it is in this mood, though....
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #2946
:jax:

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The E6 is about the least interesting road in Norway, except the Skibotn-Alta-Lakselv leg at the Arctic Ocean. I recommend stepping out of this boring backbone road as often as your schedule and itinerary allow.
Seriously? I find it very varied. The south end is getting more practical but also less charming, undulating motorways, and it is also a bit longwinded through Helgeland (it is nice enough, but there is too much of it). Ideally the distance from Steinkjer to Mosjøen should be 40-50 km or so, otherwise it is a great snapshot of Norway. I am a fan of E6. That said, I would recommend detours, especially if you traverse it often.

And I agree with Suburbanist that the Salt Mountain crossing is great travelling.
:jax: está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 10:43 AM   #2947
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
Seriously? I find it very varied. The south end is getting more practical but also less charming, undulating motorways, and it is also a bit longwinded through Helgeland (it is nice enough, but there is too much of it). Ideally the distance from Steinkjer to Mosjøen should be 40-50 km or so, otherwise it is a great snapshot of Norway. I am a fan of E6. That said, I would recommend detours, especially if you traverse it often.

And I agree with Suburbanist that the Salt Mountain crossing is great travelling.

Seriously, yes. The highlights lie elsewhere.
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:34 AM   #2948

There are scenic detours, but they come at a cost. Not only are they longer, they are much slower and tiring. One is good for variety, two may already be pushing it.

Completely different routes are either more monotonous or very much slower and expensive. E6 to me is the good compromise. Now admittedly, since the advent of cheap airfares, I have rarely taken the route (and haven't taken the train to Bodø for twenty years), and not beyond about Narvik (only boat or plane). People taking it multiple times a year might get bored. I don't. I can't justify the time and cost relative to air, but I am not bored and I have taken it about twenty times in my life time. The reason is the ever-changing landscape. The highlights are the Salt mountain region and north of Fauske, the low point north of Trondheim to south of the Salt (which as said isn't bad, just too long).
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:52 AM   #2949
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Crazy traffic jam on Rv63 south of Andalsnes
Not an uncommon situation at Trollstigen. Travel agencies tend to send oversize buses there. The earlier length restriction of 12.4 metres was increased recently to 13.1 metres after widening the hairpins. Entering the road with a 15-metre tourist bus will lead to troubles. In addition, all drivers seem not to know how to take hairpins.

Another source for troubles are those truck drivers selecting the shortest route using their navigators. Especially the drivers from East Europe tend to ignore all traffic rules and signs. Entering Trollstigen with a 22-meter truck is madness.
Old August 21st, 2014, 02:38 PM   #2950

It could be solved by a physical barrier, a "doorway" far further down the road on flat land on both sides, a bend a 15+ meter vehicle couldn't pass, but cause no challenge for a vehicle 13.1 meters or shorter.
Old August 21st, 2014, 02:50 PM   #2951
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
It could be solved by a physical barrier, a "doorway" far further down the road on flat land on both sides, a bend a 15+ meter vehicle couldn't pass, but cause no challenge for a vehicle 13.1 meters or shorter.
Only mini-buses up to 11.5m should be allowed there, not larger buses.
Old August 21st, 2014, 03:19 PM   #2952
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Perhaps a barrier with two optical gates 13,1 m apart would be easier and cheaper.
Old August 21st, 2014, 07:49 PM   #2953
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Why not traffic lights with alternate traffic?

Quote:
Another source for troubles are those truck drivers selecting the shortest route using their navigators. Especially the drivers from East Europe tend to ignore all traffic rules and signs. Entering Trollstigen with a 22-meter truck is madness.
Mad truck drivers are too frequent today...(one that remained blocked in a dead-end mountain road and a Romanian who drove 16 hours no-stop, just to cite two examples of today from my canton...another example was an East European driver that last winter decided to open the barrier blocking access to the San Bernardino pass to avoid the ban on hazardous materials in the tunnel-something mad like trying to travel over the Trollstigen in winter with a semi-trailer truck).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:57 PM   #2954
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Why not traffic lights with alternate traffic?
Big trucks are in trouble, with or without traffic in opposite direction.

The width of the road is not a problem, in the end the traffic volume is not too high and there are passing places. The problem is with the hairpin turns.

Suburbanist liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 11:08 AM   #2955
MattiG

Quote:
There are scenic detours, but they come at a cost. Not only are they longer, they are much slower and tiring.
I think most tourists visiting Norway want to see the scenic roads, not to hog kilometers. With the exceptions listed earlier, E6 as a trunk road is not a scenic road compared to what is available elsewhere.

(There are exceptions to the basic rule of thumb: The tourist masses making their pilgrimage to Nordkapp seem not to be interested in anything else. E6 is good for them, as well as trunk roads in Sweden and Finland.)
Old August 22nd, 2014, 12:38 PM   #2956
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Big trucks are in trouble, with or without traffic in opposite direction.

The width of the road is not a problem, in the end the traffic volume is not too high and there are passing places. The problem is with the hairpin turns.
Yes. Trollstigen is not for long vehicles. Simple is that.

Heico-M liked this post
Old August 23rd, 2014, 04:50 AM   #2957
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
I think most tourists visiting Norway want to see the scenic roads, not to hog kilometers. With the exceptions listed earlier, E6 as a trunk road is not a scenic road compared to what is available elsewhere.

(There are exceptions to the basic rule of thumb: The tourist masses making their pilgrimage to Nordkapp seem not to be interested in anything else. E6 is good for them, as well as trunk roads in Sweden and Finland.)
Saying that the Norwegian E6 is "hog kilometers" is IMHO a gross exaggeration. Comparing E6 to Northern trunk roads in Sweden and Finland is a downright offence ;-) the E6 has its up and downs, after all its Norwegian length is more than 2 628 km, but overall the road goes through almost all types of landscape the country has to offer, except outer coastal. Of course there are exciting detours for a tourist, but in Northern Norway at least, there are not many alternatives, only one in Nordland in fact. So, if you ever indend to drive to Northern Norway (or in Norway at all), I recommend taking the E6 northbound, and a coastal route southbound.

My personal low for E6 in Norway is perhaps the stretch by Mjøsa and Namdalen. Both are actually fairly pittoresce, but they are just a bit too monotone. My favourite stretches are Drivdalen and inner Troms, but I have not been in Finnmark for ages.

Sorry in advance for all the pictures, not quite ordered from south to north....

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; August 26th, 2014 at 02:43 AM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #2958
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Ring 3, Oslo

A video of Ring 3 around Oslo. I was very lucky with the light traffic.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #2959
Bjørne

Likes (Received): 49

The new 7.7 km long stretch of E18 between Momarken and Melleby in Østfold is now finished, and opens September 8:
http://www.tu.no/vareveger/incoming/...-klar-til-bruk
Bjørne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 02:54 PM   #2960
Filand
<3ne W<3rld

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjørne View Post
The new 7.7 km long stretch of E18 between Momarken and Melleby in Østfold is now finished, and opens September 8:
http://www.tu.no/vareveger/incoming/...-klar-til-bruk
Does anyone know if this is a four or two lane road?
Filand no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway