daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #3461
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Fv. 557 Ringvei Vest, Bergen

The second phase of Fylkesvei 557, also known as the western ring road of Bergen opens to traffic on 12 November 2015. It is a motorway project to extend Fv. 557 to Rv. 555 west of Bergen. Most of the project is underground and part of the 7.2 kilometer long Knappe Tunnel. The western ring road will improve access to the southwestern part of Bergen, including the airport.

The 2. byggetrinn will open to traffic on 12 November:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH, Hansadyret, OAQP liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2015, 08:53 PM   #3462
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Folkedal Tunnel opens to traffic tomorrow. It is a 1360 meter long single-tube tunnel along county road 7. It is located along a side arm of the Hardanger Fjord, southwest of Granvin. The construction cost was 274 million kroner (€ 29.4 million).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY liked this post
Old November 12th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #3463
pedrofil

Likes (Received): 209

Ringveg vest officially opened at 3 pm today!

Also: here are the alternatives for new E39 over Stord!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g6_YIlxj8Q
pedrofil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 08:42 PM   #3464
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0UFGgDmAaQ

Video of the new E6 between Jaktøyen and Storler south of Trondheim. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the climbing-lane north of the intersection with E39 i gone, but as for the rest it looks very good. The culvert and railroad-bridge seems wide enough for a third lane, although I don`t see that being constructed - ever. The bridge leading westbound part of E39 is also wide enough for two lanes as can be seen in the film. Thats good, and in my opinion far more important to prioritize than a grade separated intersection between E39 and the local road network, as has been debated a lot locally. Speed limit seems to be 100 km/h up to the new railroad-bridge, where the shoulders get narrower and I`m guessing it will be reduced to 80.

A sad thing with this projects, just as for some other very important projects on the national road-network close to larger cities is that it`s put in a "city-package", where the tolls are paying for a lot of other projects in the the area. E16 in Sandvika was put on hold for a year because of lack of money, and I`m guessing that`s why the grade separated intersection on E39 and the climbing lane is removed from the plans.

For the section further up to Heimdal, which will be built at the same time theres a video out from 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIN_6NBnRgQ

Agent 006 liked this post
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #3465
Agent 006

Likes (Received): 180

Looks good. Probably not 100 km/h south of this stretch though, since it's might be a horizontal curve of 500 just north of Melhus. 20 m roads could have curves of 450 m if they were constructed between 2002 and 2008, as this one was (opened in 2005) But I might be wrong.
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 01:11 AM   #3466
Gsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 006 View Post
Looks good. Probably not 100 km/h south of this stretch though, since it's might be a horizontal curve of 500 just north of Melhus. 20 m roads could have curves of 450 m if they were constructed between 2002 and 2008, as this one was (opened in 2005) But I might be wrong.
It would be natural to keep the 100km-strech as long as the road will be four laned, so I'm guessing they will raise the speed-limit a bit further south, as it will be natural to resign road as a motorway to the Melhus-intersection.

A slight correction :-) A minimum of 450-curves on 100 km/h-roads is accepted for all roads with a zoning-plan approved before then handbook-017 was revised in 2008. If a zoning-plan was not accepted by then, 700m would be counting, and non-finished plans would have had to be redrawn. But theres nothing wrong with resigning roads with these smalles curves to 100km/h, but they just wont be planned and then built anymore. Theres actually a road under construction in Norway today with a planned speed-limit of 100km/h that will have a 450m curve, with a 550m contra-curve.

Agent 006, devo liked this post
Old November 25th, 2015, 12:39 PM   #3467
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Sandsfjord Bridge that opens to traffic on Friday:
Old November 26th, 2015, 02:53 PM   #3468
OAQP

Likes (Received): 12

Ringvei Vest - Signposted as Motorway?

Does anyone know if this road is signposted as Motorway? What is the speed limit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The second phase of Fylkesvei 557, also known as the western ring road of Bergen opens to traffic on 12 November 2015. It is a motorway project to extend Fv. 557 to Rv. 555 west of Bergen. Most of the project is underground and part of the 7.2 kilometer long Knappe Tunnel. The western ring road will improve access to the southwestern part of Bergen, including the airport.

The 2. byggetrinn will open to traffic on 12 November:
OAQP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 04:54 PM   #3469
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
The Sandsfjord Bridge that opens to traffic on Friday:
There are projects, which I do not always understand. The 10-minute ferry connection Sand-Ropeid is replaced by a new route being 30 kilometers longer.

vladarh liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #3470
Þróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2268

Developers of Trondheimsfjordbrua expect construction start withinn two years if everything goes as planned. The bridge will be a combined floating and suspension bridge, 6700m in lenght, a 700m wide main span with 90m clearance below. The bridge is expected to have a price tag just below 1 billion euros.

http://www.fosna-folket.no/nyheter/2...r-11855515.ece

ChrisZwolle liked this post
Þróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #3471
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
There are projects, which I do not always understand. The 10-minute ferry connection Sand-Ropeid is replaced by a new route being 30 kilometers longer.
What about it don't you understand?
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 11:16 PM   #3472
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafangr View Post
What about it don't you understand?
About nothing. Investment cost 80 million euro, AADT 450, negative time saving.

Yes, I know that the state of Norway calculates the infrastructure investments using some cosmic math and non-euclidean geometry, which we average people just cannot understand.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 03:18 PM   #3473
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The new bridge is indeed quite a detour for east-west traffic. North-south traffic benefits more, the ferry has a half hour schedule. I'm guessing it was built mainly to improve traffic from Sauda to Stavanger. There is some kind of plant in Sauda. Sand will lose the most connectivity if the ferry is discontinued. Other places in eastern Suldal are more like spread out houses than actual villages or towns.
Old November 27th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #3474
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Sandsfjord Bridge

Two more photos of the Sandsfjord Bridge that opened to traffic today. It has a 290 m main span and is at maximum 73 m above the water. The bridge construction cost was 236 million kroner (€ 25.6 million). (location)

Old November 27th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #3475
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 265

The main financial argument for building a bridge as costly as this one in such a rural area, is that it replaces a ferry-connection. When the cost and savings are calculated, they include the cost of subsidies to the ferry for a number of years.

This bridge will also make the north-eastern part of Ryfylke (traditional district) "landfast", as this region is cut off from Haugesund (and Stavanger) by fjords. When Ryfast is completed, there will be only one ferry-crossing left in mainland Ryfylke.
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #3476
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Lærdal Tunnel

The Lærdal Tunnel turns 15 today. The world's longest highway tunnel (24509 m) opened on 27 November 2000.

E16 Laerdal Tunnel-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

E16 Laerdal Tunnel-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

8166UY, Zagor666, tomPunk, SRC_100 liked this post
Old December 9th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #3477
pedrofil

Likes (Received): 209

Government chooses "K5" alternative for Arna - Voss

The government has chosen the "K5" alternative between Arna (Bergen) and Voss.

This is combi rail and road development, like the future Ringeriksbanen and the recently completed E6/Dovrebanen along Mjøsa. It will be completed in two stages: Arna - Stanghelle and Stanghelle - Voss.

According to Statens Vegvesen and Jernbaneverket the planning process will be initiated ASAP, and they expect to "put the shovel in the ground" as soon as the double-track from Bergen to Arna is completed. It's a state plan with full support locally from all (?) local political parties, and affected municipalities, so I expect the only potential hinderance or delay for this project could be national prioritization for other projects (like E39) or technical difficulties.

Travel times for Arna - Voss will be,
train: 24 minutes (reduced from 63 min.)
road: 46 minutes (reduced from 72 min.)

Old December 9th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #3478
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

How much km are in between? I wonder as it will take 46 mins...
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #3479
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I drove that segment of E16 last year. It's pretty busy out of Bergen, but traffic volumes drop substantially after each village, especially past Trengereid where County Road 7 splits off. It's a very nice road to drive in a 'cruise' mode, you can drive long distances in the highest gear without having to slow down for roundabouts, villages or traffic lights. It's one of the few stretches where I managed to get a fuel consumption of 4 L / 100 km (petrol car).

But E16 is frequently blocked due to landslides. Are there still plans for the tunnel from Bergen to Arna that will cut the distance into Bergen by half or more?
Old December 9th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #3480
Gsus

Quote:
Are there still plans for the tunnel from Bergen to Arna that will cut the distance into Bergen by half or more?
Basicly no. Until some years ago there was, but the Nygårdstangen intersection in centrail Bergen would become even more congested during rush-hour, and Bergen is having serious problems with air-pollution during winters.

Recent plans are to build a motorway east of Bergen (Fjøsanger-Indre Arna-Vågsbotn) to get the through-traffic around the city, and not having everyone coming either to norther or southern part of the city going right through the more central parts of Bergen. In my opinion, a much better solution than the old plan for the Arna tunnel.

I mean that the railroad between Arna and Bergen should still be the fastest link in from the east to reduce congestions as much as possible, as there`s no road parallell today. Building the Arna tunnel will also affect to much of the other main roads in central Bergen too, as if they were not congested enough.

Tags
norway