daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2017, 01:01 PM   #4981
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
My main point, which was perhaps not very clearly conveyed, was that at least the US road network was not built with only capacity in mind, but also to tie the country together with a high speed road network for both cars and trucks. Portions of this network (in the north and west in particular) still have very light traffic compared with what can be expected on the four lane sections of "Bedre Veier".
The US interstate network was built for the rapid movement of troops and war materials around the country, hence the official name Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways. The fact that it made personal transport between cities easier was a nice byproduct.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #4982
sotonsi

It was also about interstate commerce, and improving transport across the nation, hence Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways.

That said, almost all of the really quiet routes are linking well populated areas that are a long way apart. Trondheim and Bergen are not well populated enough to justify hundreds of kilometres of new road to create a high speed road connection to Oslo (and thus the rest of Europe). eg I-80 from Salt Lake City to Reno is a long empty stretch, but it's the link from the Chicago area to Northern California - there's millions of people at either end.

Penn's Woods, Rob73 liked this post

Last edited by sotonsi; September 26th, 2017 at 04:52 PM.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 09:54 AM   #4983
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
Air travel hassles Norway??? All those words in the same sentence?? I don't know if you do much air travel outside of Norway but air travel inside Norway is about as seamless and trouble free as air travel can be, it doesn't get any better than Norway. For example I can leave home in Molde at 6.00, be on the 6.50 flight to Oslo and be at my company's head office before 9.00.

Car or rail will never be able to beat that or be as cheap.

The only hassle in Norway is Norwegians inability to understand the concept of PRIORITY BOARDING!!!
Molde has a small airport (no pun intended), but it is also my experience that three hours is the shortest door to door travel you can hope for, but only late at night. If traveling at busier times, or if ground transportation in either end is slightly more complicated, you often end up with a slightly longer travel time, comparable to the 3.5 to 4 hours car travel that might be expected between the Norwegian cities if there were motorways between them, not taking into account additional time caused by schedule inflexibility in air travel (which I assume is more of a problem for Molde - Oslo than on the bigger routes)

I am not saying that all domestic business air travel will evaporate if we had motorways, but I am sure a sizable portion will prefer the personal space, flexibility, and point to point travel offered by car travel. Others may relax better using eg bus, which also go into the city centers and is better than air for in-between destinations. A few decades ahead, autonomous cars will offer the perfect combination of these two options. Basically you could have your own traveling office....

BTW, IMO priority boarding is idiotic and only delay flights. Who wants to be in that cramped space longer than necessary? I am always among the last to board. Priority security, on the other hand, is great, and has saved me a lot of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
It was also about interstate commerce, and improving transport across the nation, hence Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways.

That said, almost all of the really quiet routes are linking well populated areas that are a long way apart. Trondheim and Bergen are not well populated enough to justify hundreds of kilometres of new road to create a high speed road connection to Oslo (and thus the rest of Europe). eg I-80 from Salt Lake City to Reno is a long empty stretch, but it's the link from the Chicago area to Northern California - there's millions of people at either end.
I would argue that this is similar to the southern Norwegian case, though. The population centers may not be as big, but the desolate distances are also orders of magnitude shorter. Also in Norway freight is an important reason to improve the roads.

BTW, while most of the even-numbered east-western interstates connect great population centers (even I-94 could be said to connect Minneapolis with the west, although I-90 is an alternative) , this is often not the case with the odd-numbered interstates going towards the Canadian border, eg I-15, I-29, and I-95.

g.spinoza liked this post

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; September 27th, 2017 at 04:19 PM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 12:06 PM   #4984
Rob73

If you remove the 4 main airports (OSL, BGO, SVG, TRD) all the other airports in Norway are pretty similar to Molde, the experience I have will be replicated all over the country.

That said I completely support the upgrading of Norway’s motorways. Using Molde as an example the road from Molde to the E6 is abysmal, there's a Langfjord that needs to be crossed and the road from Andalsness to Dombas is substandard. It really pisses me off when billions can be found to link up a number of small islands to Ålesund with a tiny permanent population when a major crossing like Sølsnes-Åfarnes is still a decade or longer away from a fixed link.
Old September 28th, 2017, 04:01 PM   #4985
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Starting 1 October, the westbound E18 from Lysaker to Sandvika (west of Oslo) will be reduced to two lanes as the third lane becomes a bus lane.

https://www.vegvesen.no/Europaveg/e1...er-og-sandvika

Why is this so necessary to become a free-flow bus lane? There is a railroad corridor right next to it. Will electric cars be allowed on it? That would increase usage of the bus lane and reduce traffic on the two remaining general purpose lanes.

E18 carries 90,000 vehicles per day on this section which is very high for only four lanes. This will likely increase traffic congestion on the west side of Oslo. It's a futile hope that people would shift to public transit by changing a general purpose lane into a bus lane.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #4986
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10026

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Will electric cars be allowed on it?
Yes, but they will need two more people in the car to use it during the rush hour.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 04:40 PM   #4987
ChrisZwolle
Road user

So it's an E-HOV lane
Old September 28th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #4988
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Strangling the traffic is the tactic all over urban Norway. Even some infrastructure funding is tied to reduction in car traffic. The tactics does lead to somewhat less driven kms in the cities, but I doubt the environmental impact is that positive as traffic jams have a high emission level per (fossile) car.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 10:49 PM   #4989
ChrisZwolle
Road user

E16 Filefjell

They have upgraded a 20 kilometer section of E16 across Filefjell, including the 5.8 kilometer long Filefjell Tunnel. The upgraded section will officially open to traffic tomorrow.

NRK made a timelapse video: https://www.nrk.no/ho/_kjor_-nye-e16...ell-1.13710538

It's a huge improvement over the old road which was narrow with no center line in many places. The new road has wide lanes, hardened shoulders and gentle curves.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

pedrofil, Galro liked this post
Old September 29th, 2017, 11:17 AM   #4990
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Yes, but they will need two more people in the car to use it during the rush hour.
Isn't it allowed to any vehicle with two or more people, regardless of the power source?

Last edited by OulaL; September 29th, 2017 at 11:27 PM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 11:17 AM   #4991
Rob73

Quote:
They have upgraded a 20 kilometer section of E16 across Filefjell, including the 5.8 kilometer long Filefjell Tunnel. The upgraded section will officially open to traffic tomorrow.

NRK made a timelapse video: https://www.nrk.no/ho/_kjor_-nye-e16...ell-1.13710538

It's a huge improvement over the old road which was narrow with no center line in many places. The new road has wide lanes, hardened shoulders and gentle curves.

And not a single passing lane along the entire 20km length plus single tube tunnels. Both are fails in my opinion!
Old September 29th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #4992
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The AADT is under 1000 vehicles per day.
Old September 29th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #4993
pedrofil

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:

A very pleasing and scenic drive. A good and safe alternative for winter passing. Now, I hope they can't start improving the much better alternative for Oslo - Bergen: Hemsedal.
pedrofil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #4994
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Isn't it allowed to any vehicle with two or more people, regardless of the of the power source?
No, only electric cars.
Old September 29th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #4995
Galro

E 105 Hesseng - Storskog in Finnmark at Russia boarder opened today. It was shown a few pages back, but here are some more pictures.

https://www.vareveger.no/artikler/ap...nseland/408566

Highway89, Luki_SL liked this post
Old September 29th, 2017, 10:23 PM   #4996
Heico-M

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
And not a single passing lane along the entire 20km length plus single tube tunnels. Both are fails in my opinion!
At least they haven't built a 20 km long 1+1 road with a middle barrier
Heico-M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 11:42 PM   #4997
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
No, only electric cars.
I see.

I'd say the biggest problem with private cars in densely built areas is that they take space. Though pollution is an important factor as well, its importance diminishes as engine technology improves, but meanwhile the size of the cars pretty much stays the same. (And of course the safety distances stay the same, as they depend on the speed and not the size of the car anyway.)

So I thought it would have been locigal to encourage ride sharing altogether.

zaphod liked this post

Last edited by OulaL; September 29th, 2017 at 11:50 PM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #4998
Galro

Keep in mind that the default is that electric cars should be allowed to use bus lanes in Norway. The rules that they need two or more person in the car during rush hour represent a restriction of the default state and it is there to reduce the number of cars in the bus lanes, not to encourage ride sharing as such.
Old September 30th, 2017, 05:06 PM   #4999
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some bus lanes become overwhelmed with electric cars, making it a de-facto third lane for general traffic use.

The lane on the left is a bus lane:
Old October 1st, 2017, 01:13 PM   #5000
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The new Fylkesvei 456 tunnel in Kristiansand flooded after excessive rainfall. The tunnel opened in 2014.

Tags
norway