daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2015, 03:26 PM   #3281
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Back to present day reality for a while...

What would be the best route from Oslo to Stavanger in terms of 1) time, 2) money and 3) winter maintenance? (I understand that the answers to these three are probably not the same.)

Intuitively I'd choose between E18-E39, E18-E134-13 and E18-E134-E39, but Google recommends something in between. However, honestly speaking, I'm a little sceptical when it comes to other-than-green-numbered routes crossing the mountains...

This is business and not holiday, so time and money are more important factors than nice views. Thanks for the help again...

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2015, 03:51 PM   #3282
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They are planning a motorway standard tunnel. I don't think spiral tunnels work well with that. There are some spiral tunnels in Norway though. The coolest is in Drammen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drammen_Spiral
The spirals would work if the curve radius is long enough. The Highway Design Manual states that 450 meters would be the minimum for the continuous traffic flow of 100 km/h. The same source recommends to not exceed 5% gradient, if the design speed is 100 km/h.

So, if we need to go 700 meters deep, we need 14 kilometers of each access road. A minimum loop is about 2.8 kilometers. Thus, four loops and five straight sections of 600 meters each would be enough. Every second loop should turn clockwise, and remaining ones anti-clockwise. Something like this:

MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 03:55 PM   #3283
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post

What would be the best route from Oslo to Stavanger in terms of 1) time, 2) money and 3) winter maintenance? (I understand that the answers to these three are probably not the same.)

Intuitively I'd choose between E18-E39, E18-E134-13 and E18-E134-E39, but Google recommends something in between. However, honestly speaking, I'm a little sceptical when it comes to other-than-green-numbered routes crossing the mountains...

This is business and not holiday, so time and money are more important factors than nice views. Thanks for the help again...
E18-E39 for business, and E134-45 for summertime holiday. For business, keep away from 13 Stavanger-Røldal.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 03:58 PM   #3284
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

The plan calls for a 110 km/h motorway with 800 m minimum curve radius.

Med utgangspunkt i trafikkmengde og den funksjonen vegen skal ha vert dimensjoneringsklasse H8/H9 lagt til grunn (Handbok N100). Fartsgrensa er 110 km/t, og minste horisontalkurveradius er 800m. Vegen skal byggjast som firefelts veg med midtdelar. Køyrefelta skal ha ei breidde på 3,5 m.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:12 PM   #3285
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The spirals would work if the curve radius is long enough. The Highway Design Manual states that 450 meters would be the minimum for the continuous traffic flow of 100 km/h. The same source recommends to not exceed 5% gradient, if the design speed is 100 km/h.

So, if we need to go 700 meters deep, we need 14 kilometers of each access road. A minimum loop is about 2.8 kilometers. Thus, four loops and five straight sections of 600 meters each would be enough. Every second loop should turn clockwise, and remaining ones anti-clockwise. Something like this:

I don't see the point in using spirals, though, as this of course will increase the total driving length except for some local traffic which anyway can use side arms like on Rogfast.

If the tunnel only need to be around 500 m deep, it would in principal be feasible, as the total length required then would be say 2X10 km (ramps)+ 6 km (submarine length)=26 km. Rogfast a bit further south on E29 is today planned as a 27 km long tunnel going down to 390 m below the sea surface. However, in practice, a Bjørnafjord tunnel might end up being significantly longer and deeper due to the geology (e.g. depth to solid rock and the quality of the rock) or other factors. Of course, especially for heavy vehicles a long ascent is not favourable. Ventilation and possibly evacuation routes can probably be arranged using shafts regardless of length.
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:22 PM   #3286
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post

Quote:
E18-E39 for business, and E134-45 for summertime holiday. For business, keep away from 13 Stavanger-Røldal.
E134-45 is a great route with regards to scenery, and probably the most time efficient route using a car during summertime, but you must realize that it means crossing a number of steep valleys and that fv 45 some places is narrow and winding, and I think fv 45 Valle-Sirdal is closed during winter. Hence, during winter or when using a heavy vehicle I would recommend E18-E39 as well.
Old May 21st, 2015, 08:14 PM   #3287
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
How about the groundbreaking concept of a moving floating bridge? Let us not to build a bridge of 5-6 kilometers, but a number of shorter ones, say 100 meters each. They could be equipped with engines and propellers to make them moving from one port to another.
This concept already exists. It is called a ferryboat

Turf, Suburbanist liked this post
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 08:47 PM   #3288
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
E134-45 is a great route with regards to scenery, and probably the most time efficient route using a car during summertime, but you must realize that it means crossing a number of steep valleys and that fv 45 some places is narrow and winding, and I think fv 45 Valle-Sirdal is closed during winter. Hence, during winter or when using a heavy vehicle I would recommend E18-E39 as well.
Thought so, given the location. It's especially narrow and winding roads I dislike when working. (And on a holiday I like them...)

Well thanks anyway and to Matti as well.
Old May 21st, 2015, 11:27 PM   #3289
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

http://www.tu.no/vareveger/nyheter/2...flypasskrysset

The ramps between E16 and E6 at the Langeland-intersection is to be rebuilt, to make it a complete motorway-intersection for all directions. This will be the first full intersection between two motorways in Norway, although only with three arms. The other (half) intersection between two motorways in Norway is currently the Karihaugen-intersection between E6 and Rv. 159 at the border between Oslo and Lørenskog.

The Grønvold-intersetion (half-cloverleaf to the right) is planned to be closed, and be replaced by a new and larger intersection further north. This is not financed yet.

devo, Bjørne liked this post
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 12:42 AM   #3290
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Fv 337 Brokke-Suleskard is being cleared of snow and will open for the season on 23 May. The snow is up to 9 meters deep.

Heico-M, pai nosso, metasmurf, Luki_SL liked this post
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 04:17 PM   #3291
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Osterøy Bridge near Bergen becomes toll free on June 15.

http://www.bomringenbergen.no/2015/0...-15-juni-2015/

Osterøybrua - fastlandet by Geo2m, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Heico-M, Hansadyret liked this post
Old May 29th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #3292
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E6 Narvik

The Hålogaland Bridge in progress north of Narvik.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

suburbicide, pai nosso liked this post
Old May 31st, 2015, 02:01 PM   #3293
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

New motorway-/expressway-like roads u/c

Thank you very much

I'd like to post here because this thread is read by more (Norwegian) user who could correct data or provide updates. Some of your data is different to the project pages (e.g. E16/E18 completion, E39/E6 lengths)!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
Two projects that`s already been started, which is missing in the first post is the projects E16 Sandvika - Wøyen (4km) and E39 Svegatjørn - Rådal (17km), which also includes a 2 km motorway-connection on highway 580. E16 i scheduled for completion in 2019, and E39 during 2021/2022.
I've checked the project page, it should be as followed:

E16: Voyenenga – Sandvika (E18) 3.5km (February 2015 to 2020) – projectmap

E39: Nordas/Soras (Fv580) – Ulven 16.2km (Fall 2015 to 2022) – projectmap
Fv580: Flyplassvegen – Nordas/Soras (E39) 2km (Fall 2015 to 2022) – projectmap

I seems that E39/Fv580 are not yet u/c. Just some preliminary works. If I got it right, works should begin in fall 2015. I'll add these projects to the list in fall.

Quote:
http://www.vegvesen.no/Vegprosjekter...%B8r-e39-start

Statens vegvesen skal ha førehandsundersøking av tilsaman 1.300 bygg-einingar før byggestart på E39 Svegatjørn–Rådal. [13.05.2015]
Avtalen vil gjelde 6,5 år etter inngåing av kontrakten. Frist for levering av tilbod er 5. juni 2015.

Google translated:
NPRA should have pre-examination of tilsaman 1,300 construction entities before starting construction on E39 Svegatjørn-Rådal. [05/13/2015]
The agreement will apply to 6.5 years after inngåing of contract. Deadline for delivery of attraction is 5th June 2015.
Quote:
http://www.vegvesen.no/Vegprosjekter...-flyplassvegen

Frå denne veka blir det sprengingsarbeid på nordsida av rv. 580 Flyplassvegen ved Skeievatn og Fana golfklubb. [26.05.2015]
BKK arbeider for tida med flytting av eksisterande jordkabel på delar av Flyplassvegen ved Skeievatn og Fana golfklubb, på nordsida av rv. 580. Dette er eit førebuande tiltak i samband med arbeid på vegprosjektet E39 Svegatjørn–Rådal, som tek til hausten 2015.

Google translated:
From this veka becomes blasting work on the north side of Hwy. 580 Flyplassvegen at Skei Vatn and Fana Golf Club. [05/26/2015]
BKK is working at the moment with the relocation of existing underground cables at parts of Flyplassvegen at Skei Vatn and Fana Golf Club, on the north side of Hwy. 580. This is an for general measures in connection with work on the road project E39 Svegatjørn-Rådal who enter into autumn 2015.

Quote:
Also, E6 between Jaktøyen (Melhus) and Sandmoen (south of Trondheim), an 8 km long motorway-section commences this year. The railway line between Oslo and Trondheim is getting a new trace, and bridge crossing the motorway, and this work has already been started together with preparatory ground works and building of construction-roads. Main tenders is scheduled to go out very soon. Completion is set sometime during 2018.
E6: Tonstad – Jaktoyen 9.6km (2015 to 2018) – projectmap

Quote:
Two projects a little farther into the future is E18 Tvedestrand - Arendal (23 km), and E18 Rugtvedt - Dørdal (south of Porsgrunn)(17 km). Tenders for preparatory works (constrution-roads and logging) is already out, and will be decides during mid-june for Tvedestrand - Arendal. Main tenders is scheduled to go out late this year or early 2016. Tvedestrand-Arendal i scheduled for completion in 2018, and Rugtvedt-Dørdal during 2019.
E18: Arendal-West – Tvedestrand 22.8km (2016 to 2019) – projectmap
E18: Dordal – Rugtvedt 17km (2016 to 2019) – projectmap

I'll add the projects to the list as soon as I'll be triggered that works have been started...

E16 will be added with the next update of the list (see link in my signature).

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Agent 006 liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2015, 07:07 PM   #3294
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

E6: Korslund – Langset 3.8km (2012 to 25th June 2015) – projectmap

The final section will be opened on 25th June 2015 (source).

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2015, 04:05 AM   #3295
Agent 006

Likes (Received): 182

These motorways may also start construction next year:
* Rv. 3/rv. 25 Tønset - Åkroken (part of Ommangsvollen - Grundset project), 14 km
* E39 Harestad - Bokn (Rogfast), 29 km

MichiH liked this post

Last edited by Agent 006; June 1st, 2015 at 04:24 AM.
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #3296
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Imarsund Bridges near Aure (northeast of Kristiansund) become toll free on 15 June. They are three bridges of Fv 680. The toll was 105 kroner (€ 12). The link opened in 1995.

SRC_100, pai nosso liked this post
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:04 PM   #3297
Rob73

Likes (Received): 177

The toll should have been dropped when the toll was removed from Krifast
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 01:18 AM   #3298
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

It opened in 2007, not 1995. And there is no particular relation with Krifast.
Old June 14th, 2015, 01:39 AM   #3299
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

How are these toll schemes set up in Norway? Are they PPP contracts or SPE (special-purpose entities) with their own financing on a set deadline? Who bears the risk or the benefits of lower or higher than predicted traffic?

Does the government collect tolls for a fixed term and pay for construction instead?

Are tolls collected until all bonds or financial obligations of construction can be retired from the market?

Is there some government fund that tolls on new roads/bridges/tunnels must replenish before tolls are suspended?
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #3300
Rob73

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
It opened in 2007, not 1995. And there is no particular relation with Krifast.
No there isn't but toll routes around here are being dropped left right and centre this one should have gone earlier. The next one to go should be the Atlantic Tunnel, most of the cars travelling through it are electric, the tunnel isn't making money due to this, the govt should step in, pay it off and make it free for everyone.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway