daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #521
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

Rv 25 needs to be national, since all Norwegian roads are terrible it's the best access to the Swedish road-network that most use going north! But Rv25 has a pretty good standard already considering... ;D It makes sense to gather the roads under the county for better planning, why do they think they will get less money after the reform tough, let's hope they are wrong! Are they afraid of more power, or afraid they will get blamed for the bad standard?

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #522
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Rv 25 needs to be national, since all Norwegian roads are terrible it's the best access to the Swedish road-network that most use going north! But Rv25 has a pretty good standard already considering... ;D It makes sense to gather the roads under the county for better planning, why do they think they will get less money after the reform tough, let's hope they are wrong! Are they afraid of more power, or afraid they will get blamed for the bad standard?
I absolutely agree, it should be part of the national system. But I think the point made by a few Hedmark politicians is a valid one, "secondary" national roads might suffer compared to the main roads transfered to the counties. That is, if the plan is realised in its current state, I think it's pretty much a scandal to see that noone has any ideas (at least not presented to the public) about how the new numbering system will be. Are they just going to keep the old one? Pretty confusing, given that the status of most of that system will be equial to that of the old county roads...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #523
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

1. I seriously doubt there is much north/south traffic traveling via rv 25 / Trysil, or for that matter, rv 20, and those two roads are two of many I would like to remove from the national trunk network.
2. I think it is overoptimistic to believe that the counties will take better care of the highways transferred to them than the national government. I predict that we will get the same blame game as we previously had with the hospitals, i.e. the counties blaming the national government for not sending enough money, and the government blaming the counties for not doing their job. The result is that these roads will detoriate further,at best status quo in a few counties. The problem is that the counties do not really have control of their own economy.
3. A messy road numbering system is a nuiscance for the tourists, but really, in the big picture, who cares?
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #524
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
A messy road numbering system is a nuiscance for the tourists, but really, in the big picture, who cares?
I do, at least... It's not just a problem for tourists, in a country where numbered exits isn't something we will see a lot of, decently numbered national routes help. But I do agree there are more pressing matters in terms of Norwegian infrastructure.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #525
Ingenioren

A little trip on Ring3 in Oslo on a Sunday morning, so trafic is low, Starting of in Sinsen intersection, exiting Rv4 from the south:

Taking the Ring3 to the east direction Ryen:

In the last week of 60km/h limit, here Vegvesenet is kindly telling those trapped in jams, they only have to wait untill 2013 for the new tunnel;D

Huge sidewalks alongside the Ring, even tough the sign, i have never experienced it to be closed...

Here's the worksite for eastern ending of Lørentunnelen:

Driving on a temporary alignment here, more of the route will be shifted later on:

Shouldn't they plaster over the 60-signs here?

Intersection where Ring 3 merges with E6 is being worked on aswell as a new local road crossing over, buildings are located very close to the road here:

They have teared down a bikebridge just to put up a temporary one, and they are working on an roadbridge behind that one:

New exit for E6 north (Actually east trough Oslo, but but):

Exit to Helsfyr and the shortcut to E18, strangely they didn't find that worth signing... Note the cool new glas-monster there, said to blind drivers when the sun is reflected;D

Bryn exit, commonly used as a shortcut in rushhour, creating even more jam... ;P

Furusetbanen T-bane crosses right above the road, and the local rail station Bryn is located under the bridge, only E6 on the sign here:

Lamberseterbanen T-bane follows the ringroad, more wide sidewalks - a paralell bikeway has also been built here (See the lightpoles right of the tracks), so it could just aswell been turned into a buslane imo.

Manglerud exit is basicly just a T-intersection, one of the more dangerous on this road - and some call this a motorway... ;P Here the buslane starts.

Manglerud T-bane station:

Ryen intersection - ending point of Ring 3, E18 is not signed here either altough this is the only 4 lane "expressway" towards E18 from the south, typical Oslo with the large roundabout on top of Ring 3.

E6 continous south with more of a motorway character, still 80km/h tough:

Old April 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #526
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Nice pics. They're not afraid to sign foreign destinations in Norway very good.

I can't say I like the yellow signage too much for motorways though.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #527
Ingenioren

It's not morway, hence the low standard aubviously, if you look a few pages back, i have taken pictures of the E6 motorway (while parts of it was still U/C) to the swedish border - signs are blue for motorway;D
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #528
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Just like a "Gelbe Autobahn"
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #529
Ingenioren

The part of E18 Momarken - Melleby (7) will not be 4 lane all the way, it will gradualy become narrower towards the east, but directions will be separated all the way:

New intersection at Momarken with Rv22:

http://www.smaalenene.no/nyheter/article4267830.ece

Construction starts in 2011, and the whole stretch will be 90km/h.
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #530
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Nice pics! I noticed two Polish trucks in the last pictures.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #531
Red-Lion

Likes (Received): 0

This is how the new "Tjensvollkrysset" (famous roundabout in Stavanger) will look like:
(Notice how blocked the view is.)

Links for videos:
http://www.aftenbladet.no/lokalt/article1019212.ece
http://www.aftenbladet.no/lydbildese...llkrysset.html (pretty new one, but in norwegian)

Location (it's where E39 intersect 509):
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...,0.181961&z=13

This roundabout has a lot of traffic at the moment, but in 5?? years when the Eiganes tunnel is built under Stavanger E39 will reroute and this roundabout should see some decrease in traffic.

The reason I'm writing this is because what concerns me when I drive around in cities like Stavanger and Trondheim is the lack of YIMBYism! There are no motorways in Trondheim, even if there are 4 line roads, some got speed limits of 70km/h.
And the new 4-lane road they built of the 44 around Sandnes, is just sad! A good road that could been classified as a motorway got 2 roundabouts instead of propper bridges. Also the new proposed four-line extension southwards on E39 is planned without propper road shoulders, while the traffic is 35 000 per day, way over the "limit" for not doing this.

It was good to let go of some rage

I'm just glad the new 4-liner they plan in Trondheim gonna get motorway status :P

And to those who tell Norway are wise to save money in an oil fund, well, we just lost 30 4-line links between Bergen and Oslo worth

edit: Also to clarify something since this is my first post and all:
The speed limit on Norwegian motorways are 80 km/h by default, but normally it's marked to 90km/h, or 100km/h on some around Oslo.

Last edited by Red-Lion; April 27th, 2009 at 03:59 AM.
Red-Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #532
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

That roundabout on top is for cyclists?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #533
Ingenioren

Yes, this will be much better for bikers, bikeroutes have very varied standard here, often there are top-standard bikeroutes, but they lack the propert connections trough intersections, like here, so there is a lot of back and forth, crossings and 90 degree corneres etc, great project!

Welcome to the forum Red Lion! I to hate the motorway-roundabouts on Rv44 hopeless - unfortunatly i think that will also be the standard for E6 north of Værnes. In some cases the i agree with the nimbys tough, for example when it comes to tunneling motorways trough cities - politicians are fortunatly very early demanding long tunnels. But the best thing would be to build bypasses, it doesn't have to be motorways, but just a good standard road for long distance travellers that is not jammed with the local cities trafic, Steinkjer, Narvik and Mo I Rana are examples of where they have screwed up building new roads, just as bad as the old one trough the heart of town. And Oppdal is planning a simular deal...
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #534
Red-Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That roundabout on top is for cyclists?
Yes, cyclists and pedestrians. I got a handful of friends already crashed in that roundabout and I can't imagine this becoming better. It's a bizarre way of having fun to sit in the skybar at the nearby hotel tower and look down and count "almost" collisions and funny situations.

A lot of locals are very angry because they are using a lot of money (15 million euros+) on this roundabout, but basically it's the same design as the old one, except the pedestrian bridges was like a half square.

edit: damn beaten by Ingenioren

Last edited by Red-Lion; April 27th, 2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: clarify who i reply to :P
Old April 27th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #535
Red-Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Yes, this will be much better for bikers, bikeroutes have very varied standard here, often there are top-standard bikeroutes, but they lack the propert connections trough intersections, like here, so there is a lot of back and forth, crossings and 90 degree corneres etc, great project!

Welcome to the forum Red Lion! I to hate the motorway-roundabouts on Rv44 hopeless - unfortunatly i think that will also be the standard for E6 north of Værnes. In some cases the i agree with the nimbys tough, for example when it comes to tunneling motorways trough cities - politicians are fortunatly very early demanding long tunnels. But the best thing would be to build bypasses, it doesn't have to be motorways, but just a good standard road for long distance travellers that is not jammed with the local cities trafic, Steinkjer, Narvik and Mo I Rana are examples of where they have screwed up building new roads, just as bad as the old one trough the heart of town. And Oppdal is planning a simular deal...
Yes, I read about the discussion of long or short Eiganes tunnel, as well as prolonging it with "artificial" tunnel. If that is NIMBYism then it's a cool form of it One solution is better than no solution.

Anyway, now a environmental party "The Liberal Party of Norway" (aka. Venstre) wants to put down a lot of resources in improving E39 from Kristiansand to Trondheim, and then E6 northbound.
http://www.aftenbladet.no/innenriks/..._vei_nr_1.html
The leftwing in Norway also came with one of the better transport plans they have had in years, and the right wing is totally for improving the roads, so I hope in 10 years time we can look back and be satisfied with the development!

It's hard to predict the Stavanger-region since every municipality is doing whatever they want, and there is actually a very good agriculture protection going on in Rogaland, compared to other places, even if the farmers always whine. For example the "red/green" city of Trondheim is allowing expansions in almost any direction.

Thanks for the welcome
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #536
Ingenioren

Funny how the lefties are prettending to be so into protecting the environment, public transport and farmland, while they make a lot of trouble for themselves, refusing the plans of those wishing to build denser around the sentrum of for example Trondheim... I totally agree with Venstre tough, the areas without train should have a priority when it comes to roads, simply because it's fair

Last edited by Ingenioren; April 27th, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #537
Ingenioren

Again and again, plans are underdimensioned by Vegvesen, like in Østfold, where they built a new 3 lane road in the mid 90s, it had to be expanded, why didn't they build a full scale motorway in the first place?

A new tunnel on E39 north of Bergen with 15.000 cars a day, estimated 18 000 on the day of opening, and it's in an area of growth:

E39 will hopefully be rerouted sometime in the future, as it's long overdue, but still....

http://www.bt.no/lokalt/bergen/artic...ece_frontpage]

In the increasingly one-sided debate, it's seems we are likely to shift our way of financing roads from a tiny piece here and a tiny piece there onto larger projects that are full-financed from the start. And it will be tested on a few projects in the new transport-plan. Finally some sense, this will overall save the society a lot of money, and make it easier for contractors...

Last edited by Ingenioren; April 27th, 2009 at 01:46 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #538
Red-Lion

I drove E39 from Stavanger to Sandnes today during the late rush hours, traffic was going in 10-30 km/h on almost the complete length. Is there any plans to expand this to perhaps 3 or even 4 lines in each direction? It looks like there are space on the sides to widen the road without any problems, only problem is those two tunnels fairly near Stavanger, it was a hell to breathe inside those when the traffic was snailing and you got so many cars inside it just constantly polluting.
Old April 28th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #539
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

I guess the recent closing of Jærbanen between Stavanger and Sandnes makes the problems larger now than it usually is..

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #540
Ingenioren

Yeah, it's gets worse before it get's better as usual, i believe that it's not the motorway itself that is the cause of the big jams, they are working on several projects on the roads connecting to, i.e. Rv44 that we discussed, Solasplitten and several more local roads Rogaland has plenty of projects on the planning-stage, but not anyone including the existing motorway. So don't expect any 3 lane motorway there for a while... Also the expansion to the south is sooo slow, i think it's like under 1 km a year maximum, ridiculous...

Tags
norway