daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2016, 10:30 PM   #4361
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
No, the road does not end. The number changes. These are two different things.
Not necessarily in English, and the context has that the road that is the object of the sentence "In Karesuando, the road ends close to the road E8." is 'Swedish national road 45' that has been the object of the other sentences in the paragraph. The road is synonymous with the number here!

However, even if you refuse to take that definition, the road definitely doesn't go to Finland - it carries on (as R99 and as, for a few km, a continuation of Laestadiuvegen) to Muodoslompolo where it ends at a T-junction. There is a road to Finland from the end of the E45, but is it not the same one (it's a side turn, has a different name, etc).
Quote:
The proposal text gives an impression that road in Karesuando is a dead end, like the North Cape, for example.
As a native English speaker, it definitely doesn't.

And given they explicitly talk about the E8 "close", that hardly seems like a dead end, or certainly not a permanent one. If the UNECE actually wanted the routes to join up they'd have asked about some sort of way of crossing across the border to the E8 and/or whether they had talked with Finland about extending the E45 to the E8. Seems like they didn't care!
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #4362
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

E6 Sørkjosen, Troms

The tunnel breakthrough of the Sørkjosen Tunnel on E6 in Troms is planned for next Wednesday, 21 September. It is a 4.6 kilometer long tunnel. It is planned to open in late 2017 / early 2018.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Mathias Olsen liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2016, 10:21 AM   #4363
Mathias Olsen

Likes (Received): 149

Photos Ryfylke tourist road

National Tourist Road Ryfylke via Rv 13 and Fv 520 has been extended with a new attraction near the old zinc mines near Sauda. NPRA has opened this tourist attraction on 8 September 2016. Here some photos of this tourist road from Stavanger to Røldal. One of the more popular tourist roads.

Lysefjorden. Bridge that connects Rv 13 with Fv 520 via Fv 46

Allmannajuvet, a new attraction in the former zinc mines (1881-1899) area in Sauda near Fv 520

Saudafjorden

Honganvikfossen, Saudafjorden

Svandalsfossen, Fv 520

Saudafjellet. In winter many times closed.

Røldal, where the Rv 13 and Fv 520 connect with E134

Old September 17th, 2016, 10:31 AM   #4364
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I want to visit that area on my next trip to Norway

So far I've been in the area of Rv. 7 and E16 in 2014 and the area between Sognefjord & Trondheim in 2016. So the next time I want to visit a more southern region.
Old September 17th, 2016, 10:45 AM   #4365
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

This area is on my list as well, but it's almost as far away for me as it is for you. It would take me almost 16 hours to drive to Sauda.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 05:57 PM   #4366
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E6 Mjøsa

I filmed E6 along Lake Mjøsa in June. It's one of the most scenic motorways in Norway.

Old September 21st, 2016, 09:09 PM   #4367
LegendMeadow

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I filmed E6 along Lake Mjøsa in June. It's one of the most scenic motorways in Norway.

Do you know why they used pre-rusted barriers on this stretch of road? It looks like an old motorway in Italy.
LegendMeadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 09:55 PM   #4368
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendMeadow View Post
Do you know why they used pre-rusted barriers on this stretch of road? It looks like an old motorway in Italy.
Only A22 in Italy has such barriers, they're rusted on purpose, maybe because they aestetically fit better in nature compared to shiny steel ones.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 01:43 PM   #4369
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendMeadow View Post
All bigger highway projects in Norway have a "style manual". In this particular project, Corten steel was chosen because it was believed to blend better with the the landscape around it. However, the corrosion resistance was less than expected, especially in locations where water collects, and ahead most Norwegian roads will continue using traditional galvanized, or in some cases painted, steel.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 02:12 AM   #4370
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Tunnel breakthrough on E6 at Røssvoll

The breakthrough on a new tunnel on E6 at Røssvoll north of Mo I Rana in Nordland was completed earlier this month.

Photo: Statens Vegvesen

The tunnel as well as some widening of the existing road and some in new alignment are part of the the 5,19 billion NOK project E6 Helgeland

The tunnel and the new road are set out to be completed in 2018 and will replace one of the worst parts of E6 in Nordland, which I've had the pleasure of driving myself.

riiga, Mathias Olsen liked this post

Last edited by metasmurf; September 27th, 2016 at 09:07 AM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 12:35 PM   #4371
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

So it's not just Molde Politi driving around in ancient Volvo V70's, we also have an even older Ford Mondeo. I can't understand why a country as wealthy as Norway doesn't buy police cars on a rolling basis, 10 year old or older vehicles have no place in a police force.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 01:57 PM   #4372
Agent 006

Likes (Received): 180

110 km/h still possible some places around Trondheim?

http://www.adressa.no/tv/#!/video/30...0-i-troendelag
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #4373
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
So it's not just Molde Politi driving around in ancient Volvo V70's, we also have an even older Ford Mondeo. I can't understand why a country as wealthy as Norway doesn't buy police cars on a rolling basis, 10 year old or older vehicles have no place in a police force.
That Street View-picture is from 2010.
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #4374
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Riksvei 3

The Rv.3 / Rv. 25 upgrade from Løten to Elverum.

The 2x2 segment is not very long. Too bad there will be a simple roundabout at Elverum, instead of an interchange with Rv. 3 being the through route.

They're going to build a lot of small arch bridges for this project.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Mathias Olsen, Luki_SL liked this post
Old September 28th, 2016, 01:06 PM   #4375
Mathias Olsen

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Rv.3 / Rv. 25 upgrade from Løten to Elverum.

The 2x2 segment is not very long. Too bad there will be a simple roundabout at Elverum, instead of an interchange with Rv. 3 being the through route.

They're going to build a lot of small arch bridges for this project.
We hoped Rv 3 would be constructed as a full 2x2 motorway all the way to Trondheim. What we get is a crippled road with roundabouts and 1+1 stretches. Doesn't the government takes Rv 3 serious as a long distance road? Didn't they learn from the annoying roundabouts in Kongsberg on E134? Here we go again: just local road improvements as in the previous decades
Mathias Olsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 03:57 PM   #4376
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E18 Larvik

The Farris Bridge construction progress in Larvik. It's part of the E18 motorway upgrade.

berlinwroclaw, Mathias Olsen liked this post
Old September 28th, 2016, 04:08 PM   #4377
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E6 Gudbrandsdalen

The 33 kilometer long new E6 from Frya to Sjoa (Ringebu - Otta) will open to traffic on 17 December.

Old September 28th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #4378
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Why they're building E6 motorway north of Lillehammer? Some time ago there was a post saying that Rv3 is the main road Oslo-Trondheim and a future motorway between the two cities would follow that route.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 06:31 PM   #4379
berlinwroclaw
Kamienna

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Why they're building E6 motorway north of Lillehammer? Some time ago there was a post saying that Rv3 is the main road Oslo-Trondheim and a future motorway between the two cities would follow that route.
It suggests that NPRA with silent approval of the government want to upgrade the E6 and not the Rv3. Last update plans of Rv3 are below expectations and seem to limit attraction of Rv3. There is much more focus on upgrading E6. The only missing link for an grade separated E6 expressway Oslo-Trondheim seems to be passing the Dovre plateau. Perhaps E6 is more interesting because it covers a wider and more dense populated area. However, some expensive tunnels may be needed to mitigate the attraction of Rv3.
Old September 28th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #4380
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Some time ago there was a post saying that Rv3 is the main road Oslo-Trondheim and a future motorway between the two cities would follow that route.
Everything written into the internet is not necessarily true.

metasmurf, riiga liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway