daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2015, 09:07 AM   #3221
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
Just to be clear on this, what I interpret as a decent 1+1 is a 12.5 m wide road with barriers separating the lanes following standards of curvature etc. which is often far from what current Norwegian highways have. Hence, bringing the entire E-network (6000 km) up to this standard would be very expensive.
Ok, so there was a misunderstanding. I just mean roads that have one lane in each direction, allowing two trucks going to different directions pass each other anywhere they happen to meet, without slowing down to walking speed. Not much to ask, I'd say.

Here's 4/E75 in Finland, approaching Tana valley https://maps.google.fi/maps?ll=69.68...57.05,,0,13.69

Here's E6 in Tana valley https://maps.google.fi/maps?ll=69.81...12,8.3,,0,7.37

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2015, 12:17 AM   #3222
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

I completely agree. Two lanes should be a minimum for the ~10 000 km of national roads in Norway (which includes the E-roads), although the road you pointed to only has an AADT of around 300. However, even this job is not a small undertaking. In 2011, a total of 6 900 km was narrower than 8.5 m. 1 666 km was "single lane", which means that the road is less than 6 m wide and lacking the center line (as as shown on OulaL's picture).

The same report of Vegvesenet also provided a traffic map overview of the national roads back in 2010:

More detailed traffic info can btw be found here, but it helps to be fluent in Norwegian and have a few hacker genes.... It shows for instance that there is great variation also in the type of traffic between the routes. The record with regards to truck traffic is perhaps Rv 3 which has a truck fraction up to about 30 % on sections dominated by transit traffic, which is about three times what is found in urban areas and also much higher than similar sections on other important transit roads such as E-16, E-134, and E-6.

Filand, Bjørne liked this post

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; February 26th, 2015 at 12:42 AM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #3223
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Riksvei 77 Tjernfjellet

Image from Statens Vegvesen

A 3,4km long tunnel on Riksvei 77 in Nordland will be built starting this autumn, and it will be completed earliest autumn 2018. The tunnel including a new intersection with E6 will replace a steep, dangerous and narrow 4km section with a 10% grade. The road connects to Swedish Riksväg 95 and has a 26% truck share.

Here's a video of the current stretch. Surely would be a scary winter drive with a truck.

Road 77 to E6 near Junkerdal with Scania R480 by Giel

ChrisZwolle, riiga, gogo3o liked this post

Last edited by metasmurf; March 15th, 2015 at 10:20 PM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 10:01 PM   #3224
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
The road has a 26% truck share.
It sounds high, but should be seen in perspective, the AADT is only 370 vehicles per day. But yes, a definite improvement. I know they're getting sick in Norway by all the (foreign) truck accidents in the winter with prolonged road closures.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #3225
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It sounds high, but should be seen in perspective, the AADT is only 370 vehicles per day. But yes, a definite improvement. I know they're getting sick in Norway by all the (foreign) truck accidents in the winter with prolonged road closures.
A tunnel with similar length, Umskartunnelen was completed 2006 on E12 with only around 600 AADT, so I guess the Norwegians regard the connections with Sweden as important as alternative routes are fare between, at least in the north.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #3226
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Here's a video of the current stretch. Surely would be a scary winter drive with a truck.
It is a scary stretch even in a good summer conditions driving a passenger car. I know, by experience.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 11:48 PM   #3227
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
A tunnel with similar length, Umskartunnelen was completed 2006 on E12 with only around 600 AADT, so I guess the Norwegians regard the connections with Sweden as important as alternative routes are fare between, at least in the north.
The AADT is not a very clever basis for decision making in very sparsely populated areas. The basic road network is kept in a decent state despite of low average figures. In addition, in the touristic areas, the AADT may be a meaningless figure because the summer traffic per day may be 20 times the winter traffic.

For example, the AADT figures on the roads heading to Norway from Finland, are very low on the Finnish side. From west to east 21/E8: 400, 93: 400, 92: 250, 4/E75: 200, 970 Nuorgam: no data, 971: 220. Still, the roads are kept in a rather good condition, and open all year long. I think the same logic applies at the Swedish-Norwegian border.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #3228
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

How the road-administration thinks the norwegian highway-network should look like in 2050. Black is motorways/four lane roads, purple highways with a central divider and occational passing lanes, while green is standard two-lane roads, 7,5 - 10 meters wide.

Source: http://www.tu.no/samferdsel/2015/03/...-fire-ar-siden

Agent 006 liked this post
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #3229
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

2050 and still no Tysfjord fixed link.
Old March 19th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #3230
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
2050 and still no Tysfjord fixed link.
Tysfjord, as all other National highway-routes is planned to be ferry-free, by the road-administrations ambitions. Guess the map has a couple of holes on that part, as also the Sognefjord has a gap in the E39-line.

How far we`ll get to this, further or shorter remains to see. I`m starting to become quite old in 2050 (if I`m still alive), so the joy will be mostly for future generations. A lot can, and will probably happen to the ambitions, for better or worse, and Norways economy will probably not be as good as it has the last decades with ageing population, and a social budget, and public sector thats expanding uncontrolled. Not good to tell what will be prioritised in the future, but a good transport-network is gonna crusial in a future with low oil-prices, or no oil-incomes at all.
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #3231
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another segment of the Skjeggestad Bridge was blown to smithereens today.

Old March 26th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #3232
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Is the parallel viaduct currently open with an 1+1 configuration?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #3233
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E39, Rogfast

The cost for the Rogfast megaproject (Boknafjord Tunnel) is estimated at 14.2 billion crowns, or around € 1.65 billion. The toll component can be repaid in 20 years, assuming a 5.5% interest rate. The tunnel is circa 26.7 kilometers long and has two tubes with two lanes each way (basically a motorway).

The projected toll is 300 crowns for cars (circa € 35) and 900 crowns for trucks (circa € 105).

Construction could begin in late 2016, with an opening in 2024. It will be the longest road tunnel in the world, a title already held by Norway.
Old March 26th, 2015, 04:56 PM   #3234
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
The cost for the Rogfast megaproject (Boknafjord Tunnel) is estimated at 14.2 billion crowns, or around € 1.65 billion. The toll component can be repaid in 20 years, assuming a 5.5% interest rate. The tunnel is circa 26.7 kilometers long and has two tubes with two lanes each way (basically a motorway).

The projected toll is 300 crowns for cars (circa € 35) and 900 crowns for trucks (circa € 105).

Construction could begin in late 2016, with an opening in 2024. It will be the longest road tunnel in the world, a title already held by Norway.
More than the Femer international tunnel ?
Old March 26th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #3235
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
More than the Femer international tunnel ?
According to Wikipedia, the Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link will be 17.6 km long. The Rogfast tunnel will be 26.7 km long. The Ryfast tunnel, which is under construction, will be 14.3 km long
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #3236
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Is the parallel viaduct currently open with an 1+1 configuration?
No, it has been closed since the collapse, but it will be opened after they secure the foundations of the bridge. This wil also be done on the old foundations of the now demolished bridge, which will be rebuilt by the same company and in almost exactly the same design.

The remaining bridge will open before the summer holiday, according to the latest reports, indeed as an 1+1 configuration.

http://www.nrk.no/vestfold/apner-tro...der-1.12224480
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #3237
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafangr View Post
According to Wikipedia, the Fehmarn Belt Fixed Link will be 17.6 km long.
The immersed section of the Femern Tunnel is 17.6 kilometers long. However, there are also conventional tunnel approaches, so the total tunnel length is closer to 18.2 km. Still considerably shorter than either the Lærdal Tunnel or The Boknafjord Tunnel, but tied with the recently opened Yamate Tunnel in Tokyo.
Old March 27th, 2015, 12:11 AM   #3238
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
The immersed section of the Femern Tunnel is 17.6 kilometers long. However, there are also conventional tunnel approaches, so the total tunnel length is closer to 18.2 km. Still considerably shorter than either the Lærdal Tunnel or The Boknafjord Tunnel, but tied with the recently opened Yamate Tunnel in Tokyo.
And Frejus will cease to be the longest international road tunnel in the world.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #3239
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
Opening of E6 Korslund – Langset (3,8km) in Norway has been concretized from spring 2015 to june 2015.
E6: Korslund – Langset 3.8km (2012 to June 2015) – projectmap

I've checked the project page info. It's just reported to be opened in 2015, for instance: > click <.

Quote:
De siste kilometrene av E6 og dobbeltsporet jernbane åpner i 2015, mens lokalveg og gang-og sykkelveg åpner i 2016.

Google translated:
The last kilometers of E6 and double track opens in 2015, while lokalveg and pedestrian and cycle opens in 2016.
Is the estimated opening in June 2015 still up-to-date? Is the opening already agreed on a day?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #3240
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

June 2015 still on this summary page: http://www.vegvesen.no/Europaveg/e6m...akta/Fremdrift

If they're delayed, they haven't announced that.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway