daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #801
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

Welcome to the new forumer, Jonas84!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas84 View Post
[IMG]http://i32.************/zlaw00.jpg[/IMG]
This just make me want to get out and drive in 120. The only reasonable speed limit for roads like this. Maybe a change of government will finally allow that...

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #802
Jonas84

Likes (Received): 1

Thanks IceCheese!

Norway still has a very limited network of motorways. Within few years this network will continue to expand. With a larger network of top quality motorways, the question about rising the speed limit will be brought up again. I don't think we will be stuck at 100 km/h forever.
Jonas84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #803
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I really hope you guys will go to 120 km/h. Sweden and Denmark's 110 km/h was also not enforcable. The Danes already increased that to 130, and the Swedes seems to be following with various test sites with 120 km/h.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #804
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

I wonder how well that license plate photo and bill in the mail thing works with foreign drivers. I hear, even within the EU, some countries are very reluctant (or refuse) to give out registration data after traffic violations - regardless of current EU laws.
The whole procedure also seems quite time consuming and expensive, so it really makes little sense to send out bills for small amounts.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #805
koloite

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
I wonder how well that license plate photo and bill in the mail thing works with foreign drivers. I hear, even within the EU, some countries are very reluctant (or refuse) to give out registration data after traffic violations - regardless of current EU laws.
The whole procedure also seems quite time consuming and expensive, so it really makes little sense to send out bills for small amounts.
Basic answer: They don't bother sending the bills, at least if you only pass a couple of them. I've passed several of them with two different German cars, but never received any bills. And even if they did, there is no way they can actually get the money if the one that is billed is not willing to pay (except for other Scandinavia-based people).
koloite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #806
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 919

They send out to foreigners, but it's a bit troubly. There was a case where some Swedes who never have been to Norway got bills. The case was some Lithuanians should've gotten it, but the plates are so alike the system messed them up.

Take a look at my Photo Mess!
IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #807
Melankolic

I know polish people who have got bills. It was strange because they have got bills from "recovery office" in UK. I think bomringen i Bergen sold debets to other and they try to recover money.
Melankolic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #808
koloite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melankolic View Post
I know polish people who have got bills. It was strange because they have got bills from "recovery office" in UK. I think bomringen i Bergen sold debets to other and they try to recover money.
AFAIK the ones being sent from the 'recovery office' in London are the ones where you pass a toll plaza in the subscription lane, where you should have stopped to pay in the 'non-subscription' lane (i.e. this does not apply to the fully automatic toll plazas).

And yes, I've got one of those as well... And that was an honest mistake. Normally I do stop and pay at these toll plazas.
koloite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #809
SuperSergei

Likes (Received): 0

I took some pictures on my way to Oslo today. Picture nr 1 starts from Vestby on E6 about 45 km south of Oslo.

The Nordbytunnel

Yellow speed signs (Roadwork area)

The entrance (to the left) to the new tunnel at Vinterbro

Entering the road which is going to be replaced with a new road on the 9th of september 2009 at 09:09:09 AM

The Ringnestunnel

A roundabout made just for "roadwork" traffic.

Watch out for Moose

A bad picture of the new tunnel, see last pic for more photos of the new tunnel.

A "animal crossing" tunnel

Not very often you see people walking along this road.

A sign saying "Automatic tolling in Oslo"

Welcome to Oslo

The "tolling" system.

Entering the ringroad nr 3 in Oslo at "Ryen".

The "Brynstunnel"

Leaving the ringroad...

and continuing on E6 direction north.

A photo from the new E6 at Assurtjern(Direction south), which is finished the 9th of september

The same tunnel at Vinterbro
SuperSergei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #810
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

I also know some Germans that have got hefty (and rather threatening) claims from that same service after being bad boy in the toll ring of Trondheim, which is kind of interesting since the German licence registers supposedly are not public (like the Norwegians ones). Still, there are probably some foreign cars that can get away with not paying the fines, but the loss in income from foreign cars because of the automatic system is much less than the savings in costs when getting rid of the manual payments. However, if you are from any of the Nordic countries you do not have a chance, as these countries cooperate.

BTW: For some reason I was a bit trigged by the Trondheim-Bergen highway issue, and will be back.....
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #811
SuperSergei

Likes (Received): 0

*Bump*

Last edited by SuperSergei; August 17th, 2009 at 11:12 PM.
SuperSergei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #812
Hansadyret

Likes (Received): 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjello0 View Post
When it comes to motorway north of Bergen I'm pretty unsure with the need of that. Traffic going to and from Bergen will mostly use the current E 39. So the traffic going on the new road will only be traffic that bypasses Bergen. And I don't think that will be enough to defend a motorway.
My prediction is that the motorways to the north,south and west from Bergen will be extended before anything is done to the east(E16) as these are the areas that the Bergen-area is growing fastest.
A motorway to the east will probably stop at the Osterøy bridge for the next 50 years. The road from Bergen to the Sognefjord(E39) is actually starting to improve with the exception of a short stretch before Romarheim. It even has some bypassing lines wich the E16 has nothing of and should have.
I wonder if it ever would be possible to cross the Sognefjord with a bridge? It sure would be HUGE. It is way to deep to cross with a underwater tunnel, over 1300 meters in some areas.
Hansadyret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #813
Hansadyret

Likes (Received): 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasmurf View Post
Are there any plans on building bridges/tunnels making it possible to drive from Haugesund to Bergen?
Yes, as someone mentioned there are early planning for the Hordfast project. The politicians in Hordaland have been to occupied with getting the new motorway to Os in place first. The construction of this project will start in 2010 with the cost of B3,2 NOK. Now their attention probably will shift towards the Hordfast project.
Hansadyret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #814
54°26′S 3°24′E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansadyret View Post
I wonder if it ever would be possible to cross the Sognefjord with a bridge? It sure would be HUGE. It is way to deep to cross with a underwater tunnel, over 1300 meters in some areas.
While it is true that Sognefjorden is extremely deep, it is only 100-200 m at the threshold left by the ice at the opening/mouth of the fjord. I guess that is why Kjello placed his crossing there. A bridge would be impossible, more than a km or two would have an astronomic cost, see earlier discussion regarding prospects and suggestions for Trondheimfjorden crossing (which is also deep and wide).

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; August 20th, 2009 at 12:54 AM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #815
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

The reason I placed my crossing there is becouse the fjord is only 170-80 meters deep at one section there.
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #816
54°26′S 3°24′E

Roughly how long will such a tunnel be?
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #817
Kjello0

Likes (Received): 70

That depends on where you want the exit at the island Losna. As it's mostly mountain it's probably the best solution to place the exit at the north side, in direct contact to the bridge that will be needed over Storakersund. That alone would make the tunnel about 6 km longer. The subsea part would probably be around 10 km. So in total about 16 km I guess.
Kjello0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:40 AM   #818
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 584

New type of sign is used for a the roundabout at Carl Berners plass in Oslo, i think it really sucks..(!)):
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:49 AM   #819
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Roundabout or city block?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:56 AM   #820
NorthStar77
Born to run

Likes (Received): 5

^a roundabout shaped like a rectangle. I'm quite sceptical how this will work, it is a very trafficated intersection with 20.000 to 30.000 AADT. It seems like rv4, that goes through it will be narrowed from 2-3 lanes in each direction to one!

It looked like this before

Last edited by NorthStar77; August 21st, 2009 at 11:04 AM.
NorthStar77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
norway