daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2017, 08:53 AM   #4761
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
Well, usually there are alternative routes, except in the cases where:
  1. The tunnel substituted an unsafe section, eg with falling rocks, which post-tunnel has been closed/not maintained
  2. There were no link prior to the tunnel, this is the case with most submarine tunnels
For the latter category, the construction of a (long) tunnel does neither improve nor worsen the situation for the bicyclist. Both before and after alternative means of transportation, like pt, had to be used (except that normally short ferry link run more frequently than eg rural bus routes).

I can think of several ferry links around where I live that have been replaced by tunnels, there's no alternative routes for cyclists for any of them.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #4762
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

But these fjords were not easily traversed by bike before either, unless you used PT (by ferry) which most likely still is an option (by bus or taxi) or got a hitch from someone with a car, which was my point.
Old April 20th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #4763
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
But these fjords were not easily traversed by bike before either, unless you used PT (by ferry) which most likely still is an option (by bus or taxi) or got a hitch from someone with a car, which was my point.
The cyclists perhaps should create a group and have a car with a trailer. One member drives the car, and the others join at the long tunnels. The car driver turn may change in the daily basis, thus giving everyone a chance to have a rest.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 11:53 AM   #4764
MattiG

Quote:
I have heard that it is no longer allowed to leave new tunnels with bare rock. I am not sure where this regulation comes from, which not always makes sense when the rock is of high quality. In general, new EU requirements have lead to a sharp increase in the construction and operational costs for tunnels, especially for longer tunnels. In reality, it is often less deadly accidents inside than outside tunnels in Norway, so some of these requirements seem a bit excessive.
At least the EU Tunnel Directive says nothing about the tunnel walls. Thus, the regulation might be Norway-originated.

Making a kind of a concrete vault inside the tunnel potentially makes it easier to solve the the two main pain points of the Norwegian tunnels: Rock instability and waterproofing.

The authorities, I believe, do not want see another incident like what happened in Hanekleivitunnel (200 cubic meters of ceiling collapsed).

The earlier method to do waterproofing by injecting PE foam in the tunnel walls was later found a disaster: The foam is highly flammable. In tests, the burning foam has created a temperature up to 1350 degrees centigrade.
Old April 20th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #4765
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

They should use specially-equipped shuttle buses to carry bicycles across tunnels where cycling is forbidden.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 12:56 PM   #4766
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
They should use specially-equipped shuttle buses to carry bicycles across tunnels where cycling is forbidden.
The same principle should be extended to Sahara. If someone desperately wants to cycle on areas unsuitable cycling, a shuttle bus is the solution.
Old April 20th, 2017, 01:38 PM   #4767
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
How impractical is that?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #4768
54°26′S 3°24′E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
At least the EU Tunnel Directive says nothing about the tunnel walls. Thus, the regulation might be Norway-originated.

Making a kind of a concrete vault inside the tunnel potentially makes it easier to solve the the two main pain points of the Norwegian tunnels: Rock instability and waterproofing.

The authorities, I believe, do not want see another incident like what happened in Hanekleivitunnel (200 cubic meters of ceiling collapsed).

The earlier method to do waterproofing by injecting PE foam in the tunnel walls was later found a disaster: The foam is highly flammable. In tests, the burning foam has created a temperature up to 1350 degrees centigrade.
Using concrete vault on places with rock instability was used before though, many tunnels do not have such problems.
Old April 20th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #4769
54°26′S 3°24′E

Fosen bridges

The locals at Fosen are still working hard to realize a floating bridge across the Trondheimsfjord which is previously discussed here, which together with another bridge across a sidefjord (Stjørnfjorden) at the north side and a new tunnel on the Trondheim-side (south shore) promises to drastically shorten commuting times to the city. 6000-7000 AADT across the main bridge and total investment costs of 12 billion NOK is estimated by the bridge company established by the north shore municipalities. We will (maybe) see how realistic these figures are...

Old April 20th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #4770
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Its evident that tunnels are worse for cyclists than the ferry. I was once in the Hurum side with a bike looking for a bus to take me to Drøbak, but since there was none i just went somewhere else instead. Usually when you cycle in the country it's for leisure anyway - like this Dutch tourist. Generally there is made an effort for cyclists when it's doable - look at the Hardanger bridge for example.
Old April 21st, 2017, 11:51 PM   #4771
54°26′S 3°24′E

I won't argue with that, and agree that my initial statement perhaps was more principal than, what should I say, practical. In most cases there are bus links, though, (although that apparantly had zero success in the Oslo-fjord tunnel case, probably primarily due to more attractive options via Oslo or Moss-Horten?), and taxi is available everywhere, although usually at a higher cost than the ferry.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 12:55 PM   #4772
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Its evident that tunnels are worse for cyclists than the ferry. I was once in the Hurum side with a bike looking for a bus to take me to Drøbak, but since there was none i just went somewhere else instead. Usually when you cycle in the country it's for leisure anyway - like this Dutch tourist. Generally there is made an effort for cyclists when it's doable - look at the Hardanger bridge for example.
The international marine law states that the shipmaster is required to get all the relevant information about the coming route, including regulations, obstacles and hazards. The same approach should be followed in all travel, in order to avoid unnecessary disappointments.

Information about unsuitable tunnels to cyclists in Norway is easy to find. There are a lot of red markings in the SW Norway, thus not necessarily reflecting the most optimal destination.

Old April 26th, 2017, 12:10 PM   #4773
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Statens Vegvesen dismissed the plan by Nye Veier to use less frost insulation on E6 along Mjøsa to cut cost. They say what will be cheaper to construct, will be more expensive to repair in the long run.

https://www.nrk.no/ho/vegdirektorate...e6_-1.13489235

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 12:21 AM   #4774
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

New lamps with LED is being installed all over the country, but they seem to not be working properly, i see them quite often going nuts like this:

Also, i tought this was kind of funny (but humour i guess)

ChrisZwolle, Kunagi liked this post
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #4775
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rv. 13 Svo Tunnel

Alternative 2b has been selected for the Riksvei 13 avalanche mitigation project between Tau and Årdal (Rogaland). It will extend the existing Svo Tunnel to a length of 10 kilometers, which would make it the sixth longest road tunnel in Norway as of 2017, but some other tunnels will open before the Svo Tunnel extension is completed (including the nearby 14.3 kilometer long Ryfylke Tunnel).

Old April 28th, 2017, 03:02 PM   #4776
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10047

From the construction of the Nordbyveien Bro in Ski outside of Oslo. This bridge is part of the reconstruction scheme for Ski station which in turns is part of the larger Follobanen railway project.

Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #4777
Gsus

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Alternative 2b has been selected for the Riksvei 13 avalanche mitigation project between Tau and Årdal (Rogaland). It will extend the existing Svo Tunnel to a length of 10 kilometers, which would make it the sixth longest road tunnel in Norway as of 2017, but some other tunnels will open before the Svo Tunnel extension is completed (including the nearby 14.3 kilometer long Ryfylke Tunnel).

Must say I´m worried about the ever inceasing number of very long single-tube tunnels here in Norway. A large fatal gasoline-fire in a tunnel is only waiting to happen. Firefighers won`t be able to do much in such cases, with extreme temperature and oxygen it will be impossible to get into the tunnel with vehicles. They`ll have to wait for it to burn out. And with the ever increasing kilometers of main road inside this tunnels, the chance of being caught in one of them increases

g.spinoza liked this post
Gsus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 05:39 PM   #4778
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They don't seem to use the European tunnel categorization in Norway. The EU classifies its tunnels from A to E, with A being no restrictions and E most restrictive. Most tunnels in the EU are category B or C, prohibiting some kind of dangerous goods.

Though I understand that in Norway there aren't always viable alternative routes for dangerous goods available. Maybe that's why they haven't implemented it, it would restrict so many tunnels to the point they become obstacles to transportation instead of beneficial.
Old April 30th, 2017, 03:12 PM   #4779
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

3D renderings about different options to build a fixed link across Sognefjorden (road E39 north of Bergen)

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #4780
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They don't seem to use the European tunnel categorization in Norway. The EU classifies its tunnels from A to E, with A being no restrictions and E most restrictive. Most tunnels in the EU are category B or C, prohibiting some kind of dangerous goods.
Perhaps they use, and categorize all tunnels as A.

Tags
norway