daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #4641
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Alright. I though the tunnels there were like a prelude to future works on a bridge maybe. I don't know how the tunnels look internally,

Another question: how much traffic does Rv 50 have between Aurlandsvangen and Hagafoss? It looks a strange road: it has a rather complex hairpin alignment with tunnels, three medium-length tunnels, and a quite wide alignment in the center, but it is narrow (1.5 road) at both ends of the plateau it traverses.
The Fodnestunnel on the Lærdal-side I think could be used as it is without any problem, regarding on where the bridge will stand or course. But the Amlatunnel on the Sogndal-side enters/exit right on the ferry quay, just meters above sea-level. In addition to that the tunnel has a very special solution on that side, as the tunnel splits into two (with the oposite directions in each tube) inside the mountain, then cross each other. So when you enter at Manheller, you drive on the "british" side of the road.

https://www.google.no/maps/@61.16032...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:56 PM   #4642
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
In addition to that the tunnel has a very special solution on that side, as the tunnel splits into two (with the oposite directions in each tube) inside the mountain, then cross each other. So when you enter at Manheller, you drive on the "british" side of the road.

https://www.google.no/maps/@61.16032...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Any particular reason for that design?

-------------------------------------
Old January 14th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #4643
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The toll rings around towns are permanent ones.
Not necessarily, they are also clearly defined with an end date, altough often new projects are planned. For example Trondheim ended their tollring in 2005, but reintroduced in 2010. Tønsberg has recently terminated their tollring.
Old January 14th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #4644
Suburbanist
on the road

Are these ring tolls, though, financing mechanisms for road projects or congestion-charges aimed at curtailing traffic (like in Sweden)?
Old January 14th, 2017, 02:40 PM   #4645
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Especially with smaller towns and cities, there is only so much you can fund with these toll rings. It usually involves one big project (i.e. the bypass tunnels of Tønsberg and Harstad) and many smaller ones, such as bike lanes. At some point they have to either scrap the tolls or seek for 'luxury projects' to spend money on.

The Førde toll ring seems a bit over the top. It doesn't fund any exceptionally expensive project that would've otherwise been unattainable without tolls. I don't think tolls are the right instrument to fund projects like bike lanes, intersection improvement, sidewalk expansion and minor road upgrades.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 02:44 PM   #4646
Suburbanist
on the road

One more question to bother you all: are snowmobiles classified as road vehicles for tax and driving licensing purposes in Norway?
Old January 14th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #4647
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Any particular reason for that design?

-------------------------------------
My guess is the magazine-length of vehicles waiting for a ferry. If it was to be places opposite it would probably have had to be more tunneled than it already is. But I might be wrong.
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #4648
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E39 Kvivsvegen

Kvivsvegen is a new route of E39 between Hornindal and Volda (Møre og Romsdal). It is a bit longer from Nordfjordeid, but shorter from Stryn and it eliminates a ferry crossing (Folkestad-Volda). It opened to traffic in 2012 and is untolled.

It is one of the few roads in the region where you can drive with the cruise control engaged at 80 km/h, it almost felt like motorway driving compared to the curvy roads elsewhere in the area.

1. Start of Kvivsvegen, just after the Fv. 60 turnoff.

E39 Kvivsvegen-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

2. The 6.5 kilometer long Kvivstunnel. It was built on a route where no roads existed before.

E39 Kvivsvegen-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

E39 Kvivsvegen-5 by European Roads, on Flickr

E39 Kvivsvegen-6 by European Roads, on Flickr

E39 Kvivsvegen-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

E39 Kvivsvegen-9 by European Roads, on Flickr

7. There is a rest area at the Hjartåberg Tunnel.

E39 Kvivsvegen-11 by European Roads, on Flickr

E39 Kvivsvegen-12 by European Roads, on Flickr

9. The Rotsethorn Tunnel (4 km). It was built in 1999 and extended in 2012 (from 2 to 4 kilometers).

E39 Kvivsvegen-13 by European Roads, on Flickr

10. Volda.

E39 Kvivsvegen-14 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old January 16th, 2017, 11:02 PM   #4649
LegendMeadow

Likes (Received): 2

The road standard looks like Rv. 80 from Fauske-Bodø. Nice.
LegendMeadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #4650
Suburbanist
on the road

Switzerland built (since early 20th century and before that on railways) snow sheds to keep several roads opened during winter, or most of winter. Many of those were now permanent structures but semi-permanent ones (wood), which had to be repaired every year.

Because of that, as tunnels were built, the sheds were mostly dismantled or abandoned on old roads, because it was a very labor-intensive process. Other snow sheds became concrete semi-tunnels/galleries.

Did they use to do that, for instance, to keep a year-round road access between Stavenger, Alesund or Bergen and Oslo? Or is snowfall within hinterland Norway too wet/dense to be contained by wood snow sheds?

Furthermore: why is the Hardangervidda basically treeless? Is it just a matter or altitude, or is the soil too poor to sustain permanent trees that survive winter? I'm not sure if it is permafrost (it doesn't look like Northern Canada).

Speaking of permafrost, does Norway have any big tunnel excavated through permafrost?

gr_kanev liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 10:58 AM   #4651
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Kvivsvegen is a new route of E39 between Hornindal and Volda (Møre og Romsdal). It is a bit longer from Nordfjordeid, but shorter from Stryn and it eliminates a ferry crossing (Folkestad-Volda). It opened to traffic in 2012 and is untolled.

It is one of the few roads in the region where you can drive with the cruise control engaged at 80 km/h, it almost felt like motorway driving compared to the curvy roads elsewhere in the area.
You need to do some more driving in the region, I drive from home to work every day with the cruise control on, I often drive from Molde to Ålesund with the cruise control on, and drive from Molde to Eide and Kristiansund over the Atlantic Rd with my cruise control on. All these roads are 80kph for most of the way.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 04:35 PM   #4652
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well you can't do that often in the areas of Stryn, Skei, Geiranger, Åndalsnes. At least not to the extend that you can do that on Kvivsvegen. I really liked Rv. 15 from the Oppljos Tunnel to Lom though, very scenic, almost un-Norwegian dry land and light traffic and mostly straight roads. It was one of the few roads I've driven in that area that has a 90 km/h speed limit.
Old January 17th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #4653
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I took a photo of riksvei 15 near Grotli:

Riksvei 15-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

This is Dønfoss, a waterfall near Bismo. Riksvei 15 crosses it. It is one of the driest areas in Europe, Skjåk has an annual precipitation of 279 mm, which is similar to the driest areas in Spain or Greece.

Dønfoss-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY, gr_kanev, Luki_SL, pai nosso, tomPunk liked this post
Old January 17th, 2017, 07:53 PM   #4654
Antonio227
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3074

Sober & nice. Good landscape.
Antonio227 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 09:59 PM   #4655
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Andalsnes to Vestnes and on to Alesund you can, also Andalsnes to Dombas is a fast road. I drive an Audi A6 Avant with radar cruise control it's a good car for shitty Norwegian roads.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #4656
Suburbanist
on the road

I also think Norway doesn't have the best of road networks, but, then, it is a 6-million people country with a very large and extremely challenging territory. I still hope freeway links to Trondheim, Alesun, Bergen and Stavenger from Oslo are completed.

This all being said, I think they should build more high-performance 1+1 with more grade separation. On the other hand, focusing on tunnels and bridges is probably a political necessity.

If only places like Gol, Dombàs or Mo I Rana were big enough to form nodes...
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:05 PM   #4657
LegendMeadow

Likes (Received): 2

5 million*
LegendMeadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 11:35 PM   #4658
Suburbanist
on the road

When was first possible to travel between Oslo and each major city in all-paved roads? I read somewhere that E6 was not fully paved until the early 1980s in Finnmark, up to Kirkenes, which had been connected by paved roads with southern Norway only through Swedish roads.

What about road links to Tromso, Trondheim, Alesund, Bergen, Stavanger and Kristiansand?
Old January 20th, 2017, 01:43 AM   #4659
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

Quote:
When was first possible to travel between Oslo and each major city in all-paved roads? I read somewhere that E6 was not fully paved until the early 1980s in Finnmark, up to Kirkenes, which had been connected by paved roads with southern Norway only through Swedish roads.

What about road links to Tromso, Trondheim, Alesund, Bergen, Stavanger and Kristiansand?
According to Norwegian Wikipedia the last bit of E6 in Finnmark was paved in 1986. This seems a bit late, but as you say this area is served by roads via Sweden/Finland and since 1955 you can travel between the countries without passport.

Last edited by metasmurf; January 20th, 2017 at 01:51 AM.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 08:55 AM   #4660
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:

To Bergen it was 1991, the opening of the Gudvangen tunnel. Until then there was no continuous road at all, neither paved or not.

To Tromsø there isn't either, even today, except through Sweden.

Tags
norway