daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #3321
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Well, really just the one motorway....

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #3322
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
And now since the last part of E6 in Sweden is finished, motorways in Norway is a part of the Continental motorways
West and north of Oslo, no, they aren't.

(And E6 south of Oslo is only if we ignore the breaks at Øresund and Great Belt toll plazas )
Old July 10th, 2015, 01:25 AM   #3323
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
West and north of Oslo, no, they aren't.

(And E6 south of Oslo is only if we ignore the breaks at Øresund and Great Belt toll plazas )
Toll plazas are considered part of a motorway. And E6 is now a motorway for around 100km north of Oslo.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #3324
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Fv. 46 Sandsfjord Bridge

Progress on the Sandsfjord Bridge in Suldal, east of Haugesund.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #3325
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Here are two road related pictures I took on my trip to Norway

Saltstraumen bru, on Fylkesvei 17 near Bodø

E6 on Saltfjellet north of Mo i rana

Last edited by metasmurf; July 10th, 2015 at 09:36 PM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #3326
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Toll plazas are considered part of a motorway. And E6 is now a motorway for around 100km north of Oslo.
I think their argument is that E6/E18 through Oslo itself is not signposted as motorway all the way. However, both highways are multilane, gradeseparated and divided.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #3327
OulaL

Quote:
Toll plazas are considered part of a motorway.
Well, signs like these are considered meaning the end of a motorway.

https://www.google.fi/maps/@55.56537...7i13312!8i6656

Quote:
And E6 is now a motorway for around 100km north of Oslo.
Yes, but not through Oslo.
Old July 12th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #3328
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Indeed, and the written local regulations says that the E 20 is motorway except for the toll plaza.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #3329
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:

https://www.google.fi/maps/@55.56537...7i13312!8i6656

There are a lot of toll plazas everywhere in Europe and they are considered part of a motorway. A motorway with several toll plazas considered to be just one motorway, not many.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #3330
OulaL

Quote:
There are a lot of toll plazas everywhere in Europe and they are considered part of a motorway. A motorway with several toll plazas considered to be just one motorway, not many.
Well yes, some of them are. This one apparently is not. Neither is the Great Belt toll plaza.

Unless you have some other explanation to the sign with a motorway symbol and a red line across it.
Old July 12th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #3331
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Well yes, some of them are. This one apparently is not. Neither is the Great Belt toll plaza.

Unless you have some other explanation to the sign with a motorway symbol and a red line across it.
Toll plaza have that normally. It is one motorway, not many
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #3332
54°26′S 3°24′E

Quote:

Who cares. The practical implication is nil. What is considered motorway varies all over Europe and the world. In eg the US they don't even know the concept. What matters is that it is now possible to drive non-stop on divided grade-separeted expressways from most corners of Europe far into Norway, which certainly is a milestone. Hopefully in not too many decades the network will also extend to Norwegian cities next to Oslo in population (Bergen, Trondheim, Stavanger).

Quote:
Also around 115 km to the south - west of Oslo (E18) and shorter sections to the east of Oslo on rv. 159 and E18.

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; July 12th, 2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old July 12th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #3333
OulaL

Quote:
Toll plaza have that normally. It is one motorway, not many
They don't have that sign on toll plazas in Norway. Neither at Svinesund northbound (that one being in Sweden).

I agree with... the user above that this question is mostly academical and from the driver's point of view has close to none practical meaning whatsoever.

However I am curious; there must be some reason for officially breaking the motorway or not.
Old July 12th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #3334
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

End\beginning of motorway signs are used at some European border crossings even if there is a motorway on both sides. For example an Italian-style end of motorway sign at the border crossing of Como\Chiasso means that the Italian motorway ends there (thus end of general rules valid on Italian motorways), but after few meters you cross the border and find a Swiss-style beginning of motorway sign (beginning of general rules valid on Swiss motorways). However, we can say that there is a contiguous motorway between Milan and Zurich. Similar thing at Fernetti, between Italy and Slovenia (even worse, you need to make a 360° turn in westward direction), but we can say that there's a motorway all the way between Milan and Zagreb.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

TrojaA liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:09 PM   #3335
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
Who cares. The practical implication is nil. What is considered motorway varies all over Europe and the world. In eg the US they don't even know the concept. What matters is that it is now possible to drive non-stop on divided grade-separeted expressways from most corners of Europe far into Norway, which certainly is a milestone. Hopefully in not too many decades the network will also extend to Norwegian cities next to Oslo in population (Bergen, Trondheim, Stavanger).

Also around 115 km to the south - west of Oslo (E18) and shorter sections to the east of Oslo on rv. 159 and E18.
I guess Kristiansand, Hønefoss and Lillehammer are the next candidates to join the "grid".

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #3336
54°26′S 3°24′E

And Grenland(Skien/Porsgrunn) as well as eg Hamar and Elverum. All these cities are however "tier 3" or less on a Norwegian scale, and we will not have a real national network before the "tier 2" cities (Bergen, Trondheim, Stavanger) are connected.
Old July 14th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #3337
OAQP

Likes (Received): 12

I doubt that Trondheim will ever be connected to the continental motorway network - would love to see it happen though!

Bergen may be connected to the motorway network in a couple of decades time (optimistic) if the E39 plans for the link from Kristiansand to Stavanger plus the Rogfast tunnel and the Hordfast Bridge go ahead.
OAQP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:21 AM   #3338
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

Even with motorway all way, would it ever make sense to drive Oslo - Bergen on E18/E39? Presumably someone must've made some calculations on this, at least the effect on goods transport?

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 09:31 AM   #3339
OAQP

Likes (Received): 12

Probably not as Oslo - Bergen via E18/E39 is 750 kilometres and Oslo - Bergen via RV7 is 460 kilometres.

I guess the purpose of the planned E18/E39 is to link the towns and cities along the coast (particularly Kristiansand - Stavanger - Bergen) and not to provide a fast link between Oslo and Bergen.
OAQP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #3340
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Major problems in the Skatestraum Tunnel in Bremanger municipality in western Norway. A tanker truck carrying 16,500 liters of fuel crashed in the tunnel and caught fire. And now they are reporting the tunnel is filling up with water. It is an undersea tunnel (length: 1902 m).

The tunnel is the only fixed link to Bremanger.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 15th, 2015 at 03:58 PM.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway