daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #41
Oslo 5

Likes (Received): 0

Norway, home of pork barreling

The Norwegian Public Roads Administration (Statens vegvesen)http://www.vegvesen.no/servlet/Satel...tename=engelsk is responsible for planning, building and up keeping of national roads in Norway. The net pages describing the different road projects are only in Norwegian.http://www.vegvesen.no/servlet/Satel...holdMal&c=Page A resent study showed that Norway uses just as much on road construction as Sweden and Denmark, but the decision-making is quite different. In Norway almost all such decisions are some sort of pork barrelling (done in the parliament, versa Sweden and Denmark to a larger distinct trust upon the departments of transportation and/or road authorities).
Oslo 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #42
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Nice compilation of pix! What's the total length of Norwegian motorways (precisely, if possible)?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #43
Oslo 5

Norway has of today around 270km of motorways

Norway has of today around 270km of motorways. It is very popular to complain about the state of Norwegian roads and the phase of new building, but there is little or none effort done to change the decision-making process which is the main reason of the way recourses are distributed to infrastructure investments.
Concerning the highways connecting Oslo and Bergen (E16/R7), will this be a rather silly place to start. Some parts are her of pore condition, but work/planning fore these parts are under way. But the need of a motorway all the way is greatly overestimated by some populists and ill-informed pressures groups. The road traffic between Oslo and Bergen are extremely low (under 2000 vehicles pr day). The rescores ere best spend were there in fact are severely problems. The R7 is not closed during winter (as some other even less trafficked mountain roads are) but due to the extreme weather condition over ‘Hardangervidda’ (1250m) , it might be closed for some days at the time during winter, but most often only at night (about 530 hours pr year).
Old February 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #44
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ Thanks! I knew it was more than 150 or 200 km.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #45
AmiDelf

Likes (Received): 3

4 lane motorways is under 200km long. Norway got lots of B class motorways, which are 2 lanes only, but without crossings. Those cant be counted as real motorways though.
AmiDelf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #46
Oslo 5

Pick a number; 180, 270 or 664

I have seen the number 180km (2003), and I have seen 270km as of today, but neither are official numbers, of which I can’t find any. The larger number might or might not take in account all 4 lane expressways as Ring 3, Rv 4, Rv 163, Rv 190 and parts of E6 and E18 in Oslo of which none has full motorway standard. The lower number probably excludes these sections and of course those parts opened since ’03. But if you include all 2 lane expressways, the number are much higher (664km according to CIA World Fact book). Eider way, this is a way to low number, but this has more to do with pork barrelling than anything else.

Last edited by Oslo 5; February 27th, 2007 at 03:19 AM.
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #47
GuyFromMoss
Real Norwegian

Likes (Received): 1

There are no "B class motorways" in Norway anymore. Motorway have to have four lanes to be called motorways in Norway.
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #48
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Here are some pictures of Norwegian carriageways. These are not mine, I just found them online.

This road looks exactly like a US highway

Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:29 PM   #49
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

The Norwegian motorway (4+ lanes with correct signposting) network is currently - as someone have already stated - approx. 270 kms. In addition to this, there are about 60 kms of reasonable quality limited-access mulitlane highways around some cities (Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim, Kristiansand). By 2010, the network will increase by about 90 kms (mainly through duelling of single-carriageway expressways). By 2015, the network will have increased by a further 200+ kms. That is if everything goes according to plan, which it rarely does up here...

In addition to this, a Swedish invention has become increasingly popular amongst the Norwegian road authorities: the narrow 4-lane road. Originally conceived as one way of widening Sweden's extensive 2-lane, 13-metre wide, road network to something resembling motorways (16 metres across with a centre guard rail), it has been introduced in Norway as a way of building motorways on the cheap.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:32 PM   #50
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

I heard the limit on Norwegian motorways are 90 or 100 km/h (and further 80 km/h). Is it 90 and 100 when signed, or 100 and 90 when signed? Btw, why don't you raise your speed limits? With such long distances in your country it takes quite long to travel with those low limits.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:36 PM   #51
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

Norway is very mountainous. I think you may be happy to even reach 90km/h on many stretches. Although speed limits on motorways are low. They better raise them to 120km/h.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:07 PM   #52
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 916

But someone who wants to go from Oslo or Bergen to Nordkapp by car can do it? are there highways?
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:11 PM   #53
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is a road to the Nordkapp yes. But don't expect motorway-like roads. The roads are very quiet, Norway is large and has only a population of 4.3 million. Especially north of Trondheim.

But the usual road from Europe to the Nordkapp is through Sweden and Finland, because that's shorter.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM   #54
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Norway is very mountainous. I think you may be happy to even reach 90km/h on many stretches. Although speed limits on motorways are low. They better raise them to 120km/h.
There's been talk about raising the speed limits on some new motorways. I think the reason motorways are still limited to 90 or 100 km/h is because people aren't used to real (extra-urban) motorways and so the normal speed limits have applied there as well. Norway only has two standard speed limits, for urban roads (80) and country roads (50), while most other countries also have one for motorways. I remember when I was a kid and we drove in Sweden how exciting it was to see speed limits with three digits. The roads of course had a much better quality (and the terrain was much easier to build in) to support these limits.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM   #55
ChrisZwolle
Road user

http://nexus.fizyka.amu.edu.pl/digit...-07..Norwegia/

Very cool photo's done by some Polish guy, so all credits go to him.
(taken from the Polish subforum on SSC).
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #56
GuyFromMoss
Real Norwegian

It's a shame that there aren't more photos of Norwegian motorways online. Some of them is really top class!
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #57
igorlan
אני חושב, משמע אני קיים

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromMoss View Post
It's a shame that there aren't more photos of Norwegian motorways online. Some of them is really top class!
I'll try to take some in October, though I'll fly there but certainly I'll have an access to the car

P.S. I used to take a ferry from Moss to Horten, my family lives in Tonsberg
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #58
GuyFromMoss
Real Norwegian

WHAT?

I currently live in Tønsberg. Weird!
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #59
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, you guys are almost family