daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #401
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
The Rendalen road is around 7 km shorter, as you said, which normally equals around 5 minutes. However, both the engines I have tried says that the road through Storelvdal/Alvdal (Rv 3) is about 6 minutes shorter. I wonder why. Anyway, Rendalen is not, and will probably never be the favored truck route, unless something is done with the 700+ m altitude pass behind the Tron mountain.
It's a bit difficult to understand this, unless it operates under the old speed limit regime. However, the pass between Rendalen and Tynset (you sure it's 700 metres?) will slow you down a bit and, of course, make the road unattractive to lorry drivers. But generally, the road is quite good, and since it's really quiet, I've always been able to cut a few minutes off the travel time. Don't expect too many truck stops along the way, though, even filling stations are in short supply between Rena and rv 30.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #402
ElviS77

The new national budget was presented yesterday, with promises of at least a bit more road construction (a budget increase of 10+% compared to 2008). Several new projects will be started in 2009, mainly in more rural areas. They're also apparently fighting to keep a few existing toll road projects (notably the 2-to-4-lane widening of the E6 Jessheim-Kolomoen) on track so that there won't be a sudden discontinuation of construction when Jessheim-Dal and Skaberud-Kolomoen opens next autumn.
Old October 12th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #403
ElviS77

Quote:
However, you maybe right, they will perhaps be able to introduce new numbering first, and it would be a good reform if it does not turn to costly. Hopefully, they can simultaneously declassify some of the green roads; currently I believe there are quite a few that does not deserve this status.
Reading the latest Vegvesen online magazine ("Vegen og vi") cleared up a few things, at least. The reform will classify the current "stamveger" (trunk roads) plus a few hundred kms of other roads as "riksveger" (national roads). The remainder of the current "riksveger" will, come 2010, be classified as "fylkesveger" (county roads), since the new regions don't seem to be happening anytime soon. Still no news on the numbering scheme, though.
Old October 14th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #404
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

I think the reform is a mistake.
1. They are diluting the trunk road designation even further
2. They are leaving most of the national roads, some of which are in terribly condition, to the counties. The counties generally have a very poor record when it comes to financing new roads and keeping up the old ones (or keeping up anything, in facgt), partly, perhaps, because they are underfinanced. However, the national government effectively can now say that the former national roads are no longer their responsibility.
Old October 15th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #405
ElviS77

Quote:
I think the reform is a mistake.
1. They are diluting the trunk road designation even further
2. They are leaving most of the national roads, some of which are in terribly condition, to the counties. The counties generally have a very poor record when it comes to financing new roads and keeping up the old ones (or keeping up anything, in facgt), partly, perhaps, because they are underfinanced. However, the national government effectively can now say that the former national roads are no longer their responsibility.
The trunk road designation is apparently disappearing altogether, since they will be the only national roads left. In my opinion, a reform is needed - too many unimportant roads are national, too many important are county or local - but I'm rather sceptical about this one. I'm not too worried about the national roads, they will be funded (if not necessarily enough...), but - as you say - the counties' record leaves a lot to be desired, and several key roads are to become county responsibility.

Still, I'm somewhat in the dark, since the busiest city links, like (at least part of) the rv 109, 110 and 111 in the Sarpsborg/Fredrikstad area are supposed to remain national roads, even though they cannot be considered as main thouroughfares, as are important airport or port links. I'm also wondering whether the national design standards will remain, or if the counties will be allowed to introduce their own.
Old October 19th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #406
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

I´m familiar with the problem. If Norway (or any other europian country) would started building good standard ways,....let´s say from the 60´
and only a 100 km /year It wouldn´t have been a big money but today it would have been a network of 1000s of kms of good standart ways even motorways. Mostly Central european and eastern countries I´m talking about.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #407
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Oslo is soon to be connected to the rest of Europe by motorway:

The last 12 km of the 63 km long E6 trough Ĝstfold opens 24. November, Ĝstfold will then be the first county with motorway all the way trough. Most of the road was 2-lane express-way with deadly accidents every year, they have built 2 new lanes parallel to the old road. Project includes new bus-stops, rest stops, artwork, a new 1,5 km Sandesund bridge, new connecting roads. E6 connects Ĝstfolds 3 urban areas as well as being Norways main road to Europe. There are two-way toll stations on both E6 and parallel roads on border with Sweden and Akershus.

And next year, only missing piece of 12,5 km between Oslo city limits and Sweden in Akershus county will then be opened in fall 2009:

Trough Bohuslän in Sweden we can drive on motorway in 2012, and then Oslo will be connected to Europe by motorway:

Old October 27th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #408
denvise
Den vise!

Likes (Received): 0

Why should we(Swedes) pay for your motorways? And still most Norwiegens are very anti-Sweden.
denvise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #409
Marsupilami

Likes (Received): 11344

Norway Highways look very chilean...
Marsupilami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #410
Grauthue

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by denvise View Post
Why should we(Swedes) pay for your motorways? And still most Norwiegens are very anti-Sweden.
No, no. You're paying so that people from Gothenburg more easily can travel to the great city of Oslo in the fantastic country of Norway. Well worth your money

As far as the anti-Swedish sentiment goes; that's new to me. Although nothing is more important that beating the Swedes in sport events. But at least it's a friendly kind of hate

(for some reason beating e.g. Danes or Finns in sports does not give the same level of satisfaction)
Grauthue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #411
NorthWesternGuy
Yes, I do.

Likes (Received): 588

More pictures, please
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #412
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Glad to see the E6 is being completed. Oh how I wish the E18 to the border was being upgraded to motorway too, makes me sad to see that some parts actually have been upgraded but the 'upgrade' was just to make it a bit wider and 80 km/h...
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #413
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

From Melleby to Ĝrje is 2 lane expressway with 90 km/h limit and no center divider. From Ĝrje to the border will only be widened i think. Rest of the road is planned as narrow 4 lane motorway. Next building steps will only start if the locals accepts more toll stations, so no one knows when E18 will be finished. The Akershus part is very uncertain when will be built aswell, their still negotiating diferent alternatives with the locals...

Last edited by Ingenioren; October 29th, 2008 at 01:07 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:31 AM   #414
54°26′S 3°24′E

The remaining bits of E18 east of Oslo, are important, but, at least east of Melleb, is less important than many other stretches in Norway with inferior quality. The Stockholm-Oslo traffic is quite low, and most of the traffic across the border is actually Norwegians searching for cheap bacon....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
The trunk road designation is apparently disappearing altogether, since they will be the only national roads left.
That is merely a change of nomeclature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
In my opinion, a reform is needed - too many unimportant roads are national, too many important are county or local - but I'm rather sceptical about this one. I'm not too worried about the national roads, they will be funded (if not necessarily enough...)
The problem is, either you call them trunk roads or national roads, there is too many of them, and as such is harming the original idea of the trunk roads. These roads should not connect any town with more than 20 000 people, as the new guidelines says, but provide a main framework that connect the different regions together, as in other countries. With too many roads at the upper level, the trunk road network will simply never get the needed standard, as the politician can continue to interfere with their own agendas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Oslo is soon to be connected to the rest of Europe by motorway:
It is quite amazing that it took us so long, at least considering the rather highly trafficated Norwegian parts. What is even more incredible is that the former death/express road was also quite new, it is not that long ago that the E6 south of Oslo was a county road winding along farm property boundaries in parts. This motorway is a transport revolution for Ĝstfold and parts of Akershus south of Oslo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denvise View Post
Does this mean that you are considering Bohuslen is back in Norway? Nice! Seriously, I do not know anybody that is anti-Swedish, but I am a bit amazed sometimes by the reactions in Swedish media when Norwegians do well in sports etc, you guys seem a bit jealous at times

Regarding the E6 in Bohuslen/Bohuslän it is true that at least the northern parts mostly are trafficated by Norwegian cars. However, these cars are filled with shoppers and holidaymakers that fill the pockets of the people of Bohuslen. In 2007, Norwegian shoppers spent 4.6 billion NOK (536 million Euro) in Strĝmstad municipaly alone. Surely, that is a fairly decent payment for a few km of motorway....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupilami View Post
Norway Highways look very chilean...
I wonder if this was a compliment or not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWesternGuy View Post
More pictures, please
In Norway, you will quickly realize that it is not the roads, but the surrounding that are most interesting....

Well, here are two pictures, İ2000 Vadim Makarov www.vad1.com

E6 south of Trondheim

Roundabout in Trondheim - it appears that someone has turned the sign at the roundabout entrance

There are also quite a few road pics in these threads from the Nordic/Baltic section:
6150 km in 14 days - my trip across Scandinavia.
6150 km in 14 days (II): RV17 - The Coastal Highway.
Ŝróndeimr's Photolab (and various other threads in the section by Ŝróndeimr)
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:23 PM   #415
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2268

Looks like new E6 south of Steinkjer is getting more expencive than their budged. The Lĝsberga issue is causing the increase of 20 million NOK.

Process has been slow, and they are behind schedule. They hope a bigger detonation of the mountain crack in two weeks will be successful.
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 08:15 PM   #416
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Building roads in mountainous areas gives that kind of problems. Something we've hardly got to do with in the Netherlands.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 04:03 PM   #417
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ŝróndeimr View Post
Looks like new E6 south of Steinkjer is getting more expencive than their budged. The Lĝsberga issue is causing the increase of 20 million NOK.

Process has been slow, and they are behind schedule. They hope a bigger detonation of the mountain crack in two weeks will be successful.
A detonation went very wrong today and both E6 and the railroad (only track between Trondheim-Bodĝ) and won't be opened for at least a week.

Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #418
54°26′S 3°24′E

Yup, it certainly looks like they made a "bigger detonation"......I wonder if this was the desired effect....

Old November 5th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #419
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

If there is one thing Norway is bad at, it's building roads and tunnels!
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #420
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I'd say detonating cliffs
In Alaska I saw some very impressive detonation/constructing work going on on the Glenn Highway between mile 92-97 (Anchorage-Glennallen). Probably the most impressive construction work I've ever seen.

Tags
norway