daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2018, 12:40 PM   #5161
54░26′S 3░24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Nye veier has released some more information regarding their plans for E6 in Tr°ndelag, north and south of Trondheim. Of the 108 km they are mandated to construct, only 12 km will not be of motorway standard and 110 km/h. Challenging terrain and hence high costs are given as reasons for these exceptions. The plans, especially south of Trondheim, are still under progress, though. All in all this will be a great improvement compared with the current situation, even if I in the ideal world would like to see a motorway completed all the way to Trondheim-Oslo ASAP.....

ChrisZwolle liked this post
54░26′S 3░24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2018, 04:14 PM   #5162
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54░26′S 3░24′E View Post
I do not feel discriminated, but you pretty much sums up why I did not end up with an electric car last time. Nevertheless, I believe electric cars are the future, and Musk certainly deserves some praise for being visionary. Too bad he scrapped battery switch, though, it would have eliminated the "range fear" associated with electric cars.

I don't think electric is the future, it's a side road, I believe hydrogen is the way ahead, it solves the problem of range, refuelling and is a plentiful resource that we have more of it than we will ever use.

ollo liked this post
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 10:59 PM   #5163
Stafangr

Likes (Received): 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob73 View Post
I don't think electric is the future, it's a side road, I believe hydrogen is the way ahead, it solves the problem of range, refuelling and is a plentiful resource that we have more of it than we will ever use.
I think electric is the future for small vehicles (cars, buses, vans/lorries, etc.), medium sized ships in coastal traffic, and trains in urban areas, while hydrogen is the future for large ships, train lines which go outside the urban areas, and trucks doing long-distance routes.
Stafangr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 02:11 AM   #5164
54░26′S 3░24′E

Likes (Received): 155

The hydrogen chain has very low efficiency, as you have exergy losses both during production and in the engine or fuel cell. It is also has low energy density under realizable pressures in a vehicle. I do believe hydrogen could have a future as a clean energy carrier for remote power production and have a role in clean energy production from fossile or biofuels(eg. natural gas conversion to hydrogen and CO2, CO2 is stored (CCS), and hydrogen runs a thermal power plant. I actually also think that hydrogen can have a future in aviation, where the weight of batteries could be a problem. However, obviously, the extreme flammability of hydrogen compared for instance with the relevant competitor biodiesel is an obvious issue which has to be dealt with. It should be noted that hydrogen ignite at almost any concentration in air, natural gad/methane is actually very safe in comparison.

Batteries will drastically improve, but already today the perceived problem of range is commercial, not technical. Tesla has already proved that it is possible to change batteries faster than fossile cars are refueled. A uniform standard for batteries will come due to the need of recycling. As this happens I am sure that commercial models for battery swap will be found, and range fear will be history.

Oh, and hydrogen is not an energy resource, it is only an energy carrier.

Last edited by 54░26′S 3░24′E; January 13th, 2018 at 11:57 AM.
54░26′S 3░24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM   #5165
Rob73

Likes (Received): 175

Batteries will improve until we run out of the resources needed to produce them, there's also the issue of disposal of them at EOL.

Battery swap was dumped because it's not cost effective, supercharger stations don't need to be manned, battery swap stations do, you'd need at least 6-12 stations in a city the size of Oslo to make it convenient for users.
Rob73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM   #5166
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2081

Tesla itself doesn't believe in fast swap:

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-shut...superchargers/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54░26′S 3░24′E View Post
Batteries will drastically improve, but already today the perceived problem of range is commercial, not technical. Tesla has already proved that it is possible to change batteries faster than fossile cars are refueled. A uniform standard for batteries will come due to the need of recycling. As this happens I am sure that commercial models for battery swap will be found, and range fear will be history.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM   #5167
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10017

Some looks at the e16 Filefjell project.

ollo, DJaCoNdA liked this post
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway