daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2016, 07:21 PM   #3521
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

E6 across Saltfjellet, Nordland

Saltfjellet by Helgemainn

Available in HD.

Luki_SL liked this post
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:01 AM   #3522
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Hi guys!
Do you know why Google Maps routes like this, which is 1 hour slower, than this?

I'm currently researching a route between Bergen and Trondheim, with stops in Flam, Borgund, Alesund, Geiranger, Trollstigen, Atlantic road, Kristiansund.
Should I consider something else? You have some recommendations?
Before getting there, my plan would be to fly to Oslo, then to Stavanger, then fly to Bergen. Looks much faster than driving and not expensive.

Renting a car in Norway is pretty expensive. I would consider flying to Lofoten and drive 2 days around, then drive to Tromso, but I don't know, just for that, hiring another car is kind of expensive.
Alternative would be to the drive from Trondheim but it's around 9 hours, and the costs I researched for the car would be around 1000€, large extra costs, because I would fly back to Oslo from the North.

This is I don't have more than 2 weeks for this trip
I agree with the rest, it would probably be best to reduce the scope of the trip if you only have two weeks, unless you are very fond of driving. Flying is an efficient way of getting between cities, but then you will miss the scenery.

My favorite route between Bergen and Trondheim, and the shortest in distance, is via Øvre Årdal and Sognefjellet (rv 55), but then you will miss eg Geiranger. There is no way you get from Trondheim to Lofoten in 9 hours, with non - stop driving you will perhaps reach Bodø.

And Chris, personally I find straight roads more challenging than winding ones, as it takes more effort to keep concentrated for hours with the former, but perhaps it is a cultural thing ;-)
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:56 AM   #3523
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
And Chris, personally I find straight roads more challenging than winding ones, as it takes more effort to keep concentrated for hours with the former, but perhaps it is a cultural thing ;-)
I drove in Norway this summer, mostly on Fv 17 and I got mentally exhausted having to be super focused all the time because of narrow roads, curves, hills, slow down for oncoming traffic etc. It's just a totally different way of driving than what I'm used to.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 01:20 PM   #3524
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Quote:
There is no way you get from Trondheim to Lofoten in 9 hours, with non - stop driving you will perhaps reach Bodø.
Yes, you're right, I actually looked at the road to Bodø.

Anyway, I revised my plan, and came up with this:
  • Munich-Oslo (morning) + Oslo + Nighttrain to Stavanger
  • Stavanger + Pulpit Rock
  • Stavanger-Bergen (by plane or bus) + Bergen
  • Bergen
  • Bergen-Flam-Myrdal-Borgund-Fossbergom
  • Fossbergom-Geiranger-Trollstigen-Alesund
  • Alesund-Atlantic Road-Trondheim
  • Trondheim
  • Trondheim-Tromso (morning flight) + Tromso
  • Tromso + Tromso-Oslo (evening flight)
  • Oslo
  • Oslo
  • Oslo-Munich (morning flight)

I think I could try to split the 3 day roadtrip into 4 days somehow to make the whole think more relaxed and leave just 2 days for Oslo.

Or I could give up on Tromso. I looked at pictures from there, not sure if the city is so impressive.
It also adds pretty much extra costs because of the extra flight.
But I could consider going there in the winter?

Last edited by cinxxx; January 24th, 2016 at 01:26 PM.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #3525
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

If you want to see aurora borealis (northern lights) then Tromsø is a good location, as long as there isn't a big weather system moving in. My brother took a winter road trip to the North Cape last month and he had some pretty poor weather, they could only see the aurora borealis a few times.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:15 PM   #3526
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Yes, you're right, I actually looked at the road to Bodø.

Anyway, I revised my plan, and came up with this:
  • Munich-Oslo (morning) + Oslo + Nighttrain to Stavanger
  • Stavanger + Pulpit Rock
  • Stavanger-Bergen (by plane or bus) + Bergen
  • Bergen
  • Bergen-Flam-Myrdal-Borgund-Fossbergom
  • Fossbergom-Geiranger-Trollstigen-Alesund
  • Alesund-Atlantic Road-Trondheim
  • Trondheim
  • Trondheim-Tromso (morning flight) + Tromso
  • Tromso + Tromso-Oslo (evening flight)
  • Oslo
  • Oslo
  • Oslo-Munich (morning flight)

I think I could try to split the 3 day roadtrip into 4 days somehow to make the whole think more relaxed and leave just 2 days for Oslo.

Or I could give up on Tromso. I looked at pictures from there, not sure if the city is so impressive.
It also adds pretty much extra costs because of the extra flight.
But I could consider going there in the winter?
To be honest, this looks an ADHD class agenda. A lot of rushing across the country but less enjoying it.

I recommend concentrating into one focus area, such as the SW Norway. Then build an agenda around the sights you would like to see. Do not make the agenda too tight but keep it flexible.

How about this Oslo-based skeleton agenda for 7-10 days:

Oslo-Telemark-Dalen-Sirdal-Prekestolen-Røldal-Bergen-Eidslandet-Voss-Flåm-Aurlandvegen-Laerdal-Borgund-Tyinkrysset-Øvre Årdal-Turtagrø-Sognefjell-Geiranger-Trollstigen-Raumadalen-Valdres-Oslo.

It would give a very good overview what Norway is about, and it leads to many top highlights.

cinxxx liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:26 PM   #3527
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Thanks for the suggestion.

Your plan actually looks good. I would add the Atlantic road to it though.
But you have around 2500 km there, doing that in 10 days with no motorways, maybe not so easy .
An alternative to it would be to pay a little more, leave the car for example in Kristianshund or Alesund, and fly back to Oslo. That would save around 900 km driving...

EDIT: We will see in the end how we will do it.
Rushing around is not such a big deal for us and may sound better than 10 days driving completely non-motorways.
We don't have a clear date yet, only that it would be in July.
My only fear is that it could rain a lot and then it would suck...

Last edited by cinxxx; January 24th, 2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #3528
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Expect rain, or you'll be disappointed, Bergen has rain almost every day.
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:55 PM   #3529
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Some valleys in Norway are really dry though. Bergen has an annual precipitation of 2250 mm, while Otta, only 275 km away as the crow flies, has an annual precipitation of 375 mm, which is less than Valencia or Málaga.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:25 PM   #3530
54°26′S 3°24′E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
If you want to see aurora borealis (northern lights) then Tromsø is a good location, as long as there isn't a big weather system moving in. My brother took a winter road trip to the North Cape last month and he had some pretty poor weather, they could only see the aurora borealis a few times.
Even in Troms(ø) the brightness will of course also be dependent on the solar wind activity. http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-...-the-kp-index/

Personally I think Northern Norway is the most spectacular part of Scandinavia, but it is called remote for a reason, and as a tourist it is almost pointless to rush through in a couple of days. If you are short on time during your Norway visit, focus on a single region and skip the cities. If you are worried about high car rental costs, notice that Norway is only a couple of hours away from Denmark via ferry. As Chris indicates, the summer climate is generally somewhat dryer in the south - east of the country, but that's not where you find spectacular fjords or the wildest mountains.

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; January 24th, 2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:58 PM   #3531
54°26′S 3°24′E

Quote:
Some valleys in Norway are really dry though. Bergen has an annual precipitation of 2250 mm, while Otta, only 275 km away as the crow flies, has an annual precipitation of 375 mm, which is less than Valencia or Málaga.
The differences can in fact be even more extreme.

The driest place in Norway is Skjåk, which actually west of Otta, with only 278 mm precipitation. The wettest place is Brekke at the Sognefjorden, 163 km away, with 3575 mm. In comparison Oslo has around 700 and Trondheim around 900. For a tourist probably the number of rainy days is of higher interest. Here the tendency is the same, but generally the rain is less intense the further north you get.

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; January 24th, 2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:02 PM   #3532
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Expect rain, or you'll be disappointed, Bergen has rain almost every day.
The long term average is about 230 rainy days a year. If there is a shower of five minutes, the day is counted a rainy day.

Anyway, the Bergen fish market is always worth a visit, whether it rains or not.

(For many years ago, there was a conference for IT professionals in Bergen. A group of gentlemen, I do not reveal the nationality, had had a long evening and night in the hotel bar. The gentlemen walked to the conference hall over the Fish Market, and one of the group got suddenly hungry. He bought a round bread with vegetables. The bread was too hard to eat, and the happy owner thought it was deep frozen, and he put it into his pocket to melt. After a while, the bread started moving in the pocket. At the closer look, it was not a bread at all. It was a living crab, and vegetables were the legs of the crab.)

cinxxx liked this post
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #3533
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I the cities if it rains for a few hours, it's not such a big deal, you find somewhere to hide, you can even walk if it doesn't rain heavily.
But it would be crap if it would rain for example when I would like to hike to Preikestolen or drive on Trollstigen, Geiranger, Atlantic road.

But I don't want to keep this thread off-topic
Old January 25th, 2016, 12:39 AM   #3534
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Which time of the year were we talking about?

If summer, there obviously aren't any northern lights visible in Tromsø. If winter, then Trollstigen (part of cinxxx' plan) is out of question.
Old January 25th, 2016, 01:08 AM   #3535
54°26′S 3°24′E

Quote:
I the cities if it rains for a few hours, it's not such a big deal, you find somewhere to hide, you can even walk if it doesn't rain heavily.
But it would be crap if it would rain for example when I would like to hike to Preikestolen or drive on Trollstigen, Geiranger, Atlantic road.

But I don't want to keep this thread off-topic
That's why you need some more days. However, with only good weather (or clothing incompatible with typical Norwegian conditions) you will never understand the Norwegian psychology ;-)
There is no such thing as bad weather

The same saying in Norwegian - English comes here at 3:50...
Old January 25th, 2016, 01:23 AM   #3536
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I read that saying on some blog too
We will definitely buy and bring some wind and water proof clothes with us.
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:04 AM   #3537
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I want to drive to Nordkap and Kirkenes, than back via Sweden or Filand+ferry. I need time for that, though, even driving straight ahead to Kirkenes via Sweden takes 3100km, which, to become not very tiresome, require 3 1/2 days of driving. And then some other 10-12 days to explore Norway, such as the Northern cities, the coastal Rv17 road, and the fjords in the center of the country, plus 2 days to drive home, so it is a 3-week trip (and an expensive one, hotels in the Northern cities are expensive, in some places even during winter (Hammerfest or Honningsvág) as I checked (though I'd obviously not go on a driving trip to the Arctic in winter).
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:44 AM   #3538
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
That's why you need some more days. However, with only good weather (or clothing incompatible with typical Norwegian conditions) you will never understand the Norwegian psychology ;-)
There is no such thing as bad weather

The same saying in Norwegian - English comes here at 3:50...
Is that the guy who recorded that mildly annoying "what does the fox say" song?

anyway, keeping the off-topic: I read some months ago that certain Norwegian schools, with a more "keep kids in contact with nature" philosophy, have 2 or 3 periods per week when students get out to some nearby wood/park, no matter the weather, be it rain or snow, unless they want to stay indoors which is discouraged. I read this applies to kids as young as 6 years old.
Old January 25th, 2016, 11:21 AM   #3539
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

^ We had to go out 5 times per day for 10 minutes, unless it was colder than -10 celsius.

My kids get cranky if they haven't been outside for a day. In kindergarden they are outside atleast one hour aswell.
Old January 25th, 2016, 04:13 PM   #3540
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Which time of the year were we talking about?

If summer, there obviously aren't any northern lights visible in Tromsø. If winter, then Trollstigen (part of cinxxx' plan) is out of question.
Even during winter, the northern lights are barely visible in any city. The light pollution kills the very delicate light from the auroras. That is why the best spotting places are 50+ kilometers apart cities and bigger villages.

There are a number of things to do for preparations:

1) Get warm clothes. Really warm, and do not forget warm shoes with a thick bottom. The cold nights are the best for spotting.

2) Time and luck are needed. Even if the probability to see auroras is high in the north, they are not there every night.

3) Join some mailing list of aurora watchers. The links to the forecast sites are useful.

4) The best auroras usually appear before midnight.

5) If you want to take photos, take spare batteries with you and keep them as close to your body as possible to keep them warm. If your camera supports raw mode then learn on how to take and tune raw photos.

Tags
norway