daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #561
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 920

Nope, that's too expensive:p And if they were, they would be in a tunnel.

My favorite highway stretch is also in Romerike, coming from Oslo when you just get over the hilltop and start the descending down towards Hellerudsletta. The view and landscape is fantastic! (especially in sunrise, as the last time I was there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
Closeup, it's located right at the entry of Sandesund bridge - 1,5 km long. Right bridge new, left is old:
Statens Vegvesen is so full of BS when they say they don't pay for decorations in road projects in the Bjørvika-airwent project, when they clearly fund stuff like this. Completely insane

Quote:
Shouldn't E6 south have a motorway symbol aswell?
No, because you have to pass a bridge (tunnel?) to get there..

Btw, what happened to Ingenioren, the bicycle-freak? Got a new ride you just can't lay your hands off?

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #562
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

I'm sure they will fund it eventually ;D Reason being here and other art-project is trafic-safety, while the Bjørvika-piece can't be defined as one...

Still a bike-freak, but i'm also a "tøffel" and i can't seem to get my wife with me on long bike-trips... ;D

Svinesund is about as mountainous it gets, poor tourists crossing the border thinking they are in the land of Fjords are very surpriced to see the flatlands following for hundreds of kilometers..
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #563
Ingenioren

Caos for 6 months on Oslos most important road:

From 26. October - due to roadworks on Bjørvikatunnelen, one lane in each direction will be closed on E18 trough Festningstunnelen, where 6 lanes struggles to float trafic and rush-hour lasts almost all day:

http://www.vegvesen.no/Vegprosjekter...kiv/100951.cms

One eastern lane will pass into the local road system past Havnelageret, and one will use the westbound tunnel!
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #564
Snowguy716

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post

Thank you for your nice comment. Actually, I used to know Minnesota fairly well, at least Twin Cities area, but have not been there for several years now. As a general note, there is no doubt that the Twin Cities, or Minnesota, road system in general is far superior to what you find in Norway. On the other hand, public transport and, especially, bicycle and foot path network is far better here, at least as compared with Twin Cities 15 years ago. I guess it is possible to argue that the Duluth area and the Trondheim area has some similarities. They are both close to water, have a decent harbor (probably Duluth's bigger, and anyway you cannot see the Trondheim harbor in any of my pictures....) and there are a lot of trees and moose and deer both places However, you won't find a four lane road to relatively small towns like Two Harbors in Norway, and you (hopefully) never will.

Other than that, we are all named Ole and Lena and say "uffda" all the time
Well, I'm only 23 years old, but I remember my family driving along Lake Superior to Lutsen on MN 61 before they built the tunnels. There were some pretty scary hairpin turns jutting out over the lake. Of course they have since built tunnels. I think the 4-lane expressway was part of that pretty massive project.

Here you can see the (at the time of this photo) recently completed Silver Creek Cliff tunnel, and the old road bed to the left.

This photo from the Dept. of Transportation.

But yes, I don't want to derail this topic any further. It's just kind of funny how so many Norwegian settlers came to a place that wasn't so different from home after all. And your comment about Norwegians preferring single family homes: We're exactly the same way. We all seem to have this idea that we're all "small town folk" who just ended up in the big city... and so we want to retain that small town character. The result has been massive urban sprawl.. still, Minneapolis is the 2nd best city in the country for cyclists, and our mass transit is really starting to get off the ground.
Snowguy716 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #565
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Quote:
Caos for 6 months on Oslos most important road:

From 26. October - due to roadworks on Bjørvikatunnelen, one lane in each direction will be closed on E18 trough Festningstunnelen, where 6 lanes struggles to float trafic and rush-hour lasts almost all day:

http://www.vegvesen.no/Vegprosjekter...kiv/100951.cms

One eastern lane will pass into the local road system past Havnelageret, and one will use the westbound tunnel!
Well, then it's not hard to imagine why the westbound part of Bjørvikatunnelen will be done 6 months later than the eastbound..

Old May 6th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #566
Ingenioren

^ They only mention 6 months of closedown tough, logically one would think it would be followed by 6 more months after this as you mention ;D One year of endless jams, wonder how many will park their cars because of this O3 is already struggling with high costs on projects and fewer cars trough the tolls, this will force cut-down in projects, longer timespan or higher tolls?
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #567
NorthStar77
Born to run

Likes (Received): 5

Festningstunnellen is already one huge jam
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #568
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
The new, 400+ million euro urban tunnel through Bjørvika has an expected AADT in the 110-120,000 range, still, it's just a 3+3. Tunnels where you're likely to see an AADT of 40,000 are going to be 2+2. That's fine, it's just that one lane in each direction will become a bus lane.
I agree, why not build it properly why they have the chance. Adding a few lanes now is far far cheaper than having to dig it all up again in a few years, but I guess "adding a few lanes" just is not PC...

Assuming that some of these cars rather could have used PT, this would not have been so bad though, if there were proper bypasses east-west around Oslo, however, enabling trucks from for instance Alnabru (train freight terminal) or Drammen harbor to reach their final destinations. However, there are no such bypasses around Oslo, nor plans for it...

The same has been happening in Trondheim, BTW. The new northern "bypass" of Trondheim will only be a normal two-lane road with pleny of roundabouts. With 18 000 AADT on the opening day, it will already be underdimensioned. The result will be that traffic will continue to be high through the city center. Even worse is the new bus lanes in Elgeseter gate. Sure, you have a achieved a few percent higher bus traffic, but the 35 000 cars in the remaining single lane in each direction on this city street with traffic lights, pedestrian crossings etc. is driving in the jam the whole day now, and in addition a lot of traffic is diverted to long detours just to avoid the whole street. PT might be seen as a winner, but certainly not the environment.

It is a bit interesting that that forces within the government now want to ban cars with pure combustion engines already from 2015. What would then be the environmental argument for PT vs cars, area use?

(Personally I prefer the bike, BTW!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiriksmil View Post
What do you guys think is the motorway stretch in Norway with the best scenery? I might have to go with E6n past Sharif and onwards, on a sunny day the fields are beautiful! Different strokes for different folks I guess though, haha.

We need to see some pics from E6 north of Trondheim to Finnmark (or someone need to tell me where they are posted if they are)
I think there are some pictures in this thread already, but it is a long long road....
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
Nope, that's too expensive:p And if they were, they would be in a tunnel.

My favorite highway stretch is also in Romerike, coming from Oslo when you just get over the hilltop and start the descending down towards Hellerudsletta. The view and landscape is fantastic! (especially in sunrise, as the last time I was there)

Statens Vegvesen is so full of BS when they say they don't pay for decorations in road projects in the Bjørvika-airwent project, when they clearly fund stuff like this. Completely insane

No, because you have to pass a bridge (tunnel?) to get there..

Btw, what happened to Ingenioren, the bicycle-freak? Got a new ride you just can't lay your hands off?

Quote:
My vote would go to the Svinesund bridge - except for that E6 follows the flat parts of Østfold as i shown in pictues here. Some of the motorways around Bergen offers nice scenary aswell.. =) Groruddalen is sweet for spotting commieblocks;D
Rating the highway with the best scenery would be a far more interesting question, as most motorways are located in the part of the country with the most boring scenery. However,my vote probably also goes to Svinesund, and certainly not Hellerudsletta nor Groruddalen. (You guys were kidding, right?)

I am not very familiar with the motorways around Bergen, but probably the new motorway along Mjøsa will offer some nice views (as the current road does), and E6 south (Okstadbakkene) and north of Trondheim is also quite nice, IMHO, but not yet motorways (the former will probably be motorway within 10 years, however).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowguy716 View Post
But yes, I don't want to derail this topic any further. It's just kind of funny how so many Norwegian settlers came to a place that wasn't so different from home after all.
I hear this a lot, but I cannot really agree. Most Norwegians settlers moved to southern and eastern Minnesota, i.e. on the Praire, whose farmland was far superior to what they were used to and very dissimilar from the Norway. Myself I had quite a difficult time to orientate myself in Twin Cities, because I no longer had any hills to look at that could give any hint of my location....

It is true that the Lake Superior area, at least the north-western bank, is somewhat more rugged, but only to such a degree that it has some resemblance to the least rugged parts of Norway, and AFAIK, only a minority of the Norwegians went there.

Climatewise Minnesota is also very different from Norway, as Minnesota is much more extreme in both summer and winter.

Other than that, I like Minnesota a lot, and Minneapolis is a vibrant and interesting city where I have met a lot of nice people!
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #569
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

I understand that some Norwegians only associate beautiful nature with mountains and valleys, but is it also OK to respect that others also see the beauty in other elements of our country? Surely we living in the lowlands live in dramatic scenery too.... I can try to take a picture, if you'd like...

Old May 6th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #570
Ingenioren

I agree that the hills of southern Romerike offers some very nice views like the one from E6 leaving Oslo

Nicest highway might be Rv63, altough i have many other favourites aswell:
image hosted on flickr

Maybe an upgrade of Rv23, Rv22 and Rv35 could make act more like bypasses, i know my brother uses Rv23 when he drives from Sandvika to Ås. And Halden-folks use Rv22 to Gardermoen...

Electric cars or not, there is no more room for everyone to drive in larger cities, this argument is used widely in Oslo, Fredrikstad and Stavanger atleast. i'm with you on the bike - no doubt the best alternative on short distances (5 > km) If only the law-makers would pay more respect to bikes....

Last edited by Ingenioren; May 6th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #571
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Quote:
Maybe an upgrade of Rv23, Rv22 and Rv35 could make act more like bypasses, i know my brother uses Rv23 when he drives from Sandvika to Ås.
I would think it was both much cheaper and quicker to use the train between those two destinations. No train change or anything... Well, unless he works at any other time than 8-16, though...

Old May 7th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #572
Ingenioren

It's freezing to count trafic in an intersection outside for hours, so thuss the car is a big pluss.. ;D
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #573
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Sounds like a lot of fun, anyway

Quote:
I agree that the hills of southern Romerike offers some very nice views like the one from E6 leaving Oslo

Nicest highway might be Rv63, altough i have many other favourites aswell.

Maybe an upgrade of Rv23, Rv22 and Rv35 could make act more like bypasses, i know my brother uses Rv23 when he drives from Sandvika to Ås. And Halden-folks use Rv22 to Gardermoen...

Electric cars or not, there is no more room for everyone to drive in larger cities, this argument is used widely in Oslo, Fredrikstad and Stavanger atleast. i'm with you on the bike - no doubt the best alternative on short distances (5 > km) If only the law-makers would pay more respect to bikes....
The argument is perhaps used, but is it correct? Only about 15 % of travels in our 4 biggest is by PT, compared with 60 % by car and 24 % by foot/bicycle, although the car share is smaller in the central part of the city. At the same time the car traffic in the central city areas have actually decreased lately, mainly due to restrictions in parking and closure of streets etc. It is thus probably possible to increasing the capacity somewhat with relatively inexpensive measures, if increased car traffic no longer is linked to increased (local) pollution and hence degredation of air quality of the city.

Energywise I am also a bit unsure. It has been claimed that electric cars have the smallest energy use of all kinds of kinds of motorized traffic, but this may not be true anymore compared with the bus if the electric cars no longer are confined to the "mini" class. However, one advantage compared with combustion driven cars is of course that the cold start issue is eliminated. Another aspect is that an enhanced transport network in the forms of road might generate more traffic, partly due to increased suburban sprawl, both being undesirable.

Personally I do not have any answer to these questions, but nobody really seems to have addressed them properly. This must surely be a good assignment for a studen like you, or perhaps you will have to wait until your PhD....

Regarding the best looking highway, there are just so many to pick from in Norway. Obvious candidates would be Valdresflya, E39 Ørsta, Geiranger, Trollstigen, E136 Romsdal, Rv 17 (Helgeland) and basically most of northern Norway. I guess also Atlanterhavsvegen deserves to be mentioned,a favourite spot for car commercials:

Here from a shooting by Alfa Romeo:

PS: I would say 10 km bike ride is OK!

[OT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCheese View Post
I understand that some Norwegians only associate beautiful nature with mountains and valleys, but is it also OK to respect that others also see the beauty in other elements of our country? Surely we living in the lowlands live in dramatic scenery too.... I can try to take a picture, if you'd like...
I am sorry if I was disrespectful. However, I know very well the beauty of many landscapes of Romerike (area northeast of Oslo including the Gardermoen airport), after all I have lived there for several years, although "dramatic" perhaps is not the word I would use. However, when it comes to landscapes, the competition is quite stiff in Norway.....

However, my (perhaps disrespectful) comments regarding the scenery around Hellerudsletta and Groruddalen was not related to the landscape itself, but the human activity during the last century, leaving the landscape littered with huge powerlines, trashy warehouses and retail/industrial buildings mixed with uninspiring suburban sprawl (Skjetten and Korset) or Commie-buildings (Groruddalen). Sorry, I do not see the charm, but as you imply, when it comes to taste, it is hard to have a sensible discussion.......
[/OT]
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #574
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I think that I've seen this bridge in some Dutch TV programme about travelling. Beautiful
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #575
Ingenioren

The national tourist routes:

Rv55 - Sognefjellet:

Rv258 - Gamle Strynefjellet:

Rv17 - Helgeland Nord:

E10 - Lofoten:

Rv13 - Hardanger:

Rv27 - Rondane:

Fv (Hamningberg) - Varanger:

Rv889 - Havøysund:

Rv86 - Senja:

Rv76 - Helgeland Sør:

Rv64 - Atlanterhavsveien:

Rv63 - Trollstigen:

Rv13 - Gaularfjellet:

Fv(Snøvegen) - Aurland:

Rv13 - Ryfylke:

Rv44 - Jæren:

Rv51 - Valdresflye:

Rv82 - Andøya:

http://www.turistveg.no/

Last edited by Ingenioren; May 7th, 2009 at 05:00 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #576
Ingenioren

A few shot from the new Rv48 stretch:

http://www.bygg.no/id/44007?showImage=3
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #577
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54°26′S 3°24′E View Post
shortened
I wasn't really saying that these parts of road-Norway is the most beautiful. It was just that I understood the question by Schweden to be about typical motorway class A roads, and there aren't many of these showing spectacular views of anything. Usually they don't offer any view at all, being descended into the terrain, or having huge sound-barriers around them. Therefor I find the road I mentioned as dramatic, based on when you drive from a place with ~20-30 meter high stone-walls on both sides, and then you get to this downhill part, where you get this great view over this great valley.
I see I wrote "highway" in my previous post, and maybe that's where it went wrong. Sometimes I use both highway and motorway for the same stuff, and Iæm sorry for that.

And me, I'm not a fan of Grorud-valley either

Old May 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #578
Ingenioren

^ There is a bit cool view of Drammen and Sandvika from E18... ;D I would say Bjørvika, but that is not a real motorway... ;D

image hosted on flickr
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #579
arashmordad
Thread Saver

Likes (Received): 60

HOLY SHIEßE, I would love to ride through those highways (except the one with the wave comin at it). Amazing land scapes dude, tussen takk.

Iranian Guys & Girls
Learn Persian (Farsi)
Iran..WOW
arashmordad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #580
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
The national tourist routes:
Rv86 - Senja: