daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2015, 05:23 PM   #3301
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

E16 near Bagn (south of Fagernes) will get a 4.3 kilometer long single tube tunnel. It will be tolled, with a toll rate of 52-57 kroner (around € 6). I find that relatively expensive for a short stretch of two-lane road.

I drove this road last year, it was one of the lowest standard stretches of E16 (narrow and curvy). Though I wonder if it is worth € 6 for only 11 km of new road. Rv.7 charges 70 kroner for 20 km which cuts 20 minutes of travel time. That sounds like more value for money than this toll project.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Filand, Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #3302
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
How are these toll schemes set up in Norway? Are they PPP contracts or SPE (special-purpose entities) with their own financing on a set deadline? Who bears the risk or the benefits of lower or higher than predicted traffic?

Does the government collect tolls for a fixed term and pay for construction instead?

Are tolls collected until all bonds or financial obligations of construction can be retired from the market?

Is there some government fund that tolls on new roads/bridges/tunnels must replenish before tolls are suspended?
Basically, the state pays the construction. For (almost) each new major road/tunnel/bridge, there is a political discussion on whether the construction will be toll-financed or not. The share of toll-financing is something between 0 and 100 percent of the investment.

There is a mathematical model to make estimates of AADT as a function of the toll fee. Typically, the percentage and fee are calculated targeting a payment period of 15-20 years. When the collected amount of money minus interests minus collection costs equals to target amount of money, the toll booths are removed.

In several cases, the new toll road has been much more popular than anticipated, and the booths have been removed years before expected.

There are some factors making things more complex: The toll may be collected before the new road is opened. If a ferry is to be replaced by fixed link, there may be surcharge embedded in the ferry fee. Then in some places, the toll is collected on an old parallel road, too, to make in unattractive to leave to new road just to avoid tolls.

Suburbanist liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #3303
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

What annoys me is when the toll is retained long after the project has been completed to fund other projects. This is not fair, for a new project set up a new toll.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 03:56 PM   #3304
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

When are they going to reopen Skjeggestad bridge again. I mean the undamaged half. It is possible at open the undamaged half and have traffic in both directions on this temporarily until the second half is done.

But when are they going to open it?
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 05:00 PM   #3305
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 925

Well, it's possible as you say, but they had to check the underground mases first to be sure there wouldn't be anymore slides. Now they've even refounded a couple of the pillars holding the bridge, and litteraly raised the bridge a bit. With a new alignment and new road markings, the bridge will open till this year's holiday season late June/early July.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 05:04 PM   #3306
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post

What annoys me is when the toll is retained long after the project has been completed to fund other projects. This is not fair, for a new project set up a new toll.
What determines this?
Old June 18th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #3307
Gsus

http://www.vegvesen.no/Europaveg/e6j...-skal-lyses-ut

Main tender is out on E6 Melhus-Heimdal!

One of the very worst main roads in Norway (counting standard vs. traffic), and the main road into Trondheim from the south is finaly being expandet too four lanes. This E6-section was first planned as a four-lane motorway during the 1980´s, but nothing has happened since, except for a short four-lane stretch at the southern end of this section, openet during mid 2000´s.

The E6 is planned to have four lanes between Trondheim and Støren within 2023. I only belive that if theres work on all remaining parts within 2021
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #3308
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What determines this?
I have no idea.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 04:15 PM   #3309
Registered_User
Gold member

Likes (Received): 427

Looks like Grefsenveien, Oslos perhaps worst conditioned public road, finally get a long sought after upgrade.
I found this announcement on a door in the neighborhood yesterday, announcing work begins tomorrow June 22nd. Sadly it does not seem to involve full rebuild of tram tracks and the stop itself.

Filand liked this post
Registered_User no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 05:53 AM   #3310
Agent 006

Likes (Received): 180

E6 Ulven - Klemetsrud

The missing motorway link, E6 Ulven - Klemetsrud, will eventually become a motorway too (H7-standard, which means city motorway-standard). Klemetsrud - Abildsø will be widened to 7 or 8 lanes (including two bus/truck lanes) and shoulders of 3 m, and may start construction in 2019. Abildsø - Ulven will be replaced by new tunnels, which will go directly to E6 Ulven/Alnabru. This means you could pass Oslo at E6 without using Ring 3 somewhere in the future (probably before 2030).

Of course it would have been better having a new Ring 4 Ski - Lilestrøm. But this is better than nothing. Whether the entire new stretch would be signed motorway, I can't guarantee. But it would at least look like a motorway, in contrast with current situation.

Project page (in Norwegian): http://www.vegvesen.no/Europaveg/e6manglerud

Bjørne, ChrisZwolle liked this post

Last edited by Agent 006; June 22nd, 2015 at 09:52 AM.
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 06:43 PM   #3311
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice! This is one of the most substandard stretches of the Oslo bypass. There is even a T-intersection and bus stops. It also has sidewalks and some very tight ramps.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:23 PM   #3312
Gsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 006 View Post
E6 Ulven - Klemetsrud

The missing motorway link, E6 Ulven - Klemetsrud, will eventually become a motorway too (H7-standard, which means city motorway-standard). Klemetsrud - Abildsø will be widened to 7 or 8 lanes (including two bus/truck lanes) and shoulders of 3 m, and may start construction in 2019. Abildsø - Ulven will be replaced by new tunnels, which will go directly to E6 Ulven/Alnabru. This means you could pass Oslo at E6 without using Ring 3 somewhere in the future (probably before 2030).

Of course it would have been better having a new Ring 4 Ski - Lilestrøm. But this is better than nothing. Whether the entire new stretch would be signed motorway, I can't guarantee. But it would at least look like a motorway, in contrast with current situation.

Don´t think it will be signed as a motorway, if things are done by the book. Only one lane in each direction in the tunnel between Bryn and Ulven for all other traffic than heavy vehicles. Buses and trucks will have their own lane.

Remember, no more capacity for personal vehicles is to be planned in larger cities, so I´m guessing the ramps at Ulven will be dimesioning ;-)
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #3313
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 925

Skjeggestad bridge (the northbound part) opens this Friday: http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/ir...g-8070973.html

Construction of a new southbound bridge will start shortly after, most likely ready next summer.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #3314
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E6 Narvik

Hålogaland Bridge. The pylon has reached 70 m. Another 100 m to go.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

simondanut, DJaCoNdA, Filand, pai nosso liked this post
Old June 25th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #3315
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

The last section of E6 north of Minnesund opened to traffic today. Here's a video of a test drive shortly before opening:

http://www.rb.no/tv/vi-har-provekjor...-43-92841.html

MichiH liked this post
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #3316
kvasir77

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 006 View Post
E6 Ulven - Klemetsrud

They should do something about the Ljarbru diagonal at the same time. From the intersection at Hauketo, there should be a tunnel straight throw the hillside towards Bjørndal.

Agent 006 liked this post
kvasir77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2015, 03:29 AM   #3317
Uppsala

How is it going on Skjeggestad bridge now? Is it open now?
Old June 30th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #3318
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, it opened last Friday with one lane in each direction.
Old June 30th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #3319
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes, it opened last Friday with one lane in each direction.
Good!
Old July 7th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #3320
Uppsala

And now since the last part of E6 in Sweden is finished, motorways in Norway is a part of the Continental motorways

Shifty2k5, Filand, Stafangr liked this post

Tags
norway