daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #4621
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19352

Well, you stated 'In about 99.99% of the cases preheating is not about making the engine to start but about comfort and saving the car. It saves time, effort (and the window glass) if there is no need to scrape the windows.'

Situations like these are definitely not limited to Scandinavia, but occur on a regular basis in most of Central Europe as well (not to mention Eastern Europe). Winter may be colder in Poland than Norway's coastal cities, where most of the population lives. I suppose that plugging in cars for heating may be more common in Sweden and Finland than most of Norway?

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Warsaw spectator liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2016, 12:38 AM   #4622
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Although already briefly mentioned, I would just emphasize that starting with a cold engine has a huge impact on the emissions, in particular CO, HCs, and NOx, and also the fuel consumption is increasing. In total, the emissions are said to increase by 70% it is claimed in this article (not sure how that was calculated) http://www.tu.no/artikler/trodde-du-...m-igjen/276271. Personally, I have never experience a non-start that has been caused by cold weather alone.

The higher prevalence of engine heaters in the Nordics compared with countries further south in Europe is probably due a mixture of a factors such as a longer cold season, a larger fraction of private parking compared with street /public parking and a long term public focus on the negative effects of cold-starts on the car and the environment.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 10:57 AM   #4623
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Many mountain roads are closed due to the upcoming windstorm. They advise people not to travel today.

Norðadalsskarð station on the Faroe Islands reported a 283 km/h wind gust this morning.

Old December 28th, 2016, 12:45 PM   #4624
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E39 Sandnes

The new span of the Kvelluren Bridge of E39 in Sandnes (south of Stavanger) opens to traffic tomorrow. The old span will be renovated afterwards.

Kvelluren by Statens vegvesen Region vest, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, 8166UY liked this post
Old December 28th, 2016, 02:16 PM   #4625
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
Øysand - Thamshamn is more precise. This road has many single tube tunnels and relative high traffic (in Norwegian terms). I predict tolls will be back in a few years.
I always wondered why it was never built with twin tunnels and to motorway standard when they refitted the road, it's always been busy whenever i've driven it.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 02:22 PM   #4626
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
It used to be cheaper, but then the road was in bad condition - it's been renovated and a new plattform going over the edge of the cliff has been built on top so it's actually worth it:

I never realised this was a toll road, I've been up it quite a few times when we've had visitors from overseas. Bad Rob.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 02:27 PM   #4627
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

How much does the fact Norway was under a tall ice sheet until the 'recent' geological past make soil better or worse for tunnel excavation than mountains creating by continental derive (Alps, Pyrenees) or by much older erosion (Iberian highlands)?
Old December 28th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #4628
Agent 006

Likes (Received): 180

Proposal for new N100 Road design manuals on hearing. One change is that all motorways now will be 23 m (not 20 m and 23 m), but alignment demands will on some areas be more liberal.

http://www.vegvesen.no/fag/publikasj...ng?key=1659128

Bjørne liked this post
Agent 006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 03:07 AM   #4629
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

I think it is positive if we get rid of the substandard motorway class. Unfortunately, this change is not likely to be applied for projects under various stages of planning today, a nye d IMO, all motorways should be planned for at least 120.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
How much does the fact Norway was under a tall ice sheet until the 'recent' geological past make soil better or worse for tunnel excavation than mountains creating by continental derive (Alps, Pyrenees) or by much older erosion (Iberian highlands)?
I am not a geologist, but I believe the main effect is that solid (Igneous) rock is fairly close to the surface in most of Norway, which makes tunnel construction easier. Especially in the lowlands of central ("Trøndelag") and eastern Norway there is one complication, however. Since the ice withdrew, the land has, and still is, rising, meaning that former seabottom with marine clay has surfaced. This clay can be very unstable once the salt is washed out.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2016, 11:01 AM   #4630
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They call that the post-glacial rebound. Apparently it is particularly pronounced in Finland.
Old January 1st, 2017, 12:23 AM   #4631
MattiG

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They call that the post-glacial rebound. Apparently it is particularly pronounced in Finland.
Sure. It is "maannousu", literally "raise of land".

It does not have a major impact on road construction. But the marine fairways need to be upraded regularly (every 50-100 years). In addition it causes interesting legal disputes at the shoreline.

Because the rise in one metre per century in the NW and about zero in the SE, the area of the country is constantly tilting more and more. he water pressure against to the SE lakeshores increase, and the big lakes might find a new outlet toward the sea. That would be a major nature hazard. Such a phenomena has happened a few times during the last 10000 years, latest in about 4000 B.C.

Happy new year to everyone. Currently, Norway, Sweden and the West Europe are one year behind Finland.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:44 PM   #4632
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E6 Hålogaland Bridge

The bridge decks of the Hålogaland Bridge near Narvik are manufactured in Zhongshan, China.

parts are also made in Vietnam.
Old January 9th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #4633
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Fv. 724 Oldedalen

Some photos of the extremely scenic County Road 724 in Oldedalen, south from Olden to the Jostedal Glacier.

Oldedalen-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

Oldedalen-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

Oldedalen-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

Oldedalen-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

Oldedalen-6 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old January 13th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #4634
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Fv. 655 Norangsdalen

Some photos of Fylkesvei 655 through scenic Norangsdalen (location). It is one valley west of the better known Geirangerfjord.

1. It starts off with an error, this is not Fv. 60, but Fv. 655. This sign is located just after the Fv. 60 junction, at the start of Fv. 655.

Fylkesvei 655 Norangsdalen-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

2. Norangsdalen.

Fylkesvei 655 Norangsdalen-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

Fylkesvei 655 Norangsdalen-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

Fylkesvei 655 Norangsdalen-4 by European Roads, on Flickr

Fylkesvei 655 Norangsdalen-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

Fylkesvei 655 Norangsdalen-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

Fylkesvei 655 Norangsdalen-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

Fylkesvei 655 Norangsdalen-8 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old January 13th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #4635
Suburbanist
on the road

Are there plans to close the gap (bridge/tunnel) of E5 on Sognefjord?
Old January 13th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #4636
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Are there plans to close the gap (bridge/tunnel) of E5 on Sognefjord?

Do you mean highway 5 (rv. 5)? If so, it`s been mentioned in the KVU for main roads east-west, but afaik no real studies of a possible structure. Rv. 5 is seen as an alternative faster road between Oslo and Ålesund than E6/E136 if such a bridge is realized together with a general lift of standard on the more of rv. 5, rv. 7, rv. 52 and E39.

I would guess such a bridge is far into the future, as the current ferry-crossing with connecting roads and tunnels is quite new (1995) an holds a high standard for the route today.
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:30 AM   #4637
Suburbanist
on the road

Alright. I though the tunnels there were like a prelude to future works on a bridge maybe. I don't know how the tunnels look internally,

Another question: how much traffic does Rv 50 have between Aurlandsvangen and Hagafoss? It looks a strange road: it has a rather complex hairpin alignment with tunnels, three medium-length tunnels, and a quite wide alignment in the center, but it is narrow (1.5 road) at both ends of the plateau it traverses.
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:52 AM   #4638
MattiG

Quote:
Alright. I though the tunnels there were like a prelude to future works on a bridge maybe. I don't know how the tunnels look internally,

Another question: how much traffic does Rv 50 have between Aurlandsvangen and Hagafoss? It looks a strange road: it has a rather complex hairpin alignment with tunnels, three medium-length tunnels, and a quite wide alignment in the center, but it is narrow (1.5 road) at both ends of the plateau it traverses.
It is Fv50 nowadays. The AADT is 300 but that is not the whole truth: Because it is a tourist road, the volumes vary a lot: from 100 in Nov-Jan to 800 in the summer.

The road was originally built as an access road to the construction site of the Aurland power plant system. That explains some oddities. A very nice scenic road.
Old January 14th, 2017, 02:09 AM   #4639
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
It is Fv50 nowadays. The AADT is 300 but that is not the whole truth: Because it is a tourist road, the volumes vary a lot: from 100 in Nov-Jan to 800 in the summer.

The road was originally built as an access road to the construction site of the Aurland power plant system. That explains some oddities. A very nice scenic road.
I thought the road was closed during winter. Which of the major links in the region are close seasonally? Just Rv53?

Are all these tolled tunnels and bridges financed in such a way that toll collection is temporary (until construction costs are paid only)?

Last edited by Suburbanist; January 14th, 2017 at 02:24 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 10:58 AM   #4640
MattiG

Quote:
I thought the road was closed during winter. Which of the major links in the region are close seasonally? Just Rv53?
No, it is not closed. (Right now it is, for technical problems whatever it means. A broken snowplougher perhaps.) The local admin wants to close it and the Tyin-Årdal part of the Fv53, but the cabin owners and other locals resist. For Fv50, the energy company E-CO is also "concerned", because they have six power plants in the area, with the total production capacity of about 1000 MW.

The only major links nearby to be closed for winter are Fv51 and Fv55 (Valdresflya and Sognefjellet), I believe. Such tourist roads as Fv13 Gaularfjell are not major ones. Of course, many roads are closed temporarily, or the convoy mode is turned on.

Quote:
Are all these tolled tunnels and bridges financed in such a way that toll collection is temporary (until construction costs are paid only)?
About so. The tolls cover a predefined percentage of the construction cost, the interest, and the cost to collect. Sometimes, the tolls are reintroduced, or the period is extended, because of new projects. In some cases, the toll is collected as an extra fee on the ferries. The toll rings around towns are permanent ones.

Tags
norway