daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #4281
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias Olsen View Post
Norway has an official network of 18 authorised tourist routes.
Quote:
My favorites are:
Quote:
3. Aurlandsfjellet, the old E16 road.
I think that the road over Aurlandfjellet never was E16. Before the tunnel road, the E16 was routed over the ferry Lærdal-Gudvangen and later Kaupanger-Gudvangen. When the tunnels from Gudvangen to Flåm got ready, the Aurland-Gudvangen route got renumbered to Rv50.

Anyway, my top 10 mountain routes are, not in any order of preference:

- Suleskard+Lysebotn
- E134 Haukeli-Seljestad over the old non-tunnel roads Dyrskar and Røldalsfjellet
- Rv7 Hardangervidda and Måbødalen
- Gol-Aurland-Aurlandsfjellet
- Måløy-Kråkenes+Vestkapp
- Peer Gynt vegen + Jotunheimvegen
- Sognefjellet + Tyin-Årdal-Turtagrø
- Strynefjellet-Nibbeveien-Geiranger-Trollstigen
- Ifjordfjellet+Nordkynnhalvøya
- Varangerhalvøya to Berlevåg

Heico-M, Mathias Olsen liked this post
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #4282
Mathias Olsen

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Anyway, my top 10 mountain routes are, not in any order of preference:

- Suleskard+Lysebotn
- E134 Haukeli-Seljestad over the old non-tunnel roads Dyrskar and Røldalsfjellet
- Rv7 Hardangervidda and Måbødalen
- Gol-Aurland-Aurlandsfjellet
- Måløy-Kråkenes+Vestkapp
- Peer Gynt vegen + Jotunheimvegen
- Sognefjellet + Tyin-Årdal-Turtagrø
- Strynefjellet-Nibbeveien-Geiranger-Trollstigen
- Ifjordfjellet+Nordkynnhalvøya
- Varangerhalvøya to Berlevåg
A lot of routes in Southern Norway. Do you have a special commitment to that area?

IMO many can be added to NPRA tourist routes, especially E134 Haukeli-Seljestad and even the present road with tunnels has enough scenery fun for tourists. It is not a mountain road, but has easy access. I also should add Rv 15 on the list of tourist routes. Maybe not so much high mountain excitement as Fv 258, but easier access.
Mathias Olsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #4283
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
A lot of routes in Southern Norway. Do you have a special commitment to that area?
The logic is easy: As I categorized them into mountain routes, I did not include seaside routes as Helgelandkysten, Lofoten, Havøysundsvegen, Lyngen, Atlanterhavsvegen and Stavanger-Bergen-Ålesund. The largest mountains are in the south.
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #4284
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Arrr, I need to save these posts, that is the stuff for Norway holidays for the next 20 years.
(As long as they have not moved the whole road network underground by then)

Thank you guys!
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 01:56 AM   #4285
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Personally, I would like to keep my favorite roads as peaceful as they are today, so I'll keep my mouth shut ;-) Seriously, Chris is somewhat right that you after a while get numb by driving around in nice scenery. Nature is IMO best experienced far away from any roads, in slow motion either by foot, ski or kayak...
54°26′S 3°24′E está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 09:38 AM   #4286
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Maybe some road geeks will even go to Norway to look at spectacular tunnels and bridges.
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 09:52 AM   #4287
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Some more pictures from me

Geiranger

View from the Geiranger Road by cinxxx, on Flickr

Eagles road (Ørneveien)

View from the Eagles road (Ørneveien) by cinxxx, on Flickr

Evening

Next day

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 09:55 AM   #4288
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Fv63 - Geiranger to Eidsdal

Norway (Fv63) - Geiranger to Eidsdal by cinxxx, on Flickr

Norway (Fv63) - Geiranger to Eidsdal by cinxxx, on Flickr

Fv63 - Eidsdal-Linge ferry

Norway (Fv63) - Eidsdal-Linge ferry by cinxxx, on Flickr

Fv63 - Linge to Trollstigen

Norway (Fv63) - Linge to Trollstigen by cinxxx, on Flickr
Old August 31st, 2016, 09:57 AM   #4289
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

BONUS -> Gudbrandsjuvet
https://www.flickr.com/photos/271083...57673192111275
Old August 31st, 2016, 10:16 AM   #4290
Mathias Olsen

Progress improvements E134 Amot

Although E134 via Røldal will get new long tunnels to overcome snow problems in winter, the present E134 mountain road is still under construction for improvements.
The new Røldal and Haukeli tunnels will be available not earlier than next decade, so it is worth to invest in widening of the existing E134 over Røldal.
Here are photos of the widening to at least 3 lanes and other improvements. Photo session from 15 August 2016. Excuses for the bad photo resolution.

Widening South East of Amot. In future this road will no longer be part of E134, because a new shorter section will be constructed via Rauland to reduce traveling with more than 30 minutes. But even for local traffic the widening is a necessary investment.

Widening South East of Amot, at Vinje Kommune border

Already widened section with central barrier and separated lanes at Amot

Another already widened section with central barrier and separated lanes West of Amot

Small reconstruction site East of Røldal

Old August 31st, 2016, 12:24 PM   #4291
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 927

Rv23 The Oslofjord tunnel is now (finally) free: https://www.regjeringen.no/no/aktuel...ene/id2510061/
There's still a lot of work remaining on this stretch of road, though.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!

Mathias Olsen liked this post
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 01:55 PM   #4292
Mathias Olsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
Rv23 The Oslofjord tunnel is now (finally) free: https://www.regjeringen.no/no/aktuel...ene/id2510061/
There's still a lot of work remaining on this stretch of road, though.
The toll barrier disappears and allows people on both sides of the fjord now a much easier access. That means an increase in traffic volumes and load on the road now that the connection is made free.

It can only be good news, because it will trigger government and NPRA to come with a better tunnel or bridge for the Rv 23.
Old August 31st, 2016, 02:12 PM   #4293
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 927

At practically the same time preparation work is starting on the new 4-lane section of Rv23 Dagslett-Linnes connecting towards E18 and Drammen (via Fv282) at Lierstranda.

PDF: http://www.vegvesen.no/_attachment/1...ugust+2016.pdf

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 06:19 PM   #4294
Mathias Olsen

Design Western E134 Kongsberg bypass published

The 4.7 km stretch Trollerud Moen-Saggrenda, has now been published on 29/08/2016, the third and last section of 13.2 km new E134 near Kongsberg. The current National Transport Plan requires Drammen-Kongsberg a 4-lane motorway and Kongsberg-Notodden a 3-lane 2+1 road. However in the published design is only a 2-lane grade separated road with two single tube tunnels respectively 300 meters (Moan tunnel) and 450 meters (Vollåstunnelen). The section has one grade separated junction and also 4 bridges. The Saggrenda bridge over both a river and the current E134 is the largest and longest. According to the planning, the whole bypass Kongsberg will be ready at the end of 2019.
Old August 31st, 2016, 11:39 PM   #4295
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Design Western E134 Kongsberg bypass published

The 4.7 km stretch Trollerud Moen-Saggrenda, has now been published on 29/08/2016, the third and last section of 13.2 km new E134 near Kongsberg. The current National Transport Plan requires Drammen-Kongsberg a 4-lane motorway and Kongsberg-Notodden a 3-lane 2+1 road. However in the published design is only a 2-lane grade separated road with two single tube tunnels respectively 300 meters (Moan tunnel) and 450 meters (Vollåstunnelen). The section has one grade separated junction and also 4 bridges. The Saggrenda bridge over both a river and the current E134 is the largest and longest. According to the planning, the whole bypass Kongsberg will be ready at the end of 2019.
Don´t think there ever was a plan building the western part of this project with three lane throughout the section. But have they cut the 1,5km or so passing lane in direction Notodden?

But in the opposite end of this project, I found this text on the projects website: http://www.vegvesen.no/Europaveg/Dam...måsentislegård

If the person who wrote it knew what they wrote, it seems like the four lane section from the east won`t start until the Diseplass junction is passed going west. If thats correct, it really an ridiculous way of saving money! All bridges and structures is gonna be fitted for four lanes anyway if they´re gonna keep the central divider (which does`nt very seem realistic to cut), and cruched stone and asphalt is really not what makes the project expensive. Even the drainage and lighening has to be pretty much of the same dimensions. And when (if) they continue expanding the E134 in direction Drammen i a not to distant future, they will once again have to expand a pretty new road, which means unnecessary extra length of an future construction zone to the east Really hope the text is wrong. Never seen anything else on this.
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 01:16 AM   #4296
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Trollstigen by me

Trollstigen by cinxxx, on Flickr

Old September 1st, 2016, 11:10 AM   #4297
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Trollstigen by me
Awesome. Nuff said.
Old September 1st, 2016, 03:48 PM   #4298
Mathias Olsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
Don´t think there ever was a plan building the western part of this project with three lane throughout the section.
Kongsberg-Notodden is in the present National Transport Plan. This has been discussed earlier and there has been a latent desire after E134 became main EW road with NPRA predicted AADT > 8000, that Kongsberg-Notodden would be reconstructed as 4-lane motorway:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
It's not that far fetched, the current ntp recommends motorway untill Kongsberg, then 2+1 untill Notodden, but after the standard of southern section of E39 was switched to motorway i would not be surpriced by such a twist

Quote:
the four lane section from the east won`t start until the Diseplass junction is passed going west. If thats correct, it really an ridiculous way of saving money!
Motorway with 4-lanes from Diseplass junction to Kongsberg is according to the present National Transport Plan. The designers just did fulfill the requirements of the governance guidelines. Nothing unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
All bridges and structures is gonna be fitted for four lanes anyway if they´re gonna keep the central divider (which does`nt very seem realistic to cut), and cruched stone and asphalt is really not what makes the project expensive. Even the drainage and lighening has to be pretty much of the same dimensions.
Four lane construction is till Trollerud Moen (Kongsberg-West) according to the National Transport Plan, but they really saved money on this section by replacing motorway juntions by 4 roundabouts and the river bridge is without emergency lanes and with a very short curve.
Old September 1st, 2016, 05:53 PM   #4299
Mathias Olsen

NPRA recommends Rv 52 as second East-West main road

Today, NPRA has advised the government to take Rv 52 over RV. 7, because it is better for economics and effectiveness and ability to serve drivers who cannot use the E134 via Haukeli. Focus on Rv 52 and E134 is a better overall solution, with better efficiency and over a geographically wider area than the Rv 7 can cover. It will also make possible a Bergen Arm to E134 via Haukeli. Rv 7 has the disadvantage that it goes through a National Park with Caribou population and the Hardangervidda is hard to get snow-free in winter. Full report: http://www.vegvesen.no/_attachment/1...+og+rv++52.pdf

berlinwroclaw liked this post
Old September 1st, 2016, 06:01 PM   #4300
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Rv. 52 is also good for traffic to western Sogn og Fjordane.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Mathias Olsen, berlinwroclaw liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway