daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2014, 12:19 PM   #2981
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Some pictures from the recently opened section of E18 Momarken-Melleby:

Source: http://www.smaalenene.no/bildeserier/article7610177.ece

Luki_SL, SRC_100 liked this post
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #2982
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post

I´m not surprised if that three-lane tunnel (only some 150 meters long, with very little rock cover on top) will be converted to a rock cut with four lanes, or an concrete-culvert within not too many years ;-) Or maybe the people planning this section has been thinking that four lanes may be throttled though this single bore sometime in the future, as the tunnel cross-section ("kjørekassa") is 17,5 meters wide, just as the four-lane part of the road. Don´t really think so tho. Tunnels tend to be a little bit wider than roads in the open, and there will not be much left in the sealing on the sides of a tall truck. I know the planners wanted to build two bores originally, but Vegdirektoratet refused them.

Also the governing Progress party has previously been skeptical og building the E18 section between Ørje and the swedish border as a two-lane road with passing lanes and a central-barrier. This section is sceduled to commence later this year or early next year. I don´t think they´ll stop it tho, and I´m not sure weather it´s the right thing to stop it either.

devo liked this post
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #2983
Hansadyret

Likes (Received): 622

Video about the contruction of the stretch Sokna-Ørgenvika that opened in august. It cuts 21km of rv.7 between Oslo-Geilo-Bergen

Hansadyret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #2984
Hansadyret

Vegvesenet have started planning of a new E16 between Arna and Vågsbotn. This will also be the first project in the "ringroad east" around Bergen city center.
The goal is for construction to start 2016/17 and the road will be built with 4 lanes.

These are the alternatives:

Knowing Bergen we will probably end up going for the long tunnel to reduce polution and taking land between the mountains.

Projct site: http://www.vegvesen.no/Europaveg/e16arnavagsbotn/Fakta
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #2985
Hansadyret

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
All of it will be motorway. Vestfold is soon completed (2017).

Then (almost) all of the non-motortrafikkvei-stretches will be upgraded.
(Arendal-Tvedestrand & Dørdal-Rugtvedt. The section between Tvedestrand and Risør is pretty decent.)
Last but not least they will rebuild the recently built 2+1 road over Brokelandsheia.

Also, all of E 39 to from Kristiansand to Stavanger will be motorway in the future.

This can, according to the current government, happen in the next 10 to 15 years. We'll see about that. At least this government seems to have some basic knowledge about how infrastructure works, and how one goes about improving it.

Quote:
E18 i Aust-Agder blir trolig bygget langt tidligere enn planlagt.

- Regjeringen går inn for en økning på 80 millioner kroner i år til prosjektering og andre forberedende arbeider i prosjektet E18 Tvedestrand – Arendal. Dette gir raskere framdrift i prosjekteringen enn tidligere antatt og kan dermed legge til rette for at selve utbyggingen skjer raskere og mer sammenhengende over lengre strekninger, sier samferdselsminister Ketil Solvik-Olsen, i en pressemelding.
http://www.at.no/anlegg/item/6319-vi...vaert-pabegynt

devo liked this post
Old October 6th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #2986
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
I´m not surprised if that three-lane tunnel (only some 150 meters long, with very little rock cover on top) will be converted to a rock cut with four lanes, or an concrete-culvert within not too many years ;-) Or maybe the people planning this section has been thinking that four lanes may be throttled though this single bore sometime in the future, as the tunnel cross-section ("kjørekassa") is 17,5 meters wide, just as the four-lane part of the road. Don´t really think so tho. Tunnels tend to be a little bit wider than roads in the open, and there will not be much left in the sealing on the sides of a tall truck. I know the planners wanted to build two bores originally, but Vegdirektoratet refused them.

Also the governing Progress party has previously been skeptical og building the E18 section between Ørje and the swedish border as a two-lane road with passing lanes and a central-barrier. This section is sceduled to commence later this year or early next year. I don´t think they´ll stop it tho, and I´m not sure weather it´s the right thing to stop it either.
I believe the reason for refusal was that the road would've had a too high standard. In this case, future-proofing. Such things are not allowed! In Vegdirektoratet's eyes, a road with too high standard is just as illigeal as a road with a too low standard. But the latter actually gets approved doesens of times.

If the Progress Party dream comes through (a motorway E 18 all the way to Sweden) this tunnel will be left as the "Portal of Stupidity" with only three lanes. And probably blown away. There are bigger rock cuts on E 18 between Grimstad and Kristiansand. I do hope the dream comes through though, the current proposed solution through Ørje is very intermediate, and looks very much like the current situation through Larvik that was built in the mid 70's. As we all know, that two lane "motorway" is now beeing rebuilt to proper motorway standard, and so will eventually E 18 through Ørje too. At a ridiculous cost per meter, because the traffic goes straight through the construction site.

I hope we can stop wasting money on building half-hearted solutions. Building roads are expensive enough as it is.

Agent 006 liked this post
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 02:39 AM   #2987
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansadyret View Post
Vegvesenet have started planning of a new E16 between Arna and Vågsbotn. This will also be the first project in the "ringroad east" around Bergen city center.
The goal is for construction to start 2016/17 and the road will be built with 4 lanes.
I was expecting a tunnel more like parallel to the railway, straight between Arna and the centre, reducing the distance by some 18 km.

And with a tunnel like that, how much traffic would remain between Arna and Vågsbotn?
Old October 7th, 2014, 08:16 AM   #2988
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
I was expecting a tunnel more like parallel to the railway, straight between Arna and the centre, reducing the distance by some 18 km.

And with a tunnel like that, how much traffic would remain between Arna and Vågsbotn?
They want to protect the railway from competition.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #2989
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

They don't want a new tunnel to land in downtown Bergen due to the high pollution there, more likely a new tunnel will meet E39 at the south end of the Bergen valley.
Old October 7th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #2990
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I too thought they were going to gun that tunnel straight into Bergen, reducing driving distance.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #2991
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rv. 7 Hardangervidda

Uh, oh first bit of slippery roads and boom! What are the chances of this being an unprepared foreign truck? I believe most Norwegian trucks have two rear axles.
Old October 7th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #2992
Hansadyret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I too thought they were going to gun that tunnel straight into Bergen, reducing driving distance.
That was the original plan but because of increased traffic and local pollution problems they have gone away from that.

The "arnatunnel" will now be a part of ringroad east and start from south of Minde:

Quote:
Slik blir Ringvei Øst

Byrådet har talt: Det blir ringvei fra Vågsbotn til Fjøsanger.
http://www.bt.no/nyheter/lokalt/Slik...t-2955927.html
Old October 7th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #2993
Hansadyret

Looks like "Sotrasambandet" Could be the next OPS project in Norway:

Quote:
Sotrasambandet skal fremskyndes

Den nye Sotrabrua kan begynne å planlegges allerede neste år, og skal bygges av private.
Det kommer frem i statsbudsjettet neste år, får BT bekreftet.

RV555 Sotrasambandet får planleggingsmidler i statsbudsjettet for 2015. Regjeringen legger opp til at prosjektet skal planlegges som et OPS-prosjekt, det vil si et offentlig-privat samarbeid.
http://www.bt.no/nyheter/lokalt/Sotr...s-3214154.html
Old October 7th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #2994
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I drove across that bridge in June. It was congested even outside rush hour. It carries more than 26,000 vehicles per day, which is very high for a two-lane road.
Old October 7th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #2995
Gsus

Quote:
I drove across that bridge in June. It was congested even outside rush hour. It carries more than 26,000 vehicles per day, which is very high for a two-lane road.
The new bridge is probably also gonna be congested during peak-hours from day one, as the politicians has decided that one lane in each direction is gonna be bus lanes. Which means that instead of having a motorway on the new bridge, there will be a new bridge costing 4 billion NOK which will have the capacity of a two-lane limited access road. Or actually less than a road of that kind without a median, where opposite lane can be used to pass. Pretty insane to use 4 billion to create a new chaos IMO!
Old October 7th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #2996
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Isn't it viable to keep the old bridge as a bus bridge?

On the other hand it is probably much cheaper to build a four-lane bridge with mixed traffic. Traffic volumes will probably never be so high that buses lose time due to congestion.
Old October 8th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #2997
Gsus

Quote:
Isn't it viable to keep the old bridge as a bus bridge?
That has been my though the whole way also. They have even built bus-lanes up to the old bridge, which was finished as late as this year! Statens vegvesen also does not want bus lanes, but professional knowledge stand no chance against politicians when they have decided their minds.

But one questian always gets to me when I hear local politicians decides what lanes will be used for what on national roads. Who gave municipally, and county politicians power over the NATIONAL roads?

In Oslo, "samferdselsbyråden" has gotten her wish on a study to investigate if one of the two car-lanes in each direction on E18 west of Oslo can be turned into reserved lanes for electrical cars, as they are currently filling up the bus lanes (electrical vehicley are currently allowed to use bus lanes in Norway). Gonna be a complete chaos, if 80 000 gazoline and diesel vehicles are gonna be pushed into one lane i each direction

Bergen-politicians is btw also demanding bus-lanes in the future Nyborg-tunnel north of Bergen too ;-)

Quote:
On the other hand it is probably much cheaper to build a four-lane bridge with mixed traffic. Traffic volumes will probably never be so high that buses lose time due to congestion.
Excactly! Please tell the local politicians that too ;-)

Agent 006, devo liked this post
Old October 8th, 2014, 12:43 AM   #2998
pedrofil

Likes (Received): 205

Gsus, do you have a link where the local politicians/the city council decided that two of the lanes would be bus/taxi-lanes? And I would assume the lanes would be open for 2+ cars as well?

Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't read about it anywhere yet
pedrofil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #2999
Gsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrofil View Post
Gsus, do you have a link where the local politicians/the city council decided that two of the lanes would be bus/taxi-lanes? And I would assume the lanes would be open for 2+ cars as well?

Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't read about it anywhere yet
I'm in a mobile device right now, so links is a bit hard. But try google "kollektivfelt sotrasambandet", and I guess you'll find something
Old October 8th, 2014, 11:55 AM   #3000
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The 2015 transportation budget:

Veg = road, Jernbane = Railroads

The 2015 transportation budget is 6.7 billion (€ 820 million) higher than in 2014.

The total transportation budget (road, rail, coast, airports) is 54.6 billion NOK / € 6.7 billion, which is quite high compared to much more populous Netherlands (€ 6.2 billion for road, rail & water).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Filand, Hansadyret, Blackraven liked this post

Tags
norway