daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2015, 09:30 AM   #3361
OAQP

Likes (Received): 12

Will the new Sotra bridge be classified as a full motorway or is it just going to be a 4-lane sub-standard highway?
OAQP no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2015, 07:23 PM   #3362
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAQP View Post
Will the new Sotra bridge be classified as a full motorway or is it just going to be a 4-lane sub-standard highway?
Local politicians are demanting that two of the four lanes is to be bus-lanes, something the Road administration has opposed (as there is not expected delays with four lanes open for all traffic). Traffic in the morning/evening rush is almost 50-50 in each direction, so there is never any extreme rushhour into Bergen in the mornings, and out of Bergen in the evening. Politicians in Bergen does´nt want a traffic increase into central Bergen tho. But seems like politicians is getting their will. Can´t really se why politicians on Sotra is also demanting this, as it will mean more people from the islands also sitting in ques. Daily traffic is expected at around 30 000 over the sound by opening of the new bridge, of which ca 6000 will use the old.

Buslanes is "trendy" tho, although the people driving cars is paying for most of the fun (in this case allmost all of construnction costs, and with interests on the toll, a lot more than constrution costs actually. Don`t really see why they can`t use the old bridge for buses only, if they really need those politically correct bus-lanes. No buses would have to intersect with other vehicles at ramps and such then.

To answer your question: If politicians is getting their will, I´m guessing it will be signed expressway.
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 09:29 PM   #3363
Hansadyret

Likes (Received): 622

I expect them to end up with a 2+ lane. If you read the article Henning Warloe from Bergen Høyre wants "sambruksfelt"
Imagine a buslane with a bus every 5 minutes during rushtraffic, would be a waste. Some of the buses will have to use the old bridge anyway for local traffic.
Hansadyret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 01:08 AM   #3364
devo

Likes (Received): 41

The construction basis of this bridge with the demands and then ultimate cost of these ridiculous bus lane are stupendous. The same happens with the new Varoddbrua here in Kristiansand. Six lanes, two reserved for bus. No, never, not at all, will the bus have any remote problem getting through traffic. Or at least, if something happens, it will not be helped by the bus lanes on the bridge.

This is only done to please an Excel-sheets bottom line, hastily made up to sum all the K's of bus lanes in a city. Which are then interpeted by very competent politicians who smile and tell everyone they've saved the planet.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #3365
Gsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansadyret View Post
I expect them to end up with a 2+ lane. If you read the article Henning Warloe from Bergen Høyre wants "sambruksfelt"
Imagine a buslane with a bus every 5 minutes during rushtraffic, would be a waste. Some of the buses will have to use the old bridge anyway for local traffic.
That is somewhat better, but still a waste of road capasity, and in maybe 10 years, the situation for the drivers that pay 40 kr for each passing will maybe be just as bad? I hope it will only be the relative short section from Bergen to the first intersection at Sotra that will have this solution. If not, there will actually be two routes over Sotra with reserved lanes going right beside each other, as they´re building a busroad too.

A lot of capasity on a four lane, grade separated road comes from the ability of changing lane, when traffic goes at different speeds. I think most people in this forum knows that well, but since almost everything is supposed to be about politics in Norway, the results is`nt always what professionals mean. Letting the buses (and mopeds/scooters) have the old bridge for it self would mean that the capasity on the new bridge can be used more effectively, and the buses will have less conflict points too. With construction of the planned bus-tunnel from Storavatnet to Liavatnet, it will anyway be a shitty solution to have all busses comming into the intersection at Storavatnet, where rv. 555 meets the road from Askøy. Using the old route for buses makes way for a connection further into the planned bus-tunnel which does´nt have to go through that intersection.

I don´t see the solution I´ve sketched happening tho. I know the road administration and its consultants had the old bridge reserved for buses as an option, but some politicians meant that it would make public transportation a poorer alternative just because it would have to drive over an older bridge

But nothing in the Sotra-bridge case surprises me anymore. Politicians even fight the road administration on weather one of the lanes are to be zoned as bus-lane, and not road area (road administration say they can sign a bus lane). Road administration has tried to tell them that there is no such thing as zoning a bus lane. A bus lane is an asphalt lane, just as any other driving lane, and thus zoned as road area. But some people does`nt seem to understand

If this was a bridge leading right into the middle of Bergen, I would not have shaken my head over this. But rv. 555 i a national highway, and this section is located 10 kilometers away from Bergen city centre. In my opinion, you don´t use close to 10 billion NOK on a system with the same ques a soon as it opens on the main road-network.

Last edited by Gsus; July 24th, 2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old July 24th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #3366
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

This sounds like the Queensferry Crossing in Scotland. They are constructing a new large cable-stayed bridge because the old suspension bridge is in poor condition. Instead of tearing it down and construct the new bridge with six instead of four lanes, they underdesign the new bridge with four lanes and keep the old deteriorating bridge for buses. Imagine the maintenance cost of a large suspension bridge just for a few buses, which could easily used the new bridge with uncongested conditions nearly all the time.

In the Netherlands they added bus lanes to the improved N261 between Tilburg and Waalwijk. The improvements (interchanges) have removed all bottlenecks, so there is free-flow traffic even during rush hour. So the buses won't have any added value of those bus lanes, they could use the regular uncongested lanes as well. In fact, most bus drivers will avoid the bus lanes so they don't have to cross traffic that uses the on- and offramps.

It seems that when it comes to public transport, logic is lost and wasteful spending is suddenly justified.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

devo, keokiracer liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #3367
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 265

Ryfast and Eiganes-tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafangr View Post

pai nosso liked this post
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 05:22 AM   #3368
Agent 006

Likes (Received): 180

E39 Figgjo

Road authorities won the battle, and E39 tunnel through Figgjo (north of Ålgård) will be short. This makes 110 km/h possible, since distance between tunnels are long enough for a intersection dimensioned for such speed limit. If not, the speed limit would have been considerably reduced.

A basic assumption here, is that future E39 will follow current E39, and not go through Høg-Jæren. Even though E39 Sandnes - Ålgård might become motorway anyway because of high traffic amount.

In Norwegian: https://www.regjeringen.no/no/aktuel...and/id2427961/

Last edited by Agent 006; July 26th, 2015 at 06:01 AM.
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #3369
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E6 Narvik

Hålogaland Bridge progress.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ollo, OAQP, makaveli6 liked this post
Old July 30th, 2015, 12:05 PM   #3370
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
Local politicians are demanting that two of the four lanes is to be bus-lanes, something the Road administration has opposed (as there is not expected delays with four lanes open for all traffic). Traffic in the morning/evening rush is almost 50-50 in each direction, so there is never any extreme rushhour into Bergen in the mornings, and out of Bergen in the evening. Politicians in Bergen does´nt want a traffic increase into central Bergen tho. But seems like politicians is getting their will. Can´t really se why politicians on Sotra is also demanting this, as it will mean more people from the islands also sitting in ques. Daily traffic is expected at around 30 000 over the sound by opening of the new bridge, of which ca 6000 will use the old.
How about converting the old bridge into a bus or PT bridge and using the new one for everything else? That way everyone wins.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 07:46 PM   #3371
Gsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
How about converting the old bridge into a bus or PT bridge and using the new one for everything else? That way everyone wins.
That´s what I suggested in my last post, and what vegvesenet also has been thinking into. But an old bridge was in the eyes of the politicians a bad bridge, even tho it would mean no conflict with other traffic.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 12:58 PM   #3372
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19144

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This sounds like the Queensferry Crossing in Scotland. They are constructing a new large cable-stayed bridge because the old suspension bridge is in poor condition. Instead of tearing it down and construct the new bridge with six instead of four lanes, they underdesign the new bridge with four lanes and keep the old deteriorating bridge for buses. Imagine the maintenance cost of a large suspension bridge just for a few buses, which could easily used the new bridge with uncongested conditions nearly all the time.
From what I have read somewhere they managed to stop deterioration of the cables in the old bridge (which was the main reason for concern). Luckily it came to late to stop construction of the new bridge

So plans are for the new bridge to serve the bulk of the traffic including long distance traffic and HGVs and for the old bridge to be used by buses as well as local traffic. At least that's how I understand it. I haven't seen any proposals for closing old bridge to traffic and keeping it only for buses.

EDIT:
I checked again. You are right they are planning to keep the old bridge as a public transport bridge as well as cycling and walking.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:12 PM   #3373
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Visualization of the new E39 project south of Bergen

Here's a visualization of the new E39 project between Bergen (Rådal) and Os (in norwegian).

OAQP, riiga, Agent 006, mpeculea, Bjørne and 2 others liked this post
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 04:24 PM   #3374
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A possible new tunnel at Tromsø and a second bridge across the Sandnessund west of Tromsø.

Northon, Hansadyret, metasmurf liked this post
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:50 PM   #3375
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E136 Tresfjord Bridge

The Tresfjord Bridge, at 1290 m Norway's 6th longest bridge, will open to traffic on 24 October 2015.

metasmurf, Northon, riiga, Highway89 liked this post
Old August 21st, 2015, 07:39 PM   #3376
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E6 Trondheim - Stjørdal

Preliminary alignment of the new E6 motorway from Trondheim to near Stjørdal.

Hansadyret, Northon liked this post
Old August 21st, 2015, 09:13 PM   #3377
Gsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Preliminary alignment of the new E6 motorway from Trondheim to near Stjørdal.

Seems like Statens vegvesen and their consultants in Asplan Viak needs to check their sign plan. The section between Ranheim and Reitan closer to Trondheim, which is a bit further in planning, the video shows the road signed as an expressway, while this section is signed as a motorway.

Wonder what made them change their mind? Have`nt heard that anything is supposed to be done with the curvature of this section, and the video shows that there`s still very tight curves behind Hommelvik.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXkua4j-yvI
Old August 26th, 2015, 02:49 PM   #3378
OAQP

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
Seems like Statens vegvesen and their consultants in Asplan Viak needs to check their sign plan. The section between Ranheim and Reitan closer to Trondheim, which is a bit further in planning, the video shows the road signed as an expressway, while this section is signed as a motorway.

Wonder what made them change their mind? Have`nt heard that anything is supposed to be done with the curvature of this section, and the video shows that there`s still very tight curves behind Hommelvik.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXkua4j-yvI

I believe that the responsibility for building/planning this road will be the new road construction company, Nye Veier AS, and not Statens Vegvesen so I am not surprised that the information released by Statens Vegvesen is out of date.

Would be very interesting to see how Nye Veier will prioritise this road vis-à-vis the other roads in its portfolio. From what I understand, the new road construction company has been given quite a lot of autonomy in terms of planning and prioritisation. Hopefully, this will speed up the road-building process and ensure focus on rational motorway projects connecting the main parts of the country - not just expensive projects to save small rural communities.

Hansadyret liked this post
OAQP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #3379
Agent 006

Likes (Received): 180

E6 Melhus - Tiller

Finally the contract for building 8,1 km motorway (E6 Sentervegen - Jaktøyen) is announced. The winner will be chosen after 30. october, and construction starts in winter. The stretch is still scheduled for completion in 2018. Sadly, it's seems like they have removed the third lane in northbound direction between Klett and Sandmoen to save some money. That means that trucks won't get a climbing lane here. But I guess this lane could be added later.

http://www.vegvesen.no/Om+Statens+ve...Vis?key=985512

Last edited by Agent 006; August 26th, 2015 at 04:59 PM.
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #3380
Gsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 006 View Post
E6 Melhus - Tiller
Sadly, it's seems like they have removed the third lane in northbound direction between Klett and Sandmoen to save some money. That means that trucks won't get a climbing lane here. But I guess this lane could be added later.
Seems quite odd, not much money too save, as the road is(was) planned to be be built with a new railroad bridge across the new E6, and a twin-tube (2+3 lanes) culvert. Rocks and asphalt is`nt exactly expensive compared to steel and concrete. Unless the railroad bridge has gotten a shorter span, and the northbound part of the culvert only allow two lanes throug it. In that case a climbing lane will never be added in my opinion. Speed-limit is only supposed to be 80 km/h from what I know, so removing the climbing lane will be less of a problem than if the speed-limit was to be 100 or 110. Most trucks will be able to do 80 fine on a straight 7% incline.

Tags
norway