daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #3381
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

That the E6 no longer will be a motorway as roads further south with similar or less traffic and importance but a substandard 80 km/h road has been discussed here before but has generally been obscured from the public in my view. You really have to search hard on the vegvesen website to find a hint that the plan has been changed on this point. Hardly a coincidence.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #3382
Agent 006

Likes (Received): 180

This is a mess. They have H8-standard south of Klett, H9 between Klett and the railway bridge in Klettbakken (1,5 km) and H7 further north. The reason may be the 6% incline, when H9 demands 5%, even though I think they were allowed to make a deviation. Narrow shoulders also saves money, I guess. Miljøpakken demanded them to reduce costs because of exceedances in the project. E.g. the western part of the Klett-junction were replaced with a roundabout. But it's impossible to find an explanation for choosing H7 in any public document.

The removal of the climbing lane was on a list of possible cost-cuts. The project leader Aronsen has stated that this could be added later. This is of course ridiculous, I agree. The actual removal is claimed by a journalist in an Adressa-article 24.08.15 behind pay walls:
"I bakkene ned mot Klett, hadde E6 i utgangspunktet tre felt i nordgående retning. Krabbefeltet skal nå være ute av planen, et tiltak Melum (Regionsjef i Noregs Lastebileier-Forbund) karakteriserer som verken fremtidsrettet eller miljøvennlig".

Last edited by Agent 006; August 26th, 2015 at 11:33 PM.
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #3383
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Well. Trondheims glorious history of having standard breaks all over the place is now continued on for future generations to worry about. I don't think there is one continued standard on any road in this entire county. E 6 will have something like 6 or 7 different standards where a simple H9 the whole way could have done the job.

And a roundabout on E 39? Who just decided that such things were not to be on main trunk roads? Oh well. It'll be nice to look at when we've solved the problem with carbon emissions.

Agent 006 liked this post
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 08:42 PM   #3384
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

E39 Os - Bergen

Another large contract has been signed for the construction of the Os - Bergen motorway. This is a 2.3 billion kroner contract (€ 250 million).

The project includes the 9 kilometer long Lysehorn Tunnel.

http://www.vegvesen.no/Om+Statens+ve...Vis?key=997291

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Agent 006 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2015, 09:17 PM   #3385
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Sandfjord Bridge

The new Sandfjord Bridge will open to traffic on 27 November. The span will be completed next month.

Vegvesen calls it a world record bridge with a 290 m cantilevered main span, but there are three longer bridges of this type in Norway

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Northon, Stafangr liked this post
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:15 PM   #3386
skanny

Likes (Received): 1050

What's the exact location for the Sandfjord Bridge ? I googled it but I didn't find interesting informations about the project ...
skanny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:21 PM   #3387
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The location in OSM: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=5...59.4089/6.1245

skanny liked this post
Old September 1st, 2015, 02:22 PM   #3388
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Norwegian "Highway through hell" version on Nat Geo Mondays. In my biased opinion, way more interesting to watch heavy rescue on narrow Norwegian mountain roads than on 4-lane North American highways...

OAQP, Bjørne liked this post
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 12:41 PM   #3389
54°26′S 3°24′E

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanny View Post
What's the exact location for the Sandfjord Bridge ? I googled it but I didn't find interesting informations about the project ...
It's Sandsfjord, not to be confused with the more well-known city of Sandefjord, which is a port on the other side of the country (South-Eastern Norway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
Norwegian "Highway through hell" version on Nat Geo Mondays. In my biased opinion, way more interesting to watch heavy rescue on narrow Norwegian mountain roads than on 4-lane North American highways...
Ha, I missed that. Seems like they're offering this show only in Norway/Sweden right now, but they will extend to at least the rest of Europe later this year.

http://natgeotv.com/no/vinterveiens-...videos/vignett
(If you read the statistics, I do not really agree with the opening statement, though....)

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; September 2nd, 2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 01:58 PM   #3390
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
Ha, I missed that. Seems like they're offering this show only in Norway/Sweden right now, but they will extend to at least the rest of Europe later this year.
It is visible in Finland, too, but as a separate stream. I watched yesterday the opening episode. Interesting but somewhat too much childish American style. Every American story is a show where one or more heroes fight an almost impossible challenge. The hero wins dramatically during the last few minutes.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 09:27 PM   #3391
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Very American indeed, but I still think it's worth a peak!
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:59 PM   #3392
54°26′S 3°24′E

Speaking of "Highway Thru Hell...."

This is the real thing (especially Friday afternoon...)

(The first episode of "Ice Road Rescue", with the Norwegian title translating to "Heroes of the winter roads", will btw be sent for the third time this week tomorrow afternoon. I will save it to my box for some time later .....)

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; September 2nd, 2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 03:42 PM   #3393
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Construction on the E39 Os - Bergen motorway officially began today.

http://www.vegvesen.no/Om+Statens+ve...is?key=1003961

Hansadyret liked this post
Old September 3rd, 2015, 04:52 PM   #3394
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post

Very American indeed, but I still think it's worth a peak!
Agree.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 09:35 PM   #3395
54°26′S 3°24′E

Trivia of today

A year back, Norway's most famous athlete (amongst Norwegians), cross country skier Petter Northug, was drunk driving and crashed his Audi in Trondheim close to his home. Now somebody has identified a picture of the scene in Mission Impossible, where it is called the crash in Turkey where the Malawi president was killed. Funny thing, it was snow on the ground in Trondheim that morning.....

Bjørne, Þróndeimr liked this post
Old September 5th, 2015, 03:08 PM   #3396
OAQP

Likes (Received): 12

Statens Vegvesen has just published some pictures from the new E18 motorway under construction in Larvik in South-Eastern Norway. The road is 7 kilometres long and is scheduled to open in 2017. This section completes the E18 motorway in Vestfold after nearly 20 years of construction.

Render illustrating the new bridge across lake Farris

All pictures courtesy of Statens Vegvesen.

Highway89, metasmurf, VK liked this post
OAQP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #3397
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

One thing I react when it comes to motorways in Norway. All motorways in Norway have lights. They have even more lights than Belgium or the Netherlands. In Belgium and the Netherlands, it is because the towns are located close to each other, but they do not in Norway. Why is there so much lighting on motorways in Norway? All of that lights they have there must be extremely expensive.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 12:37 AM   #3398
Bjørne

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
One thing I react when it comes to motorways in Norway. All motorways in Norway have lights. They have even more lights than Belgium or the Netherlands. In Belgium and the Netherlands, it is because the towns are located close to each other, but they do not in Norway. Why is there so much lighting on motorways in Norway? All of that lights they have there must be extremely expensive.
Without knowing for certain, I'd say it's because of all the dense forests and risk of hitting wild animals. Well-lit highways may prevent serious injury as you see the hazard sooner.

tomPunk liked this post
Bjørne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #3399
tomPunk
neuropunk

Likes (Received): 1854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
1. Electricity is cheaper in Norway than in both Sweden, Denmark and in fact most of western Europe (mainly due to how much renewable hydroelectricity we have).
2. We have the dark period of the year (which Sweden also has, but lets face it, Norway as a whole is located slightly further north, including our most populated areas). The dusk and pre-dawn periods can sometimes make it hard to see clearly.
3. Climate (including fog, heavy rain, snow, hail, heavy winds, ice roads, etc) is more extreme in Norway and this on many occasions reduce visibility.
4. What Bjørne mentioned above.

I think these and a couple other reasons are the main ones. Apparently it was enough to make Statens Vegvesen (state road authority) decide that full motorways should always have lighting.

I've actually thought about the same thing a couple of times, but with sort of the opposite way of thought, why *don't* Sweden use lighting on so much of their motorways? Although I sort of already knew the answer, but...
I especially remember one time kind of late at night driving down the Swedish west coast towards Malmö, in early winter, and a while after passing Göteborg it started to get really foggy at some points. Driving at night with foggy motorways with max 15 meters of sight, slippery, and no lights along the road, wasn't my most enjoyable experience. Actually had one "close call" too, but fortunately it all went well in the end.

Hansadyret liked this post
tomPunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #3400
54°26′S 3°24′E

Most motorways in Norway is in southern part of southern Norway, not significantly further north than eg Stockholm when it comes to sunlight. In any case I do not agree that latitude is an argument. The sunlight you miss during winter as you go north you gain during summer, when traffic is heavier and snow on the ground does not help the light situation.

As already mentioned, according to the Norwegian road standards, motorways should have ordinary street lights, although the specified light level is somewhat lower than what is required in cities. There is however one exception: Possibly except the final sections past Mjøsa that opened this year, the rather new E6 motorway from Eidsvold (north of Oslo) to Kolomoen (south of Hamar) does not have full illumination, but instead has delineator posts with LEDs. This was a trial. I think this solution worked out quite well, but the reactions in the media and the general public have generally not be positive. Now it seems like the speed limit of this road will be raised to the new Norwegian maximum motorway speed limit of 110 km/h during summe only because of it is "substandard" illumination.

http://eub.no/nyheter/110-kmt-p-e6--...re-om-sommeren

As far as I know, the safety arguments for having full street lights on rural motorways are more anecdotal than well founded on science. Hence, I find it quite odd that it is illumination, and not the sometimes slippery conditions or narrow road shoulders that are used as an excuse to keep the speed limit down.

Even in Norway the use of traditional street lights is quite costly ( I have heard up to 100 kNOK ~= 11 k€ per km per year), although the energy use is decreasing with the improved LED technology.

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; September 6th, 2015 at 12:49 PM.

Tags
norway