daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2016, 02:45 PM   #4481
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

These series get different names in different countries, even those of same language.

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:26 PM   #4482
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I need get into that, I never watch regular TV programming. Ice Road Rescue sounds interesting.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:39 PM   #4483
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E6 Gudbrandsdalen

The toll rates for the new E6 through Gudbrandsdalen are rather steep. 109 NOK / € 12.15 for 34 km of express road = € 0.35 per kilometer, that's like 3.5 times more expensive than toll roads in France.

Old October 22nd, 2016, 01:46 PM   #4484
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Statens vegvesen released some numbers on the costs of road construction two years ago that I was not aware of http://www.tu.no/artikler/sa-mye-kos...i-norge/231083. (Pardon me for the Norwegian)
  • 2-felts veg: 8,5 m vegbredde: 70 000 – 120 000 kr per meter
  • 2-felts veg: 10,0 m vegbredde: 80 000 – 140 000 kr per meter (forsterket midtoppmerking)
  • 2/3-felts veg m/midtrekkverk: 110 000 – 150 000 kr per meter
  • 4-felts veg, kryss i plan: 120 000 – 170 000 kr per meter (16 m vegbredde)
  • 4-felts veg, planskilte kryss: 140 000 – 230 000 kr per meter (19-22 m vegbredde)
The numbers confirm what I always have argued. The added cost for construction a full motorway (last item) instead of a 2/3-laner is not astronomical, especially in areas where construction cost is low (Østerdalen springs to mind). With the much higher safety and efficiency of motorways I really do not understand why 2/3 lane expressways still are planned and constructed, to be later expanded at much higher cost to a motorway. Overall, we can hope that the costs for road building in Norway will decrease ahead with the current focus on more long term planning and larger projects.

Bjørne liked this post
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 08:53 PM   #4485
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafangr View Post
No, we shouldn't. Should we spend more on infrastructure? Yeah, sure, but don't use the 'oil fund'. If we were to do that, Norway would suffer from the so called Dutch disease, making it a lot more difficult for the economy to transition away from its dependency on the oil industry.
Does that make sense? It would seem logical to use the "oil money" to invest in infrastructure that would help alternative industries (since road upgrades are not really useful for oil but useful for almost anything else)
Old October 22nd, 2016, 09:45 PM   #4486
MattiG

Likes (Received): 616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Does that make sense? It would seem logical to use the "oil money" to invest in infrastructure that would help alternative industries (since road upgrades are not really useful for oil but useful for almost anything else)
Oil money will be used for buying oil after the own oil sources have exhausted?
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 04:56 PM   #4487
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
The oil fund own assets outside of Norway. If the oil fund were to sell off (some of) those assets and bring the cash it got from those sales back to Norway, it would make the Norwegian currency (NOK) more valuable. That means all costs and salaries paid in NOK would become more expensive and make Norwegian businesses less competitive compared to their international peers. Norway has a small and export focused economy, and is currently trying to shift away from its dependency on the petroleum industry.
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 05:27 PM   #4488
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
Statens vegvesen released some numbers on the costs of road construction two years ago that I was not aware of http://www.tu.no/artikler/sa-mye-kos...i-norge/231083. (Pardon me for the Norwegian)
  • 2-felts veg: 8,5 m vegbredde: 70 000 – 120 000 kr per meter
  • 2-felts veg: 10,0 m vegbredde: 80 000 – 140 000 kr per meter (forsterket midtoppmerking)
  • 2/3-felts veg m/midtrekkverk: 110 000 – 150 000 kr per meter
  • 4-felts veg, kryss i plan: 120 000 – 170 000 kr per meter (16 m vegbredde)
  • 4-felts veg, planskilte kryss: 140 000 – 230 000 kr per meter (19-22 m vegbredde)
The numbers confirm what I always have argued. The added cost for construction a full motorway (last item) instead of a 2/3-laner is not astronomical, especially in areas where construction cost is low (Østerdalen springs to mind). With the much higher safety and efficiency of motorways I really do not understand why 2/3 lane expressways still are planned and constructed, to be later expanded at much higher cost to a motorway. Overall, we can hope that the costs for road building in Norway will decrease ahead with the current focus on more long term planning and larger projects.
I'm assuming a 2/3-felts veg is what we in Sweden call a 2+1 road. They're not as efficient as motorways, that's true, but they are just as safe if not safer due to lower speed limit.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 05:34 PM   #4489
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Norway has a small and export focused economy, and is currently trying to shift away from its dependency on the petroleum industry.
Hmm, what does Norway export besides oil and gas? Mostly fish / seafoods products? Maybe it exports knowledge, like the Netherlands exports water management knowledge?

Given the already high labor cost, it's doubtful if Norway can replace its oil & gas exports with other products of a similar value. There are limited other forms of industry, apart from some aluminium production, it seems.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:55 PM   #4490
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Hmm, what does Norway export besides oil and gas? Mostly fish / seafoods products? [...]
https://www.ssb.no/en/utenriksokonom...&tabell=280893
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:04 PM   #4491
Stafangr

Quote:
Hmm, what does Norway export besides oil and gas? Mostly fish / seafoods products? Maybe it exports knowledge, like the Netherlands exports water management knowledge?

Given the already high labor cost, it's doubtful if Norway can replace its oil & gas exports with other products of a similar value. There are limited other forms of industry, apart from some aluminium production, it seems.
Oil, seafood, and chemical and mineral resources are the largest exports of goods. Other important sectors are shipping, ship building, mechanical and electrical manufacturing. And of course 'knowledge exports'.

Because of the flat salary structure, labor costs aren't as high for knowledge intensive companies as you'd expect. The minimum wage in Norway is really high (yeah I know, we don't have a minimum wage implemented by law), but the salaries for highly skilled workers are sometimes lower than what you'd get in other developed countries. I think Norway will (continue to) have competitive salaries in the future, because we have our own free-floating currency and the Nordic Model where salaries are negotiated between the labor unions and employer unions.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:10 PM   #4492
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've read something about significant oil reserves being discovered in the Barents Sea. The oil era of Norway may not be over yet for some time?
Old October 23rd, 2016, 10:12 PM   #4493
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Fv. 63 Geiranger - Eidsdal

I made a video of a scenic stretch of Fylkesvei 63 (County Road 63) from Geiranger to Eidsdal. It's interesting how quickly you'll lose the tourist crowd that is present on Ørnevegen. Apparently most tourists only drive up the hairpin turns, with fewer continuing towards Trollstigen.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

suburbicide, gr_kanev, pai nosso liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2016, 10:42 PM   #4494
Rob73

Likes (Received): 177

Is Shtokman the project you are thinking about? That's on hold and it's in the Russian sector, plus it's very deep.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 12:51 AM   #4495
Stafangr

Quote:
I've read something about significant oil reserves being discovered in the Barents Sea. The oil era of Norway may not be over yet for some time?
This? https://www.thelocal.no/20161012/bar...discovered-oil
Old October 24th, 2016, 01:24 AM   #4496
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty2k5 View Post
I'm assuming a 2/3-felts veg is what we in Sweden call a 2+1 road. They're not as efficient as motorways, that's true, but they are just as safe if not safer due to lower speed limit.
Mostly they are 1+1, but with occasional passing lanes. These are significantly slower than motorways. The speed limit of these is at most 90 km/h, compared to up to 110 on Norwegian motorways, the latter is likely to increase ahead. In reality, the speed difference is larger for cars at least due to limited passing opportunities. This difference in efficiency is important when evaluating the economics of the two types of road. The lower speed limit on the 1+1 is due to inferior geometry standards and narrower carriage way. Note that some of the Norwegian 1+1 are down to 10 m wide, making it impossible for eg emergency vehicles to pass. Norwegian motorways have proven to be very safe.

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; October 24th, 2016 at 06:58 PM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 02:33 AM   #4497
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
as a Saudi oil minister said once... like the Stone Age didn't end for lack of stone, the Oil Age probably won't either
Old October 24th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #4498
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Today is the first anniversary of the Tresfjord Bridge (E136) that opened on 24 October 2015.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

metasmurf, pai nosso liked this post
Old October 25th, 2016, 10:32 PM   #4499
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Quote:
The oil fund own assets outside of Norway. If the oil fund were to sell off (some of) those assets and bring the cash it got from those sales back to Norway, it would make the Norwegian currency (NOK) more valuable. That means all costs and salaries paid in NOK would become more expensive and make Norwegian businesses less competitive compared to their international peers. Norway has a small and export focused economy, and is currently trying to shift away from its dependency on the petroleum industry.
Quick fix, just scrap the krone
Old October 26th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #4500
Stafangr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Quick fix, just scrap the krone
I'm know you're joking, but... What issue would it solve? What currency should we then use? The Euro? We're not even a member of the EU.

Tags
norway