daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2016, 09:56 PM   #3981
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

What kind of rock is normally found on all those fjord tunnels? The drilling speed is quite fast, so I'm assuming it is nothing saturated with water? How high/low water tables normally are in Norway?

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2016, 01:16 AM   #3982
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

If you get deep enough, the rock quality is usually fairly good in Norway. Hence, tunnels are usually blasted, not bored, and the rock is normally fairly tight. Many fjords have a fairly thick layer of gravel/sand/clay, though, brought there throug the millenia by rivers and glaciers. I have not bothered to check this particular project. Of course, anything submarine is below the "water table" so the tunnel has to be constructed as water tight as possible and whatever that is still drizzling in will have to be pumped out.

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; July 2nd, 2016 at 01:24 AM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 09:56 AM   #3983
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Undersea tunnels tend to go quite a bit under the seabed. The Boknafjord Tunnel maximum depth is -392 m, while the seabed is not deeper than -300 m.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2016, 04:04 PM   #3984
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Fylkesvei 55, Sognefjellet, part III

Part III of Fv. 55 across Sognefjellet.

1. The west side of Sognefjellet is generally steeper, it drops more abruptly to Sognefjord.

Fylkesvei 55 Sognefjellet-26 by European Roads, on Flickr

Fylkesvei 55 Sognefjellet-27 by European Roads, on Flickr

3. Sogndal is still 80 - 90 minutes of driving.

Fylkesvei 55 Sognefjellet-28 by European Roads, on Flickr

Fylkesvei 55 Sognefjellet-29 by European Roads, on Flickr

Fylkesvei 55 Sognefjellet-30 by European Roads, on Flickr

Fylkesvei 55 Sognefjellet-31 by European Roads, on Flickr

Fylkesvei 55 Sognefjellet-32 by European Roads, on Flickr

Fylkesvei 55 Sognefjellet-33 by European Roads, on Flickr

Fylkesvei 55 Sognefjellet-34 by European Roads, on Flickr

Fylkesvei 55 Sognefjellet-35 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old July 4th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #3985
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Fv. 63 Trollstigen

I made a video of famous Trollstigen near Åndalsnes. Enjoy.

Old July 6th, 2016, 10:38 AM   #3986
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E6 Hålogaland Bridge

The first pilot cable of the Hålogaland suspension bridge will be crossing the Rombaksfjord tomorrow. This will start the construction of the main span across the fjord, starting with a catwalk. The construction of the bridge deck is very fast with suspension bridges, the bridge is planned for completion next year.

webcam screenshot:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

OAQP, pai nosso, Highway89 liked this post
Old July 6th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #3987
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E16 Øye - Eidsbru

Construction started today on a new stretch of E16 in Valdres, east of Filefjell. They will build a new alignment and construct the 2.1 kilometer long Rødøl Tunnel. It will be completed by late 2018.

It will bypass this part of E16:

E16 Filefjell-6 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old July 10th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #3988
Mathias Olsen

Likes (Received): 149

Status update of the new E134 bypass Kongsberg of the new 2x2 motorway Kongsberg-Drammen and part of the Bergen/Haugesund/Stavanger-Oslo transport corridor.

New Kongsberg tunnel of motorway E134 Kongsberg-Drammen.

Before the end of September 2016, it is expected, the Kongsberg 2x2 motorway tunnel will be completed. The tunnel has a length of 856 m. Mid June, 431 m already had been completed.

A bridge has already been completed.

A bridge at Majorplassen will be tested again after an accident with a similar bridge on E6.

Interchange near Diseplass

Ministry of Transport has given NPRA clear signals that E134 in the work of the next National Transport Plan (NTP) shall be implemented as the main way between eastern and western Norway. It is encouraging that the section west of Kongsberg is also 2x2 motorway. That feeds the hope that more sections of Bergen-Drammen (if not all) will be full 2x2 motorway in future.
The new Kongsberg bypass costs NOK 900 million, NOK 800 million from the toll company, 100 million comes from the state.

Luki_SL, Stavros86, berlinwroclaw liked this post

Last edited by Mathias Olsen; July 10th, 2016 at 09:32 PM.
Mathias Olsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 12:43 AM   #3989
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Generally, a road with roundabouts is not considered a motorway.

Mathias Olsen, berlinwroclaw liked this post
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #3990
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Well... There may my conflicting opinions around that case.

In my opinion, the most interesting part of Geiranger is not Geiranger itself, but the hairpin roads leading there (and to Dalsnibba). Hopefully there will be wisdom enough to retain the current road even if the tunnel road were built.
Absolutely agree here, it's the roads and not the town itself that make Geiranger an interesting place to visit. Apart from the roads or ferry leading into the town I would never bother just visitng the the town, it's a highly priced town with too many people and not enough decent places to eat, and there are other more interesting fjords to visit not to far away.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 10:01 AM   #3991
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

If you want something similar to Trollstigen but with less tourists, I would recommend the climb down Gaularfjellet towards Sognefjorden on Fv 13. When I drove pass a few weeks ago there were workers there constructing a viewpoint.

Photo taken by me.

gr_kanev, pai nosso, berlinwroclaw liked this post
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 07:48 PM   #3992
Mathias Olsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Generally, a road with roundabouts is not considered a motorway.
Yes, roundabouts are not at all in a motorway. The bypass of Kongsberg consists of 2 parts with 4-lane motorway parameters, connected by a local road with 3 roundabouts. Such as this roundabout, opened on July 1st 2016 at Trollerudmoen:

Traffic doesn't justify a motorway bypass now, only when more E134 upgrades will be available. It is more cost effective to build the more expensive 4-lane tunnels and motorway interchanges now, than add them later. Later the connecting local road can be replaced by a motorway section.

berlinwroclaw liked this post
Old July 12th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #3993
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
If you want something similar to Trollstigen but with less tourists, I would recommend the climb down Gaularfjellet towards Sognefjorden on Fv 13. When I drove pass a few weeks ago there were workers there constructing a viewpoint.
It was recently completed:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

OAQP, metasmurf liked this post
Old July 12th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #3994
Mathias Olsen

Progress new E134 Aarhus-Gvammen tunnel

The new tunnel between Aarhus and Gvammen will make the E134 between Western Norway and Oslo 18 minutes shorter. On July 4th, 2016, the tunnel had already a length of 6,538 km of 9,354 km, the seventh longest tunnel of Norway. According to the planning, the new section will be ready in 2019. When the new E134 section near Rauland will be ready, this tunnel will be for local traffic to Seljord.

Photo Av Peter Fiskerstrand - Eget verk, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=44723679

After some problems with water in the tunnel, there is now an injection rig (left on photo) to seal for water.

There is also progress with a river bridge.

pai nosso, Stavros86, berlinwroclaw liked this post
Old July 13th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #3995
berlinwroclaw
Kamienna

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
If you want something similar to Trollstigen but with less tourists, I would recommend the climb down Gaularfjellet towards Sognefjorden on Fv 13.
Photo is great and the view is very nice. However for a foreign tourist there are more awesome mountain areas in the Alps, easier to reach by motorway and much better affordable.
The unique tourist attraction is not high mountains with snow, but fjords, silent areas and the relaxed and high developed culture.
Another thing is that most tourists have a wife and kids, and they not always want to follow steep hills and long distance narrow roads.
To improve this, some infrastructure is necessary, including motorways in the direction of Trondheim, Haukeli (E134), and some additional improvements: better infrastructure to the fjords, especially Geiranger and Sognefjorden.
Old July 14th, 2016, 12:06 AM   #3996
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Um well ... I don't need motorways to reach your "silent areas" as fast as possible.

Funny too, that so many people come from Italy to such a remote, expensive and bad-to-reach Norway, isn't it?

Finally, I recommend Aursjøvegen
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 12:44 AM   #3997
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

I absolutely agree, if I'm just a tourist, I prefer minor roads to motorways - even in places like Denmark, Germany, England or Spain. The road and what you experience is an important part of the Journey. That said, I do support a true improvement of our major road network and more modest improvements on regional roads.

On a slightly different note... There is a significant change happening in regards to our road network at the moment: more priority roads are introduced both inside, but mainly outside urban areas. The majority of roads in Norway have been priority-from-the-right, even when the main road intersects a very minor one. Of course, most numbered highways (but certainly not all) have already been given a yellow-diamond priority status. Now, with more roads being given priority, I do believe driving in Norway will become more in accordance with what most people consider reasonable - not least foreign tourists accustomed with clear priority regulations in intersections.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 11:23 AM   #3998
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Priority-to-the-right on major roads?
I have travelled a few thousand km on Norwegian roads but don't remember much of that.
It is more common in housing areas, isn't it?
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #3999
devo

Likes (Received): 41

If you're not on a priority road you must yield to the right. Now most roads also have a name, so you're sure that it's a proper road. (I.e., you don't have to yield to an access road coming from a field.)
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #4000
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Alps are not that affordable. For example many mountain roads in Austria charge hefty fees, the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße in Austria will cost you € 35 to drive. The Silvretta-Hochalpenstraße costs € 15 and Timmelsjoch € 16. Switzerland doesn't have this kind of fees, but is generally a more expensive country to stay in (similar to Norway). On the other hand, camping in Norway is much cheaper than in Italy or popular locations in France or Spain. But if you travel more luxurious in hotels and dining out every night, then it's quite expensive.

People go to Norway with a different tourist-mindset than those going to Italy or France. Tourists driving to Norway tend to move around from place to place, as opposed to people staying 2-3 weeks in a mobile home on the Riviera or Dordogne. Then the lack of motorways isn't much of a problem for tourists. In fact, it's an asset, you'll see much more when driving on two-lane roads, the tunnels already deprive motorists of some of the view.

So the lack of motorways shouldn't be a concern for tourist purposes. In Norway, travelling is part of the tourist experience, as opposed to France or Italy where travel is just a way to get to your destination as fast as possible.

berlinwroclaw, Heico-M liked this post

Tags
norway