daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2016, 11:51 AM   #4241
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In a somewhat similar scenario, Scandlines want to compete with the Femern Belt Tunnel between Denmark and Germany once it is completed.
No, this is not a similar scenario. The background of the ferry scenario is that the road access from the Forsand area to Sandnes and Stavanger will be longer and more expensive after the Ryfast is complete. The planned ferry connection would keep the existing Oanes-Lauvvik ferry route which is located 20+ kilometers SW from the Ryfast. Thus, it is not a question of direct competition, because the route is significantly different.

metasmurf, Heico-M liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2016, 12:18 PM   #4242
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Okay, I thought it was about the ferry to Tau.

But the Forsand area is sparsely populated. There are only 1,200 people in the kommune, and for traffic to Stavanger, the Ryfylke Tunnel is likely faster than using the ferry and then drive via Sandnes to Stavanger, right? So the ferry would only serve Forsand - Sandnes and points south.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #4243
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Okay, I thought it was about the ferry to Tau.

But the Forsand area is sparsely populated. There are only 1,200 people in the kommune, and for traffic to Stavanger, the Ryfylke Tunnel is likely faster than using the ferry and then drive via Sandnes to Stavanger, right? So the ferry would only serve Forsand - Sandnes and points south.
The question is not about time only but money, too. The current ferry price without discounts is NOK 73 (passenger car and driver) while the speculated toll of Ryfast will be around 250-300. Longer time and quadruple cost is a difficult business case

Of course, there will most probably be no business case to keep the current interval of 30 minutes and all-day traffic. This is known to the people in Forsand area, I believe.

If the private ferry becomes true, the situation will be similar to today: There are two options: the traditional ferry over Rv13 and fast ferry from Tau. The choice depends on where you are going and how much you can spend time.
Old August 24th, 2016, 01:13 PM   #4244
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

It's not just about the 1200 people in Forsand kommune. It will be an attractive connection to the Sandnes/lower Stavanger area for parts of Strands kommune including Jørpeland as the ferry only takes 10 minutes and will be more than twice as cheap as Ryfast. The route has an AADT of 1495 in 2014, which is more than some ferry crossings on E39.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 02:35 PM   #4245
berlinwroclaw
Kamienna

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The question is not about time only but money, too. The current ferry price without discounts is NOK 73 (passenger car and driver) while the speculated toll of Ryfast will be around 250-300. Longer time and quadruple cost is a difficult business case
Similar considerations as you did are now under study for Hordfast, part of E39 motorway Haugesund-Bergen. Hordaland County must give a loan guarantee for the giant 43 billion project Hordfast, and they have to be responsible for 30 billion in loans. They know that the toll costs will be very high for drivers, while a private ferry will be annoying, but will save much money for drivers. Making the toll low to adapt to private ferry will be bad for county budget...

It is therefore an incredible risk for Hordaland to approve the Hordfast project. https://www.nrk.no/hordaland/vil-ikk...ast-1.13103376

Mathias Olsen liked this post
berlinwroclaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 03:08 PM   #4246
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 265

When Ryfast is completed, the county will end their financial support for the Lauvik-Oanes ferry. Arguing based on the premiss of a ticket price at 73 NOK is false.

Even if the crossing takes 10 minutes, you need to account for the time it takes to drive from Jørpeland to Vatne, and waiting time at the quay.
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #4247
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafangr View Post
When Ryfast is completed, the county will end their financial support for the Lauvik-Oanes ferry. Arguing based on the premiss of a ticket price at 73 NOK is false.

Even if the crossing takes 10 minutes, you need to account for the time it takes to drive from Jørpeland to Vatne, and waiting time at the quay.
Perhaps we could guess that if the local administration wants to have a ferry there, it is ready to pay some level of subsidies?

Still, the key thing is not the ferry itself. The key thing is that if someone wants to set up a private ferry connection in Norway, it seems to need a permission from the ivory tower in Oslo.
Old August 24th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #4248
Stafangr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Perhaps we could guess that if the local administration wants to have a ferry there, it is ready to pay some level of subsidies?

Still, the key thing is not the ferry itself. The key thing is that if someone wants to set up a private ferry connection in Norway, it seems to need a permission from the ivory tower in Oslo.
I haven't looked into it, and I don't have time for it at the moment, but I would ask if:

1) Does the municipalities have the right to contribute or is it the county municipality's prerogative?

2) Would financial support by municipality need to be approved by the county or the State department?

3) Would it comply with EU law on state aid?
Old August 24th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #4249
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

Norway is not in eu...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #4250
Stafangr

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Norway is not in eu...
We are in the EEA, and Norway must comply with most/a lot of EU law, including EU state aid law.

Mathias Olsen liked this post
Old August 25th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #4251
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21235

Does state aid laws also apply to transportation infrastructure?
Old August 25th, 2016, 02:56 PM   #4252
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

In any case the municipality would just have to put out a tender, something it should do anyway.
Old August 25th, 2016, 03:10 PM   #4253
MattiG

Quote:
I haven't looked into it, and I don't have time for it at the moment, but I would ask if:

1) Does the municipalities have the right to contribute or is it the county municipality's prerogative?

2) Would financial support by municipality need to be approved by the county or the State department?

EU does not forbid municipalities from entering business, nor buying services from private businesses as far as the sourcing laws are followed. I believe the key factor is the Norwegian legislation.
Old August 25th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #4254
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Hjelle

Tunnels are great to improve traffic flow, but they are also detrimental to the experience of Norway.

For example, riksvei 15 goes through the Hjelle Tunnel. The old route is bypassed. But if you follow the main road, you'll miss scenery like this.

Hjelle, Norway by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Mathias Olsen, pai nosso liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 05:48 PM   #4255
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:

Rules or no rules, from my experience municipalities can always find ways to gain private companies. They'll just put their solicitors to find loopholes or arrangements so it holds up legally. If there's a will there's a way.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #4256
Mathias Olsen

Likes (Received): 149

Progress Expressway construction E18 Swedish border

The improvements of E18 from Østfold to the Swedish border include a grade separated 1+1 road with 2+1 sections and space reservations for 4-lane motorway. This leads to safer traffic and the E18 through the county gets a better and more equal standard. The route is about 6.4 km long, with a width of 12.5 meters and a speed limit of 90 km/h. Through Winton center, the speed being reduced to 70 km/h. Photos with the status of the construction in July 2016.

2+1 section

Kjølen bridge with junction

Bridge in Winston

Sletta bridge

Construction site at the Swedish border

The design of this new E18 had been done by NPRA under the former government. It may give a good impression about the design of main roads with a too low AADT to justify a motorway.
Mathias Olsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:22 PM   #4257
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Some impressions from the Fv53

Norway - Fylkesveg 53 (Fv53) by cinxxx, on Flickr

cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:23 PM   #4258
cinxxx