daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #4741
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Pictures from the construction of the Hålgoland suspension bridge in Mars:

Ma, get the roller blades!!
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #4742
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsus View Post
Yes, the idea is for through traffic to pass (although not at full speed) if a vehicle is waiting to make a left turn. The road marking is let out at this solution does`nt set any demands on the geometry of the trough-lane. It`s basically a widening with 2/3 of the widening behind the central line of the left-turn road, and 1/3 after. Is saves the space needed to make the intersection and is cheaper, as the widening is of a smaller extend that a full-channaled intersection. Used when the number of turning vehicles and through traffic is very low. Normally you`ll be able to drive straight through.
Thanks. I've rarely ever had to bypass traffic turning left on such roads, so they are indeed for infrequently used side roads. Larger intersections tend to have separate left turning lanes.

I wonder why Norway is the only - or one of the few - countries to use this system, I don't recall seeing it anywhere else. It's probably a cheap way to improve safety and traffic flow. Typically even the main 80 km/h roads don't have heavy traffic volumes. This example was on E39 Kvivsvegen near Volda.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 12:07 AM   #4743
flusispieler

Likes (Received): 16

I know of at least one of them here in Germany (it does have arrows painted on the road, though. It can be found here. Unfortunately it's hardly visible on Google Maps because of the trees, but there's a historic 2007 image on Google Earth where it's well visible.
flusispieler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 06:12 AM   #4744
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Here is one with a larger traffic volume, ådt here is 13000:

https://www.google.no/maps/@59.12168...7i13312!8i6656
Old April 9th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #4745
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I wonder why Norway is the only - or one of the few - countries to use this system, I don't recall seeing it anywhere else. It's probably a cheap way to improve safety and traffic flow. Typically even the main 80 km/h roads don't have heavy traffic volumes. This example was on E39 Kvivsvegen near Volda.
It is quite a common standard in Finland, too, for the same reasons: A well-working trade-off between cost, safety and fluency.

12,3223 Hauho

66,338 Ruovesi
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 06:44 PM   #4746
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1318

Something similar is also quite common on Latvian regional highways.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #4747
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Is it really too expensive to make it into a proper turning lane?
Old April 9th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #4748
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is it really too expensive to make it into a proper turning lane?
The other way round: Why to use money to solve a problem which is not a problem?

Rob73 liked this post
Old April 13th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #4749
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

A Dutch cyclist complaining commenting on the conditions for rural/long-distance cycling in Norway regarding tunnels

Old April 17th, 2017, 01:38 AM   #4750
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Here is one with a larger traffic volume, ådt here is 13000:

https://www.google.no/maps/@59.12168...7i13312!8i6656
Another one with 14 000 AADT, to a left turn which irregularly sees a lot of traffic:

https://goo.gl/maps/D1RnmNKh2ot (look at the satellite images, and not street view, as the latter is not up to date.)

And close by there is yet another one:
https://goo.gl/maps/h7h42Mwfz2E2

Even the main highways have some of these, like Rv3 south-west of Løten (here construction of a new express road will start soon):

https://goo.gl/maps/H2SbkhHtUG42

Hence, this solution is not only used on low-traffic roads, which is in conformance with the SVV tendency of doing things on the cheap. Having said that, all these spots were problematic both with respect to safety and traffic flow, and adding some lane width is better than doing nothing.

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; April 17th, 2017 at 03:15 PM.
54°26′S 3°24′E está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:55 AM   #4751
54°26′S 3°24′E

Quote:
A Dutch cyclist complaining commenting on the conditions for rural/long-distance cycling in Norway regarding tunnels.
Well, usually there are alternative routes, except in the cases where:
  1. The tunnel substituted an unsafe section, eg with falling rocks, which post-tunnel has been closed/not maintained
  2. There were no link prior to the tunnel, this is the case with most submarine tunnels
For the latter category, the construction of a (long) tunnel does neither improve nor worsen the situation for the bicyclist. Both before and after alternative means of transportation, like pt, had to be used (except that normally short ferry link run more frequently than eg rural bus routes).

The videos however made me aware of this interesting map of Norwegian road tunnels:. http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/maps/tunnelmaplrge.shtml

The database which is displayed in the map has 1061 entries, but by comparing with my own local area I see a couple of (shorter) tunnels missing, and dual tube tunnels are counted only once. Extrapolating to the whole country, the real number of tunnels hence is even higher.

Ps: In fact there are 1 174 tunnels in Norway according to the official SVV map (https://www.vegvesen.no/vegkart/vegkart/) which only includes public roads, and not private ones like the submarine Melkøysund tunnel:https://no.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melk%C3%B8ysundtunnelen

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; April 18th, 2017 at 01:32 AM.
Old April 18th, 2017, 02:18 AM   #4752
LegendMeadow

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
A Dutch cyclist complaining commenting on the conditions for rural/long-distance cycling in Norway regarding tunnels

I'm a car-centric guy, and see no problem with this.
LegendMeadow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #4753
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Riksvei 5, Fjærland Tunnel

A truck caught fire in the Fjærland Tunnel on Monday. It is now closed for at least a couple of days. There is no quick detour, Gaularfjellet is still closed, so traffic needs to take a detour via Fv. 55 and E39, which is up to 190 kilometers and 3.5 hours longer than the regular Fjærland - Skei trip (30 km, 30 minutes).

Feiebil som brann i Fjærlandstunnelen 17.4. 2017. Foto: Jens Tveit/Statens vegvesen by Statens vegvesen Region vest, on Flickr

Fjærlandstunnelen etter brannen. Foto: Jens Tveit/Statens vegvesen by Statens vegvesen Region vest, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

g.spinoza liked this post
Old April 19th, 2017, 02:54 PM   #4754
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Regarding cycling in tunnels, some of these don't seem particularly healthy to me to cycle through, due to a lack of ventilation.

Some of those are signed:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist liked this post
Old April 19th, 2017, 04:37 PM   #4755
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2107

I think that tunnel needs more than just a couple of days of closure...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #4756
8166UY

Likes (Received): 294

Indeed, even as a Dutch I would say it's not the proper place to bike. Just accept that the country consists out of mountain ridges where they have tried to cram in some roads just to have at least something. If you don't want to drive, just take the public transport. Not every country is as flat and easily plan-able as the Netherlands.

Bjørne liked this post
8166UY está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 04:47 PM   #4757
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I think that tunnel needs more than just a couple of days of closure...
There is a plan to open the tunnel in a convoy driving mode as soon as it has been cleared and found safe.
Old April 19th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #4758
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Norwegian tunnels also seem to have far less equipment installed than in many other parts of Europe. Many don't have ventilation, no escape tubes, hence no escape doors, etc. Also, they don't have cladding that can be damaged during a fire, it's just bare rock, often just some shotcrete at best.
Old April 19th, 2017, 05:52 PM   #4759
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E6 Oslo

The Bryn Tunnel in Oslo reopens to two-tube, four-lane traffic on April 29th, after an extensive renovation.

It's kind of extreme to reduce a four lane expressway with 70,000 vehicles per day to only two-lane operations for over a year, but I don't think they had many options here.

Before renovation in 2014:

Ring 3-7 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old April 19th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #4760
54°26′S 3°24′E

Driving in Oslo is not always fun, but in a city it is still easier for many to adapt, though, by using other routes, modes, and schedules of transportation. Unfortunately, this is only one in a long sequence of renovations of the Oslo tunnels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Norwegian tunnels also seem to have far less equipment installed than in many other parts of Europe. Many don't have ventilation, no escape tubes, hence no escape doors, etc. Also, they don't have cladding that can be damaged during a fire, it's just bare rock, often just some shotcrete at best.
I have heard that it is no longer allowed to leave new tunnels with bare rock. I am not sure where this regulation comes from, which not always makes sense when the rock is of high quality. In general, new EU requirements have lead to a sharp increase in the construction and operational costs for tunnels, especially for longer tunnels. In reality, it is often less deadly accidents inside than outside tunnels in Norway, so some of these requirements seem a bit excessive.

ChrisZwolle liked this post

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; April 19th, 2017 at 10:21 PM.

Tags
norway