daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 3rd, 2016, 01:09 PM   #4521
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,806
Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Alternatives for the planned upgrade of E39 from Knarvik to the Eikefett Tunnel, which is just north of Bergen.

Is this stretch really so in need of upgrading? Traffic volumes taper off from 6,500 to 2,800 vehicles per day here, the road has two regular lanes and a lot of tunnels, it has clearly already been upgraded in the past.
By looking at the AADT figures only, one can lead to a chicken and egg situation: The AADT is low because the road in substandard and the road will remain substandard because of low AADT. It is good to observe that increasing the supply often increases the demand.

The road stretch dates back to 1980's with exception of some older legs. As Google Streetview shows, there are narrow and windy sections in place. In addition, there is a demand to improve the pedestrian and cycle routes east of Knarvik.

It is hard to believe the existing road will meet the expectations to have a really useful coastal transport corridor.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:26 PM   #4522
Mathias Olsen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 125
Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
What schedule? Only a lesser part of this road is prioritized for (a possible) construction start by 2020, and that depends on how the government (and future government) will prioritize money. There`s no way there`s a motorway all the way from Kristiansand to Stavanger by your date. Not even before 2030. And it has been stated even by Solvik-Olsen himself that some of the stretches might be built with two lanes - although easily expandable - at first.
Is it possible to specify your resource?

According resource below, there is governmental approval for the complete E39 motorway Kristiansand-Stavanger.

http://www.aftenbladet.no/lokalt/KrF...er-38790b.html

Quote:
The government would stop in Lyngdal but KrF received in the last turn new E39 all the way from Kristiansand to Stavanger. This is confirmed sources who have been close to the process.
E18 / E39 Kristiansand - Lyngdal has priority for 2019-2020.

About E39 Lyngdal - Sandnes (Stavanger) there are indeed some problems. NPRA is waiting for ministries to approve government plan for new E39. The matter rests with the Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development, but they can not give any answer on when the approval comes.
Mathias Olsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 12:02 AM   #4523
Gsus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 148
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias Olsen View Post
Is it possible to specify your resource?

According resource below, there is governmental approval for the complete E39 motorway Kristiansand-Stavanger.

http://www.aftenbladet.no/lokalt/KrF...er-38790b.html
Your own link does`nt say anything else than the fact that Kristiansand-Ålgård is put into Nye veiers portfolio. And the only thing said about dates is that everything should be finished within 20 years. And from the date of that article, that means 3035. And one of the major points with the organizing of Nye veier is that the politicians is not prioritizing which section that is to be built when. That is ut to Nye veier. And the section between Lyngdal and Ålgård is the least traficated part of all their projects. That does`nt necessary means that it will be prioritized last.

http://www.aftenbladet.no/okonomi/Ik...39-13652b.html

Here`s an article from the same paper. Don`t know if your getting through the pay-wall, but the free version says enough. Finn Åsmund Hobbesland, chief of planning in Nye veer sais that four lanes is planned, but there wont be enough money to build it like that. The zoning will have room for four lanes, but it will probably be built with two lanes, and passing lanes on some of the least traficated sections. Again 20 years is mentioned as the time they are gonna use on all the projects.

http://www.fvn.no/nyheter/lokalt/Sta...8-457663b.html

This link without a pay-wall only mention the section Kristiansand-Vigeland until 2022.

http://www.fvn.no/nyheter/lokalt/Sam...t-461648b.html

In the link above Solvik-Olsen himself says that some section might be built with two lanes at first. I think Fedrelandsvennen has a cheap trial on the pay-articles, unless you already subscribe. Many of the articles about this in both Fædrelandsvennen and Stavanger aftenblad was open for anyone before almost everything was taken behind the pay-wall. Including old articles.

By reading different articles where Ketil Solvik-Olsen is interviewed, I´ve registered that he always talks about the section being "planned" for four lanes. Not whether everything will be build that way from start.
__________________

Mathias Olsen liked this post
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 07:34 PM   #4524
Mathias Olsen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 125
Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
Your own link does`nt say anything else than the fact that Kristiansand-Ålgård is put into Nye veiers portfolio. And the only thing said about dates is that everything should be finished within 20 years. And from the date of that article, that means 3035.
Thanks for the resources. I agree with you much is uncertain and that we have to see construction to have a view what is really going on.
However, there it is still not impossible that a 4-lane motorway construction will start all the way from Kristiansand to Sandnes. In one of your resources we can read that Nye Veier wants to construct a 4-lane motorway:

Quote:
http://www.fvn.no/nyheter/lokalt/Sta...8-457663b.html
Vedtaket i Nye Veier betyr firefelts vei helt til Stavanger.
Planned is a 4-lane motorway bridge at Vigeland with an altitude of 80 m.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
And one of the major points with the organizing of Nye veier is that the politicians is not prioritizing which section that is to be built when. That is ut to Nye veier. And the section between Lyngdal and Ålgård is the least traficated part of all their projects. That does`nt necessary means that it will be prioritized last.
In an article on October 31, 2016, Nye Veier’s CEO says, the organisation wants to speed up motorway construction, for example parts E6 Kolomoen-Moelv will be already open in 2019, while NPRA planning was 2023.

http://www.dagsavisen.no/innenriks/n...igere-1.798539

More important, E39 Kristiansand West Vigeland has priority for 2019-2020, together with E6 Kolomoen-Moelv. When Nye Veier will be able to realise construction this way, parts of E39 Kristiansand West Vigeland can be open some years even before 2022.
__________________

berlinwroclaw liked this post
Mathias Olsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 10:14 PM   #4525
Gsus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 148
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias Olsen View Post
Thanks for the resources. I agree with you much is uncertain and that we have to see construction to have a view what is really going on.
However, there it is still not impossible that a 4-lane motorway construction will start all the way from Kristiansand to Sandnes. In one of your resources we can read that Nye Veier wants to construct a 4-lane motorway:
I guess we`ll just have to wait and see. Although Nye veier wants to cut cost, prices in the construction sector might rise more than the gain, and other factors might come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias Olsen View Post
In an article on October 31, 2016, Nye Veier’s CEO says, the organisation wants to speed up motorway construction, for example parts E6 Kolomoen-Moelv will be already open in 2019, while NPRA planning was 2023.

http://www.dagsavisen.no/innenriks/n...igere-1.798539

More important, E39 Kristiansand West Vigeland has priority for 2019-2020, together with E6 Kolomoen-Moelv. When Nye Veier will be able to realise construction this way, parts of E39 Kristiansand West Vigeland can be open some years even before 2022.
I really hope that the governments budget to Nye veier wont be smaller than the 3,1 billion NOK forecasted. But I´m affraid that Venstre might get through a cut of some part to increase spending on public transportation. As if public transportation does`nt use roads Really hope that the three sections that now underway (Kolomoen-Moelv, Rugtvedt-Dørdal and Tvedestrand-Arendal) will be able to continue as usual. That would be a huge improvement on the Oslo-Lillehammer corridor, and on the Oslo-Kristiansand corridor, excluding the the only really bad parts left on that stretch.

Edit: 3,1 billion is the 2017 budget.
__________________

Mathias Olsen liked this post

Last edited by Gsus; November 5th, 2016 at 01:32 AM.
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #4526
Mathias Olsen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 125
Likes (Received): 149

Heavy snowfall in some places in southern and eastern Norway.

Not only road traffic has problems. Even Oslo Airport Gardermoen has problems because of the heavy snow with many delayed flights.

E 134 on Jerpetjønn Telemark



Trucks blocked the narrow road near Amot.



An upgrade to a wider road has been approved by NPRA and more important a new E134 expressway section via Rauland that will tacke this kind of annoying moments in future. But we are still waiting when constuction will start.
Mathias Olsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 05:53 PM   #4527
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,624
Likes (Received): 19413

E16 Stalheim

There are plans for a circa 6.3 kilometer long 3-lane tunnel on E16 at the Hordaland-Sogn og Fjordane border. It will bypass the existing Stalheim and Sivle Tunnels and bypass an avalanche-prone stretch of road.

The zoning plan was recently approved by Aurland municipality. Due to the altitude difference between the east (lower) and west (higher) tunnel portals, there will be a climbing lane.

Alternative L1 was chosen.

__________________

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

berlinwroclaw liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 07:56 PM   #4528
metasmurf
Registered User
 
metasmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Umeå, Sweden
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 555

So more money to the political monument E16. They could probably have built tunnels under the entire Hardangervidda and Haukeli for less money than what's already/will be poured into that sinkhole.
__________________

berlinwroclaw liked this post
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #4529
berlinwroclaw
Kamienna
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 139
Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
So more money to the political monument E16. They could probably have built tunnels under the entire Hardangervidda and Haukeli for less money than what's already/will be poured into that sinkhole.
I agree with you. But there are signals politicians support your suggestion. The E16 section is part of Bergen-Olso via E16 and Rv52. There are good reasons to believe the proposed tunnel will never be constructed, but the budget will be used for Bergen Arm (10+ billion), Haukeli tunnels (10+ billion) and E134 Rauland section (10+ billion).

Political situation for the E134 via Haukeli has improved much last months. Now there is a majority for the Bergen Arm. The majority in Hordaland wants only E134 via Haukeli and no more money in or Rv7 or Rv52.
http://www.bedrevei.no/2016/11/horda...v52/#more-5551
__________________
Have a safe trip!
berlinwroclaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #4530
ElviS77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 564
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
So more money to the political monument E16. They could probably have built tunnels under the entire Hardangervidda and Haukeli for less money than what's already/will be poured into that sinkhole.
Well, no, they couldn't... Noone could, actually...

Far more important, though, are the facts that this tunnel will a) most likely be a part on the second Oslo-Bergen link - second to Haukeli, of course - via Hemsedal, and - even more important to most average Norwegians, I suspect... - b) remove a major avalanche and rockfall hazard on an important road. This is our predicament, we have substandard roads cris-crossing difficult and often dangerous terrain, and for the locals, such problems take precedence over fanciful ideas about a Oslo-Bergen motorway/expressway. And our politicians do sometimes listen to such complaints, rightly or wrongly...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 06:46 AM   #4531
metasmurf
Registered User
 
metasmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Umeå, Sweden
Posts: 374
Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
Well, no, they couldn't... Noone could, actually...

Far more important, though, are the facts that this tunnel will a) most likely be a part on the second Oslo-Bergen link - second to Haukeli, of course - via Hemsedal, and - even more important to most average Norwegians, I suspect... - b) remove a major avalanche and rockfall hazard on an important road. This is our predicament, we have substandard roads cris-crossing difficult and often dangerous terrain, and for the locals, such problems take precedence over fanciful ideas about a Oslo-Bergen motorway/expressway. And our politicians do sometimes listen to such complaints, rightly or wrongly...
I've been to Norway numerous times so the conditions there aren't exactly news to me. Secondly, when have I ever said anything in this thread about supporting an Oslo - Bergen motorway? I'm talking about the decision regarding E16 in the 90's. If the same amount of money that has been spent on E16 would have been spent on either Rv7 or Rv7/Fv50 (which was the plan prior to the 90's) a winter safe good standard 2-lane road would have been in place by now.

Last edited by metasmurf; November 8th, 2016 at 10:00 AM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #4532
ElviS77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 564
Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
I've been to Norway numerous times so the conditions there aren't exactly news to me. Secondly, when have I ever said anything in this thread about supporting an Oslo - Bergen motorway?
I certainly don't suggest anything of the sort, my apologies if I came across that way. It was meant as a good-natured jestful comment to the thread as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
I'm talking about the decision regarding E16 in the 90's. If the same amount of money that has been spent on E16 would have been spent on either Rv7 or Rv7/Fv50 (which was the plan prior to the 90's) a winter safe good standard 2-lane road would have been in place by now.
This is where I partly disagree... Both those road alignments have serious deficiencies, chief among which a very long and steep section on the western side as well as an exposed mountain section which couldn't and still can't be made right without serious investments beyond what we've seen along the E16 (as a side note, the tunnel which began this would, of course, have been part of any (then) rv 50 solution...). I do, however, agree that prioritizing E16 Filefjell into the 21st century was a mistake. Ever since the 90s, I've thought that the best would be to focus on Haukeli and Hemsedal and make only smaller investments along the other corridors. That might just happen now, but I'm still not holding my breath...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #4533
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,624
Likes (Received): 19413

The Tønsberg toll cordon will end its toll collection on 20 November.

Apparently phase I of the Tønsberg investment package was paid for, and phase II was defeated in a referendum in 2005, so they did not pursue it.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 05:10 PM   #4534
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,624
Likes (Received): 19413

E6 Minnesund - Kolomoen

Some photos of E6 from Minnesund to Kolomoen. This stretch of motorway opened to traffic in 2014-2015 and runs alongside Mjøsa, Norway's largest lake, almost identical in surface area as Lake Garda.


E6-55 by European Roads, on Flickr


E6-59 by European Roads, on Flickr


E6-62 by European Roads, on Flickr


E6-67 by European Roads, on Flickr


E6-77 by European Roads, on Flickr


E6-78 by European Roads, on Flickr


E6-81 by European Roads, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #4535
Ingenioren
Registered User
 
Ingenioren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oslo
Posts: 5,605
Likes (Received): 585

Some photos of the E6 bridge in Sarpsborg:







__________________
I want to see some construction!
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 03:08 PM   #4536
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,806
Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Some photos of the E6 bridge in Sarpsborg:
Uhh...

Such a massive bridge over a residential zone does not increase the standard of living.

Why was the original bridge not built about a kilometer downstream, something like in the following chart?


Last edited by MattiG; November 15th, 2016 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Typo
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #4537
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,624
Likes (Received): 19413

The built a second span to expand it to a motorway. The first span opened in 1978 and the second one opened in 2008. Arguments for the exact location of infrastructure were a little different in the 1960s (the bridge construction started in 1970).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 06:32 PM   #4538
OulaL
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jämsä
Posts: 644
Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The built a second span to expand it to a motorway. The first span opened in 1978 and the second one opened in 2008. Arguments for the exact location of infrastructure were a little different in the 1960s (the bridge construction started in 1970).
Of course the opposite-running roadways don't necessarily need to be next to each other; but then again, if the first bridge was there in the first place, the second one didn't probably make that much a difference.
__________________
Countries visited, driven in, (not independent), former:
A B CH CZ D DK E EST F FIN GB (+GBZ) GR H I L LT LV MAL MC N NL PL RUS S SGP SK SLO T TR YU
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 12:55 PM   #4539
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,624
Likes (Received): 19413

Fv. 91 Ullsfjord Link

There are plans to build a fixed link across the Ullsfjord, not far east of Tromsø in Northern Norway.

These were the alternatives as of May 2016. (location)
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 01:20 PM   #4540
MattiG
Registered User
 
MattiG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Espoo FI
Posts: 1,806
Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Of course the opposite-running roadways don't necessarily need to be next to each other; but then again, if the first bridge was there in the first place, the second one didn't probably make that much a difference.
Of course. Still, the question was about why the first bridge was built there. I believe such violent constructions were pretty rare in Norway even in 1960's and 1970's.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
norway

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium