daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #4321
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

bomring

Two toll cordons will commence on 3 October:

* Førde
* Grenland (Skien & Porsgrunn area)

The Grenland toll cordon will include a congestion charge, with 21 NOK during rush hour and 15 NOK outside of rush hour. The Førde toll cordon charges 26 NOK throughout the day.

Both toll cordons (bomringer) charge in only one direction (inbound in Førde, northbound in the Grenland area) and you are only charged once per hour.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2016, 11:45 PM   #4322
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heico-M View Post
Maybe some road geeks will even go to Norway to look at spectacular tunnels and bridges.
Of course they do. But infrastructure, views and sights are not mutually exclusive. Here is a sample itinerary combining all of those in the SW Norway:

- Oslo, Frognerpark, Ra and Kon-Tiki, Holmenkollen
- Drammen, Spiralen
- Verdens ende
- Porcelain museum Porsgrunn
- Kragerø
- Vrangfoss at Telemark kanal
- Eidsborg Stave Church
- Dalen Hotel
- Setesdal
- Sulerskar
- Road to Lysebotn
- Sola Beach
- Stavanger
- T-Forbindelsen
- Haugesund
- Suldal
- Røldalfjellet
- Hardangerbrua
- Skjervet
- Voss
- Bergen
- Nordhordlandsbrua
- Oppedal-Lavik electric ferry
- Gaularfjellet
- Lærdalsøyri
- Aurland road
- Lærdalstunnelen
- Borgund Stave church
- Tyin
- Descent to Årdal
- Sognefjellet
- Juvvashyttan
- Lom stave church
- Old Strynefjell road
- Dalsnibba
- Geiranger
- Trollstigen
- Trollveggen
- Raumadalen
- Dovrefjellet
- Rondane
- Lillehammer
- Lake Mjøsa
- Eidsvoll
- Back to Oslo

2600 kilometers. Many days.

Heico-M, pai nosso liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #4323
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Haha, nice one, Matti

(Aursjøvegen is missing, though )
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 01:49 PM   #4324
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

I would add Fv 724 Olden - Briksdalsbreen. Maybe not because of the road but the scenery. Fv17 is another favourite of mine with some nice bridges.

Last edited by metasmurf; September 8th, 2016 at 01:58 PM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 01:51 PM   #4325
berlinwroclaw
Kamienna

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
I believe we'll see considerable investments along the E134
I also hope that there will come considerable investments along the E134. But what we see is not so much unfortunately. In the National Transport Plan 2018-2029, version February 2016 (http://www.ntp.dep.no/Forside/_attac...ts=154a5190910), there is budget for:

1. New Haukeli tunnels and improvements mountain road Vågsli-Seljestad (8 billion)
2. New 2+1 grade separated road Kongsberg- Elgsjø (2 billion)
3. Upgrade Strømsås tunnel in Drammen with second tube (1.6 billion)

This is too less to make E134 the superior EW road. The new 2+1 road via Rauland (10.9 billion) should be added and also the Notodden bypass (4.6 billion) to make the E134 the fastest EW road in summer. The need may come in 2023. Then more traffic from Stavanger will follow E134. The powerful lobby of Stavanger may help to realise more improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
but I'm more sceptical when it comes to a new Bergen-Odda link - which of course is required to make Haukeli the "one and only" Oslo-Bergen route.
A Bergen-Odda link without new Haukeli tunnels and a new road via Rauland will be useless, because E134 still has to become the fastest, shortest, safest and most reliable EW road, which is not the case yet. Only then, this road will be the "one and only" Oslo-Bergen route. The E134 is the most popular EW road, because it is in more dense populated areas and serves more EW and NS destinations. Unfortunately there is a long way to go, because the government is not in a hurry to come with improvements. We are far away from a 380 km E134 motorway with travelling time of 3,5 hours from Bergen to Oslo, but the cry for it becomes louder and louder every year.
In 2019 with the new Kongsberg bypass the E134 will be the shortest EW road, but you have to follow Fv 362 and Fv 37 via Rauland and not the “classical road” via Seljord. To make the E134 the fastest road is a harder issue. Therefore the Bergen Arm is at this moment not so interesting. Once the new mountain tunnels are ready and the new road via Rauland, for Bergen the E134 will be anyhow more popular than any other EW road. Only then the Bergen Arm becomes interesting.
Old September 8th, 2016, 01:56 PM   #4326
Agent 006

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
In the meantime, in a different part of the country.....

The politicians of Trondheim seriously consider trying to stop expansion of E6 east of the city to 4 lanes. This part of the E6 already has close to 20 000 AADT. Note that we are not even talking about a full motorway here, we are talking about a poor fix to an unacceptable situation, and due to the mediocre geometry and reduced width max speed limit will be 90 km/h even after the expansion. I really detest the leftist rule of Trondheim.......

http://www.mb.no/nyheter/2016/09/02/...t-13271806.ece
Video explaining the ridiculous speed limit of 90 km/h.

Link: http://www.adressa.no/tv/#!/video/30...en-til-vaernes

Last edited by Agent 006; September 8th, 2016 at 02:10 PM.
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 02:29 PM   #4327
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Also, why have 5 interchanges on this short stretch? How about like 3?

metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 02:55 PM   #4328
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
I would add Fv 724 Olden - Briksdalsbreen. Maybe not because of the road but the scenery. Fv17 is another favourite of mine with some nice bridges.
True. I tried to plan a round-trip and therefore all the highlights are not there.

An alternative approach would be dropping and Dovrefjell and Rondade and take the route Dombås-Vågåmo-Jotunheimvegen-Skåbu-Peer Gyntvegen-Lillehammer. And not not skip the Norsk Vegmuseum in Fåberg.

Sightseeing at Valdresflya on Fv51:

MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #4329
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Of course they do. But infrastructure, views and sights are not mutually exclusive. Here is a sample itinerary combining all of those in the SW Norway:

- Stavanger
- T-Forbindelsen
- Haugesund
I would add Utstein Abbey.
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #4330
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 006 View Post
Video explaining the ridiculous speed limit of 90 km/h.

Link: http://www.adressa.no/tv/#!/video/30...en-til-vaernes
The leader of the project does`nt seem to be very good explaining the reason, but it`s really as easy as this: Building a 110km/h-road would mean building a completely new road for a lot of the section. That would be a completely other project, as it would be as good as impossible to connect the alignment of the Stavsjø tunnel and the Hell tunnel. Horizontal curvature is down to around a radius of around 350m through two connecting-curves.

A solution could have been to sign the curves with a lower "through the curve" speed-limit, as is used in a lot of sharp curves through the Rockeys in USA. But that would still mean that the actual speed would be higher for a lot of the vehicles, and that is against all the thinking of traffic safety we have today.

About the political part of this, I`m pretty certain it will be approved by the municipality. This is a political game by the Labour party, who want`s to prioritize E6 south of Trondheim. Remember that the Labour-party built the new four lane expressway right into downtown Trondheim, that was finished as late as 2014. At the same time, they are now collaborating withe the green party, and we all know what they usually mean about projects like this. But it`s good that focus is put on the "bymiljøavtaler". When they define any traffic increase inside a municipality as contrary the the "agreement", it`s a pretty unrealistic thought, as long as there`s national roads traversing the municipality. Traffic through Trondheim city center is a completely other thing, which could be easilier regulated, and would have less consequenses. The city centers was also the focus on Trondheims bymiljøavtale AFAIK. So unless they want to slow down the whole society - and it`s certainly not southern Norway that will loose anything on slow traffic in Trønderlag - this road will be expanded as plannet.

Agent 006 liked this post
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 11:37 PM   #4331
Agent 006

+ To make train more competative. 110 km/h instead of 90 km/h means more people choose car. Local authorities say they want to give priority to railway development and traffic north of Trondheim, and road development south of the city. But few improvements will actually be done with the railway in the nearest future. So the competative power could only be maintained by substandard roads. This is reactionary marxist bullshitism of course.

Last edited by Agent 006; September 9th, 2016 at 01:17 AM.
Old September 9th, 2016, 12:51 AM   #4332
Agent 006

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post

Also, why have 5 interchanges on this short stretch? How about like 3?

Seems weird with 5 interchanges. But Stav is only a service area. I also think Reitan was the end of the first stretch to the east from Ranheim, opening before the eastern parts of the expressway, so an interchange here was inevitable.

Last edited by Agent 006; September 9th, 2016 at 01:11 AM.
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #4333
coolstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlinwroclaw View Post
I also hope that there will come considerable investments along the E134. But what we see is not so much unfortunately.
Investments in E134 of 11.6 billion are far in the shadow of the proposed investments in ferry-free E39 Hordfast of 43 billion. Therefore focus of the big road projects is on Hordfast. This month a debate in parliament will be organised to discuss the feasibility:

- Increase of the costs from 19 billion to 43 billion in a few years
- Commercial feasible, because private ferries may take over much of the traffic
- Safety risks in case of storm, collisions or terrorism
- Financial guarantee by the county of Hordaland (30 billion)
- Risks of innovative technology

Why is Hordfast so important? It absorbs much of the road infrastructure budget in a time many Ministries have to save budget because of the low oil prices. When Hordfast will be postponed or cancelled there will be budget for Hordaland to construct other roads. When Hordfast will be approved, other roads, like E6 and E134 may be reduced in case of new investments.
It is of course wishful thinking, but it is possible that the discussion will go to a “Plan B”, a lower budget solution with less risks. That is the selection of a cheaper alternative than the expensive chosen one. NPRA did already a study in 2007 for a Eastern motorway Bergen-Haugesund, called option K5B.

The Western part of K5A and K5B are also part of a projected road Bergen-Odda, the so-called “Bergen Arm” to E134.

Before Christmas this year, a final decision will be taken about Hordfast. Hordaland already doesn’t want a financial guarantee, and want to transfer to the state. But then the government will come in the position to establish the requirements for the project. We have to wait some months before the decision. Time will tell and only God knows.
coolstuff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:28 AM   #4334
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

But Norway has an enormous oil fund for rainy days right? Why not use some of it to build this 100-year infrastructure? 43 billion NOK surely is a huge amount of money, but the oil fund is worth over 7 trillion NOK. And a sizable portion can be recovered through tolls, and a portion could be paid through the state budget.

With interest rates as low as they are, investing it may be better than sitting on all that money doing nothing?

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

berlinwroclaw, devo liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #4335
berlinwroclaw
Kamienna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
But Norway has an enormous oil fund for rainy days right? Why not use some of it to build this 100-year infrastructure? 43 billion NOK surely is a huge amount of money, but the oil fund is worth over 7 trillion NOK. And a sizable portion can be recovered through tolls, and a portion could be paid through the state budget.

With interest rates as low as they are, investing it may be better than sitting on all that money doing nothing?
I agree with you that it is better to invest in infrastructure for the new generation. But on the other side I can understand that Norway don't want to invest the oil money immediately such as Saudi Arabia, where they are doing now serious cuts on infrastructure projects. The good news is that because of the unemployment in Western and Southern Norway because of the oil crisis, the government want to invest in infrastructure as compensation, 900 million extra to roads, railroads and maintenance of buildings in that area, https://www.regnskapnorge.no/artikle...budsjett-2016/
There is hope that the budget of the Ministry of Transport won't be reduced.

Stafangr liked this post
berlinwroclaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 06:24 PM   #4336
LegendMeadow

Likes (Received): 2

Since I am in Narvik at the moment visiting family we drove to shop at the Swedish border. I snapped some photos of Hålogalandsbrua.

Here's the album: imgur com(slash)a(slash)d0kCX

IceCheese, Mathias Olsen liked this post
LegendMeadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 05:56 AM   #4337
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendMeadow View Post
Since I am in Narvik at the moment visiting family we drove to shop at the Swedish border. I snapped some photos of Hålogalandsbrua.

Here's the album: imgur.com/a/d0kCX
I fixed the link

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 02:19 PM   #4338
LegendMeadow

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
I fixed the link
Thank you. I need at least 10 posts before I can post links.
LegendMeadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 04:55 PM   #4339
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
The leader of the project does`nt seem to be very good explaining the reason, but it`s really as easy as this: Building a 110km/h-road would mean building a completely new road for a lot of the section. That would be a completely other project, as it would be as good as impossible to connect the alignment of the Stavsjø tunnel and the Hell tunnel. Horizontal curvature is down to around a radius of around 350m through two connecting-curves.

A solution could have been to sign the curves with a lower "through the curve" speed-limit, as is used in a lot of sharp curves through the Rockeys in USA. But that would still mean that the actual speed would be higher for a lot of the vehicles, and that is against all the thinking of traffic safety we have today.
Reduced speed on short sections of motorways are used also in Norway. If the worry was that the a number of motorists had higher speeds, they could just put up some speed cameras. In any case, the alignment issue here (which perhaps could have been solved with a new Hell tunnel) is no excuse for lowering the standard, including reduced width, throughout.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 12:14 AM   #4340
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
As mentioned though, the government can decide that a road project is to be implemented using a "state plan" rather than a "municipality plan." E 39 from Søgne to Ålgård is going to be built using the framework of a "state plan."
Certainly, but as long as these projects financing relies on tolls it's not as easy. If the state decided to build a new motorway without tolls there is nothing the muni can do.

Mathias Olsen liked this post
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway