daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 15th, 2014, 03:36 AM   #3121
Agent 006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oslo/Trondheim
Posts: 152
Likes (Received): 180

New design-speed in Norway?

Norwegian road-authorities have used technical parameters allowing a teoretical speed-limit of 120 km/h when they're designing motorways outside built-up areas. But since they operates with safe-margins (15 km/h if a 100 km/h speed-limit), a speed-limit of more then 100 km/h is not desireable. 110 km/h on such roads, which now have been implemented, reduces some of this margin.

According to this article, the authorities will design new motorways for a 110 km/h speed-limit. This will probably mean a new design-speed of 125-130 km/t, or am I completely wrong?

http://www.nationen.no/samferdsel/ny...e-fartsgrense/

Last edited by Agent 006; December 15th, 2014 at 04:42 AM.
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #3122
Gsus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 148
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 006 View Post
New design-speed in Norway?

Norwegian road-authorities have used technical parameters allowing a teoretical speed-limit of 120 km/h when they're designing motorways outside built-up areas. But since they operates with safe-margins (15 km/h if a 100 km/h speed-limit), a speed-limit of more then 100 km/h is not desireable. 110 km/h on such roads, which now have been implemented, reduces some of this margin.

According to this article, the authorities will design new motorways for a 110 km/h speed-limit. This will probably mean a new design-speed of 125-130 km/t, or am I completely wrong?

http://www.nationen.no/samferdsel/ny...e-fartsgrense/
The design-speed will probably be 125-130 km/h yes.

When it comes to what the design-speed has been used, it has depended on what the tabels and formulas in (what is today) Hb V120 says, and what it said earlier. When designing for 100 km/h the last years, minimum horizontal curve has been 700 meter. That is based on a safety margin, which has given a coefficient for the side-friction. Together with the grade of dozing, and speed put in an equation, the minumum curve can be calculated. But this formula, and tabels has varied over the years. Before 2008, 450 meters was allowed for 100 km/h on S8-roads (or what it was called then). Theres actually a motorway under construction in Norway today thats being built with a 450 meter curve, as the reguleringsplan was approved before 2008.
__________________

Agent 006, Filand liked this post
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #3123
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,559
Likes (Received): 19352

It is not uncommon for motorways to have a higher speed limit than the design speed. The design of a motorway incorporates a considerable margin of error. For example many Autobahns in Germany have no speed limit at all while they are not superiorly designed compared to other countries where motorways have a 120 or 130 km/h speed limit. French autoroutes or Polish autostrada arguably lend themselves more for very high speeds than most German Autobahns.
__________________

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Agent 006, Filand liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #3124
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,559
Likes (Received): 19352

E136 Vågstrand Tunnel

The Vågstrand Tunnel opened to traffic today. It is a 3.7 kilometer long single tube tunnel.



http://www.nrk.no/mr/_-dette-har-vi-...nge-1.12108907
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #3125
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,559
Likes (Received): 19352

E6 Oslo

A video of the E6 approaching Oslo from the south, from near Ski into the city. Parts of E6 in the suburbs are quite nicely designed as a parkway. The speed limit is low though, mostly 80-90 km/h.

__________________

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

pedrofil liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 09:13 PM   #3126
suburbicide
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 423
Likes (Received): 247

Stats about Norwegian car sales 2014 (vans/trucks not included):

144 202 cars sold

48.8 % were diesel powered
12.5% electric
8.0 % hybrids

34 % had four-wheel drive
63.5% had automtatic transmission (electric vehicles excluded)


Top selling models:

1. Volkswagen Golf
2. Toyota Auris
3. Nissan Leaf
4. Skoda Octavia
5. Tesla Model S
6. Toyota Yaris
7. Mazda CX-5
8. Volkswagen up!
9. Toyota Rav4
10. Volvo V40
11. Volvo V70
12. Mitsubishi Outlander
13. Nissan Qashqai
14. Volkswagen Passat
15. Volvo XC60
16. Volkswagen Tiguan
17. Audi A3
18. Suzuki SX4
19. Ford Focus
20. Peugeot 308

Source: http://www.ofvas.no
__________________

Warsaw spectator liked this post
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 09:35 PM   #3127
Blackraven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Makati (in the Philippines)
Posts: 2,294
Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post
Stats about Norwegian car sales 2014 (vans/trucks not included):

144 202 cars sold

48.8 % were diesel powered
12.5% electric
8.0 % hybrids

34 % had four-wheel drive
63.5% had automtatic transmission (electric vehicles excluded)


Top selling models:

1. Volkswagen Golf
2. Toyota Auris
3. Nissan Leaf
4. Skoda Octavia
5. Tesla Model S
6. Toyota Yaris
7. Mazda CX-5
8. Volkswagen up!
9. Toyota Rav4
10. Volvo V40
11. Volvo V70
12. Mitsubishi Outlander
13. Nissan Qashqai
14. Volkswagen Passat
15. Volvo XC60
16. Volkswagen Tiguan
17. Audi A3
18. Suzuki SX4
19. Ford Focus
20. Peugeot 308

Source: http://www.ofvas.no
Interesting data

Although I kinda assumed that Volvo would've taken the #1 spot (especially since it is the only local/regional automaker in the Scandinavian/Nordic region)
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:03 PM   #3128
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,525
Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Interesting data

Although I kinda assumed that Volvo would've taken the #1 spot (especially since it is the only local/regional automaker in the Scandinavian/Nordic region)
What about SAAB?
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:08 PM   #3129
Blackraven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Makati (in the Philippines)
Posts: 2,294
Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What about SAAB?
We haven't heard from Saab since their last bankruptcy filing. I'm not up-to-date on this but I last heard that some Chinese firm was supposed to buy them out and save the brand..........but I guess that didn't push through
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:45 PM   #3130
[atomic]
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 255
Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post
Stats about Norwegian car sales 2014:


Top selling models:

...
5. Tesla Model S
...
how is that possible? doesn't the ModelS cost around 100.000?
[atomic] está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 11:20 PM   #3131
TrojaA
ß-Retter
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Weltbürger
Posts: 100
Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by [atomic] View Post
how is that possible? doesn't the ModelS cost around 100.000?
Norway extremely subsidizes electric vehicles (e.g. very low taxes [no import taxes, no first registration tax], allowing to use the bus lane, free use of tolled roads).

But afair the programme is limited to 50.000 EVs and till 2017.
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 12:22 AM   #3132
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,791
Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Interesting data

Although I kinda assumed that Volvo would've taken the #1 spot (especially since it is the only local/regional automaker in the Scandinavian/Nordic region)
Volvo is an overpriced Chinese car make.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 01:02 AM   #3133
italystf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,447
Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post
12.5% electric
8.0 % hybrids
63.5% had automtatic transmission (electric vehicles excluded)
Interesting data. I didn't know that electric\hybrid cars were so popular in Norway (or in any country). A proof that electric vehicles for mainstream market are already a viable option.
Also the share of cars with automatic trasmission is very high for being an European country, in Italy is around 10%.
__________________
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 02:05 AM   #3134
Gsus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 148
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojaA View Post
Norway extremely subsidizes electric vehicles (e.g. very low taxes [no import taxes, no first registration tax], allowing to use the bus lane, free use of tolled roads).
That is not subsidizing. It's incentives.
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 03:57 AM   #3135
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vladicin Han
Posts: 4,240
Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
We haven't heard from Saab since their last bankruptcy filing. I'm not up-to-date on this but I last heard that some Chinese firm was supposed to buy them out and save the brand..........but I guess that didn't push through
Saab is gone.I doubt that they will start with production .
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 11:56 AM   #3136
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,559
Likes (Received): 19352

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
A proof that electric vehicles for mainstream market are already a viable option.
Not really. The only reason for the high share of electric vehicles are market-distorting incentives. If electric cars would be taxed and tolled the same as all other vehicles, the share would've been much lower.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 12:01 PM   #3137
Coccodrillo
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 7,199
Likes (Received): 766

Still they are bought, and this means that their limit in other countries is economical, not technical.
__________________
1.6.2016: Basistunnel!

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

italystf, Filand liked this post
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 12:21 PM   #3138
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,525
Likes (Received): 21227

Is there a network of charging stations along E16 and Rv17 that allows travelling on electrical cars to places like Mo i Rana, Bodø or Trondheim?
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 12:30 PM   #3139
verreme
Registered User
 
verreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,392
Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Volvo is an overpriced Chinese car make.
No Volvos sold in the EU come from China -they are designed and built in Europe by Europeans.
__________________
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 01:34 PM   #3140
suburbicide
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 423
Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by [atomic] View Post
how is that possible? doesn't the ModelS cost around 100.000?
The Model S starts at NOK 500k, which is about $65k. As others have mentioned, fossil fuel powered cars are heavily taxed (as is gas/diesel), so this car is comparatively affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Also the share of cars with automatic trasmission is very high for being an European country, in Italy is around 10%.
Automatic transmissions have gained popularity in recent years, in particular due to the introduction of dual-clutch transmissions, which, due to Norwegian tax policies, are relatively cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is there a network of charging stations along E16 and Rv17 that allows travelling on electrical cars to places like Mo i Rana, Bodø or Trondheim?
Yes. Here's a map:

http://www.ladestasjoner.no/hurtigla...rtigladekartet
__________________

Suburbanist liked this post
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
norway

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium